Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Moonclan look ace. First warband I've felt like picking up for aesthetics alone (I was almost tempted by the skellies but I have a ton of other undead already).

The only one I don't like is the Fanatic, I feel they could have had a better pose without him standing on the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
About the Nightvault core set. The Nighthaunt figures are stupidly flimsy, one of mine was broken out of the box, and 3 guys broke theirs when they were assembling them. The models are really cool looking, but it's a shame that they explode if you stare at them too intently.
One of my boards was also scratched to hell because it was packed in a weird way. My league has 16 players, and 6 had damaged components out of the box. That's pretty bad.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I really want to get into this game, but it doesn't seem to have regular play locally. Every other niche GW game is played, except this one. Hopefully Nightvault starts it up.

I picked up Nightvault and the Skaven. Finished my first ratman.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
That is a fantastic ratman (and that tail segmenting/highlighting!), you should be proud of the little terror you have wrought.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Interesting that war band has 8 models but you only get four activations a round

Maybe there’s a rule where they can attack in concert with one activation but you roll one dice for each and they only hit on a crit or something

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think the grots are what might get me to take the plunge

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Can the new warbands be used with the old game?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

beergod posted:

Interesting that war band has 8 models but you only get four activations a round

Maybe there’s a rule where they can attack in concert with one activation but you roll one dice for each and they only hit on a crit or something

Don’t the skeletons have something similar?

Knorth posted:

Yeah. You’ll need to get some magic dice, borrow someone else’s or find out some way to translate the symbols to a regular die.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Knorth posted:

Don't see why not.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Nice, I like the idea of playing with a Slyvaneth team eventually but not really interested in buying a new core set or whatever

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
The game is excellent and well worth the $51 (after flgs discount) the core set costs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Hobo posted:

About the Nightvault core set. The Nighthaunt figures are stupidly flimsy, one of mine was broken out of the box, and 3 guys broke theirs when they were assembling them. The models are really cool looking, but it's a shame that they explode if you stare at them too intently.
One of my boards was also scratched to hell because it was packed in a weird way. My league has 16 players, and 6 had damaged components out of the box. That's pretty bad.

Tell that to GW you will probably get a new core set.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tell that to GW you will probably get a new core set.
I emailed them as soon as I saw the damage, but I'm just hoping for a sprue that isn't broken.

We're halfway through our current league season, and skeletons and skaven are currently the top warbands.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I kinda wish they weren't coming out 2 weeks after the core set but it's not like I was going to get everything painted as it came out anyway

They did this with Shadespire as well. I'd much prefer we get content sooner, and then allow the meta to develop.

And the goblin look great.....mostly. The fact that so many are very minor adjustments to very old sculpts is a bit saddening, doesn't feel like as much love has gone into them.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I was looking forward to the Tzeentch warband the most, but now I've seen those Grots...

Wish there wasn't new warband releases so soon after Nightvault AND new neutral cards, but we need our local meta shaken up pretty fierce.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What I want to know about the Grotz is where do models 8 and 9 go on the board? I don't think any board has more than 7 Starting Hexes.

I imagine the squig herder will be able to place the squigs on adjacent hexes? And presumably he has special Actions in order to move them.

They'll be interesting but I'm most interested in Tzeentch.

I just wish I didn't have to radically cut my budget a few months ago; I want to buy everything.

Jimmysip
Aug 27, 2012
I'm thinking of jumping in to this with the new starter set. Is the game quite balanced out of the box? I get the impression that sigmarites in general would have an unfair advantage from their superior statline.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jimmysip posted:

I'm thinking of jumping in to this with the new starter set. Is the game quite balanced out of the box? I get the impression that sigmarites in general would have an unfair advantage from their superior statline.

Haven't played with the new stormcast yet, but in my experience the older ones work well as defensive armies but can be shoved around, out-objectived and swarmed.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that with two new players the Stormcast would win a lot over the Nighthaunt because they're going to be a lot more straightforward to play, but not necessarily because they're not balanced.

I think the game is pretty balanced in general. When there was a really oppressive, lovely build last year they FAQ'd it very quickly to stop it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
If I don't plan on using any of the Nightvault teams, should I still get it?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

radlum posted:

If I don't plan on using any of the Nightvault teams, should I still get it?

If you don't have the previous starter, then you should get it or the previous starter just to get generic cards, dice, game board, tokens, etc. Doesn't really matter which, but you might need to buy magic dice if you go with the first one.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
The new starter is balanced and has complete rules. The old starter you should only buy if you want the boards, as you can now get the warbands separately.

It's a really good starter. If you don't want the figs you can probably offload them on AoS players.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Eyes of the Nine preview up. Real glass cannon hours.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/02/2nd-oct-warband-focus-eyes-of-the-ninegw-homepage-post-4/

I like the way their summoning mechanic works, lets them be super annoying without getting out of hand. I was a bit worried that they could flood the board with models, which I don't think would fit the game.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 2, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow. K'Charik is a faster Gurzag with a better reroll.

These guys seem real interesting.

Am I correct that Blue Horrors don't grant Glory? "When this fighter Would Be taken out of action, instead..."

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They look really cool!

Sab669 posted:

Am I correct that Blue Horrors don't grant Glory? "When this fighter Would Be taken out of action, instead..."
Yeah, they don't go out of action so you don't get anything.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/03/3rd-orkt-warband-focus-zarbags-gitzgw-homepage-post-2/

The Gitz are up. I'm not especially interested in them, but Snirk is hilarious and interesting.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he seems pretty fun! I like the squigs inspire condition as well

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Looks way more fun than The Eyes, I think I found my next band after the core.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
By the way, the text about the fanatic makes it sound like he inspires automatically after you activate him, but you aren't usually forced to use a reaction? The card makes it sound like you choose when you inspire him, so it actually happens at a useful time.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
I am loving those goblin and squig models. Going to be super interesting to try and compete with as well, that's some very low health across the board, and no way to really trigger scurry first turn.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Goblins are not my thing, but they certainly look fun and thematic.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

BurlapNapkin posted:

I am loving those goblin and squig models. Going to be super interesting to try and compete with as well, that's some very low health across the board, and no way to really trigger scurry first turn.

Several of the new boards have at least a pair of adjacent starting hexes. First turn you could trigger the Squig Herder, both squigs, and another grot. Depending on setup, you could squeeze in another grot if you had second turn and a "push one hex" ploy.

4-5 moves in the first activation isn't bad.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Electric Hobo posted:

By the way, the text about the fanatic makes it sound like he inspires automatically after you activate him, but you aren't usually forced to use a reaction? The card makes it sound like you choose when you inspire him, so it actually happens at a useful time.

You don't have to use a Reaction, you can Inspire him any time you want. And note that it just says, "An activation" - not "after this model activates" or "a friendly fighter's activation" or anything like that. So you should even be able to inspire him after your opponent's turn.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Several of the new boards have at least a pair of adjacent starting hexes. First turn you could trigger the Squig Herder, both squigs, and another grot. Depending on setup, you could squeeze in another grot if you had second turn and a "push one hex" ploy.

4-5 moves in the first activation isn't bad.

I somehow completely missed this (and I just unpacked Nightvault, so it would have been right in front of my face), that sounds pretty good for first turn opportunities. I do really like the complexity of setting up your actions and positions so that multiple gobbos can scurry each charge/move.

The glory inspiration condition is cool as well, very in line with what you want to be doing all the time. Possibly also thematic, emboldening your little goblins with early success?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

You don't have to use a Reaction, you can Inspire him any time you want. And note that it just says, "An activation" - not "after this model activates" or "a friendly fighter's activation" or anything like that. So you should even be able to inspire him after your opponent's turn.
That's what I thought :) It was just that the blurb about him says "inspires the second you activate him", which made no sense if you look at the card. I guess it's just the community team messing up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/04/4th-oct-new-universal-cards-you-have-to-trygw-homepage-post-4/

New Universals.

Holy poo poo @ Infinite Riches & Sorcerous Insight.

Do you guys think they're going to introduce a way to make Shadespire leaders Wizards?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys think they're going to introduce a way to make Shadespire leaders Wizards?
Maybe... probably an upgrade to give one extra magic dice and allow the use of spells if your fighter starts with none. Or maybe a one-shot ploy to make use of a single spell. We'll see.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I don't think so - if it's through an upgrade or ploy, you're using one card to do so. Lose that card (i.e. through a mulligan) and it fucks up the rest of your deck.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Can you lay out the boards so a long edge abuts a short edge? Like a T?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No, the hexes doesn't match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Sab669 posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/04/4th-oct-new-universal-cards-you-have-to-trygw-homepage-post-4/

New Universals.

Holy poo poo @ Infinite Riches & Sorcerous Insight.

I'm most excited about Abasoth's unmaking. Seems fantastic for the spell marines.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 5, 2018