Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I appreciate that Grassley is referring Kavanaugh to the FBI for perjury on items that selectively omit the huge, glaring lies Kavanaugh has spoken into congressional record under oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1046206778730373122
It’s like they put something in the water at tribfest that makes everything sound asinine.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Has any major politician ever followed through on a self term limit pledge?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

FuriousxGeorge posted:

George Washington?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Every president before TR.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Frogfingers posted:

George Washington?

Haha, forgot about the OG.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tom Coburn, he loving sucked tho

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mulva posted:

You can still hang them from the feet :colbert:

Immediate flashback to being eight years old and visiting the local butcher shop/slaughter house with my father. I watched in kind of a daze as they bolted the steer, attached it by the ankle to a chain, and raised it into the air. They slit its throat, and let the blood drain freely into a thing on the floor. From there the memory is fuzzy, except for when they removed the stomachs and the fat. Something looked like a big, shiny purple beachball. Hooray childhood!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

please do not share knowledge of the cow orb

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Wife wants to read an unbiased book on the Obama Presidency. Are there any Goon recommendations?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

My Wife wants to read an unbiased book on the Obama Presidency. Are there any Goon recommendations?

There's no such thing as "unbiased". Instead, pick a book that you know is biased so that you can keep that bias in mind while you read.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no such thing as "unbiased". Instead, pick a book that you know is biased so that you can keep that bias in mind while you read.

With that in mind, I recommend "The Roots of Obama's Rage" by Dinesh D'Souza

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SalTheBard posted:

A good unbiased look at one aspect of his Presidency is "The Assassination Complex"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What time does the NBC interview with the third accuser air?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thoguh posted:

What time does the NBC interview with the third accuser air?

What's this now? When? Where?

Is this the one represented by Avenatti?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

It also kinda depends what aspects of his presidency you want to read about. Like, do you just want to know what stuff happened, or some sort of judgement about whether some of that stuff was good/bad, etc.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

It also kinda depends what aspects of his presidency you want to read about. Like, do you just want to know what stuff happened, or some sort of judgement about whether some of that stuff was good/bad, etc.

Just the stuff he did from what she made it out like.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

What's this now? When? Where?

Is this the one represented by Avenatti?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/third-kavanaugh-accuser-julie-swetnick-interviewed-by-nbc-news

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1046807167347687428

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

"It is very unfair how women hold me responsible for the awful poo poo I do to them" says old rich White man.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Shut the gently caress up Biden.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy poo poo Joe, dude what the gently caress.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Biden is really, really bad and I'm hoping he makes sure people don't forget about it since otherwise he's going to ride Obama's coattails to a nomination. Then he'll either leave us with another term of Trump or lose in 2024 when he does nothing except continue extremely unpopular policies and moan about complainers.

Like all he does is complain about people unhappy with rich people or his lovely record.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I, for one, enjoy that Biden has gone with the bold political strategy of "actually, rich people are loving great and you can shut the gently caress up about them; and also, this woman needs to give a guy a break, I mean for God's sake, Anita, act like an adult"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Geeze how long is she gonna hold a grudge?? It's not like I did anything anyway" is an impressive thing to go for both in terms of being a sexist shitgoblin who used his power to help Republicans but also look incredibly whiny and entitled.

Whenever Biden pops out of his lair to say something stupid since 2016 all I can think of is someone else making that famous "can you believe this guy?" expression he made when debating Ryan.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 1, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's still amazing to me that there exists people who seriously think biden is going anywhere in the 2020 primary

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's still amazing to me that there exists people who seriously think biden is going anywhere in the 2020 primary

It probably shouldn't surprise you that the party leadership believes this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm terrified of it because I fear another round of Serious people circling the wagons around him after Obama endorses him and idiotic pundits deem him the most electable and therefor not supporting him is tantamount to supporting Trump. Democratic primary voters seem to still value the idea of distinguished statesmen and resumes even if that doesn't translate into general election wins. Biden winning is probably the worst thing that can happen short of Hillary running again and deciding she needs to poison the primary a third time.

Like logically he should fail like he does every time since he's garbage but it's hard to not feel dread in 2018 for stuff like him.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah a lot of the fear around Biden is explicitly centered around the possibility of him riding an Obama endorsement (complete with actual campaigning from him) through the primaries. I don't necessarily think that's going to happen (due to a combination of Obama both having a functioning brain even if his politics suck poo poo, as well as him seemingly favoring a run from DeVal Patrick much more), but it is what it is and you can put it at even odds that Biden is either running because he thinks he's going to get that support (genuinely) or because he thinks he's going to get that kind of support (egotistically). It's just that it's impossible to tell which it is until things start to shake out.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Radish posted:

Biden winning is probably the worst thing that can happen short of Hillary running again and deciding she needs to poison the primary a third time.

i mean there's cuomo, bloomberg, or emmanuel, just off the top of my head. booker is definitely running, and delaney has already declared his candidacy (although he's almost certainly doomed). biden would be awful but there's no shortage of unlikeable ghouls to his right in the democratic party.

as always, any biden (or sanders or clinton) talk should be tempered with the very real issue that septuagenarians are prone to suddenly becoming too sick or dead to run.

e: oh god, imagine the DNC lining up behind someone like tim kaine

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 2, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm not sure I'd characterize Booker as to Biden's right.

Cuomo is probably the worst outcome in terms of people who are both terrible and likely to win, at least in my opinion, with Biden as a close second.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

booker is heavily in bed with banks, even moreso than biden

he is more likeable i guess though

e: to put a finer point on this, booker generally supports the privatization of retirement funds and the shift from guaranteed benefit to guaranteed contribution, which has made private equity funds extremely rich but also enabled both complete economic apocalypse and the erosion of pensions in general. he's earned his "neoliberal" label by consistently siding with the people profiteering on retirement funds over people who hope to retire.

biden has a host of problems but booker is an enthusiastic proponent of one of the main right wing political terraforming projects of the last four-ish decades

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 2, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Cuomo is probably the worst outcome in terms of people who are both terrible and likely to win, at least in my opinion, with Biden as a close second.

Cuomo would need to win primary elections in a bunch of states his machine doesn't control

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cease to Hope posted:

e: to put a finer point on this, booker generally supports the privatization of retirement funds and the shift from guaranteed benefit to guaranteed contribution

huh, I didn't know this. Originally I had written more, I had said that I thought the two were basically par, but yeah that's pretty poo poo.

VitalSigns posted:

Cuomo would need to win primary elections in a bunch of states his machine doesn't control

lol fair.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

huh, I didn't know this. Originally I had written more, I had said that I thought the two were basically par, but yeah that's pretty poo poo.

it's a problem with pretty much anyone who is in deep with trade unions. the guaranteed contribution/private equity model also gives union leaders a shitload of leverage, in how they invest their pension fund.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, Biden is an establishment Dem from 30 years ago, Booker was grown in a vat by venture capitalists

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope Avenatti somehow gets on the debate stage and unleashes on every non Bernie candidate in that primary.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Why? Did she watch Fahrenheit 11/9?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm not really worried about Rahl or Cuomo since they have zero charisma and wouldn't survive out of their own little fiefdoms where they control everything. Bloomberg's primary strategy apparently is highlight all the poo poo everyone doesn't like about him since his ego is so off the charts he thinks everyone else just hasn't had his greatness explained well enough. If any of those three won the primary it would have to be due to literal vote manipulation so they dont scare me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Apparently all of this is just about ethics in SCOTUS journalism:

https://twitter.com/LasagnaGarden/status/1046846530374840321

• Locked thread