Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Kingfish posted:

I can’t remember, who threw the soda can at rusty and billy?

S464 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Kingfish posted:

I can’t remember, who threw the soda can at rusty and billy?

I figure S464 threw it out the window while operating the weather control machine and the turbine spun it around. Billy made the quite logical conclusion about the presence of such litter.

Actually isn't too surprising that Billy and Rusty make a good adventuring duo, they're both intelligent and experienced with relatively minimal quirks, and neither is as cowardly as Pete.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

So Hank is freaking out over Sirena like REALLY BAD, so he goes outside hell bent on a mission to find her and... starts playing imaginary football the second he steps outside?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

graham cracker posted:

So Hank is freaking out over Sirena like REALLY BAD, so he goes outside hell bent on a mission to find her and... starts playing imaginary football the second he steps outside?

There have been hints that maybe he has some kind of developmental disabilities or mental health disorder issues this season.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
They are actually pretty good. Sure they have some hiccups like them having misdirections when it came to finding the orb. :v: sides poor Pete would be set ablazed if he tried. I dig Rusty and Billy’s dynamic chemistry. I honestly expected the mission to go horribly wrong and shenanigans occur but nope Rusty handled it pretty well.

Edited: It’s been hinted that Hank has a severe case of ADD and yeah sound about right he would get distracted to do something else.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

graham cracker posted:

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development.

Inattention means a person wanders off task, lacks persistence, has difficulty sustaining focus, and is disorganized; and these problems are not due to defiance or lack of comprehension.

Hyperactivity means a person seems to move about constantly, including in situations in which it is not appropriate; or excessively fidgets, taps, or talks. In adults, it may be extreme restlessness or wearing others out with constant activity.

Impulsivity means a person makes hasty actions that occur in the moment without first thinking about them and that may have high potential for harm; or a desire for immediate rewards or inability to delay gratification. An impulsive person may be socially intrusive and excessively interrupt others or make important decisions without considering the long-term consequences.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

They are actually pretty good. Sure they have some hiccups like them having misdirections when it came to finding the orb. :v: sides poor Pete would be set ablazed if he tried. I dig Rusty and Billy’s dynamic chemistry. I honestly expected the mission to go horribly wrong and shenanigans occur but nope Rusty handled it pretty well.

Edited: It’s been hinted that Hank has a severe case of ADD and yeah sound about right he would get distracted to do something else.

I really do like Rusty being at least slightly competent this season. It's nice to see him actually accomplish things for a change

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Rusty has really done a bunch of competent things this season. Hell, the OSI willingly called him to do a super-science mission, he went out without Brock, and completed his mission in a straightforward manner without breaking a sweat. I'm not sure he even got paid.

(Honestly, I'm still holding out hope that the finale's big reveal will be some big plot by Rusty to get rid of Brock and Gathers.)

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I assumed that the football scene was a response to hypothermia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hank could have had a really bad case of cabin fever stuck inside without Dean or anyone else his age to talk to. Wouldn't be surprised if he kept texting Sirena just because he's bored out of his mind without anything to do. ADHD would make sense, but could be as much him taking a minute to relax and enjoy himself.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
True but at the same time we saw him get overly clingy with Serena. Like he was pretty bummed out when he was hoping to take her on a date night and she had college. Some of its ADD but I also feel like it’s a bit of inexperience on Hanks part. Dude does not know the definition of giving someone space. I blame Rocco because he’s the rear end in a top hat who made Hank lose his job, which did kept him busy. Dude does not like being cooped up in a rich tower all day

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 1, 2018

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like that Sheila got her revenge on Kimberly McManus for slighting her a few eps back by walking her to S-464s room without clarifying exactly how much brain wiping they did.

Edit: this weeks T-shirt is ok, i was hoping for an army green shirt with the sweet old school OSI logo that was on docs emergency phone though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He liked it when he could buy enough rich kid trash to fill the penthouse, but I guess that got whisked away pretty sharpish.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shindragon posted:

True but at the same time we saw him get overly clingy with Serena. Like he was pretty bummed out when he was hoping to take her on a date night and she had college. Some of its ADD but I also feel like it’s a bit of inexperience on Hanks part. Dude does not know the definition of giving someone space. I blame Rocco because he’s the rear end in a top hat who made Hank lose his job, which did kept him busy. Dude does not like being cooped up in a rich tower all day

That sounds about right but also makes sense in that Hank is basically just as bad as Dean in having no idea of how relationships work, not to mention being a horny teenager who's finally getting laid on the reg, that can turn any boy into a monster.

Watching Hank go off the rails should be fuuuuun.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

echomadman posted:

I like that Sheila got her revenge on Kimberly McManus for slighting her a few eps back by walking her to S-464s room without clarifying exactly how much brain wiping they did.

Incidentally, that's one of the first really evil things Sheila has ever done personally, as opposed to just facilitating efficient evil on behalf of other people.

She must have really been offended by McManus not knowing who she was.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds about right but also makes sense in that Hank is basically just as bad as Dean in having no idea of how relationships work, not to mention being a horny teenager who's finally getting laid on the reg, that can turn any boy into a monster.
Is he getting laid? Last we saw them try, they could only get as far as getting her shirt off before he had a panic attack/blew his load off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Incidentally, that's one of the first really evil things Sheila has ever done personally, as opposed to just facilitating efficient evil on behalf of other people.

She must have really been offended by McManus not knowing who she was.

Her interrogation of HELPeR was pretty ruthless. She can turn the charm on and off like a tap when she needs to.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

Has the possibility of Brock as SB been raised? Seems like it makes good sense, other than "where and why did he get that specific costume."

otherwise I choose to believe SB is a random-rear end serial-killer-cosplaying furry on the street in NYC during a blizzard, which doesn't sound like much of a reach

I don't think he can be Brock. Besides the fact that he's not massive enough, we have a few instances where Brock and Scare Bear are in different places at the same moment.

Scare Bear's first appearance was in "Bright Lights, Dean City," when Brock is at the Venture Compound working wish SPHINX, as evidenced by "Everybody Comes to Hanks," which takes place at the same time. He is also out and about searching for Hank (assisted by Rocco who is looking for Sirena) during the Doom Factory arching, and Scare Bear is at the party at Venture's penthouse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Her interrogation of HELPeR was pretty ruthless. She can turn the charm on and off like a tap when she needs to.

Oh, she definitely can; she just usually isn't motivated to be malicious on her own account. She's often done terrible things for other people, but, well, we just saw her relationship with her theoretical archenemy and it mostly involved crying.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I get the feeling that Shelia wasn't the one that decided that S464 should have his mind wiped. She seemed pretty genuine when talking to Kimberly and if she was petty enough to still be mad she could have just told her to gently caress off.

I also get the feeling that Scare Bear isn't one of the characters we've already seen. Unless it's someone way out of left field like that homeless superhero we saw last season or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think we are overlooking the obvious question.

Does this mean The Monarch gets his butterglider back?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I'm really interested in the context of what Doc and Billy were doing in the Time Cabinet and why Doc was dressed up as a survivor of the Titanic and Billy as some sort of Confederate officer. At first blush, it's obviously a short hand illustration to imply they've been hoping through time including those periods, but I'd wager they were actually at some sort of costume party in the not too distant future where Rusty is now on at least amicable terms with The Monarch. What they're trying to fix is also a mystery.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Xelkelvos posted:

So I'm really interested in the context of what Doc and Billy were doing in the Time Cabinet and why Doc was dressed up as a survivor of the Titanic and Billy as some sort of Confederate officer. At first blush, it's obviously a short hand illustration to imply they've been hoping through time including those periods, but I'd wager they were actually at some sort of costume party in the not too distant future where Rusty is now on at least amicable terms with The Monarch. What they're trying to fix is also a mystery.

Also why does it seem as though Doc thinks that the Monarch is also time-travelling in the past instead of just being the Monarch in his regular timeline? Or was Doc being literal when he said 'whatever amount of millions of years ago' instead of just hyperbolic and thus thought that the Monarch should not exist yet?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Scare Bear is a ressurected Wonderboy 2, a la Jason Todd/Red Hood

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Just as an aside: I love that James Adomian has become a regular member of the cast lending his voice to various characters. Not that I'm sick of Doc and Jackson, but it really does help the universe to feel more full to have someone else voicing side characters when a good 50% (at least) of the conversations had by main characters on the show are taking place between the same two actors.

Machai posted:

Scare Bear is a ressurected Wonderboy 2, a la Jason Todd/Red Hood

This is the second best theory, after Teddy-Talk-To-Me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bull3964 posted:

Hell, this means the Monarch has acquired a shitload of materiel the Guild probably thought lost.

Wouldn't be surprising that the Monarch climbs the ranks quickly by Guild standards because he's actually (kinda) pretty good at what he does. I mean, the dude did flat out murder a bunch of heroic arches between seasons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also why does it seem as though Doc thinks that the Monarch is also time-travelling in the past instead of just being the Monarch in his regular timeline? Or was Doc being literal when he said 'whatever amount of millions of years ago' instead of just hyperbolic and thus thought that the Monarch should not exist yet?

It's possible they're from a parallel timeline where The Monarch never became the Monarch or they've been time hopping into the far future and dressed up as museum exhibits

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Maybe. That'd certainly be a very Venture Bros. way of handling that brief scene in the last episode; like how they show a trailer where the main plot of the next episode will apparently be Doc trying to bed a black widow, but instead that's the D-plot. These guys love misdirection. If they were a supervillainess, they'd be Miss Direction, and their arches would mostly involve leading protagonists into doing something to stop them, but in the end they were only wasting their time or actually (and accidentally) doing a little villainy, because Miss Direction was manipulating them.

But, Doc and Monarch would have to make up over the course of, what, 5 or 6 (in other words, next season) years to be on a first-name basis before either of them visibly aged? It's possible, I guess.

420 Gank Mid posted:

I can think of two possibilities: 1) Time Doc and Time Billy are actually from millions of years in the future, and they are descendants of the characters we know and love, and they just so happen to look exactly the same, and Monarch looks like this dude they know called Malcolm because Malcolm is also a far-off descendant of Monarch; or 2) Doc meant to go back to prehistoric times, back 75 million years, and he thinks he did just that--but in fact, he only went back a few years or so, and they've been jumping through time so much that they didn't realize they were in the late 2010s.

Or, like I wondered earlier, maybe they're Alternate Doc and Alternate Billy. Perhaps a time machine mishap or two (or three or forty-two) created an alternate timeline, and in that line, Doc and Billy know Monarch as Malcolm, and they're all on good terms. Now, they're going back in time to fix whatever they screwed up (Billy says as much), and they bumped into the timeline that we all know and love. (And, also, Doc seriously thought he'd gone back 75 million years, and they are so frazzled from trying to fix the timelines they've messed up that they didn't notice that Mission Creep was not a caveman, because they weren't actually 75 million years in the past.)

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Look, I just wanna hear Scare Bear speak in Teddy Talk-To-Me's voice. Is that so much to ask? I just wanna slide down rainbows!

Or it's...

GRUMPY BANDERSNATCH!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bull3964 posted:

He totally should have stole it. Also I completely blank on the homeless superhero.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doc and Jackson are laughing their assess off at everyone theory crafting the time traveling bit since they probably came up with it off the cuff to distract Mission Creep and give no further thought to it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Monarchs are migrating through my city this week and it makes me happy. Just wanted to say that.

When I drive down the highway I picture the henchmen when brock runs them down.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mission Creep is a Grade A name incidentally

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
The Doc and Billy that walk out of the time machine think they've traveled to prehistoric times, that's why they keep calling Mission Creep a caveman and that's why they are surprised to see Malcolm.

I very much look forward to the truth about Doc and the Monarch coming to light and this little interlude makes me hopeful that it will happen soon, though if Doc and Billy are rushing through time to fix something it might not go well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Mission Creep is a Grade A name incidentally

I agree.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I interpreted the football thing less as getting distracted from finding Sirena and more Hank being really Hank and psyching himself up to cross the frozen tundra between the Ventech building and Wide Wale's building. Making "crossing the street to check in on his girlfriend" into a big heroic touchdown run seems like something he'd do, ignoring the fact that I had no idea he was into football.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

ignoring the fact that I had no idea he was into football.

Pretending to be a hero quarterback is Classic Hank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyHdPreWfpM

And as a follow-up, here's the origin of "You can do it, Duffy Moon!" for anyone curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gz9E15o6Ug

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Didn't the cloning and SPHINX memory wipes also mess the boys up?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Sagittarius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Hank said "Wednesday" instead of pink when Brock pointed out the side effects of the memory wipe to Doc, and Dean identified one of the days of the week as"Sagittarius." It never came up again, though, so I guess they got better.

As for the cloning... I don't think that messed them up, but I'm not sure. Hank sort-of remembers jumping off the Venture Compound dressed as Batman, though he's not sure if it's a memory or a dream... so... maybe?