Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

What's the general read on the flesh eaters? Are they a good army?

The term I hear bandied around is "mid tier" and that matches with my experience. They're pretty strong against armies that don't tend to show up in tournaments and if you're just playing casual games they should do pretty well, but they're not generally strong enough to figure much at tournament level play. I think there was a FEC list in the top ten at NOVA but it was Arkhan+monster spam rather than a typical FEC list. (Although because of how FEC Command Abilities work that still has more troops than you'd think.)

In terms of how they play: Vhargulfs and mounted Ghoul Kings are great. Your basic ghouls tend not to be made of tissue paper and overcosted when taken in isolation, they're more for tarpitting and objective holding than bringing on the pain. Crypt Horros and Flayers are pretty good but again, overcosted in isolation.

Summoning new units via Command Abilities is interesting but I haven't played 2E enough to really say with confidence just how good it is. (All summons are minimum strength units so the vibe I get is they're better suited to screening and objective capping. Being able to summon two Vhargulfs with the Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon and Majestic Horror command trait is very tasty though.)

The Ghoul Patrol battalion might or might not be overpowered since the last errata. hard to tell. (Basically it's the only summoning ability in the game that explicitly lets you increase an existing unit's numbers beyond the size it started the battle. On the other hand they're still just ghoul units at the end of the day which aren't going to be a challenge to any list made with mulching hordes in mind.)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Yeah my 1500pt list was something like

Ghoul king on zombie Dragon
Crypt ghast
20 ghouls
20 ghouls
10 ghouls
6 crypt horrors
Ghoul patrol

Use the majestic horror thing to poo poo out a pair of varghulfs and go from there

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
All this talk of Tomb Kings has summoned me.

Ahomtep the Golden Vulture of Vengeance! This passion project has been in the works for about seven months. It’s the centrepiece for my Tomb Kings/Legion of Sacrament army. I’ve been playing TK since I started AoS just after the first generals handbook. I’ve love the play style of the army and really like how it’s different than the Legions of Nagash book. Hope you goons enjoy.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
That loving owns! :hb:

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart
That is amazing, just amazing :siren:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, I saw that on twitter the other day, didn't realize it was made by a goon. Nicely done.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah, I saw that on twitter the other day, didn't realize it was made by a goon. Nicely done.

It’s been awhile. Last time I posted TK were “compendium filth”

Now they’re “Low-Key compendium filth”

😎😬😎

Wizard posted:

That is amazing, just amazing :siren:

The Deleter posted:

That loving owns! :hb:

Thanks dogs. V hyped the goons are on my side.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horace-Noah posted:

Ahomtep the Golden Vulture of Vengeance! This passion project has been in the works for about seven months. It’s the centrepiece for my Tomb Kings/Legion of Sacrament army. I’ve been playing TK since I started AoS just after the first generals handbook. I’ve love the play style of the army and really like how it’s different than the Legions of Nagash book. Hope you goons enjoy.

Holy poo poo, dude. Well done!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
You did good.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

It is indeed awesome.

Also, just the sort of aesthetic they should go for if they do ever get round to AoS tomb Kings. Awesome Egyptian-tech super vehicles.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It is indeed awesome.

Also, just the sort of aesthetic they should go for if they do ever get round to AoS tomb Kings. Awesome Egyptian-tech super vehicles.

I’d love something like that! I was thinking Katophrane Shadeglass constructs. Bring back the sphinxes and snakes!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Brewing up my first Aos Army. Have this so far and looking for advice. I don't want to play in tournaments yet but I also don't want to get owned on the reg so...:

Order/SCE/Hammers of Sigmar

Battalions
Grand Convocation
Cleansing Phalanx

Leaders
Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger with Staff of Focus, We Cannot Fail, Chain Lightning, and Aetheral Stalker
Knight Incantor with Mindlock Staff and Starfall
Knight Incantor with Lightning Blast
Lord Exorcist with God-forged Blade and Stormcaller

Battleslines
10 Sequitors
5 Sequitors
5 Sequitors

Other
5 Evocators
3 Evocators on Dracolines

Endless Spells
1 Everblaze Comet

Total: 1990 points

I hosed around with the battleline; I could do 2 10x units of sequitors and 5 liberators which allows me to empower buff all the sequitors with the battalion ability but the liberators are poo poo imo. everblaze comet looks fun to play.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Horace-Noah posted:

Ahomtep the Golden Vulture of Vengeance!
This is amazing! Everything is so original, down to the really neat use of blue lichen on the base.

Although, google "cormorant"... it's a perfect fit for the tail, pointed wings, s-curve neck, and head shape. Maybe Ahomtep the Carrion Cormorant of Vengeance?

SRM posted:

Played a doubles game last night

Here are some pictures:

This is also a fantastic post and very enjoyable even for a non-Sigmar player.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Horace-Noah posted:

This is extremely good stuff holy guacamole.

What’s the play style of Tomb King armies? How is it different than spooky Nagash armies?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it a poor decisions to do a Beatmen army just so I can use the miniatures from this Kickstarter as base decoration like the Nurglings on Nurgle models?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

beergod posted:

Brewing up my first Aos Army. Have this so far and looking for advice. I don't want to play in tournaments yet but I also don't want to get owned on the reg so...:

Order/SCE/Hammers of Sigmar

Battalions
Grand Convocation
Cleansing Phalanx

Leaders
Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger with Staff of Focus, We Cannot Fail, Chain Lightning, and Aetheral Stalker
Knight Incantor with Mindlock Staff and Starfall
Knight Incantor with Lightning Blast
Lord Exorcist with God-forged Blade and Stormcaller

Battleslines
10 Sequitors
5 Sequitors
5 Sequitors

Other
5 Evocators
3 Evocators on Dracolines

Endless Spells
1 Everblaze Comet

Total: 1990 points

I hosed around with the battleline; I could do 2 10x units of sequitors and 5 liberators which allows me to empower buff all the sequitors with the battalion ability but the liberators are poo poo imo. everblaze comet looks fun to play.

I saw your post on TGA, I think the advice they gave was correct (a bit squishy, lots of battalion points, no shooting) but I think the list they suggested is kinda bad. They are a bit obsessed with using Cogs to charge big groups of sequitors and evocators in that thread.

Liberators are poo poo compared to Seqs but they are still fine. Or you could drop one of the battalions for 5 more Sequitors.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is it a poor decisions to do a Beatmen army just so I can use the miniatures from this Kickstarter as base decoration like the Nurglings on Nurgle models?

If that's a wrong decision then don't be right!

beergod posted:

I play a decent amount of Stormcast (non-pro) so I can give you a few guidelines on what I thin.

You're right about Sequitors - Liberators suck poo poo in comparison. You pay 20 points more for access to Channeling, a better weapon statline and more special weapons, with the only downside being the Lord Arcanum tax (which doesn't matter because the Lord Arcanum owns). 10 Sequitors is the minimum sweet spot of "decent for buffs but easy to maneuver" for me.

Foot Evocators own, and can actually grab a spell from Lore of Invocation for free. I'd go with Speed of Lightning so they can cast it on themselves to cover distance. I've not used Dracoline Evocators.

I'm not a fan of most Battalions - their effects just aren't good enough for the points you pay. I like Cleansing Battalion, but I don't think I like the convocation. That's points you could be spending on bodies, and I don't rate the Lord Exorcist very highly personally. I'd swap him for either a Lord Relictor or a Lord Castellant as they can help your blobs of Sequitors go further. Dropping the battalion also gives you more points, which I'd spend working in some Judicators. They beat out Castigators for our ranged option as they're battleline and have longer range.

The comet is decent. You pay a lot for it, but it ruins positioning for armies that rely on it. Obviously it's better against some than others.

I won't comment much on trait and artifact choices as I don't like to micromanage my hero equipment that much and you're obviously not looking to do that either, but I can point you in the right direction

A rough draft of something that'd be bang on 2000:
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger
Knight Incantor
Lord-Castellant (optional free Gryph Hound)/Lord-Relictor

Cleansing Phalanx:
10 Sequitors
10 Sequitors
5 Evocators
3 Evoactors on Dracolines

5 Judicators
5 Judicators

Everblaze Comet

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

The Deleter posted:

If that's a wrong decision then don't be right!

I play a decent amount of Stormcast (non-pro) so I can give you a few guidelines on what I thin.

You're right about Sequitors - Liberators suck poo poo in comparison. You pay 20 points more for access to Channeling, a better weapon statline and more special weapons, with the only downside being the Lord Arcanum tax (which doesn't matter because the Lord Arcanum owns). 10 Sequitors is the minimum sweet spot of "decent for buffs but easy to maneuver" for me.

Foot Evocators own, and can actually grab a spell from Lore of Invocation for free. I'd go with Speed of Lightning so they can cast it on themselves to cover distance. I've not used Dracoline Evocators.

I'm not a fan of most Battalions - their effects just aren't good enough for the points you pay. I like Cleansing Battalion, but I don't think I like the convocation. That's points you could be spending on bodies, and I don't rate the Lord Exorcist very highly personally. I'd swap him for either a Lord Relictor or a Lord Castellant as they can help your blobs of Sequitors go further. Dropping the battalion also gives you more points, which I'd spend working in some Judicators. They beat out Castigators for our ranged option as they're battleline and have longer range.

The comet is decent. You pay a lot for it, but it ruins positioning for armies that rely on it. Obviously it's better against some than others.

I won't comment much on trait and artifact choices as I don't like to micromanage my hero equipment that much and you're obviously not looking to do that either, but I can point you in the right direction

A rough draft of something that'd be bang on 2000:
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger
Knight Incantor
Lord-Castellant (optional free Gryph Hound)/Lord-Relictor

Cleansing Phalanx:
10 Sequitors
10 Sequitors
5 Evocators
3 Evoactors on Dracolines

5 Judicators
5 Judicators

Everblaze Comet

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

What is the synergy w/the Lord-Castellant/Lord-Relictor? They mentioned that on TGA as well.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

beergod posted:

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

What is the synergy w/the Lord-Castellant/Lord-Relictor? They mentioned that on TGA as well.

The Lord-Castellant's warding lantern adds 1 to the save rolls of any unit he puts it on, and causes rolls that total 7 or more to heal a wound. It's really, really easy to combine this with the Staunch Defender command trait and Azyrite Halo and get 2+ rerolling saves that heal on 5s and deal mortal wounds on sixes. You stick that on a blob of Sequitors and you get a murderous brick wall that can only be removed with heavy amounts of rend or mortal wound cascades like Curse of Years or Foot of Gork. You then proceed to lose friends and alienate people.

The Lord-Relictor is just a real good prayer toolkit even at 100 points. Divine Light combos with his damage spell to screw with enemy accuracy, Bless Weapons makes any weapon generate an extra hit on a 6 which is good for large units of Sequitors, and Translocation can let you set up a unit again and gain the benefit of Shock and Awe. It's not as obviously good as the Castellant, but very very useful.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The Deleter posted:

The Lord-Castellant's warding lantern adds 1 to the save rolls of any unit he puts it on, and causes rolls that total 7 or more to heal a wound. It's really, really easy to combine this with the Staunch Defender command trait and Azyrite Halo and get 2+ rerolling saves that heal on 5s and deal mortal wounds on sixes. You stick that on a blob of Sequitors and you get a murderous brick wall that can only be removed with heavy amounts of rend or mortal wound cascades like Curse of Years or Foot of Gork. You then proceed to lose friends and alienate people.

The Lord-Relictor is just a real good prayer toolkit even at 100 points. Divine Light combos with his damage spell to screw with enemy accuracy, Bless Weapons makes any weapon generate an extra hit on a 6 which is good for large units of Sequitors, and Translocation can let you set up a unit again and gain the benefit of Shock and Awe. It's not as obviously good as the Castellant, but very very useful.

lol

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I wish you weren't probated as of the time of this post so I could ask what you were loling at, although I can guess. :v:

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Signed up for a local escalation league. Six of the eight players currently signed up are order(Three stormcasts, two sylvaneth and me with kharadon). 1k pts for the first week, going with what I have built I'm looking at:

Aetheric Navigator
Admiral
Endrinmaster

10 Arkanauts: Light Skyhook, Skypike, Volley Gun

Gunhauler: Sky Cannon

3 Endrinrigger

Hoping to be able to get a second gunhauler and to swap out one of my arkanaut companies for an even 1k, but I might also shift things around based on my first match up.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Bombogenesis posted:

Signed up for a local escalation league. Six of the eight players currently signed up are order(Three stormcasts, two sylvaneth and me with kharadon). 1k pts for the first week, going with what I have built I'm looking at:

Aetheric Navigator
Admiral
Endrinmaster

Gunhauler: Sky Cannon

3 Endrinrigger

Hoping to be able to get a second gunhauler and to swap out one of my arkanaut companies for an even 1k, but I might also shift things around based on my first match up.

A Khemist will be a bit more effective than the navigator if you have the points - the ability to double the firepower of the skyhooks of one (or two with the right allegiance) of your arkanaut companies is very useful. Plus it’s got a decent gun.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
The navigator is in there at the moment because I don't have a khemist, so I'm hoping to play the nighthaunt player first. Being able to cut the movement of all fliers, against an army of nothing but fliers, seems pretty strong.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Is it worth picking up two of the new beasts f chaos start collecting box to start an army? Units decent?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

beergod posted:

Is it worth picking up two of the new beasts f chaos start collecting box to start an army? Units decent?

Ungors and Bestigors are quite solid.

You are almost always going to want one unit of ungors to hug the herdstone and die.

The shaman is good too, the big monsters I am not sold on, but they are basically free

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some new legends models are coming. And I am wondering why they discontinued Throgg the Troll King. His model is great.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/30/next-week-warbands-and-warhounds/

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some new legends models are coming. And I am wondering why they discontinued Throgg the Troll King. His model is great.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/30/next-week-warbands-and-warhounds/

Throgg background was amusing too.

Im going to grab Morghur, though i dont really need another bray shaman i think he'll look awesome leading my Gavespawn

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wizard posted:

Throgg background was amusing too.

Im going to grab Morghur, though i dont really need another bray shaman i think he'll look awesome leading my Gavespawn

Morghur's more of a beastlord then a shaman.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Morghur's more of a beastlord then a shaman.

Hes got a staff and a crab claw right? I dont know what he was in fantasy before AoS but im going to assume he was a beastlord?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

I... don't think any of those Tzeentch models for Shadespire are actually new sculpts, beside the dude on the left, who appears to be a conversion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wizard posted:

Hes got a staff and a crab claw right? I dont know what he was in fantasy before AoS but im going to assume he was a beastlord?

He was a weird immortal Chaos Monster that looked like a gor. He heavily mutated anything around him creating tons of chaos spawn, and he had a grudge against the Wood Elves and Tree People and constantly attacked them. He also could not die as after being slain he would eventually respawn in the world and continue to despoil and mutate everything.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Irate Tree posted:

I... don't think any of those Tzeentch models for Shadespire are actually new sculpts, beside the dude on the left, who appears to be a conversion.

New legends models, the made to order stuff

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I’m confused about the legends models. Can you play them in matched play?

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This is extremely good stuff holy guacamole.

What’s the play style of Tomb King armies? How is it different than spooky Nagash armies?

Play style revolves are a few key differences:

Less magic
More manoeuvrability
Very good anvil units
Has one of the best units in the game: Necropolis Knights, look them up, they nasty.

The army is super synergistic, one buff adds to another and then it snowballs. Bonuses to hit + exploding 6+s = 😎

The way models come back is also different. Resurrection of models comes from banner bearers. Depending on the unit, you either get 1 back (chariots, necro knights) d3 (horsemen) or d6 (skeleton legionaries).

While it’s not as swingy as LoN summoning, it can be very demoralizing. Getting back 5 wounds at the top of a turn is wild. Unless you focus fire, most Tomb king units will never die.

It’s also a big range, so there’s lots of units to pick through. Ushabti, Carrion, Necrosphinx etc. Lots of fun.

Thanks for asking, I could talk about this for ages.

Ps. Fun fact: TK just took 4th at a huge tourney in Australia. Lost in the final to the winner. Wild stuff!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Necropolis Knights also have a Dootman riding a Golden Skull Cobra making him the best miniature ever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

beergod posted:

I’m confused about the legends models. Can you play them in matched play?

Not yet.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

You can use them as a generic lord or whatever, they just don't have specific rules, right?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Irate Tree posted:

The Kairic Acolytes are in poses that I don’t recognize. The Tzaangor looks basically like a great weapon tzaangor, but might be slightly modified for the sprue. The blue horror and brimstones are probably just c/p’d from their normal sprues.

The one on the left with the half wing is new. I don’t think I’ve seen that one anywhere before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mugaaz posted:

You can use them as a generic lord or whatever, they just don't have specific rules, right?

You can use them as generic lords. But they do have specific rules.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ENG_HEROES_SEPTEMBER.pdf

The PDF will be updated next week with rules for Morghur, Kazrak, and the other new guys. (I want Morghur and the Chaos Dragon.)