Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pelagianism. Also, best wishes to you tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HEY GUNS posted:

catholics: we had sinned against god the father, someone had to pay for it, that someone was god the son
orthodox: christ died, went to hell, and trashed the place. then he beat up satan.

until a couple months ago I don't think I had ever heard of the idea that Jesus went down to Hell and kicked demon rear end. i don't think my dad ever mentioned it, which surprises me because of how goony he is

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Re: Necessity of the cross.

From Luke 5--

One day, while he was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting near by (they had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem); and the power of the Lord was with him to heal. Just then some men came, carrying a paralyzed man on a bed. They were trying to bring him in and lay him before Jesus; but finding no way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles into the middle of the crowd in front of Jesus. When he saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven you."

God can, and does, forgive sins whenever God wishes. Well before there was a crucified messiah. Ergo, the cross isn't necessary. BUT God so loves humanity, and desires communion with Creation, that God was always going to be incarnate among us. And humans are so lovely, that given the presence of a holy and loving God in their midst, humanity will always try to kill that God. The incarnation and the cross weren't necessary-- but they were inevitable.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

until a couple months ago I don't think I had ever heard of the idea that Jesus went down to Hell and kicked demon rear end. i don't think my dad ever mentioned it, which surprises me because of how goony he is

Yeah I think penal substiutionary theology is so pervasive and emphasized in Protestantism that the Harrowing of Hell is barely mentioned. Honestly I hadn't had much exposure to it until speaking with HEY GUNS.

Personally I think the Jesus who stormed into the temple swinging an improvised whip and turning over the tables of the money-changers, then descended into Hell to gently caress up demons is incredibly badass.

The Protestant (and especially Evangelical) emphasis on the relatively passive martyrdom of Christ does a disservice to His more assertive acts.

WerrWaaa posted:

Re: Necessity of the cross.

From Luke 5--

One day, while he was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting near by (they had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem); and the power of the Lord was with him to heal. Just then some men came, carrying a paralyzed man on a bed. They were trying to bring him in and lay him before Jesus; but finding no way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles into the middle of the crowd in front of Jesus. When he saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven you."

God can, and does, forgive sins whenever God wishes. Well before there was a crucified messiah. Ergo, the cross isn't necessary. BUT God so loves humanity, and desires communion with Creation, that God was always going to be incarnate among us. And humans are so lovely, that given the presence of a holy and loving God in their midst, humanity will always try to kill that God. The incarnation and the cross weren't necessary-- but they were inevitable.

Is there a name for a heresy or school of thought where I don't necessarily believe in Original Sin but do believe humans are inevitably disposed toward sinfulness. I think that might align more with Orthodox views? That is, I'm inclined to believe that we are born in a sinless and pure state, but by our nature we will sin and stray from God.

edit: it's cool that Anglicanism (and ELCA Lutheranism to a somewhat lesser extent) is tolerant of a diversity of theological beliefs. Because I doubt I fit well into anything.

I mean, I'd be willing to consider Orthodoxy if it was more LGBTQ-friendly but that's kind of a non-starter :smith: Plus it's nonexistent where I live, having a faith community is incredibly important.

I realize HEY GUNS identifies as somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, but I don't get the strong commitment from the Orthodox community that I would be comfortable with, personally.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 2, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Is there a name for a heresy or school of thought where I don't necessarily believe in Original Sin but do believe humans are inevitably disposed toward sinfulness. I think that might align more with Orthodox views? That is, I'm inclined to believe that we are born in a sinless and pure state, but by our nature we will sin and stray from God.

it sounds like you pretty much believe in original sin tho

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it sounds like you pretty much believe in original sin tho

...no

As I understand it, Original Sin in most contexts refers to the idea that we are all born bearing the sins of Adam. We're sinners at birth.

I am more inclined to believe that we are born sinless and pure, because God created us in His image. However, we are human and inevitably will sin. So, we are born without sin but we're human and are destined to live a sinful life which corrupts our innately sinless origin.

It's a fine distinction, but I believe we all start out pure and are doomed to slide toward sinfulness, rather than we're born sinful and that is our fundamental nature.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah i meant that you basically believe in 99% of the accepted version, just one part you have a problem with

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

...no

As I understand it, Original Sin in most contexts refers to the idea that we are all born bearing the sins of Adam. We're sinners at birth.

I am more inclined to believe that we are born sinless and pure, because God created us in His image. However, we are human and inevitably will sin. So, we are born without sin but we're human and are destined to live a sinful life which corrupts our innately sinless origin.

It's a fine distinction, but I believe we all start out pure and are doomed to slide toward sinfulness, rather than we're born sinful and that is our fundamental nature.
Adam wasn't a real person, so he didn't commit any sins for us to inherit.

The story of the Fall is an attempt by ancient people to explain the observation that everyone seems to be born with an inherent tendency to sin.

Exactly why we all inherently want to sin is up for debate. I would argue that a baby born on an island and raised by wolves would still be sinful, because he is human and sinfulness goes with being human. Sin is not something you catch from the environment.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah i meant that you basically believe in 99% of the accepted version, just one part you have a problem with

nuance matters

Deteriorata posted:

Adam wasn't a real person, so he didn't commit any sins for us to inherit.

The story of the Fall is an attempt by ancient people to explain the observation that everyone seems to be born with an inherent tendency to sin.

Exactly why we all inherently want to sin is up for debate. I would argue that a baby born on an island and raised by wolves would still be sinful, because he is human and sinfulness goes with being human. Sin is not something you catch from the environment.

Okay, but my understanding of Original Sin is that it's hereditary: you are born carrying the sins of Adam. Humans are not merely inclined toward sinful behavior, we are born in a state of sin.

I agree that humans are fundamentally and inexorably inclined to sin. We're sinners, we're gonna do sin. But, I take issue that with the idea that we are born bearing congenital sin. Are we born sinful or is sin merely our inevitable path as humans? I'm inclined to believe the latter.

edit: I guess to rephrase this, are we born in a state of sin (separation from God*) or are we born with a propensity to sinful behavior?

*That's the most satisfying definition of sin I've encountered: that which separates us from God and righteousness.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 2, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ok its october does anyone else have strong opinions about apples

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

So what you're saying is, even Moses understood that Minnesota is great? I'm on board.

(Honeycrisp apples were developed at the University of Minnesota's apple breeding program)

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gala and Granny Smith!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honeycrisps are the best apple, but Fuji apples are also very good.

Apples in general are one of the proofs of God's love for creation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thank you both.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
golden delicious and red delicious are garbage

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pellisworth posted:

golden delicious and red delicious are garbage

It has to be some kind of plot to call the worst apples 'delicious'.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

So what you're saying is, even Moses understood that Minnesota is great? I'm on board.

(Honeycrisp apples were developed at the University of Minnesota's apple breeding program)

ahem you really ought not to be calling Minnesota "great" even if it is, that's poor form

it's alright, not too bad, ya'know?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I was recently reminded of the one joke I heard probably 20 times from my theology teachers in college. I suspect all theology majors in English speaking countries have heard it.

"Why were the priests in Jesus' time sad? Because they were sadducee!"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I'm going to be selfish and ask that you pray for me. I fail in patience and in love more often than I'd like to. My father is very ill and it's wearing me down. I could use some strength.

Peace be with you, my friend. I've found both patience and love to be a practice. The moments when you fail may also be teaching you something unavoidable about the nature of patience and love. I believe you will get better at it, as asking for help is a positive indicator of genuine practice. May you and your father find relief and strength.

Pershing posted:

ALSO, my next chemo round is tomorrow. Please give me your intentions so I can pray on them while I'm sitting.

On my behalf, please add another prayer for your health and happiness. And what do you want me to pray for when I sit with little else to do?

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I was recently reminded of the one joke I heard probably 20 times from my theology teachers in college. I suspect all theology majors in English speaking countries have heard it.

It's Sadducee us come to this point.

Night10194 posted:

Honeycrisps are the best apple, but Fuji apples are also very good.

Apples in general are one of the proofs of God's love for creation.

I can think of at least one apple that's been highly problematic for humanity thus far, though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

you're an honorary Lutheran for that dad joke

modern Lutheranism is a faith based in equal parts on liturgical shitposting and dad jokes

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

The others seem to go out of their way to give everyone a break - they're fair, I see.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The others seem to go out of their way to give everyone a break - they're fair, I see.

Do you need an ark?

I Noah guy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Caufman posted:

I can think of at least one apple that's been highly problematic for humanity thus far, though.

I like how nearly every plausible answer for "what kind of fruit was the forbidden fruit" is based on a pun in the corresponding linguistic / cultural context.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
What do you get if you fart in your wallet?

Gas money.

Okay, I'm sorry, I'll stop.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Pellisworth posted:

you're an honorary Lutheran for that dad joke

modern Lutheranism is a faith based in equal parts on liturgical shitposting and dad jokes

Pellisworth posted:

Do you need an ark?

I Noah guy.

:hfive:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

ahem you really ought not to be calling Minnesota "great" even if it is, that's poor form

it's alright, not too bad, ya'know?

it is kind of woven into the Minnesota culture of Europeans who moved here, this type of understatement. this is relevant to this thread because all the Germans and Nordic people and various other ethnicities who moved here often did so because of their Christian beliefs. when you ask a pale Minnesotan how they are doing, two of the common answers you get are "not too bad" or "not too good". this is because we are incapable of making ourselves out to be important, so comparison to an actual thing while making ourselves lesser is a common rhetorical device

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it is kind of woven into the Minnesota culture of Europeans who moved here, this type of understatement. this is relevant to this thread because all the Germans and Nordic people and various other ethnicities who moved here often did so because of their Christian beliefs. when you ask a pale Minnesotan how they are doing, two of the common answers you get are "not too bad" or "not too good". this is because we are incapable of making ourselves out to be important, so comparison to an actual thing while making ourselves lesser is a common rhetorical device

Janteloven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

Our friend Tias certainly has a more direct experience with those cultural dynamics, but you're correct in that they largely were transmitted to Scandinavian-American communities.

It's very rude and improper to talk yourself up or boast about your family situation.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The Jante-law was written by a Norwegian artist, and there's a great deal of debate about whether it applies to Danish society any longer.

Certainly, rural danes, particularly in Jylland, have a tendency to never state things too forcefully, as to not appear arrogant, but I wouldn't necessarily say they are more or less arrogant than others for that reason.

It's extremely common for Danish celebrities to say they poo poo on the jante-law, and in general our society seems full of arrogance and attention whoring, so I'm not really sure it's applicable any longer.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
We do not believe people are born innocent. We believe people are born with the inherited tendency to sin, and may also be menaced or influenced by demons/evil spirits then, it's why they exorcise you at baptism. The saying is "everyone is a convert to Orthodoxy."

Pellisworth posted:

I mean, I'd be willing to consider Orthodoxy if it was more LGBTQ-friendly but that's kind of a non-starter :smith: Plus it's nonexistent where I live, having a faith community is incredibly important.

I realize HEY GUNS identifies as somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, but I don't get the strong commitment from the Orthodox community that I would be comfortable with, personally.
i would love it if you became orthodox. I would be overjoyed if you stood next to me at church and came up with me to the chalice, instead of just the first bit.

but if a dealbreaker is being easily able to find people in the same, i don't know, entire tri-state area...in the US this is difficult. You end up going to church in storefronts a lot. I consider it an act of God's mercy toward me that I have been within walking distance of a church everywhere I've moved to

as i may have mentioned, i'm on the internet a lot because that's the only way i can talk to other Orthodox a lot of the time

And the queer thing varies from the placid non-issue acceptance of me to...well, they throw people off buildings in Georgia. I hope one day this will change. One of our big figures, Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, recently came out in favor of gay marriage. Partly it's the words used, which signify different cultural contexts for the same acts--if you say "LGBTQ" or "gender" then that's evil western ideologies corrupting our pure land, but if you described me and never said the word trans, then they're fine. (The instant you used that word I bet they'd flip out.) As it is now though, my life might be a little similar to the lives these people had when they were young:
https://www.gq.com/story/burrnesha-albanian-women-living-as-men
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/world/europe/23iht-virgins.4.13927949.html
i kind of don't like the exoticizing tone of a lot of these writings, though. They're old men, let them live their lives, GQ. Cripes.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 2, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

...no

That's not the most common understanding of Original Sin, to be honest. I think you might accidentally (?) believe what the Catechism teaches.

quote:

By his sin Adam, as the first man, lost the original holiness and justice he had received from God, not only for himself but for all humans.

Adam and Eve transmitted to their descendants human nature wounded by their own first sin and hence deprived of original holiness and justice; this deprivation is called "original sin".

As a result of original sin, human nature is weakened in its powers, subject to ignorance, suffering and the domination of death, and inclined to sin (this inclination is called "concupiscence").

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

shame on an IGA posted:

The best apple is the Cox's Orange Pippin. People over-rate the fuji because it is pretty.

Controversial opinion incoming: the golden delicious actually isn't that bad an apple. It gets a bad rap because people connect it in their mind with the red delicious, which is a loving travesty.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I don't remember which author put it this way, and all my Catholic apologetics books are still in a box, three years after moving, but one of them described two depictions of original sin this way:

1) Adam and Eve started out tied with Satan, then God gave Adam and Eve one point, and then they scored an own goal. Result: the game is tied. None of us have the advantage they did, and we all inherit the tendency to score own goals, sometimes lots of them.
2) Adam and Eve started out tied with Satan, then they scored an own goal and God set the score to -1 to 1. Result: the human team is not only behind, but impossibly behind. Somebody's taped a giant negative sign next to our side of the scoreboard.

When Catholics say that Mary wasn't affected by original sin, we mean "she started out tied with Satan, like we did, but she didn't have the tendency to score own goals, like we do, so she never ended up behind," not "all of us started out evil, but she didn't."

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Caufman posted:

On my behalf, please add another prayer for your health and happiness. And what do you want me to pray for when I sit with little else to do?

For the intercession of Mary Untier of Knots and the intercession of St. Peregrine, please!

Prayers sent!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This weekend I'm going to a conference for Orthodox young adults in Atlanta, and I thought the thread would be interested to know about the party they're having on Saturday. The theme? Silly hats.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Keromaru5 posted:

This weekend I'm going to a conference for Orthodox young adults in Atlanta, and I thought the thread would be interested to know about the party they're having on Saturday. The theme? Silly hats.

Suddenly considering Orthodox as an option.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask Hell > liturgical christianity thread: the theme? silly hats

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hitting the highlights of the worst of Catholic reasoning

https://twitter.com/inflammateomnia/status/1047182964663234560

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Don't christians in general assume people of good hearts and intentions go to heaven even if separated from their particular sect? Or am I giving folks too much credit here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It depends on the sect/denomination/Christian.

Soteriology changes a lot.