Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On "This Island Earth" I know people like that movie, but I have to admit, 50's and 60's sci fi, it's super influential, and I appreciate it, but I never really find myself liking it very much. Even the big one, "Forbidden Planet" there was some real cool stuff in that movie but it just dragged a lot of it's run time. If for nothing else, I appreciate George Lucas and Steven Spielberg for bringing decent pacing to adventure and sci fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

Reptilicus and oddly enough Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

It's why I like the Reptilicus episode even if the pacing is flawed; I remember watching it as a kid on TV.

My mom got a copy of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians for my dad along with a still from the movie off ebay (The part where Santa is laughing at the food pills) based on the title alone so we watched it on Christmas one year.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I never saw any MST3K movies before MST3K did them, but I remember one time my stepmother was telling me about an awful killer worm movie she saw as part of a double feature when she was a kid that turned out to be Squirm.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

All of the Godzilla and Gamera films, Lost Continent, Earth vs the Spider, This Island Earth, Deadly Mantis, Gorgo, Reptilicus, Land that Time Forgot, At The Earth's Core.
Also, Phase IV and Legend of Dinosaurs from the KTMA season, but I've never actually sat trough a KTMA episode. I also saw Wizards of the Lost Kingdom I as a Rifftrax VOD before they pulled it, but that probably doesn't count.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Forbidden Planet is a good movie

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

Forbidden Planet is a good movie

It is, but it is also slow in a way that sci fi movies just are in that time period. Good sci fi and adventure of the time moves like bad drama of the time, it just seems inexplicable to the format. It's funny Lucas and Spielberg turned pacing around in those genres because everyone else in the 70's was busy forgetting how to pace.

It also probably doesn't help that square jawed hero is the single most boring archetype in film and sci fi of the period wallows in it's Gristle McThornbody's,

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 29, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How can anyone not like Forbidden Planet? It’s legitimately great. At the very least, you should be able to appreciate Robby the Robot and Leslie Nielsen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I saw a bunch of the giant monster flicks before the guys got their hands on them. Godzilla and Gamera, Reptilicus, Gorgo and even the Deadly Mantis.* (Yongary was new.) Also the second Black Lagoon movie and I think Laserblast.

*Deadly Mantis seems to be one of the lost episodes. It's not to be found or was ever found aside from its run on TV.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Proteus Jones posted:

WFLD used to show a lot of those on Sat afternoons, as well. And I *think* they did Kung Fu movies in the late AM as well.

They did indeed! I believe back then on Saturdays, WFLD showed a kung fu movie around like noon, a "Creature Feature" show that was just old horror movies (and maybe the Godzilla etc. movies, too) shown straight up (no hosts or anything) around 2 PM, and then I think Sven used to come on around late afternoon/early evening (with another showing around 10 PM IIRC).

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

*Deadly Mantis seems to be one of the lost episodes. It's not to be found or was ever found aside from its run on TV.

Uhhhhh: https://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Science-Theater-3000-XXVII/dp/B00C7E3E6E

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And it's with the amazing The Village of the Giants! Thank you!

I liked Willow.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone wants the Kickstarter editions of the Season 11 set on DVD or Blu-ray (with the exclusive bonus disc), it's only $65 on MST3K.com:
https://season12.mst3k.com/season11/lastcall

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

World Famous W posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw Squirm on tv at some point in the 90s. I can't be totally sure since it was just a random syndicated movie on tv some weekend afternoon when I was a kid but I feel pretty sure. I was curious to see if it actually was syndicated like that and I found this that seems to confirm it was pretty widely sold into syndication.

http://www.thterrortime.com/movies/horror/necromantic-cinematheque-4-squirm/

Also apparently the director was a whiny jerk about it being on MST3K. Well while I was looking for the info on syndication, I saw that on IMDB it says the scene where the tree falls into the house was completely real, the actors were actually running from a tree dropped from a crane that landed feet away from them. Honestly that's pretty loving stupid to put the actors at risk like that so he seems like kind of an rear end to begin with. I also found out the screeching sounds from the worms in that movie are actually sped up recordings of hogs screaming in a slaughter house. That's pretty disturbing but it is a horror movie I suppose!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dixville posted:

Also apparently the director was a whiny jerk about it being on MST3K. Well while I was looking for the info on syndication, I saw that on IMDB it says the scene where the tree falls into the house was completely real, the actors were actually running from a tree dropped from a crane that landed feet away from them. Honestly that's pretty loving stupid to put the actors at risk like that so he seems like kind of an rear end to begin with. I also found out the screeching sounds from the worms in that movie are actually sped up recordings of hogs screaming in a slaughter house. That's pretty disturbing but it is a horror movie I suppose!

Yeah, he spends some time on the commentary complaining about Best Brains.

Edit: Here's the email he sent to the MST discussion board because apparently he thought they were Best Brains?

The noted director of Squirm posted:

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:04:33 EST
Subject: SQUIRM

Hey guys,

When the Sci Fi channel first contacted me to tell me that Squirm was being shown on your show I went ballistic. NOT for the reason you're probably thinking. It was because Squirm
'plays' on it's own, constantly, on cable, broadcast, virtually everywhere in the world. When Don Zacherly invented the form you guys are shamelessly 'me too' copying, he ran only either public domain films or hopelessly slow Mummy movies which did not sell at all to television anymore, so the distributors figured it was found money. But I freaked out because some bozo salesman at Orion, knowing their library was being sold to MGM, must have booked a last minute sale, with total disregard to the damage he was doing to the title. If the film DIDN'T sell over and over again throughout the world after 28 years, I would have been all for any found money sale out there, even to your unoriginal, tired 'idea' of goofing on old B movie show. Casandra Peterson at least has the class to say ( to me) that she's Zacherly with tits.

Here's a little tip off guys, I made Squirm when i was 25 years old.. AS A GOOF! Everything in that film is intentional, especially the over the top Southern crap which we new Yawkers were all goofing on -- none of us even been in the south before we shot there. (We were supposed to shoot in New England but the weather turned before we got it all together.) To see you geniuses pointing this stuff out is painful to me-- to think the current audience is that unhip that this amateur attempt at comedy sh*t actually floats? I COULD GOOF ON CITIZEN KANE and make it funnier than your stuff, but I'd rather spend my time being creative. Easiest thing to do is goof on stuff... it's a schoolyard staple. But hey, guess you have legions of brain dead 'fans' who just flat out don't know any better. Lemme know when you do something original and I'll be sure to check it out. I'm open to being wrong but my gut tells me it won't happen. More likely you'll do mst3k two and rip yourselves off.

best regards Jeff Lieberman

Bonus points for 'I WOULD BE FUNNIER THAN YOU GUYS.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 30, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I also like how he insists they "stole their shtick" from Zacherly who was a horror host who would occasionally comment on the movie by switching the video to him while the movie soundtrack continued. Yeah that's totally the exact same thing!

Also he goes back and forth between saying the movie was well respected on the same level as Rocky, and "I made it as a goof!"

I'm glad it pissed him off that his movie was used on MST3K, I think that actually adds to the appeal of it at this point.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dixville posted:

I also like how he insists they "stole their shtick" from Zacherly who was a horror host who would occasionally comment on the movie by switching the video to him while the movie soundtrack continued. Yeah that's totally the exact same thing!

He also doesn't get Zacherley's name right: it's not Don but John, and either Zacherle or Zacherley. And it's Cassandra Peterson, not Casandra.

Clearly demonstrating the same keen attention to detail that made his film what is it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And then there's Svengoolie and Elvira and a bunch of other random horror host-esque folks. MST didn't steal a shtick, they tapped into the zeitgeist (I think that's the right word) of dead airtime cheap cable shows and, like everyone else, made it their own. Some adaptations stuck, some didn't. MST in particular, with the running commentary, became an integral part of their show that the more typical hosts who just did interstitials didn't. And so while some hosts may stick around in the memory for iconic looks (Elvira's got a couple of big reasons people remember her) I don't think there any where the episodes themselves really stuck around in the same way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dixville posted:

Also he goes back and forth between saying the movie was well respected on the same level as Rocky, and "I made it as a goof!"

I'm glad it pissed him off that his movie was used on MST3K, I think that actually adds to the appeal of it at this point.

Can we also laugh at him for essentially saying 'if you like the movie it was good, if you didn't it was SATIRE you didn't get?'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
There's a few films that showed up on MST3k that I'd already seen as a kid, but the one that sticks out the most is the one I didn't see, because my mother deemed it too scary: The Incredible Melting Man.

I remember ads for it on TV, and the concept simultaneously scared the crap out of me and my nephew (who is three years younger than I am) and inspired a hell of a lot of crazy let's-pretend games. A lot of Saturday afternoons were spent outside playing The Incredible Melting Man and despite having only the vaguest of ideas what the plot was. I've still got a photo somewhere of my 7 or 8 year old nephew 'melting'.

Original trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc6pGJZ8Xd4

I was between 10 and 11 years old at the time, lived in a house that bordered a dark woods, and was scared of the dark (thanks to an rear end in a top hat older brother) -- so that trailer freaked us little kids out.

Watching it now, it's like, 'You chose THOSE clips of Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Nelson. to highlight your film? Where he's shouting to be heard over the cheese rendering machines?'

Nelson, Nelson

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Edit: Here's the email he sent to the MST discussion board because apparently he thought they were Best Brains?

Reading this letter reminds me of nothing so much as Mark Discordia, the guy who wrote to Nintendo Power and then later got into a fight with Seanbaby.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Can we also laugh at him for essentially saying 'if you like the movie it was good, if you didn't it was SATIRE you didn't get?'

Now known as the Wiseau Gambit.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Don't do this in Cinema Discusso, where this seems to be some people's take on Zach Snider films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Squirm's guy probably upset that the "hero" of his film went on to have a FAR more successful career than him:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0769135/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Dude produced 30 Rock!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

World Famous W posted:

The Christmas That Almost Wasn't was one of our family's traditional yearly Christmas season watches and I still think of it as a classic. :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We had a bad movie night growing up and one of the movies was Soultaker.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

We had a bad movie night growing up and one of the movies was Soultaker.

A friend and I would do this. Soooo many bad movies. "U.S. Catman in Lethal Track": Two films with no relation edited together to make one movie. It's also one in a series.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319153/

Sticks of Death:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0201178/?ref_=nv_sr_1

And I can't remember what it was called, but there was one film we rented solely on the basis that the description on the back of the box said something like "Like most Americans, he learned martial arts in the jungles of Vietnam".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Some more I just remembered: Revenge of the Creature, The Killer Shrews, and Attack of the The Eye Creatures are all ones I remember seeing on Sven's show back in the day before I ever watched MST3K. And more recently, I watched Starcrash as part of a bad movie night well before it was used for season 11.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I read the short story 'Overdrawn at the Memory Bank' and thought it was pretty good, actually, so I watched the film when it came on TV in the UK. It wasn't as good but I still quite liked it for at least trying to do something like that.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I saw Giant Spider Invasion on some obscure channel as a kid. I remember they forgot to cut the topless shot. And I saw the very end of Village of the Giants ("One last offensive thing") sometime.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I made Squirm when i was 25 years old.. AS A GOOF! Everything in that film is intentional

The director of Incredible Melting Man also insists that the movie is obviously a comedy and everything "bad" in it is deliberate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Action Jacktion posted:

The director of Incredible Melting Man also insists that the movie is obviously a comedy and everything "bad" in it is deliberate.

Not quite. It was written and begun as a parody but the producers demanded it get turned into a straight horror film during production.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Action Jacktion posted:

I saw Giant Spider Invasion on some obscure channel as a kid. I remember they forgot to cut the topless shot. And I saw the very end of Village of the Giants ("One last offensive thing") sometime.

I don't think I posted what you quoted, as I most assuredly didn't make the movie "Squirm" :v:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Magic Sword was one of like three VHS tapes my grandparents had at their house, so it was much watched.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yep tried getting through Carnival Magic last night and couldn't. I can't stand chimpanzee movies for some reason

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Doltos posted:

Yep tried getting through Carnival Magic last night and couldn't. I can't stand chimpanzee movies for some reason

You monster :argh:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

In Mike Nelson's first book, he rips on Wild Things and makes that very same point.

Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese posted:

Some fans of the film will complain that my reviewing it as a "good-bad" film misses the intended satire, but to that I say, "Pah!" and even, "Nyeh?", perhaps a "Tcha!" I contend that making a film which is only part satire is hedging your bet, in a sense saying, "If you like it and think it's good, it's because it was a good thriller. If you think it stinks, then I meant it to be funny." It's a cowards way to make a movie, the kind of thing your expecting from Cousin Larry before Balkie set him straight. Besides, we're talking about John McNaughton here, the director of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, a film that flatly and graphically depicted the most heinous acts ever seen on screen. It's like a Sinbad movie with gore. He gets no slack from me. Face it, Mr. McNaughton, you made a lousy film that's so bad, it's funny.

By the way, if you can get it, Mike's Movie Megacheese is very good, and Mike Nelson's Mind Over Matters is screamingly funny.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mind Over Matters is great if just for his essay on lawn blowers.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll still stick to Diabolik being the one truly great film MST3K did. Not that it's a bad episode (it's one of the best), but I wish it were better known. It's a real blast, just like the rest of Mario Bava's filmography.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Egbert Souse posted:

Mind Over Matters is great if just for his essay on lawn blowers.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'll still stick to Diabolik being the one truly great film MST3K did. Not that it's a bad episode (it's one of the best), but I wish it were better known. It's a real blast, just like the rest of Mario Bava's filmography.

I swear to god 90% of the time I see someone using a leafblower they're blowing one leaf around for like 10 minutes. Just get a loving broom to get the rest! It actually would take you less time and effort! The noise drives me nuts not to mention the wastefulness. Luckily my white noise machine helps me ignore it enough to stay (mostly) sane.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
If KTMA counts I’d add Phase IV as another good movie. Directed by Saul Bass! C’mon!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Dawgstar posted:

It's odd how he admits to doing hackneyed Southern stereotypes and thinks that's somehow exculpatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TL posted:

In Mike Nelson's first book, he rips on Wild Things and makes that very same point.

By the way, if you can get it, Mike's Movie Megacheese is very good, and Mike Nelson's Mind Over Matters is screamingly funny.

I love him tearing into "The Mirror Has Two Faces", just for the audacity of Barbra Streisand casting Mimi Rogers to play her OLDER sister.