Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Does anybody know anything about the CN 75-50 gun on the Israeli M50 overhaul of the Sherman? Somebody is trying to convince me that it's a direct copy of the 7.5cm KwK 42 on the Panther which sounds like total bullshit but I'm looking for some more solid proof than "they don't really look alike to my untrained eye."

Also, just the M50 Sherman in general? I was lucky enough to see one IRL and am kind of intrigued by it, but googling "Super Sherman" just gets the M51 and googling the M50 specifically gets only dodgy-looking unsourced sites that look like they were designed in 2003.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I believe that was asked before or in the prior thread. General consensus seems to be that the guns are similar, but probably not direct copies of eachother. Arguments for it being a copy leans towards the fact that the French used German tech post-ww2 and that the calibers are similar, as well as some mechanisms. Arguments against are that the barrel is shortened, the mechanism was modified for autoloaders, and the case diameter is different.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Nenonen posted:

We used to have to get up at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the sunken road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the watch for fourpence every four years, and when we got to attack, the hun would slice us in two with a serrated bayonet.

Ah, you were lucky...

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
The Angry VDV Man laughs at your puny videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlQ6KqTlyfk

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A soaring dome of rainbow peace to strike terror into the hearts of Russia's enemies

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

The Angry VDV Man laughs at your puny videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlQ6KqTlyfk

I prefer the Vysadkari Super Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4lYAPO81y8

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fangz posted:

Needs to be longer if they wanna be the Illiad

They poo poo out 14 albums and don't seem ready to stop any time soon, so they'll probably get there.

Comrade Koba posted:

In my experience, the Venn diagram of “people who listen to Sabaton” and “people with lovely far-right opinions” is drat near a circle.

Not even close. Sabaton, like Manowar and Dragonforce and stuff, tends to have a minority of very vocal fascist fans who everyone else shits on.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 1, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Crazycryodude posted:

Does anybody know anything about the CN 75-50 gun on the Israeli M50 overhaul of the Sherman? Somebody is trying to convince me that it's a direct copy of the 7.5cm KwK 42 on the Panther which sounds like total bullshit but I'm looking for some more solid proof than "they don't really look alike to my untrained eye."

Just guessing, but I'd assume it's the American 75mm (maybe a better/longer upgrade of the E8 gun, but essentially the same at the big end).

Weird how everybody settled on the same calibers, 75mm/76mm/7.5cm are all 3".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I mean, everything now is 120mm/125mm. I guess there tends to be a consensus.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Just guessing, but I'd assume it's the American 75mm (maybe a better/longer upgrade of the E8 gun, but essentially the same at the big end).

There are a whole lot of 75 mm and 3 inch guns turning up around 1900, I guess it's probably a good compromise between weight, cost, ammunition handling (and thus rate of fire) and effect.

Plus once you've tooled up to churn out guns in that calibre you're probably not going to be too keen on switching to a larger calibre - how adaptable is barrel-making/-rifling machinery?

feedmegin posted:

I mean, everything now is 120mm/125mm. I guess there tends to be a consensus.

Why did the IS tanks use two-part ammunition but the Abrams gets away with one-piece loading? Is it just down to ergonomics of the loader's station? Are the modern 120 rounds lighter or otherwise easier to handle?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 1, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GotLag posted:

Why did the IS tanks use two-part ammunition but the Abrams gets away with one-piece loading? Is it just down to ergonomics of the loader's station? Are the modern 120 rounds lighter or otherwise easier to handle?

The IS's 122mm projectile weighs about 25 kilos. The Abram's weighs around 10kg, depending on the ammo type. Barrel diameter is only one dimension, the IS's gun was a big-rear end artillery gun firing a huge projectile at a relatively slow speed, the Abrams' projectile is smaller and flies almost three times faster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The most practical reason is because the D-25 was based on a howitzer that used separate shell and propellant.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At some point I'd really like to lean more about gun design because other than Rifling and the history of musket lock development I really don't know much about it other than 'they're really well made hollow steel tubes'.

The intricacies of why a gun needs a breach-block or vent or various stage ammunition is really interesting.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alchenar posted:

At some point I'd really like to lean more about gun design because other than Rifling and the history of musket lock development I really don't know much about it other than 'they're really well made hollow steel tubes'.

The intricacies of why a gun needs a breach-block or vent or various stage ammunition is really interesting.
if you find out why 16th/17th c asian muskets look graceful and forwrd-leaning but western muskets look like furniture, let me know

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

if you find out why 16th/17th c asian muskets look graceful and forwrd-leaning but western muskets look like furniture, let me know

because filthy gwailos is why

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Geisladisk posted:

The IS's 122mm projectile weighs about 25 kilos. The Abram's weighs around 10kg, depending on the ammo type. Barrel diameter is only one dimension, the IS's gun was a big-rear end artillery gun firing a huge projectile at a relatively slow speed, the Abrams' projectile is smaller and flies almost three times faster.

Also before Rheinmetall 120mm most guns with single-piece ammo had brass case. 105 full-length casing is a shitton of extra weight compared to 120mm combustble case. I dont even want to think a fullcased 122mm inside a tank that had ”Soviet wartime” crew ergonomy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

Some random Japanese musketeer claims Japanese guns' stocks are as they are to make them easier to use in armour. Instead of bracing it on your shoulder, you lean it against your face: http://budojapan.com/feature-articles/fire/

I like how the trigger is positioned waaay back so you can actually aim down the barrel without having your face right above the flash pan.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HEY GUNS posted:

If you hit someone with a jezail will it break?

Siivola posted:

Some random Japanese musketeer claims Japanese guns' stocks are as they are to make them easier to use in armour. Instead of bracing it on your shoulder, you lean it against your face: http://budojapan.com/feature-articles/fire/

I like how the trigger is positioned waaay back so you can actually aim down the barrel without having your face right above the flash pan.

I like the hinawaju action shot with sparks everywhere

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 1, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Other deeper reasons for the difference between the 122 and the 120 I think are:

1. Sabotted munitions were insufficiently mature for the Soviets to adopt them in a big way. The actual projectile from an Abrams can be thus much smaller than the bore, once the sabot is discarded.
2. Issues to do with the metallurgy of making the barrels making it difficult to make guns that reliably hold a high pressure, and thus allow higher velocities vs having just bigger shells. IIRC soviet engineers acknowledged this was specifically a problem they had, which led to them adopting the 85mm vs something like the higher velocity 75mm on the Panther.
3. The need for good HE capability. For WWII tanks in the late war, the majority of shells fired will be HE shells at targets appropriate to that (e.g. AT guns, fortifications) - note that of the 28 rounds carried by a IS-2, 20 of them will be 22 kg HE-FRAG shells. The Abrams does not (AFAICT) even have a HE fragmentation shell.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 1, 2018

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

For m1 heat and later MPAT and OR Were the ”he” replacers

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's OR? It's not exactly easy to Google

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Obstacle reduction. Heat with delay fuze and steel headcone.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

The Abrams does not (AFAICT) even have a HE fragmentation shell.

Abrams lack of boom has been a big problem for a long time. The army's solution is to create a miracle "6 in 1" round that kills everything including helicopters for one low low (not low) price.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Valtonen posted:

Also before Rheinmetall 120mm most guns with single-piece ammo had brass case. 105 full-length casing is a shitton of extra weight compared to 120mm combustble case. I dont even want to think a fullcased 122mm inside a tank that had ”Soviet wartime” crew ergonomy.

Hey! ISU-152 crews got a *cushion*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Some random Japanese musketeer claims Japanese guns' stocks are as they are to make them easier to use in armour. Instead of bracing it on your shoulder, you lean it against your face: [url]http://budojapan.com/feature-articles/fire/[/url

i wonder what the kick is like?
what gorgeous guns

GotLag posted:

If you hit someone with a jezail will it break?
:shrug:

edit: that is my current theory though, that western gunsmiths assumed you would also be using it as a club

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 1, 2018

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I recently went to another castle in western Japan, one of the few remaining originals, and the day I was there they had a squad of musketeers doing some synchronized firing with reproduction tanegashima. Lemme see if I can find some of the pictures I took and if any are any good, and I'll post them.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Siivola posted:

That actually makes sense. Shouldering a traditional rifle stock is awkward as hell when you're wearing a plate carrier so it must be tough in armor too.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Friar John posted:

I recently went to another castle in western Japan, one of the few remaining originals, and the day I was there they had a squad of musketeers doing some synchronized firing with reproduction tanegashima. Lemme see if I can find some of the pictures I took and if any are any good, and I'll post them.

This reminds of a video I saw recently of a Japanese archery drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVC6ExVUi4

It reminded me of those screens you shared of large Japanese formations. It's pretty easy to imagine the guys in the front in the v formation advancing like this, really helped bring the art to life.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Siivola posted:

Squalid posted:

This reminds of a video I saw recently of a Japanese archery drill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVC6ExVUi4

It reminded me of those screens you shared of large Japanese formations. It's pretty easy to imagine the guys in the front in the v formation advancing like this, really helped bring the art to life.

Really interesting video!

Was it possible to shoot bows while wearing a full harness?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: that is my current theory though, that western gunsmiths assumed you would also be using it as a club

it must be effective enough given that native Americans copied the shape for their clubs. Alternatively some say it's convergent evolution, but either way I guess it's a good design for beating people to death.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Valtonen posted:

For m1 heat and later MPAT and OR Were the ”he” replacers

I think that however you use technology to compensate, you're still gonna get much more boom out of a 20kg projectile than a 10kg projectile. The Abrams gun seems like primarily an anti-tank weapon with some capabilities added, the 122mm on these WWII heavies were primarily HE chuckers.

EDIT: It's worth noting the Soviet 2A46 125mm used on the T90s also uses two-part ammunition, and can fire a big 23kg HE projectile with a reduced power charge.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 1, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nebakenezzer posted:

a great post

I have few questions for Canadians:

I take it means some sort of hillbilly, but the other interpretation is funny too:

Drunk?

]

God damned? And is the 'lets the chickens go wild and rides a horse to a town' literal or figurative?

What is C.P. train short for? Travelling without a ticket?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

ChubbyChecker posted:

Canadian Pacific. edit: and it mentions its a freight train, so yeah, they're riding the rails.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

I take it means some sort of hillbilly, but the other interpretation is funny too:
american or canadian of bohemian, moravian, or slovak ancestry. Short for Bohunk. he's mad the nazis invaded Czechoslovakia.

quote:

Drunk?
on corn liquor, to be precise

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gonna work corn into everything now

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyChecker posted:

God damned? And is the 'lets the chickens go wild and rides a horse to a town' literal or figurative?

Canada was hella rural at the time, so it's entirely possible the guy did own a horse. And yeah, if you'd be abandoning your homestead letting the chickens out to forage would be better than letting them starve (or maybe he didn't want to slaughter them for meat)

C.P. stands for Canada Pacific (Railways), one of the two largest railway companies in Canada that offered cross continental service. During WWII their locomotive workshops in Montreal were reassigned to building Valentine tanks. Riding freight would probably have been done without a ticket, and was more or less tolerated by the authorities depending on their mood as brought up in the previous chapter by the guy who had his hand broken by a Mountie stomping on it.

e: beaten to the punch.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 1, 2018

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Fangz posted:

I think that however you use technology to compensate, you're still gonna get much more boom out of a 20kg projectile than a 10kg projectile. The Abrams gun seems like primarily an anti-tank weapon with some capabilities added, the 122mm on these WWII heavies were primarily HE chuckers.

EDIT: It's worth noting the Soviet 2A46 125mm used on the T90s also uses two-part ammunition, and can fire a big 23kg HE projectile with a reduced power charge.

Yes, lack of direct HE/frag round on a Leo 2 / abrams was a calculated risk. OG 120mm came with just 2 rounds- apfsds (sabot) and HEAT. Why? Because it meant that when you were at Fulda Gap whatever you happened to have loaded would OHK a DDR T62. 120mm HEAT will still make a difference against infantry, and some armies (coughcougg finns) still practise firing HEATs on treelines above dug-in crunchies as a frag funtime- Its not 125mm frag But that shower of fragments, comcussion and arm-length tree shards will ruin your day.

Reason Soviet 125 is two-piece is the autoloader. Its much easier for it to ram two 10kg pieces in one at a time than one 20kg piece when tank has Cross-country shaking going on and it saves space.

Only western 120 to use two-piece design to this day is CR2, and why is propably ”Because the Queen told us to”

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Valtonen posted:

Only western 120 to use two-piece design to this day is CR2, and why is propably ”Because the Queen told us to”

That or there's not room to manhandle one-piece ammunition around the tea kettle

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

ChubbyChecker posted:

]

In Saskatchewan? That would still be literal today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

GotLag posted:

That or there's not room to manhandle one-piece ammunition around the tea kettle

More likely it is to save expense.