Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Rocksicles posted:

Marc Evan Jackson has got such a magnificent voice for everything
You got that right, sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have in my time dated Seans, Shawns, and Shuans, and they're all just terrible people.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

bull3964 posted:

If you want hours and hours more of MEJ, listen to all the back episodes of Sparks Nevada on (now ended) The Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast.

Echoing this. Sparks Nevada starts off hilarious and somehow only gets funnier and funnier with every episode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm more of a Beyond Belief type of person but Sparks Nevada is deff. my second favorite segment.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

The_Doctor posted:

Holt’s a lucky guy.

That sweet half smile he gave to Holt when the squad made them that romantic dinner made me melt.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why isn't Marc vs Mark such a hot button issue? Or Steven vs Stephen? (Stephen should be pronounced steffin, so it's wrong.)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

angerbeet posted:

I have in my time dated Seans, Shawns, and Shuans, and they're all just terrible people.

So the Welsh Sion is proven superior?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I know it's useless to speculate with a show such as this but:

1) Michael in season 1 was in rebellion against the traditional way of torturing people
2) Michael season 2 to today is in rebellion against the means of judging people
3) Michael may still be the literal devil.

What if this is all a revolt against Doug Forcett's will?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought the student in Simone’s office was Doug Forcett for a moment when we first saw him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I thought the student in Simone’s office was Doug Forcett for a moment when we first saw him.

Doug Forcett would be like 65-70 by now

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

One thing I did like was that outside the influence of the fake Good Place is how much nicer they are to each other.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Also, regarding someone from the group potentially finding out about the experiment, I wonder if they just also happened to have Simone mention that the MRI could examine the part of the brain that governs memory.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I had a brief moment where I was like "Is Simone going to be revealed to be a demon? She's so nice and goofy and basically acts a lot like the demons pretending to be Good People in season one. Is this the season 3 big surprise?????" But then I was like "No, that doesn't make sense. She was hanging out with Chidi before the Bad Place got access to the Judge's systems, so presumably she has to be a normal human."

But THEN I was like "There's nothing that inherently says that the supernatural being have to follow linear time. After all, several hundred years took place in the 800ish reboots and Michael was still able to go back to the moment of their deaths. The Bad Place could have found out about the setup and then gone back further in time to really gently caress with them."

I hope Simone is human and just a goofy nice person, but I'm going to keep an eye out...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I had a brief moment where I was like "Is Simone going to be revealed to be a demon? She's so nice and goofy and basically acts a lot like the demons pretending to be Good People in season one. Is this the season 3 big surprise?????" But then I was like "No, that doesn't make sense. She was hanging out with Chidi before the Bad Place got access to the Judge's systems, so presumably she has to be a normal human."

But THEN I was like "There's nothing that inherently says that the supernatural being have to follow linear time. After all, several hundred years took place in the 800ish reboots and Michael was still able to go back to the moment of their deaths. The Bad Place could have found out about the setup and then gone back further in time to really gently caress with them."

I hope Simone is human and just a goofy nice person, but I'm going to keep an eye out...

Michael was able to instantly notice Trevor's presence via the ticker tape, so I'd think it would be hard for the bad place to slip that one by him

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Michael was able to instantly notice Trevor's presence via the ticker tape, so I'd think it would be hard for the bad place to slip that one by him

Well, he knows Trevor.

This show is really smartly written. I could easily see a scenario where Shawn goes "Michael dealt with Trevor too easily. Send someone further back, and make sure it's a demon Michael's never met."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m trying to think of other (particularly, network) comedies where the premise of the show gets constantly rewritten between seasons. Using Chapters makes so much sense for this show, as it really is a story rather than ‘these bunch of friends do wacky things for 22m then everything resets for next week’.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bobulus posted:

Well, he knows Trevor.

This show is really smartly written. I could easily see a scenario where Shawn goes "Michael dealt with Trevor too easily. Send someone further back, and make sure it's a demon Michael's never met."

Or he noticed because up until the Trevor had just been setting things up. We don't know how the ticker works, if it only pays attention to the person it wouldn't register Trevor until he met them. He could have done any number of things to set up the environment if that's the case.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bull3964 posted:

If you want hours and hours more of MEJ, listen to all the back episodes of Sparks Nevada on (now ended) The Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast.

On the topic of MEJ/The Thrilling Adventure Hour, this popped up in my podcatcher:

https://shows.pippa.io/thrilling-adventure-hour/tah-returns-a-word-from-acker-blacker

quote:

Ben Acker & Ben Blacker, co-creators and writers of The Thrilling Adventure Hour, are dropping into the feed for a very special announcement... THE THRILLING ADVENTURE HOUR IS RETURNING TO YOUR PODCAST AIRWAVES!

Starting Monday October 29th 2018, The Thrilling Adventure Hour will be releasing 2 New Episodes per Month! A Brand New In-Studio episode, produced by the Forever Dog Podcast Network and featuring a mix of classic characters and new characters, canonical segments and expanded universe segments, original cast members as well as new cast members and new writers, plus lots of surprises! And a Hidden Gem from the Vault, something presumed lost, something obscure, something never before released to the podcast listening public!

In order to support this endeavor, we've started a Thrilling Adventure Hour Patreon, where subscribers (that's you) can get access to the full TAH back catalog, merchandise discounts, complete libraries of classic segments, oddities, rarities, and more for only $5/month! All funds generated by your generous contributions will be used to cover the costs of the new episodes and to ensure that the cast, writers, producers, and engineers are compensated fairly: https://www.patreon.com/thrillingadventurehour

Please tell everyone you know to subscribe to The Thrilling Adventure Hour on Apple Podcasts or their favorite podcast app for Brand New Episodes and Hidden Gems from the Vault starting Mon October 29th 2018!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

seaborgium posted:

We don't know how the ticker works…

From the season 2 gag reel, we know it may or may not say the word "queef" on it sometimes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

double nine posted:

On the topic of MEJ/The Thrilling Adventure Hour, this popped up in my podcatcher:

https://shows.pippa.io/thrilling-adventure-hour/tah-returns-a-word-from-acker-blacker

Yup, just heard that this morning while I was driving into work. Very happy about this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, the Paul F Tompkins Whimsy Hour.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
My favorite little joke was after Tahani was saved someone says “Kamila did it” and she’s like “no it was a man” and you hear Ted Danson shout “no Kamila did it!”

Also from a rec in the last thread we finally started Brooklyn 99 and I love it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

esperterra posted:

100% more invested in Chidi and Simone than I was Eleanor and Chidi after one episode lol, they just go so well together. I hope it doesn't go love triangle-y and they go another route if/when Eleanor and Chidi hook up again.

But now she's free to bed Tahani clearly !!!

Yes and YES.

I'm actually kind of surprised the narrative beat there wasn't Tahani accepting Eleanor's invitation because living with her would be the less materialistic option and she's trying to get back on track. But that might have just been wishful, gay thinking on my part.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think the Jacksonville jokes will ever get stale

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Yes and YES.

I'm actually kind of surprised the narrative beat there wasn't Tahani accepting Eleanor's invitation because living with her would be the less materialistic option and she's trying to get back on track. But that might have just been wishful, gay thinking on my part.

I expected the reverse -- that as an act of charity she'd invite Eleanor out of the motel so that she could be "good" but still not actually give anything up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think the Jacksonville jokes will ever get stale

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Thanks for reminding me that I gotta get the S3 Blu-ray this week

And thanks for reminding me of a great show which was canceled :(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aerox posted:

I expected the reverse -- that as an act of charity she'd invite Eleanor out of the motel so that she could be "good" but still not actually give anything up.

Either option could still happen, assuming we're sticking around in Australia for a while and they don't whisk us off to the next thing this week lol

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

hanales posted:

My favorite little joke was after Tahani was saved someone says “Kamila did it” and she’s like “no it was a man” and you hear Ted Danson shout “no Kamila did it!”
I was so enamored with the glimpse I got of Ted Danson's awesome ponytail I didn't even realize it was him shouting that!

The part I loved about that was that Kamala just accepted all the praise like she really did save Tahani. I'm really hoping we see her in the afterlife at some point because I don't know if it'd be funnier if she wound up in the Good Place or the Bad Place.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I just learned that Kristen Bell is a big supporter of No Kid Hungry! This is a really good charity in the US with the goal of ending childhood hunger. Every dollar donated gets 10 meals to kids.

She must be getting her co-workers excited about it too, because I learned about this from someone telling me that Marc Evan Jackson liked an online post about an event for it we had here recently :)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was so enamored with the glimpse I got of Ted Danson's awesome ponytail I didn't even realize it was him shouting that!

The part I loved about that was that Kamala just accepted all the praise like she really did save Tahani. I'm really hoping we see her in the afterlife at some point because I don't know if it'd be funnier if she wound up in the Good Place or the Bad Place.

She actually ends up becoming a new Universal Judge, Kamala can only go up, never down.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Many of the criteria seem to be on the impact your actions had on other people rather than your intent. See Chidi going to the Bad Place despite always trying to do good and Mindy getting a buttload of good points for the good her foundation did after she died.

I can totally see Kamala going to the Good Place by the rules they use.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Senor Tron posted:

Many of the criteria seem to be on the impact your actions had on other people rather than your intent. See Chidi going to the Bad Place despite always trying to do good and Mindy getting a buttload of good points for the good her foundation did after she died.

I can totally see Kamala going to the Good Place by the rules they use.

Chidi wasn't trying to be good, he was trying to be right. Also, Tahani did raised billions of dollars. She was no slouch in her own right in terms of fundraising, but as she put it, her motivations were corrupt, so it didn't count. It's definitely about why you do things, not what those actions resulted in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kamila ends up in the Medium Place, because she should ideally go to the Bad Place but she's so charismatic that they argued to lighten her sentence.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kamila ends up in the Medium Place, because she should ideally go to the Bad Place but she's so charismatic that they argued to lighten her sentence.

This would be interesting, because I feel like it would be more hellish than Hell for her. (Which would presumably leave Michael feeling weirdly vindicated.)

At least in the Bad Place, there's demons and other bad people to pay attention to you. In the Medium Place it's just you. Alone with your thoughts and all the low-quality caviar you could ever want. Forever.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MaxieSatan posted:

This would be interesting, because I feel like it would be more hellish than Hell for her. (Which would presumably leave Michael feeling weirdly vindicated.)

At least in the Bad Place, there's demons and other bad people to pay attention to you. In the Medium Place it's just you. Alone with your thoughts and all the low-quality caviar you could ever want. Forever.

For her it would be all of her achievements but after people got sick of her. Constantly reminded that people used to like her. Just low grade fame.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Kamila ends up in the Bad Place, and is one of the easiest people they've ever had to torture. They just put her in a fake Good Place where everyone thinks she's Tahani. :unsmigghh:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Kamila goes to the Bad Place but much to Tahani's chagrin all the demons there adore her too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Kamila ends up in the Bad Place, and is one of the easiest people they've ever had to torture. They just put her in a fake Good Place where everyone thinks she's Tahani. :unsmigghh:

Argue posted:

Kamila goes to the Bad Place but much to Tahani's chagrin all the demons there adore her too.

I don't know which of these I'd like better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I do really think Kamila will have a bigger role down the line, but mostly because they cast an actress that had a pretty big role in her last sitcom. It was “Outsourced” but it still counts.