Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Artum posted:

zz sucks until like episode 20 where theres a loud audible clunk and episodes of zeta gundam start airing.

That was my recollection as well. Been a long time since I've watched it though and I guess my remaining memory was tinted by the last 1/3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Unicorn is now on Netflix

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice. Maybe they'll manage to license some other shows as well.

Or they could immediately follow it up with 0079 and do a Toonami repeat.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 27, 2018

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah just noticed this and wasn't sure how long it'd been there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah just noticed this and wasn't sure how long it'd been there.

It's in the recently added section so within the last month or so at the most

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Within the past week actually.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nosuke0213/status/1045922448523186177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_amSCW27k

:getin:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think that the first batch of ZZ episodes were meant to be a breather following the massive kill em all clusterfuck ending of Zeta. It's not a good way to start a series, true, but in the context of ZZ starting two weeks after Zeta ended it makes more sense.

Still doesn't excuse the meandering from lasting way too long.

it's more like

tomino: well that was depressing, time to do a comedy series to lighten things up a bit

producers: no, more gundam

tomino: ok

producers: i'm serious tomino, this is a cash c- wait what

tomino: yeah it's cool

producers: you agreed to this suspiciously quickly but i'm just glad you're listening for once

---ZZ ep1 airs---

producers: :argh: TOMINOOOOOOOOOO

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The BBC posted:

Charles Aznavour, French singing star, dies at 94

https://bbc.in/2Ne80Ku

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally watched the first few episodes of Destiny after having avoided it like the plague over the bad reviews and my distaste for SEED in general. I have to say though, I'm a little torn. On the one hand it's been suprisingly good so far, the setup is decent enough, most of the protagonist group have been fairly amicable so far and the Sword Impulse fights were great. On the dirty stinky other hand though, the cracks have already formed, the antagonists are laughably 2edgy4you, I already have a pretty good idea of what animations I'm likely to see repeated for the next 15-20 episodes, and the eyecatch is already teasing me with that stinkweed Kira and his stupid fairly puppetmaster girlfriend.

I'm not quite sure whether to be disappointed that the show didn't live up to the potential it had, or be glad that I already know it ends up sucking so I know not to get invested.

I also read the Astray manga recently too and that was great. For some reason I had always thought it was SEED's edgy cousin but it turns out it's the opposite? It's like SEED's chill cousin that likes to joke around and has a more realistic idea of it's own self worth. I'm basically only watching Destiny as a primer for Destiny Astray. :v:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

I finally watched the first few episodes of Destiny after having avoided it like the plague over the bad reviews and my distaste for SEED in general. I have to say though, I'm a little torn. On the one hand it's been suprisingly good so far, the setup is decent enough, most of the protagonist group have been fairly amicable so far and the Sword Impulse fights were great. On the dirty stinky other hand though, the cracks have already formed, the antagonists are laughably 2edgy4you, I already have a pretty good idea of what animations I'm likely to see repeated for the next 15-20 episodes, and the eyecatch is already teasing me with that stinkweed Kira and his stupid fairly puppetmaster girlfriend.

I'm not quite sure whether to be disappointed that the show didn't live up to the potential it had, or be glad that I already know it ends up sucking so I know not to get invested.

I also read the Astray manga recently too and that was great. For some reason I had always thought it was SEED's edgy cousin but it turns out it's the opposite? It's like SEED's chill cousin that likes to joke around and has a more realistic idea of it's own self worth. I'm basically only watching Destiny as a primer for Destiny Astray. :v:

Destiny tries to check all the boxes. And will probably entertain you at least some of the time. But it does that homage in the form of blatant copycat. Like watching drama kids preforming SNL skits but the teacher made them tone down the violence and language. Leaving you watching something you recognize but also kind of resent for butchering those scenes with bad actors and bad writing.

Seed/Destiny/Astray still has some of my favorite mech designs.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Destiny has like 10 good to decent episodes at the start, then nosedives into mediocre with the next 20ish episodes and then the rest turns into the Kira Yamato is back shitshow.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Destiny is worse than age in the sense that it starts out really strong and just turns awful. It makes the feeling of disappointment all the more pronounced.

There's so many good ways to take the plot! We have Shinn a characters who more angry and embittered than the average gundam protagonist, although wtih a good reason to be. They have a way of setting up conflict with Kira since Kira accidentally killed Shinn's family. They were also clearly setting up Athrun as his mentor. Durandal not being a moustache twirling villain at the start was pretty cool. We have the terrorist attack from a group of coordinators who are understandably still pissed that while the previous war is over, nothing really changed. there's like a million ways you could get a good story out of that premise but just turned into utter dogshit.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2018

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Yeah Shinn has a really strong start that subverts the boy gets in giant robot trope. And that orange Gouf pilot gets this standard mentor/rival stepping stone to show Shinn how to pilot with skill. Then it just undercuts all that set up. Then it's just clones and the most violent pacifism outside of a Mel Gibson war movie.

Sucks that it's one of those bad shows with potential so it can't even be enjoyed like a MST3K movie.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Destiny doesn't really become the meme that is Bad Show until kira forcefully inserts himself back into the show.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Yinlock posted:

it's more like

tomino: well that was depressing, time to do a comedy series to lighten things up a bit

producers: no, more gundam

tomino: ok

producers: i'm serious tomino, this is a cash c- wait what

tomino: yeah it's cool

producers: you agreed to this suspiciously quickly but i'm just glad you're listening for once

---ZZ ep1 airs---

producers: :argh: TOMINOOOOOOOOOO
The theme song should have been a big tip-off that Tomino was not only not giving any fucks, but had hired a gently caress repossession service to go retrieve previously issued fucks.

The rough english translation is something to the effect of "It's not Anime, this is reality, it's a wonderful feeling, it's true!" followed by "You old people forgot how to have dreams"

What a cock-slap in the face by big T.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

A few more episodes into Destiny and yeah, this is good. These are good ideas.

Namely I'm quite enjoying Athrun's personality struggle and how each side feeds into eachother. It's kind of heartwarming how Lunamarie looks up to him as this big war hero. Then her naivety pushes him back to peaceful idealism and Cagalli. Then Cagalli opens her big mouth and Shinn points out that bad things are real and you can't wish them away which reminds Athrun that he was kinda responsible for a lot of bad stuff. Then Lunamarie reminds him that a lot of people still think he's crescent fresh and we start all over again.

The set up for space war two works well too. A small group of separatist space racist coordinators launch a terrorist attack on earth, which space racist naturals use as an excuse to launch another space race war. That works, and it's great that it works for the exact reasons the ending of SEED didn't.

I'm actually enjoying this too much now. Just a few more episodes and then it's all down from there. :smith: Maybe one day someone will make a Destiny reshuffle manga and make everything right. Or maybe they'll make a reshuffle manga and make it all Kira :smithicide:

Edit:The phantom pain squad is still completely stupid though. Except maybe Gaia and not just because it's a doggy. :3:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 7, 2018

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The best bit of the start of Destiny is Athrun, Yzak and Dearka's reunion. Zaku boiz, coming through

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Gaia is a good doggo. Abyss is fine as a sub if you really want to focus on sea combat. But Chaos just bends over like not even a full yoga poses but a warm-up stretch before actually doing yoga. And I still can't quit figure out how it would give him any meaningful advantage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sazabi posted:

Gaia is a good doggo. Abyss is fine as a sub if you really want to focus on sea combat. But Chaos just bends over like not even a full yoga poses but a warm-up stretch before actually doing yoga. And I still can't quit figure out how it would give him any meaningful advantage.

Chaos's MA form was designed for space combat. It removes the legs (which are useless in space) in favor of two grabby claws with beam emitters and reconfigures its thrusters for space mobility. There's actually a Proto Chaos which is just the MA mode. Basically Chaos was supposed to space, Abyss water and Gaia land so they could combine the high performance of their humanoid suits with the specalization of the BuCUE and the like. (It's a hideous ugly monstrosity but that is the idea behind it.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 8, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
More of that new IBO Gundam

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1048543685191716864

There's an anniversary event scheduled for January, so presumably that's when they'll announce the radio drama or stage play that will feature the new Gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

More of that new IBO Gundam

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1048543685191716864

There's an anniversary event scheduled for January, so presumably that's when they'll announce the radio drama or stage play that will feature the new Gundam

That really does look suspiciously like a remodelled Barbatos. Gundam frame designs are usually much more diverse than that. Definitely assuming that’s Julietta’s ride, especially given how that single horn looks like a visual reference to the Kimaris Vidar.

ImpAtom posted:

Chaos's MA form was designed for space combat. It removes the legs (which are useless in space) in favor of two grabby claws with beam emitters and reconfigures its thrusters for space mobility. There's actually a Proto Chaos which is just the MA mode. Basically Chaos was supposed to space, Abyss water and Gaia air so they could combine the high performance of their humanoid suits with the specalization of the BuCUE and the like. (It's a hideous ugly monstrosity but that is the idea behind it.)

Also, tilting the torso forward reveals the Chaos’s giant loving beam cannon, which was presumably too big to fit on the suit in any other way.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

ImpAtom posted:

Chaos's MA form was designed for space combat. It removes the legs (which are useless in space) in favor of two grabby claws with beam emitters and reconfigures its thrusters for space mobility. There's actually a Proto Chaos which is just the MA mode. Basically Chaos was supposed to space, Abyss water and Gaia land so they could combine the high performance of their humanoid suits with the specalization of the BuCUE and the like. (It's a hideous ugly monstrosity but that is the idea behind it.)

I know he's supposed to be space, but it's not like he can't use the leg claws in MS mode. I guess thruster placement is a thing but they don't move around that much. Plus it's a trade off for mobility since the torso can't rotate it's harder to shoot at things on the sides and behind without turning the whole thing. Abyss and even raider have powerful cannons on the body without having to change forms too. It just feels like Chaos had an MA form because the other two did, not because he needs it. Especially when Destroy Gundam shows up later and reveals that he was secretly a bigger Zam all along.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That really does look suspiciously like a remodelled Barbatos. Gundam frame designs are usually much more diverse than that. Definitely assuming that’s Julietta’s ride, especially given how that single horn looks like a visual reference to the Kimaris Vidar.

Assuming that's true, I'd really like to see one of the shots where a machine is "haunted" by a previous pilot, either just as a visual metaphor or because Mika left a lot of ghost in the Barbatos's shell.

It's a neat kind of shot in general, but it would have a lot more impact for Julieta than anyone else. An ex-Tekkadan pilot, Mika's their ace, and a shot invoking him would have the same style as a lot of Newtype Ghost moments, the dead returning to aid the living. Most of Gjallarhorn, it would just be a nightmare.

Julieta, though? Mika's the road not traveled, the bullet that just missed her. She's the only person who explicitly didn't pursue his power, which left her one of the very few major pilots who survived the series. Seeing an echo of him is going to be a lot more complicated than it would be for anyone else.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

The shield seems to imply the shape of the Tekkaden fleur as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Assuming that's true, I'd really like to see one of the shots where a machine is "haunted" by a previous pilot, either just as a visual metaphor or because Mika left a lot of ghost in the Barbatos's shell.

It's a neat kind of shot in general, but it would have a lot more impact for Julieta than anyone else. An ex-Tekkadan pilot, Mika's their ace, and a shot invoking him would have the same style as a lot of Newtype Ghost moments, the dead returning to aid the living. Most of Gjallarhorn, it would just be a nightmare.

Julieta, though? Mika's the road not traveled, the bullet that just missed her. She's the only person who explicitly didn't pursue his power, which left her one of the very few major pilots who survived the series. Seeing an echo of him is going to be a lot more complicated than it would be for anyone else.

Given how it visually references the Unicorn (pure white colour scheme, single horn, et cetera), I’m not ruling out that the Arianrhod Fleet’s creepy mechanic built an Alaya-Vijnana Type E system into it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Given how it visually references the Unicorn (pure white colour scheme, single horn, et cetera), I’m not ruling out that the Arianrhod Fleet’s creepy mechanic built an Alaya-Vijnana Type E system into it.

This allows the established protagonist to be in it, so makes sense.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think it's actually gonna be all white once we see it in color.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RillAkBea posted:

A lot of people think its the edgy one and I'm not entirely sure how other than people going "katana = edgy" and forgetting that a robot sized katana in a beam saber world is rad and then there's the transforming sword and needing a power suit to wield a 100m long recreation of your regular sword. Astray is dumb as hell but people see the SEED part in the name and assume it is overserious edgy garbage for some reason.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think it's actually gonna be all white once we see it in color.

I’m pretty sure there was a promo shot of it alongside a coloured Barbatos.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m pretty sure there was a promo shot of it alongside a coloured Barbatos.

as far as I know, this is the only other image of it

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m going through Iron Blooded Orphans, I watched it when it originally aired and while I really enjoyed the beginning I lost the thread somewhere when they landed on earth and eventually trailed off. I’m halfway through the second season they just fought the Mobile armor and boy it’s good!

Mika and Orga are such terrible influences on each other, and Shino is in the wrong show.

I also really like how the ships aren’t immediately vaporized the second a mobile suit looks at it, they’re threats on an entire different strategic level.

Finally, aside from the MA are there no beam weapons at all?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ManSedan posted:

are there no beam weapons at all?

No, because beam weapons are hopelessly outdated technology at that point in time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Nope. Beam weapons are so outdated even the basic modern grunt mobile suits have armor that completely deflects them. The only reason the Shiden even lost an arm was because the magazine in its rifle cooked off.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ManSedan posted:

I’m going through Iron Blooded Orphans, I watched it when it originally aired and while I really enjoyed the beginning I lost the thread somewhere when they landed on earth and eventually trailed off. I’m halfway through the second season they just fought the Mobile armor and boy it’s good!

Mika and Orga are such terrible influences on each other, and Shino is in the wrong show.

I also really like how the ships aren’t immediately vaporized the second a mobile suit looks at it, they’re threats on an entire different strategic level.

Finally, aside from the MA are there no beam weapons at all?

It was funny, I watched IBO as my first Gundam series. When I got around to other series, it was nuts how OP beam weapons seemed to be.

I mean Christ, look at this:

https://youtu.be/7nJZFENJgEc

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IBO really highlights just how garbage a lot of fights are to watch in Gundam shows just because of beam weapons. :rip:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

IBO really highlights just how garbage a lot of fights are to watch in Gundam shows just because of beam weapons. :rip:

How so? The last.. 2-3 Gundam shows have had units that all but ignore beam weaponry. It certainly didn't make them more fun to watch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 14, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

They could have replaced every beam weapon in gundam with something that fires physical ammunition and they wouldn't have to change a single fight scene. Bad choreography is bad choreography, blaming it on a piece of in-universe technology is dumb.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

How so? The last.. 2-3 Gundam shows have had units that all but resit beam weaponry. It certainly didn't make them more fun to watch.

Because beams normally go so fast as to be nearly-undodgeable by anyone except newtypes or super prototypes, usually are one-hit-kill, and sometimes don't even need to do more than pass within 50m of something to blow it up, which leads to fights that are significantly less interesting to watch than having a bunch of 30-ton warmachines pounding the ever-loving poo poo out of each other at close range with ballistic weapons and missiles.

e; this isn't just a choreography thing, it's a problem with the fictional properties of beam weapons in Gundam limiting what you can do. It works fine when the long-range undodgeable insta-kill weapons are rare and scary, as in 0079 or IBO.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

How so? The last.. 2-3 Gundam shows have had units that all but ignore beam weaponry. It certainly didn't make them more fun to watch.

I gotta disagree. One of the strengths of IBO was that the fights weren'r over just because someone got shot once they weren't outta of the game.

It inherently limits fights if one shot to the chest or whatever instantly takes out your opponent. It's possible to work around, but it is a disadvantage. I think shows work best when there's a right balance. Like in AGE that have the hero suits just tank shots from grunts, which was lame. But other shows a beam shot is basically impossible to do anything against, other than dodge.