Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Say what you will about Strykers, but they are great for sleeping in. Four people can comfortably stretch out inside and those heaters can absolutely cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

Sleeping in the equipment rack areas of the Phoenix is the best. Conditioned, insulated, padded room for one, but every Phoenix has two trucks. The support truck doesn't have the AC or padding though.

Is the second Marine from the left taking a piss?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Tank driver's seat best army bed.

Reclined, head rest, you've got control of the heater and can even divert fuel to the heater fuel tank from the main so you'll never go cold. Just wake up every 3 or 4 hours to charge the batteries back up, which nagging nancy will conveniently remind you of.

And your tank broes sleep on the back deck, above the gas turbine so if they get cold you can just crank it up for them and get them warm again.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Naked Bear posted:

Say what you will about Strykers, but they are great for sleeping in. Four people can comfortably stretch out inside and those heaters can absolutely cook.

Truth. It was even better when you ripped the back seat out of some local cars you had to search and strapped it to the bench seats for extra padding.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I still prefer the back deck to the driver's hole. Driver's hole I would make kind of an insulated dealie with my woobie and keep the hatch open. Back deck we could squeeze three of us in bags like logs together and nobody got cramped legs or cold.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Sleeping in the equipment rack areas of the Phoenix is the best. Conditioned, insulated, padded room for one, but every Phoenix has two trucks. The support truck doesn't have the AC or padding though.

Gross. That gives me Trojan flashbacks.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

DoktorLoken posted:

Gross. That gives me Trojan flashbacks.

Ah, the Trojan :allears:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Out in Estonia the tankers gave us some interesting advice: yeah, sure, the turret is warm. But set up a little tent on the back of the tank, right above the engines, and you're set. And there's enough room for more than one person.

We also learned camo techniques from those guys. They could make a BMP practically disappear into the woodline, it was like some sort of nature magic and it freaked out our scouts to no end.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My king sized bed is great for sleeping in.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Some of the best sleep I've ever had is at Yakima in winter in the hell hole of my Stryker with the heater running all night.

Sucks for the infantry trying to fit 11 dudes in a Stryker, just 6 for scouts in the same ICVV variant with some reconnaissance modifications.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Most of your sleep has been at Yakima lol GOTEM

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

Out in Estonia the tankers gave us some interesting advice: yeah, sure, the turret is warm. But set up a little tent on the back of the tank, right above the engines, and you're set. And there's enough room for more than one person.

We also learned camo techniques from those guys. They could make a BMP practically disappear into the woodline, it was like some sort of nature magic and it freaked out our scouts to no end.

Camoing IFVs and MBTs and other equipment was like the most bog standard grunt skill taught everywhere in the Finnish Army, but seems like some long lost arcane art in the US Army. It's weird seeing woodlines full of humvees and LMTVs with half of a net thrown over the hood or something, observable for miles. And it's not that it is hard, or demanding, or anything. It just feels like there isn't organizational will to do it, at least from my narrow observation. It just doesn't seem like anyone particularly cares about camouflaging the convoy or anything like that in the box.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 29, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

Camoing IFVs and MBTs and other equipment was like the most bog standard grunt skill taught everywhere in the Finnish Army, but seems like some long lost arcane art in the US Army. It's weird seeing woodlines full of humvees and LMTVs with half of a net thrown over the hood or something, observable for miles. And it's not that it is hard, or demanding, or anything. It just feels like there isn't organizational will to do it, at least from my narrow observation. It just doesn't seem like anyone particularly cares about camouflaging the convoy or anything like that in the box.

Sounds to me like you've got a class or two you can teach

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

Some of the best sleep I've ever had is at Yakima in winter in the hell hole of my Stryker with the heater running all night.

Sucks for the infantry trying to fit 11 dudes in a Stryker, just 6 for scouts in the same ICVV variant with some reconnaissance modifications.

literally the only thing I like about Strykers. I had a nice hammock in mine.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Sounds to me like you've got a class or two you can teach
New additional duty unlocked: Battalion Master Camouflager! +25G

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Headed up to Fort Hunter Liggett tomorrow, we have one week to destroy our vehicles and or discover UXO

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Sustainable readiness model is garbage. It was designed by generals who grew up in the 80s and 90s army where you weren't expected to deploy between 9-12 months every few year or so. We get to return from Afghanistan and go pretty much back into training because readiness.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Sustainable readiness model is garbage. It was designed by generals who grew up in the 80s and 90s army where you weren't expected to deploy between 9-12 months every few year or so. We get to return from Afghanistan and go pretty much back into training because readiness.

Same with us, except Kuwait.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Ashmole posted:

But Objective-T!!!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Triggs posted:

But Objective-T!!!!

Objective Tea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you’re a DTS clerk and insist on cancelling all the travel authorizations because the next FY’s lines of accounting aren’t turned on yet instead of just leaving the travel plans for October/November/December alone and then fixing the LOA later, just gently caress right off.

Also TDY event planners who slate things to start 1 October and run them over top of federal holidays can gently caress off too.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Of all the secrets I held from people in the army, I'm proud that nobody at my last duty station learned that I was DTS qualified. gently caress that poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When I became a team leader I went and typed up a counseling at my normal speed.

I ended up becoming the platoon secretary.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

Of all the secrets I held from people in the army, I'm proud that nobody at my last duty station learned that I was DTS qualified. gently caress that poo poo.

Secret bus driver license holder here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Unit Movement Officer and Army Air Load Planning System got dropped from my record first chance I got

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If I had stayed in I probably would have been the one guy with every certification. Because I was stupid then.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

spacetoaster posted:

Secret bus driver license holder here.

I’m one of four people in my BN qualified to pick up ammunition, because no one has a license and no one has Ammo-67, and we only have one vehicle that can pick up Ammo from Dix. So many ways that this could fail! Every year my section holds drivers training and every year the Soldiers that show up that have avoided it forever are told that their section has overlapping more important training at the same time and that they can’t learn to drive to standard.

Or they live in NYC and don’t have a license.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Unit Movement Officer and Army Air Load Planning System got dropped from my record first chance I got

Not being trained in either of those certainly hasn't had much of an impact on preventing me from doing it....

I actually can't think of a single thing I do as an S4 that I've actually had any kind of training for.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm yet to in my military career, when there are expectations (except being PFT babysitter) and evaluation, done a job I am trained for

Train how you fight, I guess?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

maffew buildings posted:

Train how you fight, I guess?

Thought we couldn't do that because people don't like it when we haze recruits to death, dehydrate them to death, or demoralize our own to the point of suicide.

Honestly I hate that phrase because its always used to justify stupid, illegal or immoral poo poo.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hate that about as much as "If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin'" which I get the moto meaning of but it seems like a pretty good justification to not do poo poo on a sunny day

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If it ain't snowin, I ain't goin.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Retardog posted:

I hate that about as much as "If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin'" which I get the moto meaning of but it seems like a pretty good justification to not do poo poo on a sunny day

I never thought that was a moto saying as much as a "hey it sucks out--what else is new" kind of thing.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

If it ain't snowin, I ain't goin.

Which is all very well until there's a blind on the grenade range

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

As the last to leave it's my first day off in over 30 days and the companies won't stop calling me for poo poo.

Some of them still don't understand after me not answering 6+ phone calls.

The company XOs were some fickle, moody bitches out in the field. I'm content to let them fail due to not planning ahead. I'll care when the BN XO calls me.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

What about bailing and not caring if he calls too?

For your health

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey guys

mustang is still in the army

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

“hey sorry i was out camping with no service”

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Just spent like a month in JMRC and liked it, wassup. Like a big LARP. Home tomorrow, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Pull the battery out of your phone on your day off. If its really important they'll send a runner or search party.