Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone a few pages back said you could swipe on the home bar to switch between apps but I've tried it like 30 times and can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only on newer phones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Only on newer phones.

Yeah I have the Xs MAXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I must be doing it wrong.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I have the Xs MAXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I must be doing it wrong.

He's joking, works on the X as well. Put your finger right on the very bottom of the screen exactly on the white bar. Instead of swiping up, swipe purely right.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Something Offal posted:

He's joking, works on the X as well. Put your finger right on the very bottom of the screen exactly on the white bar. Instead of swiping up, swipe purely right.

Oh my god....

Yeah I was trying to swipe in the completely wrong place.

Thanks!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Appreciated. This is genius!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm old enough to remember Gizmodo getting blackballed for posting about the found / stolen iPhone 4 prototype.

Then bitched and moaned about getting blackballed because they bought a stolen prototype.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Appreciated. This is genius!

Hmm doesn’t seem to work with gifs

Edit: I guess you have to set it to ask and you can choose jpgs and gifs, test:

Nope

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 1, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hmm doesn’t seem to work with gifs

It's for photos, remove the Convert to JPG step if you want to upload GIFs and PNGs unmolested, but it will error out if you select a HEIC file.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Here this one only converts HEIC intelligently

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/6023fd8aa87e4285af437bc1ef66133b

Pivo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 1, 2018

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Testing image

E: great job!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MarcusSA posted:

Oh my god....

Yeah I was trying to swipe in the completely wrong place.

Thanks!

Also doesn't have to be on the bar, just in the lower edge of the display, much like a swipe gesture anywhere else on the screen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, I've been seeing an uptick of concern articles about "The Police can unlock your phone by pointing the front at your face!"

There are two ways around this. (this will work for both FaceID and TouchID)

The 1st is to simply power it off prior to surrounding the phone.

However, filthy criminal that your are, may not have enough time to do so (but it is pretty quick). The other option is to use the "rapidly press the side button 5 times". But make sure it's not set to auto-call emergency services first.

Go to Settings>Emergency SOS
Make sure "Auto Call" is OFF

Now when you 5-click the side button, it won't call but pop up this screen.

From here it doesn't matter if you power off or hit cancel or do nothing. Your phone can no longer be unlocked with either FaceID or TouchID until you enter your passcode.

Now it's possible LEO has access to a GrayKey device, but I've not heard how well it works on a passcode that's not a 4-6 digit PIN. Personally, I use a 16 character passphrase.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just slam your face against a hard surface until faceid doesn’t work.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Heya guys,

Just got my XS Max a few days ago and Face ID isn’t working super awesome for me yet. I’ve scanned my face a few times and added my face again as a second face but I’d say I have to put in my passcode 35% of the time. That doesn’t seem right.

I also noticed when I was playing with the memojis or whatever they are that the camera could barely track my face in a decently lit room. It was super stuttery and lost my tracking until my face was completely turned from side to side.

Does it sound like maybe my depth sensor camera is messed up to anyone else? Or something up there in the notch isn’t working right? Or there’s maybe a trick or two I could try?

So I reset, restored, tried a few things. Took it to the apple store. They had me try it in front of them and confirmed it was doing it, then they told me I was totally eligible for a swap with a new device. I was pretty pleased so the dude leaves for a minutes and comes back with another apple guy and they ask if I’d be willing to entertain them and diagnose a few things for them.

So they had me go in the back for a second and do it in a low light situation which was their storage closet I guess to see if it’s a camera or ir sensor issue? And just try a few different things with and without my glasses on in various light situations. Turns out it’s not easy to find a poorly lit area in an apple store. That shits bright as hell. But yeah after like ten minutes of posing and making faces at my phone I was walking out with a new phone and a $50 iTunes card for helping them out.

New phone seems to be working perfectly. So maybe like a super rare hardware issue in the new phones?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just slam your face against a hard surface until faceid doesn’t work.

If you're lucky the police will do this for you without even having to ask!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Could be just a run of the mill fabrication defect. They do happen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

If you're lucky the police will do this for you without even having to ask!

Especially in Chicago. You get a free Phone Book Facial Restructuring with every confession.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

So, I've been seeing an uptick of concern articles about "The Police can unlock your phone by pointing the front at your face!"

There are two ways around this. (this will work for both FaceID and TouchID)

The 1st is to simply power it off prior to surrounding the phone.

However, filthy criminal that your are, may not have enough time to do so (but it is pretty quick). The other option is to use the "rapidly press the side button 5 times". But make sure it's not set to auto-call emergency services first.

Holding up volume button and power button are much faster, it takes about a second and will require a PIN to unlock from that point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Holding up volume button and power button are much faster, it takes about a second and will require a PIN to unlock from that point.

Well, poo poo. I only knew that as the "screenshot combo". I didn't realize holding it a little longer did that.

Yeah, that works too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Possibly on certain models, doesn’t do anything on my 6. The rapid tap power does though.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Feel like I'm going crazy here.

Does anyone else notice stuttering video on the XS Max?

We are talking like a noticeable, but nearly imperceptible stutter. The kind where a lot of people wouldn't even notice, but it ruins your day once you notice it.

When the phone first came out last week, Youtube and Netflix both had the issue. Later on, Youtube updated their app and it's completely gone.

But Netflix is still loving doing it! Does anyone understand what I'm talking about here? It is ruining my life. Netflix 4K HDR is so goddamn beautiful on this thing, but I can't even watch the videos because the stuttering is so annoying.

Really hoping there is some fix :|

e: If you're thinking about trying to see this bug, check out, for example, the beginning of the first episode of the new season of Chef's Table (season 5). But it happens all over the place.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 2, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone think of a reason my wife’s new XS Max would have restored (from iCloud backup) only the last 550 photos (only bank about a month...)
It’s been more than a week she’s had the new phone.

And is there any way to prompt it to get the rest of them somehow?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iCloud Photos enabled?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Apparently people are now saying that Apple’s default front camera skin smoothing and white balance is because of noise reduction and it is not a poorly done beauty filter. I don’t understand why that would be the case when it only happens when it recognizes a face and I know that people probably don’t know what someone means by noise reduction but this is obviously a beauty filter. I mean I could be wrong but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it’s a duck.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

rio posted:

Apparently people are now saying that Apple’s default front camera skin smoothing and white balance is because of noise reduction and it is not a poorly done beauty filter.
Why would you ever listen to people?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

iCloud Photos enabled?

I think so. I mean it loaded up a bunch, just not nearly all. 500 instead of fhousands.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rio posted:

Apparently people are now saying that Apple’s default front camera skin smoothing and white balance is because of noise reduction and it is not a poorly done beauty filter. I don’t understand why that would be the case when it only happens when it recognizes a face and I know that people probably don’t know what someone means by noise reduction but this is obviously a beauty filter. I mean I could be wrong but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it’s a duck.

The behavior has been demonstrated with several types of photos. Noise reduction is smoothing, it's a fancy blur filter.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Do all the photo demonstrations involve disgusting close-ups of Redditors' acne and pube beards?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Do all the photo demonstrations involve disgusting close-ups of Redditors' acne and pube beards?

That is representative of 75% of iPhone photos so, yes.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Feenix posted:

I think so. I mean it loaded up a bunch, just not nearly all. 500 instead of fhousands.

Does your wife have enough iCloud storage? Is it a recent backup?

Photos also get saved in normal backups even when iCloud photos is turned off.

Anyway I had the same problem once. I restored an iCloud backup but not all photos were in it. Some were corrupted too. That was back with the iPhone 6s though I remember there being an iCloud backup bug that got fixed soon after. Since then I always make an encrypted backup with iTunes whenever I change phones and do iCloud backups the rest of the time. Oh and I turned on iCloud photos so they get saved separately from the backups and it’s pretty handy for my iPad since all the photos I take on the iPhone show up there too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

The behavior has been demonstrated with several types of photos. Noise reduction is smoothing, it's a fancy blur filter.

Yes but the inference is that they aren’t intending to apply a beauty filter and that it was a problem with how they are applying noise reduction. Just the fact that it only does it when it detects a face seems to contradict that.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

American McGay posted:

I'm old enough to remember Gizmodo getting blackballed for posting about the found / stolen iPhone 4 prototype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4

This is how I feel about all the various "gates" that effect our phones.

According to the internet i'm supposed to be worried about good looking selfies.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

You guys put screen protectors on? Searching amazon just gives like 10 companies selling what I can only imagine is the exact same thing at randomly different prices. This is for the xs max, if it matters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rio posted:

Yes but the inference is that they aren’t intending to apply a beauty filter and that it was a problem with how they are applying noise reduction. Just the fact that it only does it when it detects a face seems to contradict that.

Yeah, I'm not buying it.

There was an article in my news feed where they tested it using three different people in multiple lighting and environmental scenarios and it applied it without fail, and seemingly only to faces. It sounds like a smoothing algorithm that's gone rogue. It seems like it could be a neat feature, if you could actually turn it on and off and adjust how aggressive it is.

Kiranamos posted:

You guys put screen protectors on? Searching amazon just gives like 10 companies selling what I can only imagine is the exact same thing at randomly different prices. This is for the xs max, if it matters.

Nope. Never saw the point. In fact, the only reason I really use a case is because the phone is too drat slippery.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm not seeing any evidence that it selectively applies it to faces? I read the blog post by the Halide dev and I much rather trust an established dev that deals with the camera at a low level than teens and tweens posting selfies to insta and making snap judgements.

The noisiness of the RAWs plus the clear evidence of strong noise filtering on the front-facing camera is enough to convince me that, yeah, iPhone XS likes fast shutter speeds -> high noise on the front facing camera -> stronger noise reduction -> smoother output.

https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xs-why-its-a-whole-new-camera-ddf9780d714c

Pivo fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 2, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pivo posted:

I'm not seeing any evidence that it selectively applies it to faces? I read the blog post by the Halide dev and I much rather trust an established dev that deals with the camera at a low level than teens and tweens posting selfies to insta and making snap judgements.

The noisiness of the RAWs plus the clear evidence of strong noise filtering on the front-facing camera is enough to convince me that, yeah, iPhone XS likes fast shutter speeds -> high noise on the front facing camera -> stronger noise reduction -> smoother output.

https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xs-why-its-a-whole-new-camera-ddf9780d714c

In that Unbox Therapy video that’s going around he showed that when he covered his eyes with his hand, making the facial recognition turn off, the effect would turn off. I’ve dealt with image stacking and never got results that somehow coincidentally looked like a beauty filter.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The front camera on my LG V20 has a beauty filter that can't be disabled, only reduced. I don't know first-hand if Samsung phones have the same feature but I bet they do. Pretty sure Snapchat etc. have beauty filters that can't be disabled.

My guess is that Apple has some research that showed people like Android phone selfies better because of the beauty filter and added one. It's strange that they didn't announce it as a feature, but the fact that it can't be disabled is very Apple and also consistent with what Android OEMs do.

In any phone, using a third party camera app will allow selfies to be taken without the filter. If Apple ever addresses the beauty filter, I bet that their "solution" will be "use Camera+".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m still debating whether I care or not but has anyone returned an XS successfully to the Apple Store on the basis if low light hardcore banding when the screen is dimmed on a dark screen?

I have young kids who end up sleeping next to me in bed and I do a lot of dimmed nighttime bed reading. So it’s something I see a lot. It’s basically the entire right half of my screen on the Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're unhappy with the product they sold you, take it to the store and demand a fix. You paid a bunch of money for a flagship product so it's not unreasonable to want a perfect copy.