Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Armand you enormous loving arsehole. :allears:

I love the bold creative direction the developers took. "A restaurant management game sounds boring. What if we made the protagonist a truly horrific human being?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Someone take one of the gifs of Armand dancing from the original game and put on sunglasses, a cigarette and put blingee on it that says "i gently caress french bitches"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
What happens if you stick to the same excuse throughout Delia's questioning? Does she still come to the same (correct) conclusion that he's screwing around on her?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

The_White_Crane posted:

Armand you enormous loving arsehole. :allears:

I love the bold creative direction the developers took. "A restaurant management game sounds boring. What if we made the protagonist a truly horrific human being?"

I love how incredibly indignant he gets at Delia's completely accurate accusations. “I can't believe you don't trust me!” There's not even a hint of insincerity to it either. I think Armand genuinely feels that Delia has wronged him by accusing him of cheating on her, and the fact that he actually is cheating on her does not give rise to any feelings of cognitive dissonance whatsoever.

habeasdorkus posted:

What happens if you stick to the same excuse throughout Delia's questioning? Does she still come to the same (correct) conclusion that he's screwing around on her?

It's the same thing, except you don't get that line about him not being able to keep his story straight. I just liked that they included that little trick of “do you remember what excuse you picked, player?”

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The only thing missing from Armand: Raging rear end in a top hat is him accusing Delia of cheating herself.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Robindaybird posted:

The only thing missing from Armand: Raging rear end in a top hat is him accusing Delia of cheating herself.

Never have I wanted a person to actually cheat on their SO more. Delia should hook up with the apprentice. They can learn to make actual soufflés together.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Episode 10: Nemesis - part 1

Armand, can I talk to you for a minute?

Sure George. What's up?

I've gone over the past couple of episodes and, I've got to be honest with you, they haven't been great.

What do you mean?

I don't know, you seem out of your element lately; like you're distracted or something. Are you ok? Anything you wanna tell me?

Armand doesn't give a gently caress.

Nope, no problems. I'm doing great actually.

You sure? Because we've seen the Nielsens and lately our ratings haven't been spectacular, you know?

As I said it's just a little fatigue with running my restaurants and the show. Trust me, I'm fine.

If that's what you say. Alright then. Well the other thing I wanted to talk to you about is the upcoming Grand Master Chef Contest.

Yeah sure, what about it?

You know, I just wanted to make sure that you're prepared and everything. I don't want my star to be on the losing side of the contest. Know what I mean?

Don't worry about it. Everything'll be fine. The title's in the bag.

I hope so. Coz if it doesn't pan out as well as we hope, then we could have some problems down the line.

All right, this mission's really simple. There's a cooking contest, and we have to win it. Let's go!

This isn't a little local contest like the one Ozkan had to do last mission. This is a five-round mega-contest. We'll be cooking breakfast, appetizer, soup, dessert and a main course. Let's smash it!

In the good guys' corner, our boy Armand! Who's that other guy that we're up against?

None other than Sergio Tristan! He was an employee of OmniFood in the last game who cleverly tricked us into revealing all our secret recipes to him by asking us for them. He's a cunning one, but Armand is the better chef!

Breakfast is usually pretty dire, but luckily we just recently bought an incredibly high quality breakfast recipe: three pounds of French fries.

I like this thing where we are now the evil, unbeatable restaurant giant, and OmniFood is the sympathetic underdog getting crushed under our heel.

Round two, appetizers. Our excellent tuna gazpacho which we also purchased quite recently. Armand's cooking skill with these new recipes isn't 100% yet, but they're just so good that it's still better to use these than to use something mediocre that we cook perfectly.

:yeshaha:

We don't actually have a great French soup, but the onion soup should be good enough. Don't bother checking, this recipe actually does contain onions, sadly.

They'll be crying at OmniFood tonight, and not just because of the onions. We haven't even brought out our big guns yet.

The fruit gratin is still our best dessert, just barely better than the nougat parfait with strawberries.

38 points ahead with only our strongest category to go.

The legendary stuffed lamb. Unfortunately we've run out of the foie gras supreme which in the last game boosted this recipe to a guaranteed 100% quality rating, but this should still be more than enough to crush that OmniFood upstart.

We're number one! Armand's home life is a mess and we're keeping half a dozen terrible restaurants on life support, but we're number one!

All right, but that was just the warm-up! This is the actual contest that we need to win, the World Grandmaster Cooking Contest. Four rounds where we can cook any recipe from the French, Italian, American and… German cuisines? I don't even know what German cuisine is!

Armand is up again. And who's the other contestant this time?

Edmund Valron! That scoundrel, he's back! He was the head of OmniFood and the final boss of the last game! Back for another round? Let's do it!

The first round is French food. Naturally, we'll cook the undefeatable stuffed lamb once again.

:stonk: What the gently caress it is not even POSSIBLE to get more than 100% quality!

Okay, maybe they wanted to make sure you didn't just coast to victory on the strength of the last game's winning recipe. Our three pounds of potatoes technically count as Italian, so we should do pretty well in this round. As long as we win the last three rounds, we'll be fine.

WHAT! We have to beat 99 points in the Italian round? We don't even have an Italian restaurant!

All right, it is on now. We got this gazpacho recipe from our chef friend Tyrone in the last game. If we channel our soul power, we'll be able to win this contest.

What is going on! This was WAY more fun when I was the one doing this to the other guy!!!

Apparently Armand knows a couple of German recipes? This one's quite good. Unfortunately, since he's literally never cooked this, it's going to be a little difficult to use it to win this round!

We lost?

No, gently caress that, this is unacceptable! I'll redo the contest until we beat it!

WHAT

IS

GOING

ON

I can't do it. It's not possible.

I'm sorry Armand, it's just the way it is. There's nothing I can do.

I can't believe this! Remember that YOU were the one who called ME! I never even wanted this in the first place!

Please understand this is not my call. The powers up in management are concerned that your profile has taken a hit with your loss at the Grand Masters…

…and so they just decided to fire me because I didn't win?

I did the best I could, and that still isn't good enough?!

It doesn't matter anymore. The only thing that mattered to them was that you win… unfortunately, you didn't. We're already off the schedule. I told you we'd be in a pickle if this happened…

You knew about this? You knew about this and you didn't tell me?!

Calm down Armand. Calm down… I had a feeling this might happen but I wasn't privy to any confidential information.

Our audience loves us. We've been getting great reviews ever since we started. And they're still willing to pull the plug?

We haven't been performing up to projected targets in months Armand! That's what I've been trying to tell you for weeks. I've tried to shield you from the network hoping you'd get back to your old self but it hasn't done you any good.

And you didn't at least try to convince them that we could turn it around?

I'm just a lowly producer, an employee like everyone else. Only the network execs have that kind of power.

I hate to tell you this but you've been living in a dream world Armand. The show's ratings have been on a freefall for a while.

I… I… I guess it's oven then…

I'm sorry, but it was coming.

… I'll see you around George. You've been a friend…

Maybe we can work together again some other time.

That's nice of you George. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Continued in part 2.

Enchanted Hat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 28, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
GET OWNED, ARMAND

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
I see what they're doing. They wanted to do-over the same underdog story from the first game, but they also wanted to use Armand again, so they're using a plotline to take away Armand's fame, fortune, and love life so we can have a story about him getting a new one despite the odds.

Only they're super bad at this and they accidentally made him deserve losing everything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Please tell me part 2 is Armand eating his gun, and we play as Della the rest of the game

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Please tell me part 2 is Armand eating his gun, and we play as Della the rest of the game

Or Valron, taking over the show. He's got a nice "what if a warlock was a chef" look going on that I didn't appreciate in the first game.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Armands going to lose half his restaurants in the divorce, then you're going to have to make the remaining restaurants profitable enough to make monthly "alimony and child support payments"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You switch over to Delia's sister so now all you have is Patisseries. Have fun!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ugh. They're going to go for a redemption arc without actually doing anything to make Armand likable or sympathetic. I can just feel it.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
This is some Bojack Horseman poo poo. Dude is just pitiful enough that you feel for him, but just enough of a prick that you can't say he deserves better.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I like how the guinea fowl recipe has 3.2 grams of guinea fowl and 259.2 grams of chicken in it. That's so Armand.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hahaha, suck cinnamon Armand! :cawg:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Fates End posted:

I see what they're doing. They wanted to do-over the same underdog story from the first game, but they also wanted to use Armand again, so they're using a plotline to take away Armand's fame, fortune, and love life so we can have a story about him getting a new one despite the odds.

Only they're super bad at this and they accidentally made him deserve losing everything.

That's not quite it, though, because he wasn't a TV star hanging out with Hollywood celebrities and banging mistresses in the first game. The game has raised Armand up high, and now he's crashing down as punishment for his hubris.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Armand posted:

What the gently caress it is not even POSSIBLE to get more than 100% quality!

Edmund Valron posted:

Well you see Armand, I was the head chef of Omnifood for twenty years. I know people who know things. So I blackmailed the judges. Oh don't look at me like that, Don LeBoeuf. Yes, I know all about your little arrangement with the Corleones. But that's all through now. *twirls moustache* Why don't you slink away like the whipped dog you are? I hear your wife's patisseries need more waiting staff. Hahahahahaha!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Hey also can we talk for a second about the idea that someone's television deal would come down to a single competition instead of like... charisma, or a following, which he clearly lacks if the show is doing that terribly?

People don't watch a cooking show purely because the dude running it has five gold medals instead of four golds and a silver, or whatever.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

The_White_Crane posted:

Well you see Armand, I was the head chef of Omnifood for twenty years. I know people who know things. So I blackmailed the judges. Oh don't look at me like that, Don LeBoeuf. Yes, I know all about your little arrangement with the Corleones. But that's all through now. *twirls moustache* Why don't you slink away like the whipped dog you are? I hear your wife's patisseries need more waiting staff. Hahahahahaha!

If only this game had writing this decent.

Its no quite believable that Armand would lose 'everything' just because he lost a cooking competition, though details like that have never mattered to the !plot of this game.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

I'd love it if the game had characterisation like that for Valron. Instead of, you know, nothing whatsoever.

MaxieSatan posted:

Hey also can we talk for a second about the idea that someone's television deal would come down to a single competition instead of like... charisma, or a following, which he clearly lacks if the show is doing that terribly?

People don't watch a cooking show purely because the dude running it has five gold medals instead of four golds and a silver, or whatever.

Well, George talks about how Armand's show has been terrible for a while and slipping in the ratings. I'm guessing that George or someone else at the studio had argued "just wait until Armand wins and becomes the top chef in the world, we can use that in marketing and maybe that'll improve our numbers" or something like that. But since Armand hosed up his last chance, now they're cutting their losses.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

That would be more compelling if Armand wasn't already the best chef on earth, methinks...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Armand you glorious gently caress. :getin: :yeshaha:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CourValant posted:

Its no quite believable that Armand would lose 'everything' just because he lost a cooking competition, though details like that have never mattered to the !plot of this game.

Yeah, it's exactly how OmniFood lost everything last game, too!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
See, this is the kind of thing that would have made sense last game when they kept talking about evil Omnifood cheating in competitions with their illegal ingredients.

But I'll accept it here, too. :v:

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
After losing to Armand in the last game, Valron spent 2 years training in the Himalayas to transcend the food rating system and bring back affordable, yet delicious food. We thought this game was about Armand's rise, fall, and redemption, but it was actually Valron's.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Should have brought back the pounds of foie gras and cinnamon, Armand!

I would have expected the game to at least mention OmniFood in the dialogue, but I guess the devs forgot about the previous games' plot :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Armand really should know the warning signs of a scripted defeat.

But then he seems to have forgotten everything else he learned, so not really surprising.

Glad to see Edmund getting some actual proper use at least.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Episode 10: Nemesis - part 2

We've lost. Armand has lost the cooking championship and his TV show has been cancelled. We are undone.

Defeated and humiliated, he returns to Treize à Table a broken man, looking to find solace in our wine cabinets.

What could he have done to deserve such a cruel fate? No one can tell.

A guest wants a word with Armand. Our debt is already higher than ever, so this is just kicking us when we're down. What do they want now?

Armand, my good friend! It's me Klaus. Do you remember me?

Klaus? But the Klaus I remembered was this beardless young man in his twenties. You look different my friend, good but different!

Is Klaus supposed to have a beard? Did they forget?

Haha Danke, danke! Always the joker eh Armand? But look at you. A world renowned chef now. How about that!

Ah, it's nothing to do with me really. Just a bit of luck that's all. But come, come. Let's sit over here and let us catch up a bit for old times sake…

… and that's what happened. Bad business this show business I tell you…

It sounds to me like you badly need a vacation my friend. How about you come back with me to Munich for a month or so? You look like your ready to break down any second now.

Ah, you're a good friend Klaus. But I can't leave my restaurants … There are just too many responsibilities involved for any one person to handle…

Nonsense! You have some of the best chefs in the world working for you. I'm sure these people are not idiots. What's the real reason why you're so afraid of leaving?

… These last few weeks have been the most horrible moments of my professional career. I feel like I can't just leave it like this. There has to be something I can do…

Look man you're stuck in a rut. Anything you do now with regards to your marriage or your career will only make it worse. You need to take a step back from the problem. Get a little breather, know what I mean?

As for your restaurants, they'll survive without you. Those things practically run themselves already. Believe me; you won't do anybody any favors by staying here no matter how good your intentions…

It's a small thing, but I like how someone else is now doing the denigrating "running a few cafés? Pfft, that's easy. Those things practically run themselves :smug:" thing to Armand and his restaurants.

Every man eventually has to take a break sometime. What have you got to lose?

I guess you could be right…

I am right.

Actually if you could believe it, I'm here for my own vacation. My restaurant in Munich was stressing me out you see. But look at me, I'm as fresh as a daisy now.

You should have seen me a few months ago… not a pretty sight. I'm telling you Armand, a vacation would do wonders for your peace of mind.

Heck, you could even handle my restaurant if you really can't take your mind away from the kitchen. And you can learn German cuisine along the way. God knows a chef like you would do wonders to a place like that! Hahaha…

I have felt very tired lately…

It's settled then. I'll take you to Munich for your much needed time off!

Yeah, screw Paris and Los Angeles, we're going to Munich! Armand's now going to run Klaus' German restaurant while he keeps an eye on Treize à Table for us.

And it… what the gently caress is this? This is some of the grossest default décor yet. Also, way to run a restaurant with only six tables, Klaus.

Early next day, I hire staff, rearrange the tables and open our new restaurant, "Heiliger Klaus" or "Holy Klaus". I'm, er, not sure why it's called that? I make no significant changes to the décor other than switching the tables to "The Supreme Merkel Set", because how could I not?

These two paintings are titled "Michael Bluth" and "George Bluth". I don't know why they're called that, but I think some texture modding is in order.

So, are German restaurants any good, or will this be yet another drag on our one good restaurant?

The answer is yes, German restaurants are awesome in this game. What's more, we finally have a new restaurant with a beverage menu! And in my German restaurant, you can drink red wine, you can drink white wine or you can gently caress off.

I also add a couple of food dishes to the menu, which, I don't know, I guess some people will be interested in. Unfortunately, we know very few German recipes, so there are only six dishes on our menu excluding breakfast items.

Shortly after opening, I try to buy a recipe off a customer, but then I realise that I don't have enough money! Time to take on some more debt.

Immediately after that, I get a chance to spend some of that borrowed money on this recipe. Is there a "no pizza rules" equivalent for parfaits that I've never heard about? Because if there were parfait rules, I'm pretty sure this would be breaking all of them.

I also buy this. Listen, game, I'm never going to complain about getting a chocolate doughnut, but I really need some German recipes right now!

It's lunchtime on the first day at Heiliger Klaus, and we're nearly full already. Heiliger Klaus is so much better than the cafés and patisseries, it's unreal. If Delia divorces Armand, he should marry Klaus.

While Armand is taking care of Klaus' restaurant in Munich, Klaus has taken charge at Treize à Table. Our original restaurant has gotten so busy that I've had to expand the kitchen to a three-chef setup. Unfortunately, Klaus knows nothing about French food, so all the food he cooks is going to be terrible for a while.

My massive investment in patisserie recipes is almost complete. I've just researched the penultimate recipes for each of the five categories. This is a really nice, high-quality cakes, pies & tarts recipe.

This is our new cookies & pastries recipe. This is actually the ultimate recipe rather than the penultimate because our cookies & pastries research was more advanced than the other categories for some reason. It's a, um, chocolate-free, savoury cheese éclair?

Our penultimate ice cream & soberts recipe. I'll give 'em this one.

Penultimate puddings & gelatin recipe. It breaks my heart to see a crème brûlée recipe based on light cream. I'll add it to the menu, but very reluctantly!

And finally the penultimate patisserie beverage. I'm not sure exactly what makes this recipe "smoothied", but I do know that mixing mint and orange is a very, very good idea.

I've been running Heiliger Klaus with a discounted menu and a lot of advertising spend in order to increase customer numbers. Excluding the advertising spend, Heiliger Klaus made about $42,000 last month, which is almost as much as all of our coffee shops and patisseries put together. Of course, Treize à Table is still the jewel in our crown, earning $87,000 excluding advertising. But that's with three chefs – Heiliger Klaus only has one. Once we get one or two more chefs in here and I remove the menu discounts, Heiliger Klaus may well eclipse Treize à Table!

And we win the mission! Armand has a fresh start and a new place to hide from his problems in Germany. More importantly, we have our second good restaurant!

While German restaurants are absolutely incredible in terms of making money, they're a bit lacking in the décor department. These are the wall, floor and unique table options

And these are the wall- and floor-mounted decorations.

Thread poll: what décor should we have in Heiliger Klaus?

Vote on wall, floor and table design. For example, to vote for wall type C, floor type D and table type B, vote "CDB". The winning combination will be whatever has the most votes when I play the next mission. Also, let me know if you want me to add any of the floor or wall decorations.

Also, since we have more money coming in and I'm almost done researching patisserie recipes, we need some more recipe research topics! I'm going to be investing in German main courses just to ensure that we'll at least have something to serve at our new restaurant. Everything else I'll leave to you guys! Let me know if you think I should research any of the recipe types below. We should be able to afford an additional five topics at least.

Research topics

French breakfast
French appetizers
French soups
French main courses
French desserts - COMPLETE

Italian breakfast
Italian appetizers
Italian soups
Italian main courses
Italian desserts

American breakfast
American appetizers
American soups
American main courses
American desserts - COMPLETE

Coffee shop hot coffee
Coffee shop iced coffee
Coffee shop tea - COMPLETE
Coffee shop other drinks - COMPLETE
Coffee shop food - COMPLETE

Dessert house cakes, pies & tarts - Researching
Dessert house cookies & pastries - COMPLETE
Dessert house ice cream & soberts - Researching
Dessert house puddings & gelatin - Researching
Dessert house beverages - Researching

German breakfast
German appetizers
German soups
German main courses - Researching
German desserts

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Starting German recipes

Enchanted Hat posted:

quote:

Will we spend the rest of the game selling brain based dishes or will we specialize in blood based dishes?
Blood.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

C,E and whichever table is the Merkel Special.

Research German desserts because I wanna see if they gently caress up and put German chocolate cake in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
$8.20 for a single chocolate donut. Incredible.

DFB for maximum medieval dungeon vibe, and research German appetizers.

Leraika posted:

Research German desserts because I wanna see if they gently caress up and put German chocolate cake in.

Well I have good news and bad news, since we can already make German chocolate cake squares.

e:They also have no sugar in them at all, because that's what you want in a cake, right?

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 30, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

DFE, German soups and desserts, and add beer to the drinks menu you charlatan. :colbert:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
We're going to have to go with DFD for maximum German dungeon motif.

I'm confused why there are so many German dishes though; there really should only be bratwurst, schnitzel and blackforest cake. I'm not certain why you'd ever want to eat anything else.

Haifisch posted:

Well I have good news and bad news, since we can already make German chocolate cake squares.

e:They also have no sugar in them at all, because that's what you want in a cake, right?
There is a fuckload of egg in this "cake". More like a German Chocolate Cake Scramble.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

These recipes continue to amaze. Love the 27 tbsps of caraway seed with five sausages and a tiny amount of spaghetti. Also, no sauerkraut or necessary ingredients in the titular dish.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Put at least one mirror next to every table so the customers have to look at themselves drinking wine in a German restaurant all meal.

Otherwise, Merkel Specials all around, DFD for Dungeon Motif.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
0.1 milliliter of red wine vinegar. I see they're practicing the homeopathic approach to flavoring soups here.

Also, less than a tablespoon of lentils in this "lentil soup". And a lot of these German recipes seem to call for 0.23 of an onion, which seems weirdly precise.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Haifisch posted:

$8.20 for a single chocolate donut. Incredible.

DFB for maximum medieval dungeon vibe, and research German appetizers.

where's the coconut though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Leraika posted:

where's the coconut though :colbert:

I'll have you know that I've made German chocolate cake without coconut before and
well it was pretty drippy (I should add more thickener next time and maybe whip it into a pseudo-buttercream or smth) but I didn't have to chew coconut and that makes it worth it.

The real problem is that the only dairy in that thing is butter.