Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

It's not at all clear from the text that this is what happened. They met at Ohtori, but they could have only hooked up after her mom graduated, when it was no longer quite as creepy.

It's a shame we don't have our parents' ages. Subtracting our age (14) from Mom's age would solve that instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
hey saionji ur a giant nerd

e: since that wasn't actually clear, it's a vote to confront

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Asshat over yonder needs to be smacked down

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Publically gently caress Saionji up.

I am also disappointed in you, thread. These people are awful, don't play their games!

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Confront him. I can only assumed we were invited in the hope we'd make a scene, it would be rude not to oblige.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Confront him. He should try placing himself in Chu Chu's position sometime, maybe then he wouldn't think it's so funny. Or maybe we're past that episode?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Flac posted:

Confront him. He should try placing himself in Chu Chu's position sometime, maybe then he wouldn't think it's so funny. Or maybe we're past that episode?

That was the most recent episode before the game starts, so Saionji has very recently had the experience of walking a mile in Chu-Chu's shoes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Canonically, this game is set in the first arc after Utena has fought everyone but Touga and nothing that happens in it technically violates canon.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Canonically, this game is set in the first arc after Utena has fought everyone but Touga and nothing that happens in it technically violates canon.

Yes, but that means it's set before Saionji's expulsion in Episode 9, plus the curry thing in Episode 8 is referenced as having already happened, so that means between 8 and 9.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think we can just call this one for messing up Saionji.

Only two more updates left in Day 1. We're coming along, thread!

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Patter Song posted:

Yes, but that means it's set before Saionji's expulsion in Episode 9, plus the curry thing in Episode 8 is referenced as having already happened, so that means between 8 and 9.

Half of me is excitedly hoping for this game to try and explain how things went back to normal after the curry business in this game

But the other half knows that's never gonna happen, because this is Utena

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chapter IX: You Mean This Game Has A Plot?

Last time, Saionji was tormenting Chu-Chu and you all voted to intervene. Prepare for a staggeringly long update to make up for last time's short one.

Patter Song: (It's probably best to play fair, and just confront him head-on.)

Patter Song: Hey, stop that!

Saionji: Hmm? That voice...

Patter Song: What's so fun about picking on things that are weaker than you?

I don't know about "weaker."

Chu-Chu can take care of himself.

Patter Song: I'm not an insect! I have a name, you know. It's Patter Song.

Saionji: ...and hero of the campus, Kyouichi Saionji. So what's with your rude attitude? Really, women should act more modestly. Like Anthy, for example.

Arrogant jackass.

You go, Protagonist-Us! You tell him those hard truths!

Saionji: You laymen are so troublesome. She was simply being shy, like a good modest woman.

This guy. This guy. You keep slapping Anthy to the floor and you're all "she's playing hard to get!"

Patter Song: You think so...?

Even the idiot we're playing as knows the truth here

:ohdear:

Patter Song: Ah! (It...didn't fall? I thought it fell towards me, but...A hand? Someone caught the candlestick...That hand...it can't be...?)

I am so not impressed right now.

Saionji: It's not a big deal.

Patter Song: Hey, your left hand...isn't it burned!? You should go cool it quickly!

Saionji: I said it wasn't a big deal! More to the point, that monkey needs harsher discipline.

At this, Saionji storms off. He did save us from the falling candlestick, burning his hand in the process...but he clearly still dislikes us, and leaves without gaining any additional point bonus to our affinity to him. You all did, in fact, pick the right choice to keep alienating him, if that was the goal.

Patter Song: (Man...I thought those two would totally stand out, but I don't see them anywhere...! Oh, there's Anthy! But where's she going...? Anyway, now that I've found her, I should chase after her!)

:what:

Patter Song: (Huh...? Who are these guys?)

Boy 2: The wind feels really nice up on the balcony. What happened to your mask? Did you lose it?

Patter Song: (What's this...is he trying to pick me up? I thought balls like this were for gentlemen and ladies. Darn, I lost track of Anthy!) Excuse me, please let me through.

Boy 1: Aww, don't say that! C'mon, come with us.

Patter Song: (Man, he's obstinate!)

Go off alone with two, possibly drunk, prep school rich boys as a pretty young underclassman at a party where everyone is wearing masks and listening to loud music? What could possibly go wrong? ...Seriously, though, get out of there, Protagonist-Us. This is highly unsafe.

Or...we could be saved by a handsome Prince. That, too.

Soundtrack: The One Who Shoots At the Sun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W1Y2_lg-UU

Patter Song: (She has a good figure, and she's so gallant. It's like straight out of the ancient nobility! She seems kind of intense...I guess she's another member of the Student Council?)

Do you do this to literally everyone you meet? If you get a package delivery, do you start drooling over the mailman?

Boy 1: Hey, this is bad. It's Jury Arisugawa...Let's get out of here.

Yes, I'm sticking with Jury, but if it's really offending you when I use that spelling, please amend it to Juri in your head. Thank you. Again, I have no strong preference between them, but I want to be consistent with the official English release.

Patter Song: (Ah, free at last! But I still lost sight of Anthy.) Um...thank you very much! My name is Patter Song.

Jury: Patter? Then you're the new resident of the East Dorm.

Patter Song: That's right. But how did you...?

Jury: You're quite famous among the members of the Student Council.

Patter Song: Famous...? What do you mean?

Jury: You'll understand sooner or later.

I...I'm not sure I want Protagonist-Us to be famous among the members of the Student Council. Then again, today she babbled like an idiot in front of Miki, danced with Touga while suggesting she might be his long-lost sister, and made Saionji pour hot wax all over himself, so...

Patter Song: (What should I do, I've got to talk about something! A topic...a topic...)

Ah, good, conversation. Next time, on Utena, we will vote on what to talk about with Jury. The options are...

Patter Song: I wish I could be like you...

:what: Touga gets a vote, Miki gets a vote, Saionji gets a vote...but flirting with Jury is mandatory.

Jury: I'm...not that strong.

Patter Song: Huh? But...

Jury: I, too, want to become strong. But..

Patter Song: (Senpai, why do you look sad?)

Protagonist-Us, you're activating Jury's soft spot for purple-haired girls.

Jury: If you'd like, please come visit the Fencing Club. Becoming physically strong helps one gain confidence.

Patter Song: Um, sure! Thank you very much.

"As a woman," you want to get into her pants. Don't kid yourself. Although whether or not you do depends on the tender mercies of the thread.

Patter Song: (But I'm a little concerned about that locket by her chest. Is it the kind that you keep a lover's picture in...?)

Oh, you have no idea.

We've finally met everyone! Affinity increase with Jury.

I think they must just start you off high with Saionji in expectations that it'd crater eventually, because otherwise I couldn't explain why he's higher than Miki.

Anyways, it's that time again!

:siren: Jury Arisugawa Character Analysis :siren:

Jury is the head of the Fencing Club at Ohtori and is a ferocious fighter.

She has total contempt for miracles as a concept and of Utena's ambitions to follow the footsteps of her Prince in particular.

Now that said...she's probably the most changed character between the versions of the series.

Manga Jury is madly in love with Touga, but Touga has a unique problem. He actually respects Jury and takes her seriously as a person and a friend, and because Touga's dating mode is "bang and burn the contact info afterwards," he doesn't see Jury as romantic material. Manga Touga's inability to even conceive of an equal relationship between a man and a woman where they aren't using each other for sex and power means he completely rules out Jury as a romantic partner, much to Jury's dismay, who turns bitter and hostile towards Utena over Touga's obvious crush on her. Jury is cold and ruthless in her opposition to Utena for most of the manga.

If you watched the show first, like most people in the West did, you'd find this characterization completely bizarre and incongruous with what you're expecting me to talk about : Anime/Movie Jury's unrequited crush on Shiori, a purple-haired girl whose picture Jury keeps in her locket. Shiori betrayed Jury when they were young and Jury consistently struggles with her mad yearning for Shiori and her knowledge that Shiori really, really isn't a good person.

The other characters constantly comment on Jury's refinement and good looks. Jury is an expert bowler and a fashion model in addition to being an expert fencer. Jury has two of the most fraught and emotionally stressful episodes in the series dedicated to her, episodes 28 and 29, when her mentor, Ruka, comes back to Ohtori after a long break due to illness. If you ever want to see just how different the anime and manga are, watch those two episodes and compare it to the manga chapter it's adapted from. Wildly different characterizations.

If the other Juries could meet Manga Jury, they'd surely say:

I love how even the manga calls out "lilies" (yuri) as one of Jury's favorite things. Some hinting can't be avoided. Anyway, Jury's birthday is December 1st, making her a Sagittarius, and she's Blood Type A, like so many of these people. She and Touga could get blood transfusions, if nothing else. We are clearly dealing with Anime Jury, who is most definitely interested in girls primarily, making our lovely purple-haired female protagonist right up Jury's alley...but is "filling in the hole left by her long-lost love" the road the thread wants to go down?

End Character Analysis

OK, back to the ball. When we left our heroine, she was looking for Utena and Anthy...

Soundtrack: Eros of the Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdd2ylk_GRg

???: Young lady...Would you favor me with a dance?

Could it be...?

:what: YES, you idiot. Yes, that's the same person you met a few hours ago. Look at her. You literally said that you could never forget someone who looked like that.

???: Come.

Soundtrack: The Dance of Death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E338R8bQTQ4

Well, all you people who were saying you weren't satisfied with any of the romantic options, I hope you're happy now.

???: Do you know about the Rose Bride?

Patter Song: Huh?

???: To obtain her is to obtain the Power to Revolutionize the World.

Patter Song: Why are you talking about that?

Well, well, we have another challenger, do we?

Patter Song: Are you...a member of the Student Council?

???: Not all Duelists are members of the Student Council. The current victor, Utena Tenjou, isn't one either.

Patter Song: Ah...

???: However...she won't be engaged to the Rose Bride for much longer.

Patter Song: What do you mean? Are you...

Patter Song: (This person's eyes...they're somehow really scary! Why...?)

???: ...You will disappear.

Patter Song: What?

I'm feeling really good about this new romantic option, don't know about you all. ??? route is clearly the way to go.

At this point, the power blacks out and there's a crashing sound. When the lights come back on, we're greeted with a sight for sore eyes.

Patter Song: ...Yes. Thank you.

Jury: Still, to interfere with one of the Student Council's balls...that takes a lot of guts, don't you think?

Miki: This was a clear act of opposition to the Student Council.

Touga: Not so fast, Mickey. We haven't determined that yet.

Saionji: Hey, transfer student. What's that stuck to your back?

Patter Song: Huh?

Did someone stick a Kick Me note to her back or...Oh!

Oh...........Hey, Protagonist-Us is not Utena's locker! You can't just leave her mail like that!

Soundtrack: Nova https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm-Cez-qu70

No Abraxas speech, just the creepy, eerie subdued remix of the Abraxas music, appropriate for the late night gathering of the Student Council.

Miki: The sounds of breaking glass that we heard were simply drink glasses, getting knocked off a table by a confused student. I asked the student about it, but nothing was wrong in particular. It seems it was just a simple accident. Also, this circuit breaker was dropped over by the switchboard.

Jury: But the switch board should have been locked...

Miki: I saw no traces of the lock being broken or tampered with. They probably used a spare key.

What is going on here? Who would even have that key? Is there a Janitor Duelist now?

Thanks for getting us back on subject, Saionji. Also, check out that balcony at night!

Patter Song: I...(When the heck did that happen? If it was before the lights went out, someone would have noticed...So I guess it was just before. Come to think of it, that person...)

Chu-Chu: Chuu.

Utena: Hey, it's a free country!

Chu-Chu: Chuu.

:swoon: Oh, Utena.

Miki: I'm sorry, Tenjou-senpai. For the time being, since it's a Student Council meeting, we should use the Student Council room...

Utena: So it's some kind of school rule? I guess it can't be helped, then.

Touga: No, it's just so we have the right atmosphere.

Utena: What?

I love Touga confessing that the only reason they meet up here is for the atmosphere. He might mean that literally, as in that it's the only place on campus where they could have random baseball players, reporters, trains, exploding flowers, and knife tossing contests happen. There's something magical about that balcony.

Touga: What's more, they've decided to do us the courtesy of announcing their presence.

Utena: Huh? Me too?

Touga: As the one engaged to the Rose Bride, there's a good possibility that you might be targeted.

Utena: Man, what a bother. And why the 25th? Can't they just duel me immediately, like usual?

So, Protagonist-Us is seriously not going to bring up seeing ??? earlier in the day next to a creepy Snow White calendar with the 25th circled? Or a creepy mosaic with her and the other duelists?

Miki: That's certainly mysterious. Why did they designate the 25th, three days in advance?

Jury: Presumably they're going to allow the time to allow them to beat Utena Tenjou.

Saionji: Hey. What about you, transfer student?

Patter Song: I don't really...

Utena: Leave her alone, Saionji. She has nothing to do with this.

Saionji: She could have stuck the card on her back herself and lied about it. She might have thought that setting the duel three days ahead would give her time to find your weak point.

...I hate it when Saionji seems like the smartest one out of the Student Council. Also, who would need three days to figure out Utena's weakness? I'll spare you the suspense: Utena's weakness is Anthy. You'd think that wouldn't be so hard to figure out, Saionji: you have the exact same weakness.

You just showed up today. Akio got you into the best dorm on campus next to the current champion. You have a mysterious past. Anyone not suspicious of you isn't doing their job.

Patter Song: (I'm just a victim here! Stop looking at me so coldly!)

So we need to reassure people that we're not the challenger and that we're as disturbed by the situation as anyone. We might even have a lead, like the creepy person who openly said that she was going to duel Utena Tenjou we just danced with, who has a calendar with the 25th circled. We've got this. We can solve this mystery. Should we vow to Catch the culprit or Make a joke even though now would be the worst possible time for a joke and would likely just make us seem more suspicious?

See you next time! Until then, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Patter Song posted:

even though now would be the worst possible time for a joke

The worst possible time, or the best possible time?

Make a joke

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Catch the culprit

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Great Detective Patter Song is on the case!!!!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Make a joke

Patter Song is going to continue to live her life the only way she knows how, with copious amounts of dad jokes

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Make a joke!

(I know what will hap-pen if she keeps mak-ing jooookes, fufufufufu.)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not the smartest of people, and I love it. It means I get to watch TV and anime as they were intended instead of being a smartypants who works it out before the reveal. Jury is one such case where I hadn't worked it out beforehand, and I fell for the fakeout hook line and sinker. It was amazing and I was crushed.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Catch the culprit! Master Detective Patter Song is on the case!

Now that we've met the student council, it's exciting to see the plot get underway.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Joke

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leraika posted:

I'll never not be able to interpret the phrase "Great Detective" as a reference to Detective Pikachu, and I'm never going to play that game so I don't know if that's a positive or negative reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcf0d5UzYgY

What a trailer.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

If the plot comes knocking, you step up to the plate. We'll find the person who did this.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

as a forgetful new transfer student with zero knowledge of Otori we will definitely catch the culprit

edit:

Patter Song posted:

I'll never not be able to interpret the phrase "Great Detective" as a reference to Detective Pikachu, and I'm never going to play that game so I don't know if that's a positive or negative reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcf0d5UzYgY

What a trailer.

You've shown me this once before but I still can't stop laughing at Pikachu's outer borough accent

Baconomics fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 1, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Leraika posted:

This has my vote

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's never not time for jokes!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheDavies posted:

Make a joke!

(I know what will hap-pen if she keeps mak-ing jooookes, fufufufufu.)

Please knock off that writing style. Also, we all know what will happen if we keep making jokes: Dallbun will make increasingly defensive posts about the difficulty of translating Japanese puns.

Edit: Just wanted to make it clear that this isn't a shot at Dallbun and I'm under the impression these jokes are terrible in Japanese, too, which makes his job even harder.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 1, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The jokes will continue until morale improves

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjoke

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
How is this even a question. Joke

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Detective time!

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Nothing but jokes!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Our life is nothing but a cruel joke.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
This vote is surprisingly close. It's staying open for a bit longer.

Only thing I'm beginning to regret about the style of the thread is that the emphasis on voting detracts from discussion of the game's story. Anyone have anything to say about our encounter with ??? or the challenge to Utena? After all, I remember people here asking how the dueling and such would get involved into the game's plot.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Patter Song posted:

This vote is surprisingly close. It's staying open for a bit longer.

Only thing I'm beginning to regret about the style of the thread is that the emphasis on voting detracts from discussion of the game's story. Anyone have anything to say about our encounter with ??? or the challenge to Utena? After all, I remember people here asking how the dueling and such would get involved into the game's plot.

I'm hoping we'll get to end up doing some dueling ourselves, but I'm not sure how they'd handle that in a VN format.

e: also come on guys, this game looks interesting enough that I don't wanna get the 'lol you just picked joke every time' bad end. :mad:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
The [b]Joke[b] end might not be the best end, but it will not be the worst.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ain't no getting off this joke train we're on

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I feel like people in this thread aren’t appreciating the grave seriousness of the situation. This story cries out for a detective.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Detective.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vote is currently 12-9 for jokes, and is far and away our highest turnout vote so far.

It's clear you all realize that the stakes are higher now than in previous votes.

Anyway, I'll leave the vote open until tomorrow. I'll call it then so you all will know what's up.

Next update will be relatively short, and then we'll finish off Day 1. Real meat of the game starts in Day 2 (mutually exclusive events/locations where doing one thing locks us out of other things etc, usual VN gameplay), so the votes will be getting more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
If it cannot break the case's shell, a detective will die without being born. We are the detective. The world is our case.