Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

West Virginia poverty gets worse under Trump economy, not better

West Virginia's poverty rate climbed to 19.1 percent last year from 17.9 percent, making it just one of four states with a poverty rate above 18 percent.

The president has said he's "very proud" of the state and claimed that he "turned West Virginia around."

Mr. Trump has boasted about the state's GDP growth, but its economy grew by 1.3 percent in the first quarter, or 37th in the nation and lagging the national rate of 1.8 percent, according to government data.

Jobs in low-wage industries have grown 14.5 percent since 2001 in West Virginia, compared with a decline of 2.8 percent in jobs that pay higher wages during the same time, according to the WVCBP's figures.

"It's cashiers, retail sales people, service employees -- those are our fastest growing jobs, but those jobs don't pay very well," O'Leary notes.

The top industry in WV is government? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

The top industry in WV is government? :thunk:

that's the case in a lot of states, whenever you see lists of "biggest employers" they're always coyly modified to not include public or government jobs, because if you reveal that the top 3 employers in your state are all government or public jobs, you risk people asking what it means for all government and public jobs to be destroyed

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Epic High Five posted:

that's the case in a lot of states, whenever you see lists of "biggest employers" they're always coyly modified to not include public or government jobs, because if you reveal that the top 3 employers in your state are all government or public jobs, you risk people asking what it means for all government and public jobs to be destroyed
Every time I look up some middle-of-nowhere city or county in Wikipedia, the "Economy" section always has government entities as the biggest employers. School district, VA hospital, military base, state college...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FMguru posted:

Every time I look up some middle-of-nowhere city or county in Wikipedia, the "Economy" section always has government entities as the biggest employers. School district, VA hospital, military base, state college...

above median pay and way better benefits too lol, the private sector is a huge scam

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Potato Salad posted:

jobs jobs jobs

i actually love the JOBS JOBS JOBS poo poo because now everyone is thinking "hey, we have jobs now, but the jobs loving suck???"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Lots of places especially in the rust belt would have any sort of jobs if it wasn't for public sector spending especially for college towns.

It's also why for these towns the next college football game is the most exciting entertainment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

the private sector is a huge scam

i'm in slovenia and someone ran the numbers a few years ago and the GDP of the public sector, where about 12% of the population is employed, was more than 50% of the country's GDP. in the last 25 years of neolibs in charge, public sector is actually worse off in wages and resources than the private one. with lower wages, shittier resources in general and workers in particular, they're more beneficial to the economy than the private sector lol

sure, this was still in the depression for us (2013-14), but also a pretty big portion of the public sector is just a straight up resource sink needed to keep the society functioning smoothly, so double lol :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Truga posted:

i'm in slovenia and someone ran the numbers a few years ago and the GDP of the public sector, where about 12% of the population is employed, was more than 50% of the country's GDP. in the last 25 years of neolibs in charge, public sector is actually worse off in wages and resources than the private one. with lower wages, shittier resources in general and workers in particular, they're more beneficial to the economy than the private sector lol

sure, this was still in the depression for us (2013-14), but also a pretty big portion of the public sector is just a straight up resource sink needed to keep the society functioning smoothly, so double lol :v:

you should probably load all the neolibs into cannons and then fire them

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Truga posted:

i'm in slovenia

thank u for sending us your best

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Shoulda voted for Zizek when he ran for prez that one time.

Shaffness
Jan 15, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

Shoulda voted for Zizek when he ran for prez that one time.

I agree, Slavoj Zizek is the man. Plus he inspired maybe the best thing on the internet, that Twitter parody account of him talking about NFL football.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/1046543162964156416

quote:

other dairy farmers in the area helped me understand why the Nunes family might be so secretive about the farm: Midwestern dairies tend to run on undocumented labor. The northwest-Iowa dairy community is small. Most of the farmers know one another, and most belong to a regional trade group called the Western Iowa Dairy Alliance (though WIDA told me NuStar is not a member). One dairy farmer said that the threat of raids from ICE is so acute that WIDA members have discussed forming a NATO-like pact that would treat a raid on one dairy as a raid on all of them. The other pact members would provide labor to the raided dairy until it got back on its feet.

What this person was describing was hard to wrap my head around. In the heart of Steve King’s district, a place that is more pro-Trump than almost any other patch of America, the economy is powered by workers that King and Trump have threatened to arrest and deport. I checked Anthony Nunes Jr.’s campaign-­donor history. The only federal candidate he has ever donated to, besides his son, is Steve King ($250 in 2012). He also gives to the local Republican party of Osceola County, which, records show, transfers money into King’s congressional campaigns.

The absurdity of this situation—funding and voting for politicians whose core promise is to implement immigration policies that would destroy their livelihoods—has led some of the Republican-­supporting dairymen to rethink their political priorities. “Everyone’s got this feeling that in agriculture, we, the employers, are going to be criminalized,” the first area dairy farmer I had spoken to said. “I’ve talked to Steve King face-to-face, and that guy doesn’t care one iota about us. He does not care. He believes that if you have one undocumented worker on your place, you should probably go to prison and we need to get as many undocumented people out of here as possible.” (A spokesman for King did not respond to multiple interview requests.) The second dairy farmer, speaking of Trump’s and King’s views on undocumented immigrants, added, “They want to send ’em all back to Mexico and have them start over. What a crock of malarkey. Who’s gonna milk the cows?”

Sibley is emblematic of a lot of small towns in Iowa that are dependent on an agricultural economy: They know they cannot survive without immigrants, and they have worked hard to integrate the foreign-born population, despite the legal limbo faced by employers and employees alike. When I asked what would happen if ICE turned its attention to Sibley, the mayor shuddered. Anderson noted that he has never seen an ICE agent in the four years he’s been at his job. He didn’t seem eager to get to know any. “If they come in town, then we have to talk about it, find out what’s going on, why, whether to participate, and make sure our town’s not disrupted,” he said. I asked him what he thought of King’s view that all undocumented immigrants should be deported. He paused and said, diplomatically, “He has a right to his opinion.”

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the idea of hiring americans or other employees they cant ruthlessly exploit of course does not even cross their minds

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I doubt I'd agree with Steve King on a lot of things, but yeah, these guys should definitely be in jail.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Trump farmers are top shelf self owners

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lock them up

award the farm to the workers as compensation

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Agean90 posted:

lock them up

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shear Modulus posted:

the idea of hiring americans or other employees they cant ruthlessly exploit of course does not even cross their minds

Americans aren't interested in many of the labor-intensive agricultural jobs. To hire them they would have to attract them by paying more, which means they would have to charge more and then their produce wouldn't be competitive, because everyone relies on nigh-slave labor.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

I helped build and renovate the Lantern that they speak of in this article. I worked there for 6 months to help my friends get it up and running. This article is absolutely amazing at explaining the blatant hypocrisy. I haven't been there in 6 years and I couldn't be happier.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Agean90 posted:

lock them up

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Flaggy posted:

I helped build and renovate the Lantern that they speak of in this article. I worked there for 6 months to help my friends get it up and running. This article is absolutely amazing at explaining the blatant hypocrisy. I haven't been there in 6 years and I couldn't be happier.

Is there any way to get ICE to target Nunes' and the other farmers' dairies, but not the workers? That would be ideal.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

red19fire posted:

Is there any way to get ICE to target Nunes' and the other farmers' dairies, but not the workers? That would be ideal.

You could certainly have different orders from the executive branch, ICE operates under the purview of the president. Ultimately though if they actually cracked down on the people running farms for hiring undocumented workers they'd quit hiring undocumented workers at some point, there's really no way to get around the current system that doesn't hurt the undocumented workers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

red19fire posted:

lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
we can't punish the JOB CREATORS you fools

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
it's fun to remind ppl who rant about illegal immigrants how the problem would be much easier to solve with tough enforcement on employers than cruelty to immigrants. but the GOP doesn't do that bc they don't really care and businesses love cheap exploitable labor

then if they agree we should crack down on employers tell them how agriculture melted down when they tried a law like that in alabama, so be prepared for food prices to skyrocket

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
imagine a country so dumb and racist that they won't abide brown ppl doing backbreaking agricultural labor for pennies on the dollar

jefferson davis is spinning in his grave

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

imagine a country so dumb and racist that they won't abide brown ppl doing backbreaking agricultural labor for pennies on the dollar

Small business owners whined about Trump's temp worker visas since they could no longer find foreigners to clean their B&B and hotels during peak tourist season.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

it's fun to remind ppl who rant about illegal immigrants how the problem would be much easier to solve with tough enforcement on employers than cruelty to immigrants. but the GOP doesn't do that bc they don't really care and businesses love cheap exploitable labor

then if they agree we should crack down on employers tell them how agriculture melted down when they tried a law like that in alabama, so be prepared for food prices to skyrocket

I'd legit be in favor of jailing all the exploiting landowners this as long as we upped EBT for people who'd otherwise get hosed by this.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Australia did that. There was a period early on where slavers would go around the pacific islands and buy or kidnap natives to work on the plantations, but after they began surviving a few years and forming communities the practice stopped because the idea of these people living in a white Australia was too sickening. I think a lot of them were ultimately deported to random islands, just to be safe.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

This is a crazy article. Thank you.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

https://twitter.com/nancyga43285053/status/1046952900424097793

https://twitter.com/robyn_burgett/status/1046874289230630912

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://twitter.com/nancyga43285053/status/1009944478180888577

https://twitter.com/nancyga43285053/status/1010996032862326785

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does that account name match the Russian bot naming pattern from last year?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that's twitter itself irrc. if the usrneme you type in is taken it suggests a unique name by just adding a bunch of numbers at the end (someone correct me if im wrong)

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Shear Modulus posted:

that's twitter itself irrc. if the usrneme you type in is taken it suggests a unique name by just adding a bunch of numbers at the end (someone correct me if im wrong)

which makes it very easy for bots to pick a name, you know, since twitter hasn't figured out what a captcha is yet

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
They remove about a number of bots equivalent to their dau every day

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/nancyga43285053/status/1043624848394739712?s=19

:siren::siren::siren: watch to the end
:siren::siren::siren:
https://twitter.com/nancyga43285053/status/1031730571234471936?s=19

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

What if ... You go to jail? :viggo:

Sir, I love America and want to Make America Great but can't find Americans who are willing to be paid like poo poo .

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

looks like her psych meds ran out
also i watched to end and nothing happened...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i really wish these people would get around to dying faster