Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Honestly I think the halogen lamp against the romex is the real problem there, those things get hot.

I'm currently using a piece of flex shielded out of a subpanel like that as an extension cord while I work on my basement but it is actually fastened in with proper clamps on both ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/npKt6xa.gifv

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bibendum posted:

Honestly I think the halogen lamp against the romex is the real problem there, those things get hot.

I'm currently using a piece of flex shielded out of a subpanel like that as an extension cord while I work on my basement but it is actually fastened in with proper clamps on both ends.

It's an LED light. And this is just temp because I killed the outlets on accident and the guy fixing our beams needed light and power. It's wired "correctly" at least! Load bearing ground and all!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally have something to contribute. This place has been open for 25+ years but drat

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nah, it's fine, you just need a wraparound flashing on the pipe that tucks into one of those couplings so water can't get in under it. I'm sure they did that rather than leave an unprotected hole in the middle of their roof.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
why not just pipe it into the gutter? Why does it have to go into the floor?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Many cities have regulations that prevent piping condensate into stormwater drainage, including gutters. It must go to plumbing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

Many cities have regulations that prevent piping condensate into stormwater drainage, including gutters. It must go to plumbing.

Yeah. There was a period where I was having to keep a bunch of it in buckets until the plumbing went in, and had to keep reminding the plasterers not to use it to mix up a batch.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Queen Combat posted:

Or, how Bud Light is made.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If that exhaust fan is used over any piece of cooking equpitment, the stuff running out of that is going to be a bunch of greasy sludge too, so that may be part of it as well.

Though, most EFs I've seen just dump it on the roof.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/KVxG60A.gifv

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

What the hell is going on there? Is that thing energized?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
:psyduck:

It's their cuffs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Clearly they need rail-less shelf-stairs.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Queen Combat posted:

:psyduck:

It's their cuffs.

Wow, I feel dumb.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have seen that gif so many times and always just thought it was kids being kids and doing some stupid in-group hand gesture.

schmug
May 20, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Wow, I feel dumb.

haha same. I watched that for like 5 minutes straight and didn't see it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have seen that gif so many times and always just thought it was kids being kids and doing some stupid in-group hand gesture.

And I thought it was every single one of them hitting a splinter on the rail.

schmug
May 20, 2007

I was leaning towards them thinking the first person smeared snot or something on the rail.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I was thinking somebody had put double sided tape on the rail, like how you do on a counter to keep cats off it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Rate these stairs, thread:

Visualization by Andrii Ortynskyi

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting horror movie or disaster movie vibes from this. Like the entire house was made of hubris.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Functionally about the worst I can say about them is the lack of risers creates a tripping hazard. There's a handrail (of sorts) and the step size is consistent, which is better than can be said about a lot of the staircases that get posted here.

I do have to wonder how rigid they are though, considering how heavily-cantilevered everything is. There'd better be some steel reinforcement or something on those wooden boards. Or maybe the wood is just a veneer?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if they're not solid concrete they're gonna be springs. steel isn't gonna cut it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

value-brand cereal posted:

Oh holy poo poo. Welcome to Whose Joint is it Anyway?, where the stresses are made up and gravity doesn't matter.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I'm taking this to mean it's a CAD render, which is why the glass isn't broken or popped out from someone putting weight on a step.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I hope the owners buy a roomba, because the underside of those stairs is going to be an absolute warren of dust bunnies.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

GotLag posted:

I'm taking this to mean it's a CAD render, which is why the glass isn't broken or popped out from someone putting weight on a step.

Perhaps. I glanced at their behanced page but I'm on mobile and I'm not sure if it's a render or never utilized stairs.

In any case, I give it a 5/10. It could kill me, but lacks stylish red LEDs and the ominous accessories like a pit right below it, or being right next to a large second story window.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It also falls under the general architecture category of "This thing I will never see in person or have to live with seems like a great idea!"

AKA Frank Lloyd Wright's entire career.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Megillah Gorilla posted:

AKA Frank Lloyd Wright's entire career.

I'll have you know that Robie House and Fallingwater made for very good Hitman levels.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I notice that the dark wooden steps curve back around to become the next flight of stairs. They attach to a wall or the ceiling, right? They don't just stretch all that way back and hang there?

Also I'm no engineer but I get this feeling in my gut like the S bend in those stairs is going to see some stress.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Those stairs are unusual for this thread in that they're dumb for structural engineering reasons and not for usability reasons (or complete-idiots-failing-to-read-blueprints-correctly reasons, like the classic concrete stairs folding directly back in on themselves).

Not that they're exactly good in the usability department, just that the most glaring flaw with them is that they're unlikely to actually be buildable.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 1, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would they be unbuildable?

They would cost an unreasonable amount of money, but since when has that stopped architects?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Surely it'd be possible to build a stud wall going into the room slightly so that the door was at the end of a small corridor/alcove and then you have the stairs to that room branching off this landing here instead of whatever this corner arrangement is supposed to be.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That sounds like more effort than just dropping in a few more steps

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Structurally they're not as crazy as they first look. The "floating" side of each step would be anchored to the upright of the stair just behind it. The third brown stair upright looks like it's floating in between two stairs, but it's not: it's supported by a white upright on the second flight. So no, they won't bounce like crazy, no more so than any other similar-width tread only supported on the ends. With careful attention to pullout strength of the ceiling anchors and the shear strength of what holds the alternating uprights together, it's completely doable (if still a huge trip hazard).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There is the minor problem that those stairs look like poo poo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Structurally they're not as crazy as they first look. The "floating" side of each step would be anchored to the upright of the stair just behind it. The third brown stair upright looks like it's floating in between two stairs, but it's not: it's supported by a white upright on the second flight. So no, they won't bounce like crazy, no more so than any other similar-width tread only supported on the ends. With careful attention to pullout strength of the ceiling anchors and the shear strength of what holds the alternating uprights together, it's completely doable (if still a huge trip hazard).

Yeah, this. The only actual unsupported cantilever portion is a triangle-shaped wedge on each step that is only hanging out the tread depth at its deepest, and narrows off to zero at the opposite end. The rest is effectively stacked straight to the floor. This is true for the second flight, as well. Also it's a render so nobody will ever walk on it anyhow, CG has infinite loading capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
RIP all clowns that try to go up those steps