Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fourth Wall posted:

Yeah, that's why I said consoles.

Although if you held PC gaming to one era, like Win 9x, would there be more than 15-20?

Probably, assuming you look at Windows 95/Windows XP or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Fourth Wall posted:

A lot of weird choices on that list but I haven't played many of them.

For sure, the original Lufia has no business being on a best-of. It was a generic chore when I played it about a decade ago and I can't imagine that anything's changed since. Its sequel is awfully good though.

lufia 2 was one of my favorite snes games and i was shocked at how horrifically bad the first lufia was when i finally got around to playing it. i gave up after about 3 hours because i couldnt take how insanely grindy and difficult it was.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There's 3 games for Genesis that are loving awesome I never hear anyone mention.

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Fun platformer, amazing music, excellent and imaginative level design. Seriously this would be a great game to play with young kids

Quackshot starring Donald Duck

More strategy, open ended so you can play the levels in what order you want then figure out how to proceed. Great cast of Disney characters, challenging but fun.

Decap Attack starring Chuck D Head

The weirdest of the 3, but extremely innovative and fun with great powerups to collect and unique gameplay. It has a load of charm.

My opinion is also this. These three games were a large portion of my childhood video game time and why I maintain sega was the superior console. The lows were low but the highs were higher.

Decap Attack was so out there it never would've been made by nintendo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Terranigma is the best SNES game by far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Dungeon Keeper is the best PC game of the 90's. It's so much fun and so well presented.

Dungeon Keeper is good but it's no X-Com.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The overworld map in DK turning from pleasant to dark and horrible is one of the defining PC gaming experiences for me

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I was a Sega fan boy, but I secretly thought the SNES was amazing.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

Terranigma is the best SNES game by far.

Same good plot/bad gameplay like the other terranigmalikes. 6/10

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

EvilGenius posted:

I was a Sega fan boy, but I secretly thought the SNES was amazing.

My parents were divorcing and trying to buy my love, so I got both. :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Overall, Sega actually making good games was an anomaly and probably a fluke in their entire history.

YagotmeIdidit posted:

I hope you burn in hell.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Shibawanko posted:

Dungeon Keeper is the best PC game of the 90's. It's so much fun and so well presented.

e: wait no, it's Rollercoaster Tycoon. That's the best one.

I played Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 for like 8 hours straight last Saturday. Why do I remember rides blowing up/crashing? Was that 3?

Anyway Rollercoaster Tycoon is good. DinoPark Tycoon was good too you could put a wood fence around the T-Rex enclosure and just wait for the inevitable.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

13Pandora13 posted:

I played Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 for like 8 hours straight last Saturday. Why do I remember rides blowing up/crashing? Was that 3?

Anyway Rollercoaster Tycoon is good. DinoPark Tycoon was good too you could put a wood fence around the T-Rex enclosure and just wait for the inevitable.

You can definitely cause crashes in RCT2 but it requires an almost super-villain like malice or a Grover-like ineptitude.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

You can definitely cause crashes in RCT2 but it requires an almost super-villain like malice or a Grover-like ineptitude.

Well that explains why I had them frequently in elementary school.

(I was both)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Molothecat posted:

My opinion is also this. These three games were a large portion of my childhood video game time and why I maintain sega was the superior console. The lows were low but the highs were higher.

Decap Attack was so out there it never would've been made by nintendo.

:hfive: same my friend!

Sometimes pictures speak louder than words,

Seriously if you have kids these are quality poo poo, and they hold up well as platformers if you still play Mega Man or the like.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You could crash rollercoasters pretty easily if you made one of those shuttle loop ones or a rubber boat slide (the rubber boats explode)

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Sega also got weird with it, like the xmen game where you win by actually resetting the console after beating the final boss. The justification being the danger room was malfunctioning and you were "resetting it" to fix it.

That's pretty cool.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Seriously if you have kids these are quality poo poo, and they hold up well as platformers if you still play Mega Man or the like.

A buddy of mine had these, he had a sega and i had a snes, i was surprised how good the Disney games were. Super tight and fun. And the pepper rage with Donald.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Molothecat posted:

Sega also got weird with it, like the xmen game where you win by actually resetting the console after beating the final boss. The justification being the danger room was malfunctioning and you were "resetting it" to fix it.

That's pretty cool.

Its cool in retrospect but as a kid without internet access in the 90s gently caress that poo poo.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Rutibex posted:

fight me, find 48 games on this list that suck i dare you :colbert:

"suck" isn't the same as "fun for 15 minutes in 2018"

and that's almost all of them

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Another reason why videogames aren't art.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Graphic posted:

"suck" isn't the same as "fun for 15 minutes in 2018"

and that's almost all of them

no video game is worth playing for more than 15 min. my time is far too valuable

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

a bone to pick posted:

Its cool in retrospect but as a kid without internet access in the 90s gently caress that poo poo.

My grandma bought me Startropics at a yard sale so I got to the part with the submarine and welp, that was that.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Rutibex posted:

my time is far too valuable

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809896&pagenumber=297&perpage=40#post488445033

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

13Pandora13 posted:

Nah, in three death was cut out entirely for the e rating people/rides just bounced.

It was 1 and 2 where if you rolled the "station brake failure" break down your coaster trains would explode into a million pieces if they touched each other at 2mph.

You could greatly reduce the chance of that event by adding a break tile somewhere in the first game, and the second introduced block brakes that would prevent the bumplosion entirely if used.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
the reason i play 2d platformers almost exclusively these days is because they are satisfying to play for only 15 minutes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

all those games suck though.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

40 posts later I’m still in awe that someone had the audacity to put the original Starfox on a list of games that stand the test of time.

e: autocorrect

Dross fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 1, 2018

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dross posted:

40 posts later I’m still in awe that someone had the audacity to put the original Starfox on a list of games that stand the rest of time.

it exists, and I'm pretty sure no one can change that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm a tragic for the original Star Fox but even if you can accept that it only had like 20 polygons to go around I wouldn't expect anyone to learn to aim without a reticule.

Music kicks rear end tho.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
starfox would be cool if it ran at at least 20 fps insted of 2

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just gives us a Crimson Skies sequel or remake, ya fucks.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Graphic posted:

starfox would be cool if it ran at at least 20 fps insted of 2

You can oc the super fx chip in an emulator and get a higher frame rate but it’s still not a good game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-qqAluHP-w

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vakal posted:

Just gives us a Crimson Skies sequel or remake, ya fucks.

It's called Warhawk and it was released in 2007. Servers are still up if you dare.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I didn't get why everyone went crazy of starfox even when it came out. Game's ugly and boring.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I had a neighbour that stopped going to school for like 2 weeks because he was so addicted to Starfox, I never got the appeal either.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

I had a neighbour that stopped going to school for like 2 weeks because he was so addicted to Starfox, I never got the appeal either.

Because triangles were an exciting new shape.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's called Warhawk and it was released in 2007. Servers are still up if you dare.

This post just reminded me of Starhawk on PS3 and how fun that game was. I'd totally play a PS4 port or sequel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

This post just reminded me of Starhawk on PS3 and how fun that game was. I'd totally play a PS4 port or sequel.

Starhawk was amazing, especially conceptually, but it never had the simple balancing of Warhawk and ultimately was sent out to die at the end of the PS3s lifespan

Oh, and it also had a black main character and we know how much gamers hate those :suicide:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This reminds me of Colony Wars, I wonder how those games held up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Probably not unpopular depending on who you ask but pirating a game that's out of print and that's unobtainable new without paying a massive mark up is ok imo and the few people I've spoken to recently thatve gotten upset over this need to stop playing publisher stooge