Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We don’t throw away phones, we use them until they break or stop getting security updates. So the Android One thing is attractive on the Nokia.

E: or until the battery shits the bed, but I’m getting a power bank for her to keep in her purse.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has Motorola been caught putting spyware on there? I know other companies have. That might sway her so I can convince her to get the Nokia.
Well they're owned by the company that used a rootkit to put shady unremovable software that phones home to China on their laptops so :cheerdoge:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We don’t throw away phones, we use them until they break

That's what "throwaway" means

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Just got a Note 9 and the first thing I did was set it up with all the same apps like my iPhone. Lots of things that're slightly different but so far it's been pretty cool.

Sorry for the noob questions but:

- does everyone create a Samsung account or do most people just roll with the Google stuff?
- is there a way to re-map the Bixby button?
-is there a quicker way to swap between apps other than pressing the split screen button?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

azzenco posted:

Just got a Note 9 and the first thing I did was set it up with all the same apps like my iPhone. Lots of things that're slightly different but so far it's been pretty cool.

- does everyone create a Samsung account or do most people just roll with the Google stuff?
-is there a quicker way to swap between apps other than pressing the split screen button?

1. Google
2. Yes, a bunch of apps do that
3. Double tap it (works like Alt tab, instantly switches to the previous app). If you want to go further, tapping and scrolling is the only way.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

azzenco posted:

1 - you should, it's another free backup AND it backs up a bit more than Google's offering. Need it for themes and stuff too.
2 - bxactions - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.bxactions
3 - answered fully above

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

October update is out and it's supposed to fix the OG Pixel and Pixel XL fast charging issues.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

azzenco posted:

It's not an either/or thing, you should have both a Samsung and Google account to use your phone to its full potential.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

That's what "throwaway" means

Definitely does not mean that.

As dog poo poo as the camera is on the g6. It does run smoothly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Definitely does not mean that.

As dog poo poo as the camera is on the g6. It does run smoothly.

Yes, it does. It means you would make no attempt to repair it or repurpose it, you'd dispose of it when its utility has been served. What else could it possibly mean? That one throws it away while they're still using it?

That's not even the point. The point is the woman, who is presumably an adult, has a preference for what she has a preference for. This isn't some priceless heirloom, it's a cheap-as-they-come phone to be replaced at the first sign of trouble. How is the conversation longer than:

"I want a Motorola"
"The nerds say you should get the Nokia"
"OK" or "I still want a Motorola"

?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My wife desperately needs a new phone, since the one she picked up at the MetroPCS store is hot garbage. She wants to go back to Motorola since she loved her G4 so much. What’s the best option right now for mid priced? Preferably $300 or less. It seems like the G6 plus doesn’t work with US carriers, so it’s probably the G6 or X4? It seems like with the phone being a year old, the X4 running on Android One wouldn’t be a big thing since the G6 will probably be updated about as long.

She wants a good camera and good battery life, even though she’ll still probably complain about how often you have to charge it, just like every other smartphone.

I'm very happy with my Nokia 6.1 after a few months of ownership. Battery life is very good and the camera is mostly good, struggles with low-light a little bit. It's also very solid feeling without being heavy. My only real gripe is the lack of good/varied cases and the speaker being on the bottom is...a strange place for it.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Yes, it does. It means you would make no attempt to repair it or repurpose it, you'd dispose of it when its utility has been served. What else could it possibly mean? That one throws it away while they're still using it?

I've never seen it used that way, it doesn't make any sense that way. If you're going to use something until it stops working, why would you even quantify it with the word throwaway? "Hey guys this is my throwaway bed, I just got it and plan on using it for the next 10 years!"

Throwaway denotes buying some cheap poo poo until you can get back to your real version or perhaps until you can afford a better version, etc. Like "Hey guys my phone just broke and I'm waiting until the Pixel 3 comes out so I need a throwaway phone for a few weeks in the mean time" or "drat I left my good USB cables at home so I'm going top at 7-11 and grab a $1 throwaway cable in the meantime". The dude isn't looking for a burner or trap phone to use temporarily for his weed sales this month.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

I've never seen it used that way, it doesn't make any sense that way. If you're going to use something until it stops working, why would you even quantify it with the word throwaway? "Hey guys this is my throwaway bed, I just got it and plan on using it for the next 10 years!"

Throwaway denotes buying some cheap poo poo until you can get back to your real version or perhaps until you can afford a better version, etc. Like "Hey guys my phone just broke and I'm waiting until the Pixel 3 comes out so I need a throwaway phone for a few weeks in the mean time" or "drat I left my good USB cables at home so I'm going top at 7-11 and grab a $1 throwaway cable in the meantime". The dude isn't looking for a burner or trap phone to use temporarily for his weed sales this month.

That's exactly how I meant it, it's cheap poo poo to use for now. How far $200 gets you or needs to get you varies from person to person but when it comes to phones it's solidly on the "Don't expect much" end of the spectrum which is exactly why if there's something she wants, why not get that?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Got a note 9, and somehow it corrupted the SD card I used in my previous phone. I think something happened with a music file I was trying to transfer, causing it to get cut off part way and creating a phantom file that takes up no space or something.

Now the phone says the SD card is corrupt and that it needs to be setup, but the format freezes at 20% before erroring out with something like Command 169 volume partition failled 179:0 null or something like that. If I access it on a PC, it shows the files on the card but doesn't let me format it or error fix in any way without locking up indefinitely.

Should I toss this SD card in the trash? How could I fix this sort of problem?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BabyRyoga posted:

Got a note 9, and somehow it corrupted the SD card I used in my previous phone. I think something happened with a music file I was trying to transfer, causing it to get cut off part way and creating a phantom file that takes up no space or something.

Now the phone says the SD card is corrupt and that it needs to be setup, but the format freezes at 20% before erroring out with something like Command 169 volume partition failled 179:0 null or something like that. If I access it on a PC, it shows the files on the card but doesn't let me format it or error fix in any way without locking up indefinitely.

I have the same problem with my 32gb card I have in my Moto E (2nd gen). It stopped working around the time I got my Oneplus 3T so I never bothered to figure it out :(

Someone pls help it's the only micro SD card I have lol

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tried opening disk management (right click start in w10) and deleting the partition on it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google just released a new 'Aqua' Google home mini, so that's almost certainly going to be the third color for the Pixel 3.

Yawn. Coral would have been so much better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My wife desperately needs a new phone, since the one she picked up at the MetroPCS store is hot garbage. She wants to go back to Motorola since she loved her G4 so much. What’s the best option right now for mid priced? Preferably $300 or less. It seems like the G6 plus doesn’t work with US carriers, so it’s probably the G6 or X4? It seems like with the phone being a year old, the X4 running on Android One wouldn’t be a big thing since the G6 will probably be updated about as long.

She wants a good camera and good battery life, even though she’ll still probably complain about how often you have to charge it, just like every other smartphone.

Nokia 6.1

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
help I'm seriously considering a OP6

reviews are good, especially the high quality ones like Anandtech

Hilarious updates to come (?)

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
have you considered a modicum of self control op?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Remember that time an OP released and everyone was super excited and had high hopes and then they were fantastically let down?

Oh...that was every release.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vyst posted:

Remember that time an OP released and everyone was super excited and had high hopes and then they were fantastically let down?

Is this actually true though. People seem to enjoy One Plus phones a lot.

I know, crazy but true

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

vyst posted:

Remember that time an android released and everyone was super excited and had high hopes and then they were fantastically let down?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I know, crazy but true

The people that like OnePlus phones are the ones that don't care about updates or support, and are just fine with the device they are handed. There's nothing inherently wrong with that - it's your money do with it what you will, but when I use the metaphorical everyone I generally mean the more technically inclined that has a passion for security, and software updates.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
but you’re using an android

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LastInLine posted:

That's exactly how I meant it, it's cheap poo poo to use for now. How far $200 gets you or needs to get you varies from person to person but when it comes to phones it's solidly on the "Don't expect much" end of the spectrum which is exactly why if there's something she wants, why not get that?

Our Moto G4s would probably last to this day, but nobody around here did screen repair for them. So I got a new phone when my job paid for it, and then my wife got a new one because it was already a year and a half and hers was actually malfunctioning rather than having a cracked but functional screen. Now I’ve got an Otterbox Defender (that desperately needs a new rubber outer layer) and I’m getting her new phone a case and a screen protector. Security updates will last another two+ years, at which point it will be old enough that it won’t be worth repairing and I’ll want to get another phone anyway because of security.

Some cheap phones are just fine these days, not sure what you have against them.

Let’s be honest, how long do you tend to go between upgrades? I’m going to guess it’s not more than two years.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My phone (pixel 1) is doing a thing where it vibrates seemingly at random. Like it's getting a notification but i can't tell what's triggering it at all and nothing is showing up in the notification bar. Any ideas?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pi now shows recent notifications under Settings-Apps & Notifications-Notifications. Check there to see if there was a notification that you don't recall seeing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Had that where WiFi was extraordinarily lovely. Finally caught it in the act and it turned out to be a notification asking me whether this access point should be ignored in the future because it had no internet connection. Which then auto-resolved because the ap actually did have internet access, it was just slow as poo poo.

Alternatively, maybe location based reminders you set up in the past? I did some of those and until this day I have no idea where to find them to delete them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Try the official SD card formatting tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

In my experience it tends to work even when Windows gets confused by the state of the card.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

My phone (pixel 1) is doing a thing where it vibrates seemingly at random. Like it's getting a notification but i can't tell what's triggering it at all and nothing is showing up in the notification bar. Any ideas?

Do you have anything that sets your phone to silent based on some event/time/whatever? It does a short vibration when that happens.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I know, crazy but true
I had a OP3T and a OP5 and they were both miles better than this piece of poo poo Galaxy S9+

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Is your phone on vibrate and you're activating the camera with the double power press? I've done that before. The camera will vibrate when you turn it on through the hard key shortcut.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Stan Taylor posted:

It's called foreplay

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

vyst posted:

The people that like OnePlus phones are the ones that don't care about updates or support, and are just fine with the device they are handed. There's nothing inherently wrong with that - it's your money do with it what you will, but when I use the metaphorical everyone I generally mean the more technically inclined that has a passion for security, and software updates.

My 6 is on sept security and is already on pie :confused:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

Pull the notification log, I've had issues where I got alerted on the phone then it pulled the notification (like say, for an Email).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vyst posted:

OnePlus 6 got Android Pie like two weeks ago. I think they even committed to giving Pie to the Oneplus 3/3T which would mean it got like 3 major versions of Android updates, a loving miracle in Android land.

I mean I get it, I have a Pixel 2 XL myself. But come on scro lmao

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is the one plus 6t still poo poo? That tear drop notch looks a lot better than the pixel's double decker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

6t has been confirmed to lack wireless charging and any waterproofing and the CEO said that there was "a cost" associated with the in display fingerprint reader.

So, expect the 6t to be higher in price than the outgoing model while still lacking features that people skewered Google for 2 years ago.

NEVER SETTLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is the one plus 6t still poo poo? That tear drop notch looks a lot better than the pixel's double decker.

The 6T gets a much nicer looking notch in exchange for an unproven in-screen fingerprint reader. And no headphone jack or wireless charging for no good reason. You just can't win.

:sigh: