Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel spends more on R&D in a quarter than AMD's revenue as an entire company last year. I wouldn't write them off cause Larrabee got lost in internal politics a decade ago.

Frankly, an expanded AMD/Intel partnership on the GPU side would not surprise me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Intels modem is working well enough that they are beating qualcomm in design win for the new iphone with faster throughout too. They just didn’t care much to put themselves behind the GPU market.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Didn't Apple have to cripple the Intel modem in software because it's enough faster than the Qualcomm version that Apple thought people would notice/start returning units to get an Intel model?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that sounds like an incredibly apple thing to do, yes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Didn't Apple have to cripple the Intel modem in software because it's enough faster than the Qualcomm version that Apple thought people would notice/start returning units to get an Intel model?

lol gross

mewse
May 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

I thought it was the opposite because qualcomm's chips are faster (and that's what the trade secret lawsuit is about, apple passing qualcomm's sekratz to intel)

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Paul MaudDib posted:

Think that's backwards. They turned off 4x4 MIMO for Qualcomm modems on the X.

efb

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxz5Tc-YRs

The most comprehensive tariff info as it relates to us ive seen so far (gamers nexus)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

where the gently caress is my 2080ti nvidia

where it is

i know you have it

Same but EVGA.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

1gnoirents posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxz5Tc-YRs

The most comprehensive tariff info as it relates to us ive seen so far (gamers nexus)

Sorry if this is lousy, hope it helps.

quote:

will affect all computer parts and components p much
indirectly affects europe's too
10% oct 1 2018
15% jan 1 2019
average gfx card profit margin of 4% average and rarely more than 8%

Affected(for example):
cases
graphics cards
power supplies

not enough capacity for un-tarriffed
Taiwanese industry to take up slack, not that they have enough production capacity
companies filling warehouses with pre-tarrifed goods
shipping costs increase as well

NZXT says will raise costs 10-25% sez talk 2 congress
Silverstone - says will raise prices proportionally to tariff
alphacool - says certain items increase, not others, "knock on effect" on kits
off record companies - "100% (of these companies) showed concerns of a 25% increase in tariffs... consumer prices"

Steve - talks about finding reps, advertising and marketing costs will be lowered
china "now has some of the best facilities for manufacturing the products you buy, on the planet. includes motherboards video cards".
So much of our stuff depends on the Chinese supply chain.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

trump has finally gone too far

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

nah dude im sure itll work

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LRADIKAL posted:

china "now has some of the best facilities for manufacturing the products you buy, on the planet. includes motherboards video cards.

China's manufacturing efficiency is already to the point where you can use literal slave labor in some other X country and still have trouble competing with them.

Not that the average MAGAer will understand though

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Chinese companies finding excuses to raise prices of goods? Never heard that one before.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Liberal: Abloo I will have to dip into my $900/month latte budget to afford a new CPU
Conservative: Now is my chance to achieve financial independence by opening my own fab

Scalding Coffee posted:

Chinese companies finding excuses to raise prices of goods? Never heard that one before.

Devious Oriental: Now is my chance to raise prices and blame it on the orange devil.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 1, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

nah dude im sure itll work

it's a great button and it definitely works

reports of it resembling a cartoon character are entirely unconfirmed at this time

ItBurns posted:

Liberal: Abloo I will have to dip into my $900/month latte budget to afford a new CPU
Conservative: Now is my chance to achieve financial independence by opening my own fab

all I need is 10 years and 5 billionty dollars and the world will be mine!

after the 2028-2030 wafer throughput expansion plan!

*pointer slaps overhead-projector whitescreen, cackles ominously to group of concerned-looking Saudi magnates*

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 1, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Scalding Coffee posted:

Chinese Every company finding excuses to raise prices of goods? Never heard that one before.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Any computer hardware maker would have to raise prices to make anything at all under these stupid tariffs. It's hardly an excuse when the choice is passing costs onto consumers or shutting down your company.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Any computer hardware maker would have to raise prices to make anything at all under these stupid tariffs. It's hardly an excuse when the choice is passing costs onto consumers or shutting down your company.

Prebuilts *might* be exempt, but don't quote me on that

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

For a while now it's actually been cheaper to buy graphics cards on Amazon US + shipping to certain parts of China than buying local retail.

Which is pretty lol because a bunch of people in China who knew about this are having a buying lane orange-coned.

Like me *sob*

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If this keeps up, I'm thinking geeks start making trips out of Taipei for hardware-buying vacations, take an extra suitcase, and buy everything EXCEPT a case.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If this keeps up, I'm thinking geeks start making trips out of Taipei for hardware-buying vacations, take an extra suitcase, and buy everything EXCEPT a case.
Finally be quiet’s extremely modular cases might serve a mainstream audience.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Any other country is still going to use the best economic excuse ever to raise prices even if they aren't directly affected by tariffs. The tariffs are so stupid because anybody who has like 2 brain cells and lived under capitalism can see this coming from a mile away.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Palladium posted:

Any other country is still going to use the best economic excuse ever to raise prices even if they aren't directly affected by tariffs. The tariffs are so stupid because anybody who has like 2 brain cells and lived under capitalism can see this coming from a mile away.

Yeah, you're probably right. GPU prices are probably going to go up worldwide in an effort to spread the pain around.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Ever since I replaced my 1070 with a 2080 FE I am experiencing frequent crash to desktop in pretty much every game.
It seem to happen randomly every 40min or so except in tomb raider when it's just after a death.
I reinstalled the driver after running display driver uninstaller but it doesn't change anything.

Could this sort of issue be due to driver maturity or is it more likely a hardware problem?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Krogort posted:

Ever since I replaced my 1070 with a 2080 FE I am experiencing frequent crash to desktop in pretty much every game.
It seem to happen randomly every 40min or so except in tomb raider when it's just after a death.
I reinstalled the driver after running display driver uninstaller but it doesn't change anything.

Could this sort of issue be due to driver maturity or is it more likely a hardware problem?

How old is your PSU? Wattage? Rating?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ironically the end result of all this tariff keep-production-at-home poo poo is no different from if you just taxed everyone a few percent more and gave out of work industrial workers more welfare. Everyone in the states + it's major trade partners now suffers for the sake of job creation in that country. Ugh.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I'm waiting for Fauxtools take on the tariff's, wonder where they disappeared to.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

Ironically the end result of all this tariff keep-production-at-home poo poo is no different from if you just taxed everyone a few percent more and gave out of work industrial workers more welfare. Everyone in the states + it's major trade partners now suffers for the sake of job creation in that country. Ugh.

I’m no MAGAer, but how else do we combat slave labor industry at China’s scale than employing tariffs? Sitting around jerking off to “the free market” while Foxconn employees commit suicide and are replaced by children seems the worst of the two options to me.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Siets posted:

I’m no MAGAer, but how else do we combat slave labor industry at China’s scale than employing tariffs? Sitting around jerking off to “the free market” while Foxconn employees commit suicide and are replaced by children seems the worst of the two options to me.

I like how we can describe Chinese as slave labor while saying their wages are getting too expensive at the same time without any hint of irony

And AFAIK Foxconn doing their darnest to get rid of so called slave labor with automation by power of the *~.free market.~*

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

How old is your PSU? Wattage? Rating?

It's a seasonic focus plus 650w gold, less than a year old. It should be enough.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What is this thread's opinion of KFA2, more specifically their RTX 2080?

They're retailing for 800EUR at the moment, considerably cheaper than the other brands. I know that in Pascal, KFA2 used cheaper memory which made them less popular with crypto miners but I have never had a card of theirs.

So are they garbage or what?

Also let me throw in Palit and Zotac. I don't wanna overclock, but I want a reliable card that doesn't sound like a jet turbine.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 1, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lord Stimperor posted:

What is this thread's opinion of KFA2, more specifically their RTX 2080?

They're retailing for 800EUR at the moment, considerably cheaper than the other brands. I know that in Pascal, KFA2 used cheaper memory which made them less popular with crypto miners but I have never had a card of theirs.

So are they garbage or what?

Also let me throw in Palit and Zotac. I don't wanna overclock, but I want a reliable card that doesn't sound like a jet turbine.

KFA2 is the European branch of GALAX, but I know Palit doesn't make crap (despite it being a Chinese brand). Zotac's initial run should be more or less a copy of the reference design, but they're notorious for cutting corners wherever and whenever they can, and at least in the US, their service takes forever since you have to slow-boat your card to Taiwan when RMAing it.

I'd go with Palit given those three choices. I'll defer to the Euros in the thread since the only brand I can speak reliably about is Zotac.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have a zotac GTX 1060. It was cheap and works well :shrug:

I know they're known for being loud and that one isn't too bad tbh. This is coming from somebody that spent entirely too many hundreds of dollars making a silent air cooled computer (different system) out of boredom

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Siets posted:

You find someone more competent to make bold changes is how. The tariffs have been and always outwardly stated as being bluffs and punishment, they have no actual value to us because they are blanket tariffs with fixed percentages. Any actual real tariff that is designed to promote domestic industry has a percentage that is unique to the market to balance import and domestic viability. If you put a "10% on everything" encompassing tens of thousands of products with a built in "well if u dont fix it then its gonna go to 25%!!!!!!" with a list of demands that sound like a bank robbers delusion then its not a tariff. Its just a tax that will hurt American companies. If you notice there is zero talk of moving factories to America due to tariffs. There is no supply chain here, which means that one factory you want to make your shiny whatever needs 15 other factories to support to even be remotely competitive even with a huge tariff advantage. Steve touched on this for GPUs but its true for almost everything. It makes no sense to ship over $0.0001 fasteners and $0.87 capacitors (and on and on and on) just to assemble them here. "Ideally" we'd want to make all that stuff but youre talking about ... well a lot of factories from a lot of different companies.

So its not even a painful step in the right direction, its just damaging. And considering the massive loss in revenue year to year due to the 20% drop in corporate tax and the, for some reason, massive ballooning deficit at the same time, dont expect these tariffs to go away. Money has got to come from somewhere...

Im sorry for getting into it but it literally affects this thread directly - today.

edit: If you want to see an example of higher effort and targeted efforts, check out today's new NAFTA. I'm not saying whether or not anybody should agree with it (or any of this) specifically but objectively speaking that has specific rules that aim for a certain outcome per industry. It has, at least, a tangible goal for each category. This is typically how trade rules look when you want to shake up the market successfully.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 1, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Isn't the whole part of the Tariffs not to just bring jobs back from China, but to get China to work with us on our own form of NAFTA?

This is literally the first Tariff that has gone from a saber rattle to actually going into affect so far, and right now China is doing plenty of other scummy crap that makes me wish there was some other way to put pressure on them. But we went and made literally everything rely on something being made there and sort of painted our market into its own corner.

I'm interested to see how things do play out because it's not going to be a permanent thing.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Finally got my EVGA 2080TI shipped. I currently have a 780 and my current psu is 550W. Got two platter drives and two ssds hooked up, no component is overclocked. Safe to just switch it in?

I've got a 850w PSU that I just bought but saving that for my build once the new Intel chips come out.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Isn't the whole part of the Tariffs not to just bring jobs back from China, but to get China to work with us on our own form of NAFTA?

Yes, though it depends on China not responding in kind.

EdEddnEddy posted:

This is literally the first Tariff that has gone from a saber rattle to actually going into affect so far, and right now China is doing plenty of other scummy crap that makes me wish there was some other way to put pressure on them. But we went and made literally everything rely on something being made there and sort of painted our market into its own corner.

Its at the very least the second round. Farmers would like to have a word, as would steel and aluminum. But yes China is getting big, they are one party and have total economic control, and now they make everything. This is a problem for the USA.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I'm interested to see how things do play out because it's not going to be a permanent thing.

Yes it is , and I agree it will not be permanent. Where and when it exactly is no longer permanent under which circumstances will certainly be the interesting part and as of now it seems like anything could happen. But dont forget about complacence. People have short memories, even shorter if its political, and we could slip into acceptance since things wont be labeled "$400 + sales tax + tariff =". And again there is a significant revenue problem going on and this is hard (short term) currency for the government no matter how you slice it. And guess which country we are in massive financial debt to already

unpurposed posted:

Finally got my EVGA 2080TI shipped. I currently have a 780 and my current psu is 550W. Got two platter drives and two ssds hooked up, no component is overclocked. Safe to just switch it in?

I've got a 850w PSU that I just bought but saving that for my build once the new Intel chips come out.

:mad: RARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG

550 watt should cover it outside of a few standout high wattage CPUs out there. I'll be running a 2080ti on 500 watts

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Lol

Things are never going back to the sweet deals going on these past few years, Component prices are not going to drop to these levels again in your lifetime, and China is not going to lose face to loving Dolan Tront, the laughingstock of the UN, and other than nuclear warfare there’s nothing America can do to force China’s hand without shooting itself in the foot

Next year we get a 1500USD iPhone

So yeah, things are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I waited about ten years to upgrade my PC hoping for Intel to get off tick-tock, and for RAM and GPU prices to drop, let me be the one to tell you that waiting out bad pricing and incremental improvement isn’t what it’s cracked up to be.