Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

Dubai airport is presumably also a major supply hub for the coalition. They may calculate that disrupting that is more valuable than trying to play nice with people who are already trying to exterminate them. I mean, the Houthi banner should probably have been a bit of a clue that PR is not something they have ever had the slightest interest in.

Wow, after seeing what the Houthi banner is I'm now not so sure that peace is their objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Unfair of course.

The Houthi’s are in a war of extermination. They and their families may be killed. It’s the same as Syria’s war against its rebels in Idlib. They deserve the option to fight in any way they can manage against a much larger and more powerful opponent.

It also can act as a form of propaganda warfare against UAE and Saudi populations that these enemies are not soon to be defeated.

In peace, these attacks will disappear.

It’s actually a good thing that states being heavily pressured and attacked have any means of defence. Before it was very difficult to bring the war home to the enemy. Makes the war seem not like something over there which doesn’t matter to me.

It also can activate peace movements at home, the only way to win asymmetric war is when the more powerful enemy decides to stop fighting.

The Houthi are not in a "war of extermination", the SA coalition campaign goal has never been to invade northern Yemen, it was basically to put a "friendly" (puppet or at least predictable) government in place after the collapse of the previous government and that was likewise the Houthi original goal as well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TheNakedFantastic posted:

The Houthi are not in a "war of extermination", the SA coalition campaign goal has never been to invade northern Yemen, it was basically to put a "friendly" (puppet or at least predictable) government in place after the collapse of the previous government and that was likewise the Houthi original goal as well.

I considered making this same point. The KSA/UAE invasion has been terrible, but it is not a war of extermination or genocide.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I'm sure the millions of people starving to death in Yemen are greatly comforted by Saudi Arabia's less nefarious motives. Don't worry guys, a lot of them will survive and just have permanent crippling health problems and growth stunting for the rest of their lives instead.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sergg posted:

I'm sure the millions of people starving to death in Yemen are greatly comforted by Saudi Arabia's less nefarious motives.

I'm sure they're not. But the words "exterminate" and "genocide" don't just mean killing lots of people.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Count Roland posted:

I considered making this same point. The KSA/UAE invasion has been terrible, but it is not a war of extermination or genocide.

Please explain this logic

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What is genocide Discussion itt

Like jesus christ was holodomor genocide or just a simple killoff? Why is this stupidity being argued, starving a population may not be racially motivated but its a loving genocide

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Uhhh... Bandar Bush might disagree:

quote:

Prince Bandar bin Sultan, once the powerful Saudi ambassador in Washington and head of Saudi intelligence until a few months ago, had a revealing and ominous conversation with the head of the British Secret Intelligence Service, MI6, Sir Richard Dearlove. Prince Bandar told him: "The time is not far off in the Middle East, Richard, when it will be literally 'God help the Shia'. More than a billion Sunnis have simply had enough of them."

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmm... Is it really a genocide, or just a regular campaign of intentional murder directed at the civilian population of Yemen? This is a topic we must resolve through rational debate, as without I wouldn't be able to continue not caring about my governments pivotal role in enabling the very intentional and strategically planned destruction of Yemen as a country. And murdering all the Shia.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A 'war of extermination' justifies almost any action in return; when you call it that, that's the ground you're standing on. Metaphorically. So yes. It's important to be cautious with words like genocide, even leaving aside the dilution of the word is a problem. Unless people need remedial run-throughs of the boy who cried wolf. (Targeting civilians does not implicitly make something a war of extermination, however barbaric the act.)

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what the gently caress did I just read

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Could you perhaps metaphorically make a post that's not full of weasel words and nothing?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If two sides A and B are at war with each other, and both are committing war crimes against each other, but we, as group C, are only powerful enough to stop group B from committing war crimes, should we go ahead and stop group B from committing war crimes, even if doing so would enable group A to commit even more war crimes against group B?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

LeoMarr posted:

Like jesus christ was holodomor genocide or just a simple killoff?

It's actually nazi propaganda

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I don't think the American government is cynical and evil. I think the American people are.
:eyepop:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Americans ain't got nothin' on Europe when it comes to cynicism imo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

it is not the american government that Volkerball has sworn his allegience to that is evil and stupid. his friends died for good reasons, like all those loving iraqis, yemenis, and libyans. noble reasons. for noble men. noble purpose. to question the goodness and intelligence of the people who ordered their deaths is to question those deaths, and he will not suffer your filthy attempts to sully their memory with statements like "they died for nothing."

no, clearly the fault for their deaths lies in those worthless civilian scum, who will never understand the glorious purity of getting turned into chunky salsa by an IED because Paul Wolfowitz thought "sunni" was a way to cook an egg

and who persist in spitting on the graves of those men by saying "maybe doing more of that would be a bad idea"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

The "friendly" puppet government sponsored by the KSA led a campaign of cultural genocide against North Yemeni Shiites. They were controlled by a Saudi political party with links to hostile Sunni militias and an agenda of eradicating the cultural specificity of the Northern people. It is very much a war for the survival of a whole ethnic community.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I dunno, the areas being starved out are almost all Zaidi, and the Zaidi areas are all being starved out, correct?

I’ve seen an enormous number of pro-rebel people very angrily using the word genocide to refer to Assad’s war, when the evidence for such an intent, without downplaying the extent of Sunni Arab suffering, is much less than in Yemen

The fact that we’re at the point now of weasel-words dimunition of genocide tells you how much of a loving joke the Western humanitarian language always was

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

I dunno, the areas being starved out are almost all Zaidi, and the Zaidi areas are all being starved out, correct?

I’ve seen an enormous number of pro-rebel people very angrily using the word genocide to refer to Assad’s war, when the evidence for such an intent, without downplaying the extent of Sunni Arab suffering, is much less than in Yemen

The fact that we’re at the point now of weasel-words dimunition of genocide tells you how much of a loving joke the Western humanitarian language always was

Are there areas in Yemen that are under Houthi control, but with a majority non-Houthi civilian population, that are specifically being allowed to receive adequate supplies of food by KSA? If there are, then the case for the KSA campaign being genocidal is much stronger.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
wow you're literally doing a holodomor splitting hairs argument.

they're killing everyone, so it cant be genocide!!!!!!!!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Regardless of how you define genocide, do you really think TheDeadlyShoe is trying to diminish the crimes of the Gulf coalition? What position do you and Kurnugia think TheDeadlyShoe and others are arguing?

I doubt anyone who posts in this thread regularly has anything but loathing for the Saudi campaign. Its disgusting and indefensible from both a humanitarian and strategic perspective, and I honestly cant recall anyone ever coming close to defending it itt. What the gently caress is the point of this kind of holier-than-thou posturing?

Regardless of how exactly we're going to define genocide its worthwhile discussing exactly what is happening in Yemen. We can't trust official statements or reporting on the ground, so it takes a lot of discussion and some speculation to understand what is going on. This is why people want to ask questions like does Saudi strategy in Yemen meet the technical definition of genocide outlined in the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide? Its bizarre seeing how eager some people are to set off the circular firing squad.

qkkl posted:

Are there areas in Yemen that are under Houthi control, but with a majority non-Houthi civilian population, that are specifically being allowed to receive adequate supplies of food by KSA? If there are, then the case for the KSA campaign being genocidal is much stronger.

uh dude you sound seriously confused about who the Houthi are. The Houthi are single aristocratic family, there really are no "Houthi' or "non-Houthi" civilians, this is not a meaningful distinction. Perhaps you are considering the difference between Zaidi and Sunni areas? In any case the answer is no, even Sunni areas under coalition control are suffering severe food shortages and wide spread malnutrition. It's not quite as bad as the north but from an objective standpoint its still awful.

steinrokkan posted:

The "friendly" puppet government sponsored by the KSA led a campaign of cultural genocide against North Yemeni Shiites. They were controlled by a Saudi political party with links to hostile Sunni militias and an agenda of eradicating the cultural specificity of the Northern people. It is very much a war for the survival of a whole ethnic community.

I'm not sure but are you talking about before the Houthi seizure of San'aa? It doesn't sound like you mean during the current civil war. That would be a really surprising statement if true and new to me, could you share your source? It's surprising because Ali Saleh was in fact a Zaidi northerner who crushed a southern rebellion after the union of north and south Yemen, neither of which has a distinct ethnicity from the other despite the religious differences, which are not nearly as significant as many people believe.

Perhaps by the "cultural specificity of the Northern people," you mean the tribal affinal political system which remains stronger in the rural north than in towns like Aden and San'aa? Because while I think he'd have LIKED to have destroyed it, I don't think he ever came particularly close and regularly relied on it to support his own agenda. If you mean something Hadi did I'd like to hear it, as far as I know he was almost completely ineffectual before his overthrow so he wasn't threatening anyone.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

uh dude you sound seriously confused about who the Houthi are. The Houthi are single aristocratic family, there really are no "Houthi' or "non-Houthi" civilians, this is not a meaningful distinction. Perhaps you are considering the difference between Zaidi and Sunni areas? In any case the answer is no, even Sunni areas under coalition control are suffering severe food shortages and wide spread malnutrition. It's not quite as bad as the north but from an objective standpoint its still awful.

That is very strange, wouldn't KSA want to provide plenty of food to Sunni areas in Yemen that they control, so that the civilians in that area would see the Saudis in a good light? I thought the goal of KSA was to have Yemen be a pro-KSA state, which would be hard to accomplish if all the Yemenis hate them because they starved them for no reason. Maybe their ultimate goal is to annex Yemen.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

leomarr is not "we", and it's best to just ignore off-topic bait

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

qkkl posted:

That is very strange, wouldn't KSA want to provide plenty of food to Sunni areas in Yemen that they control, so that the civilians in that area would see the Saudis in a good light? I thought the goal of KSA was to have Yemen be a pro-KSA state, which would be hard to accomplish if all the Yemenis hate them because they starved them for no reason. Maybe their ultimate goal is to annex Yemen.

You also wouldn't think they'd be collaborating with al Qaeda given their whole desire to overthrow the Saudi Monarchy, and yet here we are. There's a lot of unanswered questions regarding coalition strategy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A big flaming stink posted:

The point was that holodmor was a genocide evrn if not entirely racially motivated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

Regardless of how you define genocide, do you really think TheDeadlyShoe is trying to diminish the crimes of the Gulf coalition? What position do you and Kurnugia think TheDeadlyShoe and others are arguing?

I doubt anyone who posts in this thread regularly has anything but loathing for the Saudi campaign. Its disgusting and indefensible from both a humanitarian and strategic perspective, and I honestly cant recall anyone ever coming close to defending it itt. What the gently caress is the point of this kind of holier-than-thou posturing?

Regardless of how exactly we're going to define genocide its worthwhile discussing exactly what is happening in Yemen. We can't trust official statements or reporting on the ground, so it takes a lot of discussion and some speculation to understand what is going on. This is why people want to ask questions like does Saudi strategy in Yemen meet the technical definition of genocide outlined in the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide? Its bizarre seeing how eager some people are to set off the circular firing squad.

I'm not sure but are you talking about before the Houthi seizure of San'aa? It doesn't sound like you mean during the current civil war. That would be a really surprising statement if true and new to me, could you share your source? It's surprising because Ali Saleh was in fact a Zaidi northerner who crushed a southern rebellion after the union of north and south Yemen, neither of which has a distinct ethnicity from the other despite the religious differences, which are not nearly as significant as many people believe.

Perhaps by the "cultural specificity of the Northern people," you mean the tribal affinal political system which remains stronger in the rural north than in towns like Aden and San'aa? Because while I think he'd have LIKED to have destroyed it, I don't think he ever came particularly close and regularly relied on it to support his own agenda. If you mean something Hadi did I'd like to hear it, as far as I know he was almost completely ineffectual before his overthrow so he wasn't threatening anyone.

Yes, I was talking about the status quo before the fall of Sanaa. The government was insanely influenced by Sunni political parties with a goal of destroying the Zaidi community and receiving funding from the Saudis, and while Saleh may not have been personally invested in that goal, he did little to prevent the relevant actors from working towards the goal, and enjoyed the patronage that came with not getting in the Saudi's way. the increasing penetration of N Yemen by Saudi trained clerics and religious institutions in a coordinated campaign + empowering of militias by Saleh that were hostile to Zaidis were two of the triggers to escalating the conflict. I can add more detail later today.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

The point was that holodmor was an invention of nazi propaganda

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Take Holocaust denial somewhere else.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Take Holocaust denial somewhere else.

The holocaust is real and the holodomor is a nazi attempt to smoke screen their own genocide

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

420 Gank Mid posted:

The holocaust is real and the holodomor is a nazi attempt to smoke screen their own genocide

No.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

What is this the Stepan Bandera fan club thread all of a sudden?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's weird but genocides aren't actually mutually exclusive.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

Are you going to say the Katyn Massacre was made up by the Nazis too? Even Russia admits that the Holodomor happenened and that the Soviet government bore responsibility, though they say it wasn't genocide. Here's an international statement they signed on to under Putin:

In the former Soviet Union millions of men, women and children fell victims to the cruel actions and policies of the totalitarian regime. The Great Famine of 1932–1933 in Ukraine (Holodomor), took from 7 million to 10 million innocent lives and became a national tragedy for the Ukrainian people. In this regard, we note activities in observance of the seventieth anniversary of this Famine, in particular organized by the Government of Ukraine.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

It's weird but genocides aren't actually mutually exclusive.

Yeah but there's plenty of real genocides that are also relevant to this thread you dont have to go digging for nazi and anti-communist historical revisionism to talk about them

Like the Genocide the USA and its allies are overseeing in Yemen right now
http://exiledonline.com/the-war-nerd-anglo-american-media-complicity-in-yemens-genocide/

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah but there's plenty of real genocides that are also relevant to this thread you dont have to go digging for nazi and anti-communist historical revisionism to talk about them

http://exiledonline.com/the-war-nerd-anglo-american-media-complicity-in-yemens-genocide/

The holodomor is not revisionism

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Sorry friend but Stalin actively killed and/or otherwise destroyed the communities of plenty of ethnic minorities

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1047082516627304454

They also raided a Shia Islamic center in connection with this.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

What position do you and Kurnugia think TheDeadlyShoe and others are arguing?

A position incredibly retarded and irrelevant. Americans and Saudis are intentionally starving and slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people without a worry. Whether that fills some diarrhea soaked definition of genocide thedeadlywonk pulled out of his loving rear end in a top hat is entirely irrelevant to anything that is happening, and discussing is indeed an attempt to diminish the crimes being committed by your government. Eppur si muove and gently caress you.

Perhaps in the future I will just tell people who run with this argument to go gently caress a paper shredder instead of even bothering to mock them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, journalists went to investigate Netanyahu's "secret Iranian nuclear bomb factory", and they found out that it was actually a near-bankrupt carpet washing workshop.
https://www.euronews.com/2018/09/30/secret-atomic-warehouse-the-mystery-building-at-the-centre-of-israeli-pm-s-claim

This way we learns that the security measures used to protect the nuclear carpet warehouse consist of a few cameras and one (1) guard who throws stones at cameramen.