Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol I forgot what the Chichen Itza quote was in VI

"The Great Ballcourt is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator."
–Isla Deb

Isla Deb runs a Wordpress blog called "Random Mexico Musings"

I never completed Chichen Itza. Gross. The green bird would never approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You have just saved a human soul.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stefan Prodan posted:

remember sid meier reading the quote for aesthetics and military science lol

"lo, i have slipped the surly bonds of earth, reached out my hand, and touched the face of god" except in sid meier's nasally whiny voice

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah go take a look at C2C or Caveman 2 Cosmos
im the Tales of the Specific Chimp Subtype (1 Beaker. 1 Education at Taxonomy. -1 Beaker at Writing. -1 Education at Scientific Method.)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
crazy how all the best quotes in a sid meier game were the alpha centauri ones which I assume were all made up by one person

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRpLLs7SNE

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

crazy how all the best quotes in a sid meier game were the alpha centauri ones which I assume were all made up by one person
Brian Reynolds studied philosophy prior to game design and it shows.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I just saw the city "Peepeekisis" for the first time in Civ 6

and now I cant stop going in my head

And I'll tell myself
I'm over you
Cause I'm the Chief of Pee Pee Kisses

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, if FFH2 is impressive to you guys, y'all should see Master of Mana. A mod of a mod of a mod. It might be the most impressive modding effort I've ever seen in my life, and I played a lot of Civ 4 and Doom.

Where's the place to get Master of Mana nowadays? Their web site appears to be gone.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

Where's the place to get Master of Mana nowadays? Their web site appears to be gone.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/master-of-mana-xtended.542512/ I still keep this bookmarked in the hope that esvath comes back to keep working on it, haha.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
What, if any relationship is there between Fall From Heaven 2 and Master of Mana? Based on its name, I infer Master of Mana is a remake of Master of Magic Is that correct?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea. Master of Mana isn’t similiar at all to ffh2 and other then both having magic as a mechanic.

Fall from heaven was an early mod that introduced magic with python scripts. It was also an official mod of beyond the sword iirc. You can actually play an early version of it in the mods directory of a fresh install.

Master of Mana is influenced by master of magic, but is much much different. Even more different the the colonization remake in civ4. So I don’t really understand the comparison too ffh2 other then they are both mods of civ4.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea. Master of Mana isn’t similiar at all to ffh2 and other then both having magic as a mechanic.

Fall from heaven was an early mod that introduced magic with python scripts. It was also an official mod of beyond the sword iirc. You can actually play an early version of it in the mods directory of a fresh install.

Master of Mana is influenced by master of magic, but is much much different. Even more different the the colonization remake in civ4. So I don’t really understand the comparison too ffh2 other then they are both mods of civ4.

Master of Mana is a modmod for FFH2. It is straight up built on top of FFH2. Hence having the same civs and so forth.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's been a long while so bear with me if I'm wrong:

Fall from Heaven 1 was a fantasy mod for Civ 4, FFH2 was a more developed and substantial evolution of that mod with its whole grimdark fantasy world and religions and etc.

FFH2 eventually sprouted off multiple mods based of it and its universe, like Fall Further (and Fall Further Plus, then Rise from Erebus), Orbis, and notably, Wildmana. Wildmana eventually became Master of Mana, and the reason why I'm a big fan of it is that it adds so many new mechanics like resource stockpiles a la Colonization, city specializations that have a major effect on how cities generate resources and what role they play in your empire, and most importantly, a magic system that operates like Master of Magic/Age of Wonders spell system, instead of piggybacking off units and promotions.

It's a hell of an evolutionary path.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

toasterwarrior posted:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/master-of-mana-xtended.542512/ I still keep this bookmarked in the hope that esvath comes back to keep working on it, haha.

Thanks!

I've downloaded it and the extended stuff but I'm not sure how to install it. The installer puts it in c:\mods\master of mana - should I be redirecting this to my Civ4 installation?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

Thanks!

I've downloaded it and the extended stuff but I'm not sure how to install it. The installer puts it in c:\mods\master of mana - should I be redirecting this to my Civ4 installation?

Umm, yes, I think so. More precisely, the BTS mod folder inside the main game directory and BTS directory. It should have its own subfolder inside it. Failing that, try using the mods folder inside My Documents.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

toasterwarrior posted:

Umm, yes, I think so. More precisely, the BTS mod folder inside the main game directory and BTS directory. It should have its own subfolder inside it. Failing that, try using the mods folder inside My Documents.

I got it in the mods folder inside My Documents, and it shows up in Mods in Civ4 BTS, but I get about a billion XML errors with stuff like 'Tag: SPELLRESEARCH_HOPE in info class was incorrect. Current XML file is: xml/Units/Civ4Manaschoolinfos.xml'. It goes on for a while. I had to close the program in Task Manager.

Man, I forgot how hard it was to get mods to work before the days of Steam integration. I'll have to take another look at it later. I probably installed the original Master of Mana wrong somehow.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 30, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cynic Jester posted:

Master of Mana is a modmod for FFH2. It is straight up built on top of FFH2. Hence having the same civs and so forth.

This must be a different master of mana then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

I got it in the mods folder inside My Documents, and it shows up in Mods in Civ4 BTS, but I get about a billion XML errors with stuff like 'Tag: SPELLRESEARCH_HOPE in info class was incorrect. Current XML file is: xml/Units/Civ4Manaschoolinfos.xml'. It goes on for a while. I had to close the program in Task Manager.

Man, I forgot how hard it was to get mods to work before the days of Steam integration. I'll have to take another look at it later. I probably installed the original Master of Mana wrong somehow.

Yeah, I think in this case you'll want it in the actual game directory, inside the BTS subfolder.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Specifically, you want the path to look like this if you're on Steam:

\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Master of Mana

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

homullus posted:

The quotes are as good as they've always been. Nimoy was reading some trash too.

Pig iron! Pig iron! I got pig iron!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doctor Zero posted:

Pig iron! Pig iron! I got pig iron!

That’s actually a really good and classic quote from the historic cultural song “Rock Island Line.”

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That’s actually a really good and classic quote from the historic cultural song “Rock Island Line.”

Good song. It's garbage once taken out of context and stuck in the game. "Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep." is funny one time (if you're lucky). You guys have some serious nerdstalgia.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
All the quotes are still good and better then every single quote from 5 and 6.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

All the quotes are still good and better then every single quote from 5 and 6.

i think there were a lot of good quotes in 5 but there were more in 4

i also like the petra quote from raiders of the lost ark unironically

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

i think there were a lot of good quotes in 5 but there were more in 4

i also like the petra quote from raiders of the lost ark unironically

They should have done a Petra quote by Karl Pilkington instead but it's too long

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Civ 6 Petra quote is from a travel guide published by Day One Christian Ministries in 2010

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nothing will beat the dude who narrates Civ V. I love that dudes voice. That dude has a nice voice. Nice voice dude!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Nothing will beat the dude who narrates Civ V. I love that dudes voice. That dude has a nice voice. Nice voice dude!

William Morgan Sheppard. He's had a pretty long career in acting, so you can probably find him saying all sorts of stuff with his cool old man voice.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Pig iron! Pig iron! I got ALL pig iron!

:colbert:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I haven't played in a couple of months, and I'm displeased that I'm having urges to play this lazy, jumbled game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bedurndurn posted:

William Morgan Sheppard. He's had a pretty long career in acting, so you can probably find him saying all sorts of stuff with his cool old man voice.
Morgan Sheppard being awesome as Gen. Isaac Trimble in Gettysburg.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I just bought this game on sale for $15, did I make a huge mistake? I've never played a civilization before.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

McSpankWich posted:

I just bought this game on sale for $15, did I make a huge mistake? I've never played a civilization before.

It's got its flaws but I think it's very worth it for $15. The game mechanics change quite a bit from one entry in the series to the next, so familiarity with previous titles isn't really required. (On the plus side, Civ 4 & 5 both hold up and are available for dirt cheap, so if you like the gameplay and want to see a different spin on it it's very easy to go back to one of the previous titles.)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

McSpankWich posted:

Nah, you're fine. It's pretty fun until you get good at it, so you'll get some enjoyment out of it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It also has some good mileage if you play it multiplayer, since, like with most games like this, a decent human player is vastly better at playing the game than the AI is.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

:great:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol I forgot what the Chichen Itza quote was in VI

"The Great Ballcourt is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator."
–Isla Deb

Isla Deb runs a Wordpress blog called "Random Mexico Musings"

this is criminal

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I started playing this, it's pretty fun. In my most recent game I've been completely boxed in by the AI. I have 3 cities decently close to each other, but 4 other countries borders come right up to all of mine and I just can't progress because my population won't grow. I've put something on every single tile within my space. I recently sent a settler, builder, sword people across the ocean and set up a new city on another continent, but it seems like I'm getting none of the benefits of having the other cities close by, which is a bummer. Is there any way to remedy this besides picking a country and trying to murder them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

McSpankWich posted:

So I started playing this, it's pretty fun. In my most recent game I've been completely boxed in by the AI. I have 3 cities decently close to each other, but 4 other countries borders come right up to all of mine and I just can't progress because my population won't grow. I've put something on every single tile within my space. I recently sent a settler, builder, sword people across the ocean and set up a new city on another continent, but it seems like I'm getting none of the benefits of having the other cities close by, which is a bummer. Is there any way to remedy this besides picking a country and trying to murder them all?

You usually want to be a bit more aggressive getting settlers out to stake out territory, although sometimes you're just going to be in a very crowded area. At which point it's probably murdering time.

You can try to invest in housing for your cities to grow them more: build farms (preferably in clumps), granaries, barracks, aqueducts, look for policies that boost housing, etc. But that's definitely Plan B (especially if you're playing without the expansion) and it's not really going to work as well as just getting more cities.