Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
need a murder party fan to weigh in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Season 2 of Jack Whitehall: Travels with my Father is up on Netflix. It's a really funny and charming show where Jack travels with his father, a conservative, upper crust, posh English father around Southeast Asia in season 1, and eastern Europe in season 2.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Has someone read that Hold the Dark book? How is that compared to the movie?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 2 of Jack Whitehall: Travels with my Father is up on Netflix. It's a really funny and charming show where Jack travels with his father, a conservative, upper crust, posh English father around Southeast Asia in season 1, and eastern Europe in season 2.

Oh man, that’s awesome! Season 1 was great. I loved the episode when they were given the Luk Thep doll.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh man, that’s awesome! Season 1 was great. I loved the episode when they were given the Luk Thep doll.

You're in for a treat then!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nihonniboku posted:

You're in for a treat then!

...Is the dad still carrying it around?!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

...Is the dad still carrying it around?!

Yes! And then some!

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've liked all of Jeremy Saulnier's movies up to now, including Murder Party.
Hold The Dark felt like an episode of Westworld or something (and not just because of Jeffrey Wright): good to look at , but terrible pacing, no interesting characters or plot and incredibly obsessed with simple themes that leave the whole thing feeling shallow.
Saulnier's previous movies were so good at depicting real, human characters and their reactions to escalating violence and madness, but Hold The Dark had none of that. None of the characters behaved at all like real people, and mostly just kinda whispered ominous stuff and wandered into the next scene. Outside of one scene there was no tension or narrative thrust, it's billed as a mystery but there's nothing to uncover.

Spoiler talk: The shootout was obviously the standout set piece, and while it was incredibly tense, it did nothing. It didn't reveal any new information, it didn't change the course of the plot, it didn't kill off any main characters, it just happened.
At that point I felt the movie could have really used a twist, because besides Medora being the killer which is revealed very quickly, the movie unfolds exactly like you'd expect it to. The terminator-like bad guy who just walks into every scene and kills people without any tension was really grating, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah...I was trying to to put a positive spin on it right after I watched it last night, but I pretty much agree with all of that.

Man, between this and Mute it kind of feels like two big Netflix letdowns in a row from directors I really enjoy.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

It was a toss up between Hold the Dark and Brick last night for movie night since the missus hadn’t seen either, glad she picked Brick, love that movie.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah...I was trying to to put a positive spin on it right after I watched it last night, but I pretty much agree with all of that.

Man, between this and Mute it kind of feels like two big Netflix letdowns in a row from directors I really enjoy.

I thought it was kinda weird that they both starred Alexander Skarsgard too.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

veni veni veni posted:

both also had Alexander Sarsgaard, who is at least the third-best Sarsgaard and possibly tied with Peter Sarsgaard for second-best Sarsgaard

Mullitt posted:

Spoiler talk: The shootout was obviously the standout set piece, and while it was incredibly tense, it did nothing. It didn't reveal any new information, it didn't change the course of the plot, it didn't kill off any main characters, it just happened.
At that point I felt the movie could have really used a twist, because besides Medora being the killer which is revealed very quickly, the movie unfolds exactly like you'd expect it to. The terminator-like bad guy who just walks into every scene and kills people without any tension was really grating, too.

Saulnier really has a knack for shocking violence

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember getting Brick on Netflix disc in the summer of 2007 and thinking wow this Rian Johnson is going somewhere and now he's made some amazing television and awful Star Wars.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
At first while watching Hold the Dark I really just wanted to turn it off and watch Wind River which is one of my favorite movies from last year then I came to this thread and actually got psyched to rewatch Brick. So I guess something good came from this movie...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I actually rewatched Brick recently myself. Heck of a movie, with a theme song so emotional that they had to invent a new instrument to properly convey it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mullitt posted:

I thought it was kinda weird that they both starred Alexander Skarsgard too.

Thanks to Generation Kill he has a ton of goodwill with me but he has been burning through that recently. Mute was not a good movie at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair I don’t think he gave a bad performance at all in either.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Raid and its sequel are two of my all time favorites, so I'm hoping the Netflix variable doesn't change Gareth Evans' next film, coming Oct 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1JdWOqc9Q8

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He's good in Big Little Lies although the show itself is incredibly basic.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

At first while watching Hold the Dark I really just wanted to turn it off and watch Wind River which is one of my favorite movies from last year then I came to this thread and actually got psyched to rewatch Brick. So I guess something good came from this movie...

Hold the Dark feels like a really close cousin of Wind River's, except much more moody, dark, and ambiguous. Right down to the missing children aspect.

I really like Taylor Sheridan's writing, but I do think Jeremy Saulnier has such a lock on tone that I prefer HTD.

Even though a lot of people in the thread didn't care for the movie I really hope Netflix can keep cranking these out. Apparently Saulnier made this for less than 15 million, which is just mind-blowing considering the cast. To put that in perspective, Black Panther's production budget alone was 200 million dollars. I know it's apples and oranges, but I would take 10 HTD's before a big-budget superhero movie from Netflix.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes! And then some!

Episode 2 I lost it when border patrol opened their luggage.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Hey streaming thread friends! Happy first of October!

The annual CineD October Horror Movie Challenge thread has been live for two weeks now, with 20+ pages of participation already. It's not too late to jump in the competition and watch a bunch of spooky movies with everyone. In fact, there are many participants who have waited until today to start. There are plenty of recommendations, there are new secret challenges posted a few times a week, and of course there will be prizes.

The 2nd post is actually an info-dump post with lists of horror movies on each streaming service curated by the lovely horror goons.

:spooky:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I remember getting Brick on Netflix disc in the summer of 2007 and thinking wow this Rian Johnson is going somewhere and now he's made some amazing television and awful Star Wars.

I think he also made Brothers Bloom, and I think it's on Amazon. It's a long con movie with an excellent setup in the first ten minutes that fails to deliver after that.

I'm trying to remember what I hated about it. I think there was a scene where one of the characters gets into a really sticky situation, where, in a movie about con men, you expect a clever escape. But you next see the character following their escape, and the only explanation is that they're just super awesome so don't worry about it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don’t where’s its available otherwise because I’ve only seen it as a channel on my Sling subscription, but the Tribeca Film channel has Battle Royale 1&2 on demand currently.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Even Netflix has the first BR, or it did very recently

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Netflix things, I just gave Next Gen a try. At first glance it looks like a blatant rip-off of Big Hero 6, but I was still very pleasantly surprised. Even though it was quite on the nose at times, it generally hit the right notes and was different enough in tone to not be just a boring copy of BH6. And you can really tell the animators had a whole lot of fun with the action scenes. Overall worth a watch, I'd say.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can anyone fill me in on how VRV works? Isn't one app that lets you tune into all the others? Or do you just login to all the separate apps with your VRV credentials? I subscribe to Crunchyroll and Funimation so it would be nice not to have to pay for both.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
VRV is it's own app and subscription with the Crunchyroll, Funimation, Shudder, and Mubi catalogues, plus a bunch of other channels which range from glorified youtube videos to niche hidden gems.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, VRV premium is $10/month, but Crunchyroll alone is like $7 by itself. Also, for me, there's no tax on VRV but there is on CR :thunk:

We all wished for an a la carte future and a monkey's paw curled its finger.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hm. I signed up for the trial but my desire to save money is being overridden by my desire to not give any money to Rooster Teeth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hm. I signed up for the trial but my desire to save money is being overridden by my desire to not give any money to Rooster Teeth.

Same, but The Nerdist as well

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't even see Nerdist there.

Probably gonna cancel VRV. My girlfriend uses my Crunchyroll account more than me and she's been using it on her PS3, which doesn't even have VRV.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How well does VRV work with a Chromecast?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just general awfulness or do they have a history of lovely behavior?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if you're worried about giving the dreaded CRINGEY NERDS money, rest safe in the fact that basically nobody outside of Crunchyroll, Funimation and Shudder makes loving anything off VRV

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Black Dynamite just got added to Netflix and you should watch it

Also Netflix's decision to play unrelated stock music on every movie page is weird. How is a song that sounds like the character select screen for a Jet Moto game supposed to get me in the mood for Speed Racer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Good Place wasn’t appealing to me at all but you guys talked it up so much I checked it out. I have to admit it’s pretty great .

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If Mike Schur is involved then so am I.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't even see Nerdist there.

Probably gonna cancel VRV. My girlfriend uses my Crunchyroll account more than me and she's been using it on her PS3, which doesn't even have VRV.

And she can keep using the Crunchyroll Premium on there with your VRV sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Queen Combat posted:

Yo, Hilda is fuckin' dope. I know it's a kid's show, but the narrative is completely enclosed, there are no nods to the real world. It also has really nice morals, and looks beautiful. And no fart humor or other garbage.

My son started watching it the other day and it’s really cool