Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I like the idea of a Templar KoJ. Make a save backup and give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Rirse posted:

Okay playing over in Tibet sucked because it takes forever to move around. I had a ally who kept asking me to help them, but had some rear end in a top hat revolt and couldn't fight back so that save is over.

Yeah, it does. Maybe try a viking, haesteinn in nantes, brittany 867 is a ridiculously good start. You get event troops off the bat and you're a feudal pagan norse. Pretty much conquer britanny then anything you want from there. Just some other advice from reading a few of your posts, don't be afraid of a game over, it's really hard to actually get to that point. If you need to swear fealty to someone else in the short term to avoid it, that's not really a big deal.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Any opinion on this idea?

Might be wrong on this, but I think knightly orders are a duke level title, so if you give a grandmaster a kingdom the kingdom supersedes the knightly order, and when they die the successor will be elected for the knightly order and their spawn will inherit only the kingdom.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TomViolence posted:

Might be wrong on this, but I think knightly orders are a duke level title, so if you give a grandmaster a kingdom the kingdom supersedes the knightly order, and when they die the successor will be elected for the knightly order and their spawn will inherit only the kingdom.

You are correct. I was very disappointed in this.

Reloaded and gave it to one of the brothers. Of course he got kicked out within 5-10 years, but it did gave me the space to focus on unifying England which I have done.

The English plague still spreads in the south though. <_<

What's the best way to stamp that out? Just tutor heirs with Anglo-saxons?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah, it does. Maybe try a viking, haesteinn in nantes, brittany 867 is a ridiculously good start. You get event troops off the bat and you're a feudal pagan norse. Pretty much conquer britanny then anything you want from there. Just some other advice from reading a few of your posts, don't be afraid of a game over, it's really hard to actually get to that point. If you need to swear fealty to someone else in the short term to avoid it, that's not really a big deal.

He's also a good springboard if you wanna set up a little viking kingdom basically anywhere coastal in Europe. You can ditch Brittany if you want and be like the Normans who took Sicily.

The real sequence of events that brought the Normans to power in Sicily was so complicated I don't think CK2 can really model it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

You are correct. I was very disappointed in this.

Reloaded and gave it to one of the brothers. Of course he got kicked out within 5-10 years, but it did gave me the space to focus on unifying England which I have done.

The best "cure" is going full tyrant, arresting everybody with English culture and executing them. Then you will get a few English mayors and the like, but it will be far easier to contain.

And yes, the less disruptive long term plan is making sure that all your vassals have English heirs. Which can be a hassle, keeping tabs on children (or adults) that have the annoying tendency to die and leaving their inheritance to their wrong cultured siblings.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow Haestein is pretty fun. You're not kidding those special units are good as I was able to take three vassels out almost instantly with them.

[edit] And it ended just as fast due to a lovely peasant revolt that had 5000 man somehow that killed me after I hired mercs.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 30, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

HRE's exploding nicely.

I started a new game as a count to see if I could work my way up and take over the HRE from nothing. Well, the second kid my dude has turns out to be a demon child. Except none of the events fired, just the one that told me he's a demon child. Apparently he got a witch nanny, though? I console command killed everyone in front of demonboy so he could take over the county anyway. Now I got a son of satan count. What should I do with him.

v Well, I still don't have conclave so maybe it'll be easy :v: Right now I just want the son of satan to take over an empire.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 30, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

big dyke energy posted:

I started a new game as a count to see if I could work my way up and take over the HRE from nothing.

I did this once. It ended in less than 20 minutes because I got a character with good stats and was elected emperor without ever even trying. :shobon:

This was pre-Conclave so it's probably less likely to happen now but still, kinda felt unearned.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

You're basically screwed if you want to stay Anglo-Saxon. As soon as English culture appears it will very quickly spread everywhere, and it's pretty much impossible to eradicate.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I got some bad news for you, kid.

e: the son of satan has also started hearing the voice of jesus and now has 56 martial

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 1, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

binge crotching posted:

You're basically screwed if you want to stay Anglo-Saxon. As soon as English culture appears it will very quickly spread everywhere, and it's pretty much impossible to eradicate.

I had one county switch back already. As long as I make sure all the Dukes are Anglo-Saxon it should work.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

I had one county switch back already. As long as I make sure all the Dukes are Anglo-Saxon it should work.

Dukes and counts! English counties ruled by English counts won't flip to Anglo-Saxon, even if the dukes are Anglo-Saxons.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Dukes and counts! English counties ruled by English counts won't flip to Anglo-Saxon, even if the dukes are Anglo-Saxons.

Ok. I guess I'll just have to save a couple of thousand gold and provoke a big civil war.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have masses of territory but not many troops as Ruthenia. I'm guessing that this is because most of my holdings aren't very advanced. Is it best to start building keeps and training grounds and stuff in order to build up my personal demense? Been too busy holy warring and pissing off my vassals with going feudal and reforming the faith to have any spare cash before now.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Walton Simons posted:

I have masses of territory but not many troops as Ruthenia. I'm guessing that this is because most of my holdings aren't very advanced. Is it best to start building keeps and training grounds and stuff in order to build up my personal demense? Been too busy holy warring and pissing off my vassals with going feudal and reforming the faith to have any spare cash before now.
Tribalism gives +50% to levies for each empty holding slot within the province (if the capital holding is a tribe). You lose this bonus when you go feudal, so yeah, there is no other way than upgrading holdings after you go feudal and that will cost you, although your vassals will slowly upgrade their holdings. Or you should've saved some cash for hiring mercenaries before you went feudal, I tend to rely on mercenaries a lot.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A better use of those mercs is to go and punch some nerd in the face and steal their castles.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Are there any recommended tutorials for the more experienced, but still pretty novice player? The OP is three years old and I don't know if better ones have come along.

My longest game was as Ireland, going the Noob Island route. I joined in the crusade to retake France, helped a little bit and then had most of France in my name after we somehow won the crusade. I had a demesne of something crazy like 73/8 and was overwhelmed with trying to divide it up to my vassals. I'd like to get some more games in and have a solid grasp on everything before I start trying crazier stuff like reforming Rome. Or at least be at a level of understanding of why things fell to pieces after the fact.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's a decision that lets your Chancellor divide up your titles for you, and it actually doesn't just let the chancellor go hog wild and do whatever they want with the titles. I've been chancellor when my AI liege took that decision, and it forced me to pick between three people for each title.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
if you're a good enough chancellor (maybe enough diplomacy?) you can give that poo poo to yourself. it owns.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Use the people searcher in the bottom right, give dukedoms to all the content people you have. Make as many bishoprics and merchant republics as you can.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Piell posted:

Use the people searcher in the bottom right, give dukedoms to all the content people you have. Make as many bishoprics and merchant republics as you can.

And make sure it's the highest-level titles you can give them and make sure to click the 'give all titles under this one' button. That can give a lot of positive relationship modifiers making the people you give them to super-loyal.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

When I press the "manage my titles" button, will they just "manage" the newly conquered titles or will they also carve up my home duchy? Also will my rear end in a top hat vassals give themselves the largest part of the cake, or will they actually distribute it in a way that I might approve?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

pidan posted:

When I press the "manage my titles" button, will they just "manage" the newly conquered titles or will they also carve up my home duchy? Also will my rear end in a top hat vassals give themselves the largest part of the cake, or will they actually distribute it in a way that I might approve?

I'm fairly certain it doesn't touch your home duchy. And them distributing it depends on their traits. I can't find a wiki guide on the decision, but chancellors with greedy/ambitious/envious/deceitful will probably be more likely to give it to themselves or their family members/friends. I also cannot guarantee that they won't give titles to already landed people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Commissar Canuck posted:

My longest game was as Ireland, going the Noob Island route. I joined in the crusade to retake France, helped a little bit and then had most of France in my name after we somehow won the crusade. I had a demesne of something crazy like 73/8 and was overwhelmed with trying to divide it up to my vassals.

never, ever press the "help with titles" button. it is a massive trap

all your baronies you can give away for free. you can generate holy men for 25 piety a pop to give county level titles. also, as mentioned above, look around in your realm for landless, content men. if you're short on piety (you shouldn't be if you just won a crusade) you can load up your new holy men with counties, but don't give them all one duchy! give one guy a little of duchy A, a little of duchy B, etc. so on. make sure each guy only has one county in each duchy and it's chopped up and hosed. then if you have the ducal titles to hand out and you land some new dukes, they'll love you but hate each other because of conflicting land claims and just fight like dogs

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What's a good 867 start that isn't in the British isles? Yesterday afternoon I kept trying to start as a count around Moravia/Bavaria, but after Hungary would form they kept eating everything and ending my game. And I don't wanna play as a Karling.

Reason it can't be in the British isles is that I've got about 100 years left in my Orkney game and I'm getting tired of staring at that part of the map.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What's a good 867 start that isn't in the British isles? Yesterday afternoon I kept trying to start as a count around Moravia/Bavaria, but after Hungary would form they kept eating everything and ending my game. And I don't wanna play as a Karling.

Reason it can't be in the British isles is that I've got about 100 years left in my Orkney game and I'm getting tired of staring at that part of the map.

Harald Fairhair in Norway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The three Scandinavian kings are all good, but as Orcs and Ostriches wrote, Harald Fairhair is the best. You can also play Rurik and recreate the founding of the Rurikid dynasty. Your son is already following the Slavic faith, but you can try to stay Norse if you want. Then there's the Norse king of Kiev, where you can really leverage your ability to traverse rivers, once you conquer some coastal provinces.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Technowolf posted:

And make sure it's the highest-level titles you can give them and make sure to click the 'give all titles under this one' button. That can give a lot of positive relationship modifiers making the people you give them to super-loyal.

Err. Don’t do that. If I’m handing out a dukedom I’m not letting the duke have a huge demesne so his son who doesn’t give a poo poo about me can whip my rear end down the road. I hand out the capital if possible and then sure out all the counties so the duke has to deal with his own shithead vassals.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In the spirit of this forum's seasonal name, I vote this thread be named Crusader Kings II: France--HRE--SKELETONS--Perm

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Err. Don’t do that. If I’m handing out a dukedom I’m not letting the duke have a huge demesne so his son who doesn’t give a poo poo about me can whip my rear end down the road. I hand out the capital if possible and then sure out all the counties so the duke has to deal with his own shithead vassals.

agreed with this

for new players, rule of thumb is that you, and your heirs if applicable, should hold all the land in a duchy. you want the ducal bonuses to levies and so on. and never permit one of your pissant vassal dukes to hold too much land in his own duchy. the more count vassals he has, the weaker he is. if you can split up his duchy so much the better, and bonus points if you can gently caress up the borders so much to have your vassals at each others throats instead of yours. the perfect time to engineer this is when you have just won a crusade or something and have huge stacks of titles to hand out. start from the bottom up

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If you want a challenge in a place that's very far from the Isles, Karen is always an option over in Persia.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Ugly, fragmented internal borders are no better than ugly external borders.

It may make vassals easier to manage, but only at the cost of your own soul.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Crusader Kings 2: Ugly Borders? At the Cost of Your Soul

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Only a weak ruler suffers internal border gore, the strong squash all dissenting dukes and award their pure borders to those most worthy.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Uhh a dude invited me over to carouse and I think I loving ate him at the end :stare:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The pro way to handle borders is to switch to imperial administration and hand out each duchy personally upon the death of the last duke. What you want are 2-3 single province counts per duchy, and alternate between each family which one gets the duchy. After a couple generations, every count will have a claim on the title and they'll all spend their days scheming how to take the duchy and leave you alone. If a count manages to get a second county, then after you reinherit the duchy, scheme against the 2 province count to revoke their non-primary county for free. Then give that county to your own dynasty member. Then begin the cycle again.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Crusader Kings 2: he did the mash, he did the Mongol mash

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

big dyke energy posted:

Uhh a dude invited me over to carouse and I think I loving ate him at the end :stare:

One time, I accepted an offer to carouse from a long-time friend. But after accepting I looked at his character sheet and noticed he had picked up the cannibal trait since our last get-together. The party didn't end up going so well for me, but he probably had a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

Crusader Kings 2: he did the mash, he did the Mongol mash

:five:

• Locked thread