Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Himuro posted:

:wtc:

Are you drunk? Re-read this post again.

I liked you better when your inexplicable hostility was limited to posting about DQ11 being too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

mp5 posted:

I liked you better when your inexplicable hostility was limited to posting about DQ11 being too easy

Huh? I just didn't understand their post. Very confusing.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

John Lee posted:

Personally, I really liked IX; I had been looking for a return to team character creation, and it had a pretty in-depth skill system. Plus, I found three friends who wanted to play through it together with me, so it was a grand time. Also: fully visual armor.

It got a lot of flak at the time for being different from the immediate predecessors, though; it doesn't have an ensemble cast, only your silent main character. There's still perfectly fine story events and vignettes, but a lot of people really missed having the strong characters in your party, In addition, there was a lot of downloadable postgame content, and the only way to get it now that the servers are down is to have another person who has it visit your save file (or get the data from the internet, if you're emulating, but who would do that?) There was an online shop that sold rare goods, changing weekly, and it's depressing to see it do nothing the whole game as it stands.

On the whole, though, I think it's still a very worthwhile game!

I only got into the series recently (starting XI, then having to totally wipe my hd and reinstall Windows for unrelated reasons, then picking VIII back up from when I dropped off out of choice paralysis after getting the boat and finishing it, loving DQ, and jumping back into XI) but im one of those people who is definitely putting it off until my last DQ game because im not a fan of the silent party idea or all that stuff about items and equipment. Except the dressup that's awesome.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Himuro posted:

:wtc:

Are you drunk? Re-read this post again.

I tried multiple settings and I could never get my ds online ever, not once. I used DSL back then so maybe that was a reason. It really sucked because I'd miss out on cool features in Animal Crossing, Shiren The Wanderer, and DQIX. :(
Nintendo DS wouldn't connect to routers that were secured with anything other than WEP, which was phased out for WPA during the DS lifecycle. If you were a DS owner, you probably had to downgrade the security on your router while using the online functionality.

[e] Not saying this is what happened to you, but this is probably what Calaveron is referring to in their post.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 1, 2018

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ddogflex posted:

I just built a new PC last week, and DQ XI was the first game I bought. HOLY poo poo IT'S PRETTY.

Anyone know if there is any downside to the orchestral mod? Seems like only positives?

A scant few of the tracks are less good (Sylvando’s theme and the camping music spring to mind) for the mood. Some of the other tracks are still bad, but at least well-played.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ddogflex posted:

I just built a new PC last week, and DQ XI was the first game I bought. HOLY poo poo IT'S PRETTY.

Anyone know if there is any downside to the orchestral mod? Seems like only positives?

The music is still bad, it just sounds better.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Your Parents posted:

I only got into the series recently (starting XI, then having to totally wipe my hd and reinstall Windows for unrelated reasons, then picking VIII back up from when I dropped off out of choice paralysis after getting the boat and finishing it, loving DQ, and jumping back into XI) but im one of those people who is definitely putting it off until my last DQ game because im not a fan of the silent party idea or all that stuff about items and equipment. Except the dressup that's awesome.

Warning ahead of time. DQIX is really a reworking of DQIII. DQIII has you go to Luida's bar to recruit party members FF Tactics style. The hero is silent and so are the party members. IX does all of this. So if the silent character thing isn't one of your favorites, be warned that DQIII (and by extension 1) has the same thing. DQIX has a vignette style where the story is focused around the towns people and their troubles so the party not talking isn't much of a big deal. DQIII has less of that, of course.

To be honest, once you're done with XI and VIII, I'd suggest going with either VII 3ds or IV-VI ds (I suggest playing IV on your phone instead of ds because the English ds version lacks party talk which they put into the mobile release, so the mobile version is superior). I wouldn't play III, VI, VII, or IX in a row because they all have class systems and you don't want to be burned out. Especially given VII's length. Happy slime hunting. :)

Rascyc posted:

Nintendo DS wouldn't connect to routers that were secured with anything other than WEP, which was phased out for WPA during the DS lifecycle. If you were a DS owner, you probably had to downgrade the security on your router while using the online functionality.

[e] Not saying this is what happened to you, but this is probably what Calaveron is referring to in their post.

Yeah. I tried it back in the day and still no dice. :(

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 1, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What level should I be to beat the final boss in in Act 3? I'm currently level 58 and have finished most of the city events, only have Trial of the Luminary battle and Sylandro's quest to finish.

Is there a boss comparable in difficulty to final boss that fighting would tell me whether I'm ready for the final battle?

edit: oh and also haven't done Wheel of Harma 4 and 5 yet

Also, most of the new music wasn't that memorable, but this track (Serena's Harp) is pretty. Good thing as it plays in some of the most emotional moments of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_NS5oEQQZM

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 1, 2018

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I can't recommend IX at all. Coming from VIII, it was a huge downgrade graphically, mechanically, narratively, and musically. The fact that it's almost impossible to legitimately get the DLC content is just icing on the cake.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My favorite thing in 9 resurfaces at the end of Act 3 in 11. Ending talk When the credits are rolling and it's showing moving moments from all the games or fighting the final bosses there's like... nothing in 9 so instead it's just the player characters failing to kill metal king slimes. That got a laugh out of me.
That about sums it up.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mizuti posted:

I can't recommend IX at all. Coming from VIII, it was a huge downgrade graphically, mechanically, narratively, and musically.

I mean, narrative, graphics, and music I get but mechanically? How? DQIX offers far more freedom in terms of mechanics via the class system. In terms of gameplay I felt IX was the better game although I prefer VIII overall. VIII ps2 had an alchemy pot where you had to actually wait for it to finish in real world time. It had (at the time) the worst battle system in Dragon Quest that was (and remains) slow as molasses, as well as long load times. IX introduced visible enemies, a better alchemy pot, a more refined take on Luida's bar, tons of quests, shorter load times, and a faster battle system. In terms of gameplay it was easily the more fun to play. Now that 3ds version of VIII included a better alchemy pot, faster battles, and load times it's much. But comparing it to DQVIII ps2?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 1, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dqviii was really, really good but basically all of the gameplay has aged extremely poorly

remember having to constantly consult a faq to see what abilities your unreassignable skill points were working towards? good poo poo

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

IX’s great, I’m probably gonna go back to that after beating XI. The job system and character customization own bones.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

U-DO Burger posted:

dqviii was really, really good but basically all of the gameplay has aged extremely poorly

remember having to constantly consult a faq to see what abilities your unreassignable skill points were working towards? good poo poo

Yeah. VIII ps2 was my first DQ and I loved it tons. So much I decided to go through the whole series. So while waiting for IX after VIII I went through I-V, and some of DWVII. Before IX came out I wanted to give VIII a replay to make it all come full circle or whatever, and was shocked to find that I found it was mostly unplayable. Everything else was fantastic, but that gameplay...

Turns out that adding the voice track to the English version of the game increased the load times ten fold for instance.

ROFL Octopus posted:

IX’s great, I’m probably gonna go back to that after beating XI. The job system and character customization own bones.

Yeah, I haven't replayed it ever. I should go back to it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
IX was the first time the game stopped actively hating you and making it misery to play

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I've been playing DQ3 and it's way better than 9, I don't get that at all

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

tbf you can just go with 1 weapon skill and their unique skill and you'll be fine for all of 8, you only really need precise skill point spending for the superbosses on the 3ds remake, and even then only for Jessica
(and that game gives you a bunch of skill points at super-high levels for that purpose)

I did all those superbosses and their level of horseshit is what XI Hardmode stares at wistfully and wishes it could be

also the tension system ruled and added a lot of strategy to bosses. DQVIII is still my favorite dragon quest gameplay-wise, though this might be because I really dislike the dragon quest job system that makes you fight hundreds of battles to master them

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
IX made the mage class inexplicably terrible, and that impacted my enjoyment a lot. I also despised the randomly generated dungeons intended as endgame content. The alchemy pot technically worked better, but I preferred having one that traveled with you compared to the one you specifically had to travel to. I didn't get much use out of IX's pot, whereas I always had something useful cooking in VIII.

You guys are absolutely right about IX's advantages in places like load times, battle speed, and enemies visible on the map. Good thing the 3DS version of VIII helps with some of these things.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Yinlock posted:

tbf you can just go with 1 weapon skill and their unique skill and you'll be fine for all of 8, you only really need precise skill point spending for the superbosses on the 3ds remake, and even then only for Jessica
(and that game gives you a bunch of skill points at super-high levels for that purpose)

I did all those superbosses and their level of horseshit is what XI Hardmode stares at wistfully and wishes it could be

also the tension system ruled and added a lot of strategy to bosses. DQVIII is still my favorite dragon quest gameplay-wise, though this might be because I really dislike the dragon quest job system that makes you fight hundreds of battles to master them

I miss tension so much.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Himuro posted:

I miss tension so much.

tension owned, sure you could easily oneshot the boss at max tension but bosses always had like 3 different ways to knock your rear end back down to 0 so you better choose when to cash in that damage carefully

and when bosses themselves suddenly used all their turns on building tension and you're like "gently caress", so good

also the hero literally goes super saiyan at 100 tension(though they took this out of the 3ds remake which is it's sole flaw, yes i know it was na version only but it was still rad)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Yinlock posted:

tension owned, sure you could easily oneshot the boss at max tension but bosses always had like 3 different ways to knock your rear end back down to 0 so you better choose when to cash in that damage carefully

and when bosses themselves suddenly used all their turns on building tension and you're like "gently caress", so good

also the hero literally goes super saiyan at 100 tension(though they took this out of the 3ds remake which is it's sole flaw, yes i know it was na version only but it was still rad)

Yeah man, I just don't get why they got rid of tension and I find peps entirely inferior. To me DQ is all about perfection. They take established systems and retool it the next entry to make it perfect if something didn't work out rather than toss it away like FF does. Yet I'm struggling to find how peps improve upon tension at all.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I do not miss tension at all. It was not good mechanically or gameplay-wise. Psyching Up by itself was a waste of time (1 step was a net negative in damage vs just attacking twice, 2 steps was exactly even, and 3 steps is only +25% damage), so Timbrel of Tension/High Strung Cheese were the only worthwhile ways of generating tension, and it's so easy for most of the bosses to knock you down or paralyze you or just plain dispel the tension that going up to 50 or 100 is just a terrible idea. It didn't present any actual meaningful decisions. Do you have the Timbrel/Cheese? Use them every turn. Don't? Don't bother with Tension.

To put it another way, Tension was all style, no substance.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of DQVIII, what's the best way to play that nowadays? I still have my old PS2 copy so I could pull that out, but are the 3DS or iOS adaptations worthwhile?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 3DS is massively improved in QoL, except the music is Midi.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zurai posted:

I do not miss tension at all. It was not good mechanically or gameplay-wise. Psyching Up by itself was a waste of time (1 step was a net negative in damage vs just attacking twice, 2 steps was exactly even, and 3 steps is only +25% damage), so Timbrel of Tension/High Strung Cheese were the only worthwhile ways of generating tension, and it's so easy for most of the bosses to knock you down or paralyze you or just plain dispel the tension that going up to 50 or 100 is just a terrible idea. It didn't present any actual meaningful decisions. Do you have the Timbrel/Cheese? Use them every turn. Don't? Don't bother with Tension.

if you're bad at tension management, sure

SettingSun posted:

Speaking of DQVIII, what's the best way to play that nowadays? I still have my old PS2 copy so I could pull that out, but are the 3DS or iOS adaptations worthwhile?

3ds one is the best by miles

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Himuro posted:

Yeah man, I just don't get why they got rid of tension and I find peps entirely inferior. To me DQ is all about perfection. They take established systems and retool it the next entry to make it perfect if something didn't work out rather than toss it away like FF does. Yet I'm struggling to find how peps improve upon tension at all.

It's a trade off. With the tension system you had a lot of control over how and when characters powered up. That part was good and fun! The bad side of it is that it often resulted in the first several turns of fights being devoted to powering up before you actually did things in the battle. Yawn. Xenosaga II did something like this, only worse, and it loving sucked and made already painfully long fights even longer.

Pep is more random. Since you can't really control it, and since the duration of pep is random, you're spending fewer turns trying to manipulate pep, and instead you're actually doing things. This part is good and fun! The bad side of it is when you're grinding or doing certain quests that basically require you to use certain pep powers, which means you're spending a bunch of turns doing nothing but waiting for people to power up. Yawn. I like the pep system because it encourages you to be more proactive in battle, but those quests that tell you to use X pep power on whatever monster are terrible and i hate them

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

If you're bad at math and loved having a character whose job is to do nothing but use a single item, ever, Tension was great, sure.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zurai posted:

If you're bad at math and loved having a character whose job is to do nothing but use a single item, ever, Tension was great, sure.

the joke's on you, i'm bad at math and enjoy when my characters hit an enemy for massive damage

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

After a while you can gain a lot of control of your pepping up, to a point. The Hero gets a skill that lets him pep up at will, and you can switch out characters who get pepped up and they can keep it until you need it. Makes those Pep Quests so much easier.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A combat system to do big damage in which you're doing nothing for the first couple steps reminds me of.....xenosaga 2

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I love peps because they're a natural extension of Yuji Hori's love of gambling.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

U-DO Burger posted:

It's a trade off. With the tension system you had a lot of control over how and when characters powered up. That part was good and fun! The bad side of it is that it often resulted in the first several turns of fights being devoted to powering up before you actually did things in the battle. Yawn. Xenosaga II did something like this, only worse, and it loving sucked and made already painfully long fights even longer.

Pep is more random. Since you can't really control it, and since the duration of pep is random, you're spending fewer turns trying to manipulate pep, and instead you're actually doing things. This part is good and fun! The bad side of it is when you're grinding or doing certain quests that basically require you to use certain pep powers, which means you're spending a bunch of turns doing nothing but waiting for people to power up. Yawn. I like the pep system because it encourages you to be more proactive in battle, but those quests that tell you to use X pep power on whatever monster are terrible and i hate them

I never thought of it as a bad thing. You tense up, but you're completely vulnerable while doing so. So in that way you're not doing "nothing". You can't defend on a turn where you use it and you're not attacking either. I always felt it was balanced for that reason. And depending on where you are in the game, and with whatever characters, you might lack firepower. So when you need heals, depending on the build and point in the game, and the hero tenses up, but someone needs to heal, you'll be in a predicament. I liked how it forced you to choose between actions because it provided an added risk. Sometimes you couldn't even go to 100 tension, so you were wasting a whole turn. I like stuff like that. Pep has no risk because it can't be controls and can also be ignored for a period of time as well by carrying over between battles. I thought tension added a layer of added risk to the battles and was improved even further in IX.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2018

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The thing is that Tension didn't add risk because it was a bad idea to actually use it for most of the game, and the part of the game where it wasn't a bad idea it wasn't risky at all.

Pep might not be risky, but it has vastly more decision making involved than Tension ever did.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I have mixed feelings about pep cause a lot of the pep combos are pretty meh but I really like their animations. Some of the pep combos are absurdly good though, like Rab's sleep.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

A combat system to do big damage in which you're doing nothing for the first couple steps reminds me of.....xenosaga 2

that's literally what the xsii non-mech battle system was about though

if you wanted boss fights to go "quickly", you spend like ten turns doing nothing except building your stock and boost, then you launch/ground the boss and go nuts dumping everything into it all at once. The Margulis fight basically required you to do it like this because otherwise you'd go too slow and he'd just cast Stop on your party, which iirc was an unblockable instant game over

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Pep is way cooler than tension. Combo attacks are a lot more fun and mechanically interesting than just doing huge loving chunks of damage, and I like the idea of "being charged" having different mechanics for different characters. They should really lean into that part of it more in the next game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Himuro posted:

Sometimes you couldn't even go to 100 tension, so you were wasting a whole turn. I like stuff like that.

:shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only way in which tension is better than pep is that you have more control over tension, and I'm not even sure that's a good thing. Dragon Quest is best when you're making do with whatever you've got.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Himuro posted:

Warning ahead of time. DQIX is really a reworking of DQIII. DQIII has you go to Luida's bar to recruit party members FF Tactics style. The hero is silent and so are the party members. IX does all of this. So if the silent character thing isn't one of your favorites, be warned that DQIII (and by extension 1) has the same thing. DQIX has a vignette style where the story is focused around the towns people and their troubles so the party not talking isn't much of a big deal. DQIII has less of that, of course.

To be honest, once you're done with XI and VIII, I'd suggest going with either VII 3ds or IV-VI ds (I suggest playing IV on your phone instead of ds because the English ds version lacks party talk which they put into the mobile release, so the mobile version is superior). I wouldn't play III, VI, VII, or IX in a row because they all have class systems and you don't want to be burned out. Especially given VII's length. Happy slime hunting. :)

Yeah. I tried it back in the day and still no dice. :(

lol. i actually already own 7 on 3ds and literally just bought 4 on my phone a week ago to play after I finish 11. Sounds like I'm on the right track, thanks!

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

a shitload of bosses in VIII just use disruptive wave every turn you have buffs or tension up, making it pretty much impossible to manage and use tension without one character using an item to boost another's tension so they can spend it on the same turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm glad that DQXI (at least prior to the postgame; I'm still early in it) chilled with the Disruptive Wave spam. It's tradition and a neat gimmick to work around for like, one major boss per game, but putting it everywhere just renders a bunch of spells and abilities too chancy to be worthwhile and reduces the combat to "spam high damage attacks and heals".

Re: My post about pep and how I think each character having their own effects from being powered up is neat, that actually sort of reminds me of FF9 (the most DQ Final Fantasy).

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 1, 2018