Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Was that video in 3d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
drat, I just started collecting orks, but now I'm out of things to paint and build. Should I wait til the Codex drops to pick up any more models, or is there a sure thing I should get between now and then? (I'm flush with Boyz atm)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

drat, I just started collecting orks, but now I'm out of things to paint and build. Should I wait til the Codex drops to pick up any more models, or is there a sure thing I should get between now and then? (I'm flush with Boyz atm)

What a silly question

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fake James posted:

The facial expressions on that guy in the Leaks Dept towards the end of the video cracked me right the gently caress up

I want to believe that they actually did that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That video came out so fast it makes me think they were behind the leak in the first place.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That video came out so fast it makes me think they were behind the leak in the first place.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

You should definitely get all my metal Tankbustas and Burna Boyz.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Your guess is as good as anyone's. That won't stop you from giving mine.

If you have boyz, I assume that includes grots. If not, mind that while they'll still suck, they will also be cheap and come with a grab back of utility. Some sort of screen rule for orks.

Personally, I hope GW thinks about it for a second and decides to make gretchin the only codex Troops choice in the game without objective secured. A troop model has too high a baseline value in 8th for holding objectives, such that grots can't be properly priced as the worthless gits they are.

Dreads and kans are kewl, but I bet they'll suffer from the same problem that all (non-FW) dreads do in this edition of being over costed relative to their suitability and ability to actually accomplish anything on the table.

My bet for unit that's going to be effective? Big Gunz. They're mind mindbogglingly expensive on a $ to points basis right now. There are a few instances of GW making these kinds of really expensive (monetarily) units extremely good in 8th edition. I'm sure they'd love every ork player to buy 12 at $46 each. As well, GW has also said this will be the best Ork codex ever which means they have to surpass Ork's 2nd edition codex which was peak wacky effects from ork big guns.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
^^^ Hell yeah, thanks for the advice. I've got 20 something grots but obviously need more. The Big Gunz look cool, any specific recommendation?

Also, is there a good Warboss I should grab? I've got a Weirdboy as my HQ but a Boss seems smart.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

You should definitely get all my metal Tankbustas and Burna Boyz.

Honestly? I'm not against this

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's impossible to say what is or isn't going to work. I like Biker Warbosses, but until the codex drops it's impossible say what's best. Except boyz. Always more boyz.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The Big Gunz look cool, any specific recommendation?

No one knows what the effects will be. Hopefully not the index effects because those aren't great. Since they're all the same box, magnetization is the only way to go.

There's a new Warboss on a bike. It looks pretty awesome but who knows if it'll be any good. Because really the only safe advice is this:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's impossible to say what is or isn't going to work. I like Biker Warbosses, but until the codex drops it's impossible say what's best. Except boyz. Always more boyz.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
As someone currently assembling genestealer cult in the total fuckin dark, just get stuff you think is cool. If you only base your spending decisions on what’s got the best ratio of make believe numbers, you’ll end up selling it anyway when the numbers go down in the next faq.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Bikers rule. Flash gitz and deff dreds are so bad they can only get better. Da jumping mega armored nobz is always hilarious.

Buy fun poo poo. Stick stuff on it. Convert WW2 models into tanks, trucks, and fighters.

Who (really) cares if it's competitive against meta lists (Magtarion, soup knights even post FAQ, altaioc flyers). Do poo poo you think is fun.

I play Emperor's Children, and they're not great. But they're fun. Same for plasmaspam Dark Angels, Drukhari (who are good now that they have a codex, but usually spend multiple editions without one, etc)

If you wanted to play consistently meta, you'd just buy Eldar.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Badablack posted:

As someone currently assembling genestealer cult in the total fuckin dark, just get stuff you think is cool. If you only base your spending decisions on what’s got the best ratio of make believe numbers, you’ll end up selling it anyway when the numbers go down in the next faq.

When I restated, I thought Space Marine Centurions looked really cool. I was saved only because I determined that Dark Angels can't take them.

So instead I bought a bunch of Terminators. That are now subject to the rule of 3, so they'd be a pain to field even if they weren't terrible.

In short, buy stuff that's cool - but before dropping $85 on an early purchase, it's okay to wait and find out if it's groin punchingly bad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If it is just have fun painting them. I'm currently painting a bunch of Blood Angels Assault Terminators and even though they're godawful they're still cool as hell.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

^^^ Hell yeah, thanks for the advice. I've got 20 something grots but obviously need more. The Big Gunz look cool, any specific recommendation?

Also, is there a good Warboss I should grab? I've got a Weirdboy as my HQ but a Boss seems smart.

Honestly? I'm not against this

If you want to go down the Dakka path get at least 3-6 big gun kannons and 3-4 mek-gun kustom mega kannons.
Mek Guns are stupid expensive to buy an individual kit for, however https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTgRLlOUQpA this video has some good kit bashing instuctions to make many guns out of a mek-gun kit and a trukk kit.
Kromlech have some cool Ork themed kannons, but if you play in GW stores at all you would be better off to get some spare battlewagon kannon bits and kitbash them with a trukk instead.
The upcomming Dakka Dakka Dakka rule should make ork artillery a bit better but it's good already.

While Ork artillery is pretty decent and you can really spam the Christ out of them, never forget the Golden Ork Rule: Boys before toys! What this means is that you have to have enough boys on the table to get the job done on their own and play the attrition game. If your artillery and lootaz effectively vanish turn 1 do you have enough boys to push through and win/draw anyway? Bare minimum at 1500 points I've found is 100 boys. 3x30 squads and a 10 to mob up for da jump. As for grots they make a decent deep strike denier so spread them around as a buffer to keep crisis suits and death company from operating with impunity(much harder to do with death company, they will wreck 100 boys turn 1 if you can't effectively buffer them.) so 3 squads of 10 grots is the minimum i find. They are also excellent for filling out detachment troop slots and camping objectives.

A warboss is tough and lets the boys around him advance and charge, so he's going to be mandatory in most games. I use a vanilla Warboss with the +1 attack trait and the 'eadwhoppa killchoppa in games up to 1500pts. if I'm playing 1850+ or using a lot of stormboys a Warboss on a bike with a powerfist/eadwhoppa is my go to. A bikeboss can usually keep up with the stormboys and enables a suicide free advance+charge.

Unless the new codex nerfs mob rule or increases the cost of boys this should stay a solid core to play around.

Additionally:
Always take 2 Weirdboys, one with da jump and the other with warpath but be careful of the boys bonus unless you are supercharging some smites.
Always take a KFF big mek.
Always upgrade your boyz with a Nob and give them a Power Klaw.
Always take a Waaagh! banner

Never take burna boys.
Never take flash gitz.
Never take bikers.
Never play against Blood Angels.

And don't forget to bring at least 120 dice and a bucket to roll them out of.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
dang, looks lole my lgs has mek gunz for 37 bucks--hell of a deal from what i gather.gonna grab one and apparently 100000 more boyz

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you're doing your own chapter then don't worry too much about what to actually play, since every option out there lets you bring most of the Primaris line (Deathwatch don't get Ancients, Watch Captains in Gravis Armor, or Lieutenants, ). If you play Deathwatch then the only conversion you'd need to make is to add a Custodes Spear to someone to make them a Watch Master. It's a fairly easy conversion that I think looks great. I'm not aware of any tournaments that ban people from fielding armies that aren't the traditional color scheme so long as it's obvious. For example if you just took a Gravis Captain and said he was a Watch Master it might be okay, but if you give him a Custodes Spear it's far less likely to be questioned. Basically think about how someone who isn't familiar with your army would react.

It's good to hear the regular tourney environment isn't super weird about count as, that ruling about successor chapters had me worried. Your purple Deathwatch look amazing! I suppose I'll try both DW and nilla marines and not really worry about it for collecting cool models. Most of my test lists with DW are just using watch captains and not the master, so I shouldn't even have to worry about a conversion to start. It seems to me my best option is simply to invest in a different imperial faction to take on different threats, and let my marines be the infantry grinders they are. I'll also take any excuse to collect a variety of tanks and stompy robots anyway, and I did still want to build a guard army to complement them.

My main problem with aggressors is frankly that they're kind of derpy fatmarines, but they do seem effective. Is it so much to ask for plain ol primaris terminators?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

krursk posted:

Never take bikers.

Forget that. Bikers are friggin sweet and I'll run them no matter how bad they are.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Floppychop posted:

Forget that. Bikers are friggin sweet and I'll run them no matter how bad they are.

Then run them as squads of 3-5 biker Nobz with kombi-skorchas and powa-stabbaz(apparently not allowed) big choppas ya git. Just think of the jousting flame spewing conversion opportunities.

krursk fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 2, 2018

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm just glad we finally get fiends. That are not finecast. And probably not single pose.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GoLambo posted:

It's good to hear the regular tourney environment isn't super weird about count as, that ruling about successor chapters had me worried. Your purple Deathwatch look amazing! I suppose I'll try both DW and nilla marines and not really worry about it for collecting cool models. Most of my test lists with DW are just using watch captains and not the master, so I shouldn't even have to worry about a conversion to start. It seems to me my best option is simply to invest in a different imperial faction to take on different threats, and let my marines be the infantry grinders they are. I'll also take any excuse to collect a variety of tanks and stompy robots anyway, and I did still want to build a guard army to complement them.

My main problem with aggressors is frankly that they're kind of derpy fatmarines, but they do seem effective. Is it so much to ask for plain ol primaris terminators?

Remove the helmet like I did and the Gravis Armour looks a lot better.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

krursk posted:

Never take flash gitz.
Never take bikers.

Whew, some bad Ork takes in the thread.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
I finally played some competitive games of 8th edition, and I've got a brief battle report from the 40k Doubles Tournament at Guardcon (Auckland NZ), with teams fielding pairs of 800 point armies.

This event was using Eternal War missions from the rulebook and Chapter Approved, with no Objective cards, and was not using the FAQ beta rules I think? My teammate and I were some beautifully painted Deathguard and my shamefully incomplete Tau respectively.

Because we were just fielding finished models that we liked, our lists were mostly bad. We spent some time before the tournament looking through the missions and coming up with a general strategy for objective play, aiming to make the most of the units at our disposal to squeak by with some victories on points.

I could write up some hammy reports for 5(!) whole doubles games, but that might be a bit of a drag, especially with our poor list building. Instead I've got a brief summary of the event, and some standout units on our end and our opponents. My teammate's army was mostly Plague Marines with a Hellbrute and Demon Prince, while I ran Breachers/Pathfinders as my infantry core, some Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits and a Coldstar.

The missions were actually a lot better to play than we were expecting, with only one Kill Points game (Dominate and Destroy). The format had a strict time limit on games, and with a lot of newbies most games were lucky to complete a second turn for both sides. Short games really messed up our plans to get Deathguard to objectives, but we adjusted in the latter half to get some objectives within their reach. Going second in 4 out of 5 games, we actually made a lot of points by setting the end state of the game, which helped offset the turn 1 disadvantage a bit. Some games would have seen us tabled with infinite time, but with games ending where they did our end record was 3 Draws and 2 Victories, far better than we expected our lists to do.

Our vehicles (Hellbrute and a Transport Devilfish) both had great games, with the former ignored in most games, getting to use its lascannons and punches to devastating effect. The Devilfish, on the other hand, drew enormous amounts of fire and survived the first turn only on the game that we had the first turn. This didn't actually go very well for our opponents, but it was an oddly consistent failure of target priority. I think people wanted to get to the Breachers, but those aren't very expensive or good either?

We saw an awesomely modeled Necron army on movement trays with squads of warriors differentiated by complimentary Gauss Coils (3x 15 Necron squads), wich made playing against them really fun. We concentrated fire but ended up with 2 warriors standing in one of those squads and the reanimation protocols were epic.

A Demon Prince of Nurgle with the Suppurating Plate and Revoltingly(?) Resilient is very hard to kill. On some occasions we messed up positioning and the enemy pounced, only to have horrifying amounts of damage negated. The relic armor also killed an enemy warlord with a splashback mortal wound, giving us the points we needed for one of those Draws. Certainly the MVP on our side. Plague Marines deserve a mention as well, in cover they held critical objectives (that they could reach) and refused to die in every game but one, where they were shot repeatedly by a baneblade.

Leaning into our defensive focus, I spend my 4 meagre command points more often than not, on Neuroweb System Jammer. Giving a specific unit -1 in the shooting phase often gave us just enough defense to survive some really gross turn one attacks, and was still useful enough on turn 2 to eat the rest of my command points. Occasionally got to use some of the other stuff in there though, such as catapulting a squad of Pathfinders an extra 2d6 to claim a remote objective.

I also learned that For the Greater Good really doesn't care about who is charging who, allowing overwatch against 3rd parties within range? I could see this being a mistake, but we weren't able to see any errata across the 8 documents we had to bring to build the current 8th edition rules-state. On review I found out that I was cheating my devilfish drones of their death roll when their transport died, assuming they popped off safely (may have internalized something from another unit/earlier edition).

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Skails posted:

Finished up the first guy of this squad.

Battle damage marked with date and planet of incident.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Excoriators are the best Imperial Fist successors, and that's a kickass Excoriator.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That battle damage looks phenomenal.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Seriously, are the big impact dents on the helmet and leg real? Cuz they look real.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Are excoriators the ones that recreationally use the Pain Glove and do filigree designs on their own bones and all that freaky poo poo, or are these just general Fist things?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

krursk posted:

Never take burna boys.

Burna Boyz have Ap-2 in close combat. That’s awesome.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I have burnaz from the Kill Team box. I'm gonna find a use for the things.

Decided tohack together a Trukk out of a Meng1:35 pickup truck model and a Gravedigger Hot Wheels. It's....something, at least

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Personally I’m in the collect and paint what you think is cool camp, and find some regular friends to play with and chat before as to expectations on how soft/hard you want your list to be. You’re going to be spending precious hours of your free time assembling and painting the buggers so it should be something you want to paint and then field. If picking up the box or reading the Codex entry doesn’t make you go “gently caress I want it so bad”, maybe consider again unless you’ve identified it will fill a real hole in your army or match your play style.

There are some very skilled players in this thread, but if you’re just starting out in the hobby, you’re probably not going to be entering major tournaments any time soon, and even if you’re playing against people who do, I’m sure a conversation before hand and they’d be happy to tone their lists down or make adjustments. Taking a slightly unoptimised list is not going to be what costs you the game - it will be forgetting rules, not knowing the sort of thing the other army can do, messing up positioning or the sequence of moving, not thinking a turn ahead.

Like there are people who are recommending not getting Redemptors or Deff Dreads and that to me is just sad - walkers are an iconic part of 40K and a great way of getting practice in on painting larger surface areas and more space to try out edge highlighting and details. And they just look cool too.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

I'm just about to put together a coldstar battlesuit and I was wondering if there were any decent loadout options besides the quad fusion gun?

I was tempted by the enclaves fusion blade artefact but I think that just means that nothing else really synergises except more fusion guns and I was hoping for a bit more variety..

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Milotic posted:

Burna Boyz have Ap-2 in close combat. That’s awesome.

Burna boys have 2 Ap-2 attacks, a t-shirt for armor, a single wound and cost 14 points each. That's awful.

Conversely Nobz have 3 Ap-2 attacks, 4+ armor and two wounds each for 20 points each. That's decent.

Edit: if you have burna boy models put them in kommando squads. They get them for free and you have conversion opportunities to make very sneaky pyromaniacs.

Double edit: I'm now off to have two campaign games. First match is against Tau(yay!?) followed by a deployment(that's about all I get to do) against Blood Angels... urg.

krursk fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 2, 2018

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013

Captain No-mates posted:

I'm just about to put together a coldstar battlesuit and I was wondering if there were any decent loadout options besides the quad fusion gun?

I was tempted by the enclaves fusion blade artefact but I think that just means that nothing else really synergises except more fusion guns and I was hoping for a bit more variety..

Slapping a relic on there if you have the CP can sometimes work out. I found the Supernova Launcher to occasionally be quite valuable, and not a total waste of space if you're shooting something big and tough. Got to shoot some Aggressors one time, that was nice.

Honestly that BS 2+ is going to make any of the guns shine (except Plasma and Flamers). I think the reason everyone jams on the Fusion blasters is that no other unit in the codex makes them worth their cost, you're going to need something to hit high toughness targets with and the math doesn't look good on any of the other options.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Badablack posted:

Are excoriators the ones that recreationally use the Pain Glove and do filigree designs on their own bones and all that freaky poo poo, or are these just general Fist things?

Thats more of an imperial fist thing. The excoriators "don Dorn's mantle" which is recreational self flagellation. Sometimes a marine will have a designated serf that will whip them. They lean hard into the medieval space Catholic thing.

Mikey Purp posted:

Seriously, are the big impact dents on the helmet and leg real? Cuz they look real.

Thanks, I'm using the basic principal set out in this tutorial:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/587941.page
But without the random sponging. An image search for concrete impact crater and bullet impact concrete gave me a good visual reference for what I wanted too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I am constantly amused that almost every “good” Space Marine faction has a dark and terrible fixation as a trait and the Salamanders trait is “has a family life.”

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

I am constantly amused that almost every “good” Space Marine faction has a dark and terrible fixation as a trait and the Salamanders trait is “has a family life.”

"I never sleep, for I am on constant vigil for the enemies of Man and I must be an examplar in all things. How about you, Pericles?"

"I sleep in a big bed with my wife."

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Weekend Battle Report

Firstly we played a game of Death Guard vs IG in Kill Team. The mission was rescue, on the Death World moon of Carroux 4 where the last surviving crewman of a crashed lander had vital details of the system's defence codes.

I lose an expensive gunner on the bottom of turn 1 to the random Death World rule of Aggressive Fauna. When I have 6 men to his 11, it was pretty unlucky. A heroic Scion with a sword also managed to kill a Death Guard Zealot wielding a Flail of Corruption. Despite this his morale penalties gradually cripple his big team until the Death Guard are able to secure the objective.

Lessons learned, 11 man teams are a really bad idea.

He was running IG using Catachan rules -

Supreme Command Detatchment
Lord Commissar Cain (with the Blade of Conquest), Sly Marbo, Tank Commander driving a Punisher Russ
Baneblade

Battalion
Company Commander, Tempestor Primer
Infantry Squad with Autocannon
Plasma Scions
Hot Shot Scions
Commissar
Plasma Russ
Manticore
MALCADOR INFERNUS

I was running the invading Death Guard -
Glamour Shot -
Battalion
Nurgle Prince with Plate Relic, and Arch Contaminator Trait, Typhus
2 7 man Plagues with Blight Launchers
20 Pox walkers
3 Myphitic Blight Haulers
1 PBC with Spitters
6 man Blightlord Terminators, 4 axe and SB, with a Flail and Blight Launcher

Super Heavy
2 Reneger Helverins

We're playing Eternal War: Front-line Warfare, so 4 objectives ( 1 in each deployment, and 2 on the centre line) that are only scored at the end of the game, worth more if they are not in your deployment (2), and more again in your enemies deployment (4).

Due to the success on the moon, and finishing deploying first Nurgle's Chosen manage to get first turn.

On the right flank they turn every heavy gun they have on the Baneblade, but (due to forgetting that Helverin's actually have two gun arms each) they only do enough damage to knock it into it's central bracket.
Plague Marines advance and rain acid on the normal guardsmen.

The Baneblade retaliates but doesn't manage to destroy either Helverin. The Malcador comes around the corner and melts a unit of Plague Marines almost to a man (wounding on 2s against buffed toughness 6 marines is solid).

On the left a single unit of Plague Marines tries to hold off the Executioner and do badly, but they survive long enough to keep the attention of the plasma tank and a unit of scions from the rest of the force.

Typhus and the Terminators drop down to finish off the Baneblade, between Veterans of the Long War and Blades of Putrification they're able to blow it up. The Blight haulers narrowly fail to take out the damaged Malcador leaving it on one wound.

Best moment -

So the Whirlwind in the background uses it's missiles effectively and fails to kill the Prince above him, and decides to use his single bolter shot to put a dent in the Blight Hauler on the far right which is on one wound. It goes through, and the tick blows up. This explosion takes out the last wounds on the Malcador, which of course also blows up. Rolling massively on the range table it manages to take out or extremely damage everything else on the centre/right of the table, including most of his command staff. So one heavy bolter shot took out more points than anything else in the game.

Final shot -

Not much left on either side, but Death Guard have Slay the Warlord, First Blood, Linebreaker, and control their own deployment, the enemy deployment and one of the centre objectives. 10-2 victory for the Death Guard.

Bonus Action shots -
the Tank Commander is bogged down by Pox bodies -

Vulgarot the Contaminator takes down Lord Commissar Cain who dared to try and hold on to the backfield objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

If I hadn't gone for Blood Ravens as my Marine force to paint I probably would've gone with Salamanders just because they seem like solid chaps who also are great to have at a BBQ.