Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Firgof posted:

That's certainly something I'd be interested to test. Over such a distance though I'd be somewhat surprised to not find signal degradation -- but if it's not enough degradation that the firmware/drivers can't piece it back together then it just nets with a little more CPU usage and guesswork, I'd imagine.

e: That said, I'd appreciate some pointers on how to properly measure that to make sure I can post info that's actually useful to y'all.
If it is indeed a standard coax cable then your best bet is probably a long cable rather than using couplers, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The new Echo Combat mode is fun, but Threat Detector needs a serious range nerf on it. You can scan clear to the other team's spawn right from the capture point, and a second guy with it will almost definitely pick up anyone the first pass didn't.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vox Machinae freaking rules but maintaining situational awareness is hard, also the Vive controllers hurt my hands before long. Anyone have any gameplay/comfort advice?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Check your radar often, try to keep the high ground, always be the one surprising, not getting surprised. Use jump jets often, but avoid jumping vertically (fall damage and an easy target)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

Yeah I did, fast notes: you could trip the tracking when your head turns fast you can make it break, the hands weren't perfect, but good lord the experience as a whole was not anything I was expecting and this thing is gonna be loving huge. Can't wait for release

Ok, now that I've decompressed from the week, let me be a little more detailed with my thoughts here. Note the caveat that I'm definitely super biased - everything I've seen/heard about Quest from before OC5 led to me strongly believe it's going to be a hit in a way other VR headsets can't be, so I was definitely predisposed to like it and had high expectations.

I tried out both Super hot VR and the Dead and Buried arena thing. I definitely noticed differences in the experiences, which is to be expected I think. When getting ready to do the DaB one, the person speaking with us made it clear it was more experimental and stuff that's probably a few years off from being really ready, and they were more or less just pushing things as far as they could go.

I'll start with Super hot. My main goal with this was to run around a lot. I wasn't trying to figure out how good the screen door effect was, or where exactly the hand tracking would break exactly on the edges of my view, but mostly to see whether it feel likes I'm making any sacrifices compared to using a Rift on PC. My conclusion was that it was loving great. In the normal course of play, which included taking several steps at once, turning quickly, walking and shooting, leaping forward to punch someone, I had no tracking issues. Like I said, I wasn't trying to break it, but there was also no instance where I wanted to do something and had to take the tracking into account or anything like that. The graphics were not noticeably bad, although it's super hot so it's not going to be insane anyway. My conclusion is overall that if you want to play super hot, or if for some reason you wanted to buy a VR headset only for super hot, Quest will by far be the best system to play it on. Not even close.

For Dead and Buried, they start by putting the headset on you and the world is rendered in this sketchy black and white view, it looked pretty similar to when that guy in the keynote was doing the "what will things look like in a few years" thing. You could look at your hands and they would be rendered correctly in terms of depth and position - I spent a lot of time in GearVR using the passthrough camera and the position of everything is hosed up enough that even like reaching out to grab a cup is super weird, so this blew me away. It seemed to pick my hands up almost instantly when I was looking straight at them. If you whipped your head around really fast, then you could see the limits of how it would track. Initially the world is empty and it looks like there's a white canvas right in front of your eyes, then the different depths get filled in over a second or two and the features of the world fall into place.

Then they handed us the controllers and you could see them with the controllers in their hand, but the controllers are rendered differently, just as solid objects instead of the sketchy view. They have you walk into circles on the ground and you can see your legs and everything when looking down which was neat. The game loads in and replaces the sketchy view, then you setup wherever you want and the game starts.

Game itself wasn't that interesting so I'll go over the tracking. If you move too fast (like you start running) or you turn your head too quickly, then the world sticks still, like it felt like it went back to just 3dof tracking. If you stay still for a second or two it catches back up and you jump to where you're supposed to be. I was usually only crouch walking so it only really happened when I turned around quickly in the normal course of play. It wasn't too bad, but if I was totally new to VR it would definitely freak me out for the tracking to drop out like that.

Overall the super hot thing was incredible and totally ready for everyone to play it, Dead and Buried was an awesome experiment that is definitely not ready yet. But holy moly what they did with the pass through (they called it mixed reality I think which sort of makes sense but now that term is overloaded to the point of uselessness) is loving incredible for where it's at and I was NOT expecting anything like it at all. To do that all in a self contained headset was nuts. Losing my mind for Quest over here.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
For Vox Machinae:
I jumped on the 16 player Tokyo server last night for a half dozen rounds and it was both glorious and chaotic.

WRT Situational awareness, yeah you gotta keep half an eye on the minimap in the lower left for robbits ( enemy & friendly alike ). I found trying to acquire and keep targets on Blast Chamber pretty frustrating though because everyone just blends into the shadows.

Play with your loadouts. So yesterday I was saying yeah get your Goldrush and keep that flak cannon, pull the airhorn and charge! It's fun, destructive but a one way ticket and free points to your enemies. I decided to stick with the Goldrush ( I like it's mobility ) but go with an all cannon build. Two small cannons up top and the big cannon in your belly. The drawbacks are the high spread of shots while moving and low projectile speed. It makes it difficult to hit jumping enemies and targets at range ( moreso with the large cannon ). Plus side is you don't have to keep facing your target to maintain does, and you've a lot more heat to sustain fire if you've found yourself a good firing position. The two top small cannons are great for hill jumping and keeping a low profile ( but don't have your big gun in the same fire group as it has splash damage that'll hurt your legs ).

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 30, 2018

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I like vox, it's got a solid core of game that just needs a few tweaks. And more content. Three game modes, all 8v8 and three zones with make for gameplay that's going to get stale in a hurry.

Walking speed definitely needs to be adjusted, even the lightest mech just doesn't go anywhere. There isn't a ton of place for lighter mechs because there's no way to run over land and you easily get shot out of the sky. You can't really maneuver to stay behind someone once they know you're there. Your legs blow themselves off when you're jump jetting too fast way too easily. Goldrush is a good compromise of power and speed, in fact it may be a little too good. I think it's the best mech in the game currently. Machine guns are underrated but can be real good, the only weapon I really don't like is the large cannon because of the huge dropoff making it difficult to pair with anything. A lot of the default loadouts are bad, pairing on-target weapons (lasers) with weapons that require leading the target is just a bad idea. Mechs in general die too fast. I want more MWO type slugging matches instead of games where things are over in 3-4 seconds.

Maybe I'm short in the game but when I pull the map over it completely obscures my speed gauge. Wish I could move it up and down! I know they don't want to overload people with info, but a lock-on system and viewing what parts of the enemy mech was damaged would really help, as would some sort of ECM - it's hard to ambush people when they can just see your dot on their screen around the hill.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Ciaphas posted:

Vox Machinae freaking rules but maintaining situational awareness is hard, also the Vive controllers hurt my hands before long. Anyone have any gameplay/comfort advice?
Don't squeeze them so tight.

Bhodi posted:

I like vox, it's got a solid core of game that just needs a few tweaks. And more content. Three game modes, all 8v8 and three zones with make for gameplay that's going to get stale in a hurry.
There's also 5v5v5 and 4v4v4v4. Definitely needs more game modes and maps, though. In particular, all current game modes suffer from being little more than random chaos.

Bhodi posted:

Walking speed definitely needs to be adjusted, even the lightest mech just doesn't go anywhere. There isn't a ton of place for lighter mechs because there's no way to run over land and you easily get shot out of the sky.
Use jump jets if you want to get somewhere. If you're getting shot out of the air it's because you're flying way too close to the enemy. The heavy options are easily the worst; mobility is king with these relatively short TTKs. Make use of cover and relocate after being spotted and you'll be wiping the floor with heavies all day long.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Does anyone know how to use the arm-claws on the Hopper? The game's website implies that they can be used on enemies when you get in close.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

AgentF posted:

Does anyone know how to use the arm-claws on the Hopper? The game's website implies that they can be used on enemies when you get in close.
The only working melee weapon is the Drill, which is mostly just a humiliation weapon, given how difficult it is to land on top of a moving target. Unless you count smashing your face into things with the goldrush as a melee weapon.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Starts at 1m30s and awful audio quality but it's the only video I've seen of this so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1oLe4KFGRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a452kAc83n8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNg7nM9aY2o

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 1, 2018

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Ralith posted:

Unless you count smashing your face into things with the goldrush as a melee weapon.
That's why you have the cowcatcher and the freight train airborne isn't it?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yeah, I totally count that as a melee weapon. I've killed a good number of robots and gotten away unscathed or lightly damaged, and I've used it as a last hurrah kill when I'm already critically injured. It's even great when you miss because then you're behind the enemy and can rake their back with weaponry. Probably my favourite and most deadly robot at this point.

The Vox Machinae website does say about Hoppers "Light grinder that likes to get airborne and hack away at enemies with those rock-breaking hooks!". I don't know if it does damage from simply being up against enemies or if this is planned functionality that just isn't implemented yet.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PSA for vr people who don't unplug their headset: if you're trying to get forza horizon 4 working but it crashes before even loading the game, unplug your headset.

Goddamn I wish Microsoft would push it's first party developers to integrate wmr, forza horizon in vr is my dream game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The PSVR is a pretty nice piece of kit for something that's basically a frankensteined accessory for the PS4. Rez Infinite is amazing in VR, and now I wish that Child of Eden wasn't an X360 exclusive so that might get the same remastering treatment :sigh:.

I just wish it didn't have the PS3 beep when it turns on. I have... feelings about that beep after so, so many accidental button presses on my PS3's media remote.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PSVR is a pretty nice piece of kit for something that's basically a frankensteined accessory for the PS4. Rez Infinite is amazing in VR, and now I wish that Child of Eden wasn't an X360 exclusive so that might get the same remastering treatment :sigh:.

I just wish it didn't have the PS3 beep when it turns on. I have... feelings about that beep after so, so many accidental button presses on my PS3's media remote.

Child of Eden was definitely on ps3 and supported PS move. Not sure it has the cultural cache of Rez to get a remaster though

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenny Agutter posted:

PSA for vr people who don't unplug their headset: if you're trying to get forza horizon 4 working but it crashes before even loading the game, unplug your headset.

Goddamn I wish Microsoft would push it's first party developers to integrate wmr, forza horizon in vr is my dream game

This but for Dakar Rally 18 for me. I think it's the first racing game I've ever actually gotten lost in.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It’s the best entry level VR headset, it looks pretty good too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jenny Agutter posted:

Child of Eden was definitely on ps3 and supported PS move. Not sure it has the cultural cache of Rez to get a remaster though

I must've been thinking of the whole Kinect control scheme thing or something.

Now i just want it even more :sigh:.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I posted those videos, I'll be posting some more shortly. I have a bunch of audio-only recordings I need to cook up in Vegas to make videos out of. If anyone appreciates the videos please grab a key from the description and try out my Oculus Go/Gear VR game and give feedback/a rating. Without feedback my game won't be allowed in the store.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stick100 posted:

I posted those videos, I'll be posting some more shortly. I have a bunch of audio-only recordings I need to cook up in Vegas to make videos out of. If anyone appreciates the videos please grab a key from the description and try out my Oculus Go/Gear VR game and give feedback/a rating. Without feedback my game won't be allowed in the store.

Do you want legit feedback in the store, or just a glowing rating, and real feedback here? :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POqSm76DMZU

Wiggle the fireworks so they don't explode all in the same spots

When it says "Single" or "Home Run" I like that you made it render on the board, you might want to push that further and have it be like made up of individual bulbs and animate it a bit more, like strobing colors or something if that makes sense. Like I can see that you made the board have the spots that make it look like it's made up of bulbs, but then you just put text on it. Try to play that skeuomorphic design up.

Get some higher res textures on the dirt, grass, and home plate. The further out stuff looks good

I obviously haven't played it but those are all the "amateur" things that stick out to me that turn me off completely without even loading it up

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Do you want legit feedback in the store, or just a glowing rating, and real feedback here? :v:

Any feedback anywhere, but probably the best would be legit feedback in the store. I've been told that Oculus doesn't take you seriously (or apparently even interact with your app/game) unless you had previously built a consensus within Oculus before submitting your application. Since I didn't know (and didn't do so) I'm stuck in "Keys Only" and can't sell the game. By my analytics, it appears that they "reviewed" my app in less than 30 seconds and have given it the kiss of death without giving me any feedback.

At OC5 I met a couple of dozen other developers that had the same thing happen and apparently there is no path out. Unless the store team likes your product or you have a sponsor before you submit you cannot get your product in the store regardless of quality. Likely I was the developer Carmack talked about where I tweeted him because I was so confused that I seemed permanently locked out of the store without feedback.

EDIT: Also if anyone is considering developing for the Quest DONT! Specifically, in the keynote Carmack said they are looking for "premium" experiences, this means that anyone who does indie development for the Quest will not be approved pretty much no matter what. It's sad because I had actually planned on pivoting to Quest development as soon as I could and had already started working on a Quest game.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 1, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ok, if you want glowing rating in the store, just say so, i'm happy to do it, but I wanted to provide some real feedback here after playing it.

- Recentering not working, not with the oculus button or anything in game I could find. Made it awkward to have to keep turning in real life, and wouldn't have been able to keep playing if i was sitting down without quitting and restarting.
- Theres a heavy amount of aliasing. I know every time I hear carmack talk about this stuff he's always saying you should have 2xMSAA, I wasn't sure if you have any AA on? The beams and stuff in the distance just had a lot of jaggies.
- The announcer voice, well, computer voice, was just way too mellow for a sports game. It might not be feasible to hire someone, but maybe theres a goon in those VA threads that would work for cheap and could record you a few "Home run!!!" "out!" things that sound like a baseball announcer.
- More fanfare or sound for a homerun, maybe the organ sounds of that 'charge' thing, and the fireworks as well should have some crackle and pop to them.
- Some music on the title screen, i don't know the licensing of that stuff, but if "take me out to the ball game" is in the public domain you should have a recording of that or something there.
- The font seems a bit generic Unity, but eh, thats a low priority
- The stands look too empty, maybe you could fake some people in them with some sprites or a vertical texture or something.
- The sky was a bit too bland. Add some skybox with clouds up there, would really help it pop more. In a perfect world I'd say a day/night randomization would be cool, with the lights turning on at night.
- The catching animation has no oomph to it. it doesn't move and the ball stays floating in air, and the sound effect isn't very satisfying. Maybe a more impactful catching sound, the glove animating, moving back and closing a little and the ball not floating in air?
- Feels like for the catching game there should also maybe be a batter in front of you, taking swings, or at least standing there to give it a little more colour.
- Background for umpire sim instructions has some default Unity looking texture that has a grid spaced out in meters. also arranged odd, one if front the other to the side
- The ball speed and correct sign are on plain boxes with the same Unity texture, maybe put them up on the score board? Its already there and taking up all that space.
- Like with catching, the player should swing at some balls, or at least be in a stance with a bat and not just standing there.
- Pressing the back button while in baseball game mode brings up the home screen and "quit" dialog box. no way to go back to the main menu.
- I feel like there should be players for enemy team on base, outfield, and catcher behind you. looks too empty for a full baseball game mode.
- Feels like you should have a pitching minigame as well, and be able to pitch against the AI during baseball mode instead of them just scoring random points. Use the touchpad to select fastball, curveball, etc, hold trigger swing and release trigger to throw, that sort of thing.
- A Pitching mode would be a better fir than the shooting game mode as well.
- Shooting game mode should at least have some item in your hand other than the go controller.

One of the more noticeable things though it seems to have a weird point of view, its like you're a 3rd person controlling the batter since you're so far away. I feel like the bat should be lining up with the go controller so its much more like you're standing right at the plate and the bat is in your hand.

Thats about all the nitpicking stuff I could find at least, and I know its probably not practical to do some stuff, especially if it costs more money than its worth to you (like voice actor to sound like baseball announcer), but some stuff like, the grid unity textures sitting there should be things theres not really an issue fixing.

Anyways, I hope this is of some help to you.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
That reminds me, have they said anything yet about the sideloading situation on the Quest? A shop that's only premium experiences is a lot more attractive if the sideloading works like Android than if it works like iOS.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any chance of using the Go or Quest headset like a Rift and connecting it to my PC somehow to play a flight/racing sim? Like a hack or a cable or anything?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Is there any chance of using the Go or Quest headset like a Rift and connecting it to my PC somehow to play a flight/racing sim? Like a hack or a cable or anything?

If sideloading is possible there will be apps to do it wirelessly - and badly - same as there currently are on the GearVR or the Go. There's not likely to be a wired solution.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

To be a little more helpful, Stick, I took a screenshot of what I was talking about with the unity texture and boxes for the umpire game:

NRVNQSR posted:

That reminds me, have they said anything yet about the sideloading situation on the Quest? A shop that's only premium experiences is a lot more attractive if the sideloading works like Android than if it works like iOS.

The product manager confirmed in an interview that it would be the same as Go. IE plug it in, access the android file system like normal, put it into dev mode and use ADB to install software to it not from the store.

Taintrunner posted:

Look up "ALVR" it lets you connect a Go to windows and be recognized as a steamVR headset. This apparently works ok for the Go/gearVR, but how well it will work with the quest and full 6DoF... I dunno. The lag might be too great in that case, but people will definitely try it, so we'll probably find out a day after its release.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, that's a bummer. I couldn't see myself using a standalone headset. The H3VR dev says the Quest won't be powerful enough for his game, and something with that level of detail or a solid racing sim like Dirt Rally wouldn't work with it. I like using my headset for that more than anything else, honestly.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

The product manager confirmed in an interview that it would be the same as Go. IE plug it in, access the android file system like normal, put it into dev mode and use ADB to install software to it not from the store.

Did Go remove the requirement for every APK to be signed with a device-specific key, then? Not that that was a real barrier, but since it required an oculus dev account and messing around with weird command line tools it made GearVR sideloading unreasonable for the average user.

It would be nice if we see some kind of "alternative store" from itch.io or someone like that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

NRVNQSR posted:

Did Go remove the requirement for every APK to be signed with a device-specific key, then? Not that that was a real barrier, but since it required an oculus dev account and messing around with weird command line tools it made GearVR sideloading unreasonable for the average user.

It would be nice if we see some kind of "alternative store" from itch.io or someone like that.

I couldn't say, I've only sideloaded minecraft, and a few emulators people have made for go to it. I don't know if there was shenanigans involved in making any of that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I couldn't say, I've only sideloaded minecraft, and a few emulators people have made for go to it. I don't know if there was shenanigans involved in making any of that.

If you didn't need to do any shenanigans yourself then that means it works sensibly; if it still worked the way it did back in the early GearVR days you would have needed to do a bunch of messing around to make it work on your specific device. Thanks for the info!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

AFAID If you have an Oculus developer account then yes you can get around osigs for Go/Quest.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

- Theres a heavy amount of aliasing. I know every time I hear carmack talk about this stuff he's always saying you should have 2xMSAA, I wasn't sure if you have any AA on? The beams and stuff in the distance just had a lot of jaggies.

Thanks for the feedback. It's so strange because I'm using the Oculus Camera, it's set to 4xMSAA, the Unity Quality settings are at 4xMSAA and even the ADB Log says it's currently in 4xMSAA. I haven't been able to figure out why it still appears without AA. Maybe this is why I got rejected in 30 seconds from the store review, I guess I should keep trying to get that nailed down.

Since the store has flat out permanently rejected me I'm kind of inclined to just redo it for 6Dof and release on Steam/Viveport and write off developing for Oculus forever. This was a sentiment shared by the many dozens of developers I talked with at OC5. If you are considering developing for Oculus, beware.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

If you didn't need to do any shenanigans yourself then that means it works sensibly; if it still worked the way it did back in the early GearVR days you would have needed to do a bunch of messing around to make it work on your specific device. Thanks for the info!

To my recollection, OSIGs are still required for Gear but not Go/Quest.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Stick100 posted:

Thanks for the feedback. It's so strange because I'm using the Oculus Camera, it's set to 4xMSAA, the Unity Quality settings are at 4xMSAA and even the ADB Log says it's currently in 4xMSAA. I haven't been able to figure out why it still appears without AA. Maybe this is why I got rejected in 30 seconds from the store review, I guess I should keep trying to get that nailed down.

Sorry, wish I could be more help but I don't know anything about programming to even suggest anything on technical details. All I could really critique and give an opinion on is the broader gameplay and visuals aspect.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Sorry, wish I could be more help but I don't know anything about programming to even suggest anything on technical details. All I could really critique and give an opinion on is the broader gameplay and visuals aspect.

Oh, no don't feel that way I really appreciate the feedback. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Bit late to the party, but my GOD Creed is a good game and one hell of a workout. If you were on the fence, it's worth picking up for the $29.99 price tag.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
For non-game development of clean lo-fi visuals a few steps above Korix on PSVR, what's the minimum to look for in performance of CPU and GPU or APU? Aiming for a Ryzen laptop, going UE4 due to UE1+ experience or learning myself some Unity.

Also, what are the WMR headsets with the PSVR-like forehead solutions like? My face/head/skin is too sensitive to the pressure from the ordinary facehugger style and even five minutes in a Go has me past my limit. It's overpriced over here anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Spent most of my day trying to figure out why my CH HOTAS setup (Fighterstick + Pro Throttle + Pro Pedals) suddenly stopped working in Elite:Dangerous. I wasn't able to load my custom .bind file and the error log showed it couldn't find my devices at the previous GUID's. After much hair pulling and cursing, a post on the Steam forums mentioned the "Generic Controller" option when enabled can gently caress up your existing joysticks. Once that was unchecked and CH Control Center reinstalled, everything started working fine.

Took my Python out for a re-positioning run and the difference between the Vive and Lenovo Explorer is pretty significant. With the Explorer, I didn't have to edit any display settings, change colors, etc. to see text/items clearly. Not sure if it's the lenses or the higher resolution panels, but things were defiently much clearer. That being said, holy poo poo is this thing uncomfortable when compared to a Vive w/DAS. Even with the pads swtiched around, I still could wear it for only 10-20 minutes at a time (compared to hours with the Vive). Also the image did seem a little bit washed out.

Also fired up XP11 and did a little flying. Again, it's much easier/clearer to see the instruments, labels, etc. with the Explorer. There was some general weirdness though with using the WMR minus the motion controllers. For instance, the VR main screen, you're towering over it. Also any airplane that you load into you have to recenter the view as it starts you really high up in the seat.

So yeah, if you want to add VR to your existing simpit you really can't go wrong with a WMR headset. Especially when you can get them without motion controllers in the $100 range. Now if you do have the money, go ahead and get a Vive or Rift.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 2, 2018