Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ineffiable posted:

Too shy, I really agree with you on little nightmares. It's so short and really leaves you wanting more. However the complete game on sale is a decent deal. I really like what they've done with the dlc levels. Did you get a chance to review the dlc levels?

No but I'm definitely going to pick up all the DLC the next time it's on sale, and when I do that I'll surely review it all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Too Shy Guy posted:

No but I'm definitely going to pick up all the DLC the next time it's on sale, and when I do that I'll surely review it all!

I won't spoil anything but it does have more puzzles and a little bit different style of gameplay. I totally recommend it if you're in love with the atmosphere of the main game but are left wanting more.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Poulpe posted:

Yeah this was my takeaway too.
That, and the rolling my eyes at the game insisting that each transition between bodies was a "coin flip", as if you were rolling the dice every time you hit that "upload to new body" button. You're making a literal copy and you're not it! This is not complicated!

Yeah, absolutely. And since most of the audience DOES get this (I think? Most do, right?), it doesn't seem like it'd undercut the horror any to have the main character understanding it also and doing what he does anyway.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

exploded mummy posted:

life is simply unfair

Haha at least in this series it's pretty much implied that magic and psychics are real, so they can do whatever
I quite liked it even if ZTD was a bit of a mess!

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, absolutely. And since most of the audience DOES get this (I think? Most do, right?), it doesn't seem like it'd undercut the horror any to have the main character understanding it also and doing what he does anyway.

Precisely! Then there's this impact of the decisions like WELP, this is it

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

Skyscraper posted:

Thanks for this, do you have any other recommendations from her channel? She also translated the (very good) Bathroom demo for John, that's totally worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M52hiNngHyk

She started a new FMV horror game called Closed Nightmare but it's not finished yet.

There's also a visual novel called Death Mark that's a huge playthrough (+30 videos, not completed yet). A translated version of that game is actually coming for PS4 on Halloween.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Yeah, Roko's Basilisk also hinges on the idea that when people can be digitized in the future, an AI can re-create a digitized "you" to put in Android Hell just from reading your blog posts that you made in today's time, which is really a leap that even their basic idea doesn't address.

Halloween Jack posted:

Man, why would Silicon Valley turbonerds think that you can create a perfect simulation of reality by data mining Internet posts?
Man, I could talk for hours about everything that's wrong with Eliezer Yudkowsky's scammy internet cult, but I think this really isn't the thread for it. Just know that the entire thing came about because of a high-school dropout who now calls himself an "AI researcher" (no degree) and who loves to con money out of Silicon Valley nouveau riche and has never produced so much as a single paper. It's exactly as dumb as you would expect from that, and presumably, so would any game based on it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cyberdud posted:

She started a new FMV horror game called Closed Nightmare but it's not finished yet.

Oh hey, that's not bad! It's not FMV like Night Trap is FMV.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, I could talk for hours about everything that's wrong with Eliezer Yudkowsky's scammy internet cult, but I think this really isn't the thread for it. Just know that the entire thing came about because of a high-school dropout who now calls himself an "AI researcher" (no degree) and who loves to con money out of Silicon Valley nouveau riche and has never produced so much as a single paper. It's exactly as dumb as you would expect from that, and presumably, so would any game based on it.
There was already a pretty spooky series of FPS games about uncontrolled AI called Marathon, anyways.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Poulpe posted:

Yeah this was my takeaway too.
That, and the rolling my eyes at the game insisting that each transition between bodies was a "coin flip", as if you were rolling the dice every time you hit that "upload to new body" button. You're making a literal copy and you're not it! This is not complicated!

The game does not insist that. The point wasn't that it's a literal coin toss, just that from the perspective of the persons experiencing it they can't know if they're the original or the copy until the copying process is complete and their experiences diverge. There's no sensation of being a new consciousness or anything for any of the copies. It feels seamless to them. Catherine uses the coin toss analogy because Simon refuses to accept that there isn't a happy ending for him, and she still needs him to deliver the ark.

I feel like some of this confusion would have been defused if they dropped the stealth section stuff and leaned more into the division between player and character, so people could see Simon as a flawed individual with their own set of motivations and ideas about what's happening. edit: Like maybe at some point there's another copy and that's who you actually were, a 4th Simon who is also completely mute and has to work with the 3rd Simon.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 1, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's a David Brin novel that deals with concepts like this so much better. Kiln People, it was called, I think. In the future of next Tuesday, everyone has a room-sized device called a "kiln" where you can bake self-aware throwaway copies of yourself and send them out to do your work for you. At the end of the day, you put them back in the box and fiddle their experiences and mental state back into your own brain and sense of self. No muss, no fuss, no loss of continuity, everyone's happy and the system works just fine.

Except when they "go Frankie" and decide to be their own person. That's when the fun starts.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

TGLT posted:

The game does not insist that. The point wasn't that it's a literal coin toss, just that from the perspective of the persons experiencing it they can't know if they're the original or the copy until the copying process is complete and their experiences diverge. There's no sensation of being a new consciousness or anything for any of the copies. It feels seamless to them. Catherine uses the coin toss analogy because Simon refuses to accept that there isn't a happy ending for him, and she still needs him to deliver the ark.
Right, ok, we get it. The main character does not.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a David Brin novel that deals with concepts like this so much better. Kiln People, it was called, I think. In the future of next Tuesday, everyone has a room-sized device called a "kiln" where you can bake self-aware throwaway copies of yourself and send them out to do your work for you. At the end of the day, you put them back in the box and fiddle their experiences and mental state back into your own brain and sense of self. No muss, no fuss, no loss of continuity, everyone's happy and the system works just fine.

Except when they "go Frankie" and decide to be their own person. That's when the fun starts.

Kiln People is worse then that, the copies are treated as disposable and "less then human". They have a limited lifespan of a day or two. After that they melt away to nothing. So if they don't "consolidate" their memories with their "original", it's like total oblivion for them. They use the copies for everything. You send copies of you to work and since you don't want boring memories from work, you just instruct them to jump into vats of recycling juice that melts them early. No fuss no muss.

Unless you get in that Kiln machine and you wake up as the copy, that is.

Yeah that book twisted my brain into a pretzel like SOMA did.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it's implied you can do that, but also that comparatively few people do. Who wants to continuously commit suicide by proxy, after all? Everyone has at least some memories of having been clay themselves at some point.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Cyberdud posted:

There's also a visual novel called Death Mark that's a huge playthrough (+30 videos, not completed yet). A translated version of that game is actually coming for PS4 on Halloween.

Have you seen the death mark playthrough? If so does it look good? I like horror VNs and I'm looking foward to it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there's so many 'copies and existentialism' threads in horror that i ended up really appreciating it when peter hamilton wrote an entire subsection of one of his sci-fi societies being populated by people with one mind and many bodies (they're referred to as simply "being multiple") and the multiples had the incredibly pragmatic take that they were all just the same existence so it doesn't really matter that much if one of your 'selves' is deprived or whatever

it's something you want to avoid same way you try to avoid walking outside with only one shoe because rocks hurt feet but you're not going to get a self-contained sentience revolt because all these forms are really rolling with the same consciousness and everyone gets that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Skyscraper posted:

Right, ok, we get it. The main character does not.

that's the point that people are trying to get across. simon is a random dink from loving forever ago who in the blink of an eye as far as he's concerned has now been told that human life is extinct and he's the only one who can send a magical cyberparadise into space to salvage whatever tiny scrap remains of their consciousness

the dude probably has barely any goddamn clue what all is exactly happening beyond what's in front of him and it's not that weird for him to hope, for whatever dumb reason, that he'll magically be the 'him' that gets to take a ride into space. the entire point is that he's desperate to believe anything and catherine doesn't really know what to say other than something that will maybe get the mission completed.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wish Catherine had been the main character

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Little Nightmares almost lost me in the opening areas which have some really bad platforming puzzles but then it introduces the Janitor and it's kind of a non-stop run away from big monsters kind of game after that. I still think they could've improves the checkpoints because in some areas you lose a whole lot of progress that amounts to slowly climbing stuff. Prince of Persia and all those cinematic platform games understood that the player needs to start over as close to the point of death as possible, if not the same screen.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's the point that people are trying to get across. simon is a random dink from loving forever ago who in the blink of an eye as far as he's concerned has now been told that human life is extinct and he's the only one who can send a magical cyberparadise into space to salvage whatever tiny scrap remains of their consciousness

the dude probably has barely any goddamn clue what all is exactly happening beyond what's in front of him and it's not that weird for him to hope, for whatever dumb reason, that he'll magically be the 'him' that gets to take a ride into space. the entire point is that he's desperate to believe anything and catherine doesn't really know what to say other than something that will maybe get the mission completed.

OH poo poo yeah, I thought TGLT was just explaining the purpose of the metaphor, being a a motivational metaphor that the character was shockingly dumb to understand, but if Catherine is actually manipulating this dummy from the past, knowing he won't get it, that's a way different reading than I had for it and kinda interesting.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Skyscraper posted:

OH poo poo yeah, I thought TGLT was just explaining the purpose of the metaphor, being a a motivational metaphor that the character was shockingly dumb to understand, but if Catherine is actually manipulating this dummy from the past, knowing he won't get it, that's a way different reading than I had for it and kinda interesting.

I thought playing someone who was way out of their depth (:v:) and simply didn't understand what was happening was almost a nice counterpoint to being some kind of Gordon Freeman-esque super science warrior, so she had to lead you around and get you to do all the busywork.

Also I guess Catherine doesn't like people, doesn't have friends and doesn't have a connection to the real world, so she's not really interested in your motivation or problems. She'll say whatever it takes to get the job done. Until very near the end, she doesn't really care who you were.

Although there were a few points where you could miss really interesting dialogue if you approached an important object or area too quickly, which was a bit annoying.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 1, 2018

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I thought playing someone who was way out of their depth (:v:) and simply didn't understand what was happening was almost a nice counterpoint to being some kind of Gordon Freeman-esque super science warrior, so she had to lead you around and get you to do all the busywork.

Although there were a few points where you could miss really interesting dialogue if you approached an important object or area too quickly, which was a bit annoying.

Even Gordon Freeman doesn't understand what he's doing and has to have it explained constantly, all he and most other protagonists understand is how to use every single gun and piece of battlefield technology, which is a thing you learn when you get a degree in physics.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Skyscraper posted:

Even Gordon Freeman doesn't understand what he's doing and has to have it explained constantly, all he and most other protagonists understand is how to use every single gun and piece of battlefield technology, which is a thing you learn when you get a degree in physics.

I guess he just stays silent and seems smarter than Simon going "But whyyyy? Where am I? Why does everything suuuuuck?"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Yeah, I think when you're doing the diving suit to heavy suit transition she accidentally tips her hand by not muting Simon 2 fast enough. She tries to brush past it but gets called out on it. She's doing what she can to manipulate the Simons to keep them moving forward because they're the only set of people that still have working limbs and also aren't bugfuck nuts. There's earlier moments, at least I'm pretty sure although it's been a while, but that's the one that sticks out to me the most.

I'm also down for SOMA: Lifeline, where you have to order a dingus around while telling white lies or glossing over things to keep his hope up and his stress down.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 1, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess one could say it's kind of mean for catherine to do something of the sort but to be frank i think most sensibilities go out the window once humanity as we know it is basically dead anyways

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TGLT posted:

I'm also down for SOMA: Lifeline, where you have to order a dingus around while telling white lies or glossing over things to keep his hope up and his stress down.

This would work really well in an interactive fiction format since you could easily change the framing to be giving instructions to someone else, rather than just saying what your protagonist does, and I'm suddenly thinking about hitting up Twine or Inform or whatever and trying this out some time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

Uhh, a horror game about scheming the nouveau riche sounds loving good. The high atmosphere horror of meaningless excess and that these people have no insides beyond the layers of Things they surround themselves with. The true horror is that some of these individuals have been subsumed by a terrible trendy tech eldritch hivemind, and they're the nice ones. Do you oust this insidious growing Otherness, knowing that they are in many ways healthier for the advance of technology and for society at large but will continue to grow and subsume individuality, let them live, help them spread?

my kickstarter will be available on the 17th

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Nigerian Scam Tycoon." I can dig it.

quote:

I thought playing someone who was way out of their depth () and simply didn't understand what was happening was almost a nice counterpoint to being some kind of Gordon Freeman-esque super science warrior, so she had to lead you around and get you to do all the busywork.
It's kind of unsatisfying in the same way that it's unsatisfying to read a book or watch a movie about a whiny incompetent, too. When I play a game, I like it to be about someone who is fun to watch do poo poo.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Thanks for this, do you have any other recommendations from her channel? She also translated the (very good) Bathroom demo for John, that's totally worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M52hiNngHyk

The Shikiyoku series starts pretty strong but the direction changes to more comedic (read:unfunny gay jokes in a host club) and the little sister gets really creepy with the red string stuff and not in an intentional horror way, which is one of the reasons Gab stopped playing them.

The first episode and maybe the second are suitably spooky however, and there's a short horror the same creator made that she also plays:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ZeB1NOr6M

Night of the Sacrifice is worth a watch as one of those wii horror games that look like rear end to play but good to watch.

There's also this unsettling thing:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Xro9csbbk

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cardiovorax posted:

"Nigerian Scam Tycoon." I can dig it.

It's kind of unsatisfying in the same way that it's unsatisfying to read a book or watch a movie about a whiny incompetent, too. When I play a game, I like it to be about someone who is fun to watch do poo poo.

A Confederacy of Dunces is about a whiny incompetent and that's one of the greatest books of all time

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Catherine's explanation that it was a coin toss was an intentional misdirection, I'm pretty certain. She always knew exactly what was going on, she was deeply involved in the process, and she also knew the struggles people went through accepting the copies. But by describing it as a coin toss you think that it's either a chance you stay in yourself or a chance you change perspective, and that's a lie. There's always both.

It becomes absolutely clear when she doesn't shut up the old Simon quickly enough.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

TGLT posted:

Yeah, I think when you're doing the diving suit to heavy suit transition she accidentally tips her hand by not muting Simon 2 fast enough. She tries to brush past it but gets called out on it. She's doing what she can to manipulate the Simons to keep them moving forward because they're the only set of people that still have working limbs and also aren't bugfuck nuts. There's earlier moments, at least I'm pretty sure although it's been a while, but that's the one that sticks out to me the most.

I did not pick up on that at the time, or even the idea that Simon would need to be manipulated to make the obvious right choice.

TGLT posted:

I'd play that.

OK that is clearly ET, all grown up.

Bogart posted:

Uhh, a horror game about scheming the nouveau riche sounds loving good. The high atmosphere horror of meaningless excess and that these people have no insides beyond the layers of Things they surround themselves with. The true horror is that some of these individuals have been subsumed by a terrible trendy tech eldritch hivemind, and they're the nice ones. Do you oust this insidious growing Otherness, knowing that they are in many ways healthier for the advance of technology and for society at large but will continue to grow and subsume individuality, let them live, help them spread?

my kickstarter will be available on the 17th

I like the idea but I'm not really sure what kind of threat these people are directly, unless its like the last scene in Society. Maybe they'd send drones after you, but that'd just be Sir You Are Being Hunted.

You could turn it around and make the huckster the villain, and either make it like Sim Fyre Festival or the beginning of Far Cry 3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

A Confederacy of Dunces is about a whiny incompetent and that's one of the greatest books of all time
There are plenty of "greatest books of all time" in a technical sense that I didn't enjoy reading in the slightest, so...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
there's also that Cleansuit pseudo-horror game where your character is an incompetent fat slob who has to survive a home invasion by a serial killer

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Okay, okay, point made. All I'm saying is that I prefer games that make me feel good about playing them. Trundling about at someone else's behest because the character can't figure out things that are blatantly obvious to anyone watching and would be too passive to get anything by himself tends to not do that. There's a reason everyone hated that Steve kid in Code Veronica.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Meallan posted:

Catherine's explanation that it was a coin toss was an intentional misdirection, I'm pretty certain. She always knew exactly what was going on, she was deeply involved in the process, and she also knew the struggles people went through accepting the copies. But by describing it as a coin toss you think that it's either a chance you stay in yourself or a chance you change perspective, and that's a lie. There's always both.

It becomes absolutely clear when she doesn't shut up the old Simon quickly enough.

Yeah. I think she does try to explain at first but when he doesn't understand she just tells him what he needs to hear to keep going.

She loses her temper with him after they launch the ark and he starts freaking out that they're still there and he calls her a liar.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

CharlestonJew posted:

there's also that Cleansuit pseudo-horror game where your character is an incompetent fat slob who has to survive a home invasion by a serial killer

Cleansuit is great, it pulls off a fantastic mix of suspense and humor.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It's October l! I have a switch and a ps4 and a pc and I'm trying to get hosed up scared what's the best spooky

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Darkwood is good and spooky and 50% off if you don't mind some crafting/survival. I /think/ it's only on PC

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Skyscraper posted:

I like the idea but I'm not really sure what kind of threat these people are directly, unless its like the last scene in Society. Maybe they'd send drones after you, but that'd just be Sir You Are Being Hunted.

You could turn it around and make the huckster the villain, and either make it like Sim Fyre Festival or the beginning of Far Cry 3.

Having one's individuality sucked out to become another living battery for the mighty tech hivemind seems pretty threatening to me. I imagine you're some sort of PI looking into a sudden personality shift. Probably closer to a talky adventure game than a FPS or walking sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Borg invasion by way of MRAs and the cult of "rationality." Now there's a vision of terror.