Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

gently caress Your Website posted:

There isn't enough difference to make it worthwhile unless you're playing in a Dinosaur Jr or Smashing Pumkins cover band or you just have money to burn. If you do get twitchy about it just get a JHS Muffuletta and be done with it, otherwise it's a hole to throw money in that will never be filled.

Well now I just looked up the JHS Muffuletta, and I think I need one of those too.

I think my ever growing pedal collection is becoming stupid music poo poo at this point.

Like how many pedals do you people all own?

I have like ~40 something, and I maybe use 8 or 9 of them regularly. Most just sit around collecting dust. I don't have any crazy rare or expensive vintage ones though.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to sound like a brag, but it's not: I have 10 times that.

Wanna know what I use most of the time with my bands?
  • For the death metal band and the post rock band, I use a Line 6 POD HD500. Yes, the one that's almost 10 years old at this point, usually combined with a Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 head, but sometimes I use whatever it's available as backline, because I literally have my 12 patches set up twice to go either direct with Amp Modelling to the front or 4-cable'd with no amp-modelling.
  • For the covers band and when I play the Weddings/Quinceañeras/Sweet Sixteen/etc circuit, I use 10 pedals and I can tell you the order without even being at my rehearsal space: (front end) T.C. Polytune Mini Noir, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Xotic BB+, Electro-Harmonix The Glove, Devi Ever Aenima, (FX loop) Fender Chorus Pedal, Line 6 Tap Tremolo, Line 6 DL4, MXR Micro Amp (what ties them together) T.C. Sentry. As an amp, if I'm not using a backline, I usually bring my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Plus.
Out of that whole list, the only thing that's sorta uncommon is the Aenima and that's because Devi decided to make them a one-time deal. That's it. Out of +400 pedals and almost 40 Amp-heads/Combos, I use a Multi-FX Pedalboard, 10 Pedals and two amps. And while I'm at home? A Yamaha THR10x.

I am Wark Say and I invite you to my glasshouse of stupid music poo poo. :mmmhmm:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
edit: Okay, probably not that many.

Malaria posted:

I don't know, I've lost count... like there's at least 4 delays, 5+ wahs, 3 choruses, multiple big muffs, some fuzzes and other things that I've built, a bunch of old big box EHX stuff, Japan and Taiwan Boss HM-2s and a tuner.

When I do have time to play it's usually just Angus Young style: Guitar - cable - amp.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Wark Say posted:

This is going to sound like a brag, but it's not: I have 10 times that.

Wanna know what I use most of the time with my bands?
  • For the death metal band and the post rock band, I use a Line 6 POD HD500. Yes, the one that's almost 10 years old at this point, usually combined with a Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 head, but sometimes I use whatever it's available as backline, because I literally have my 12 patches set up twice to go either direct with Amp Modelling to the front or 4-cable'd with no amp-modelling.
  • For the covers band and when I play the Weddings/Quinceañeras/Sweet Sixteen/etc circuit, I use 10 pedals and I can tell you the order without even being at my rehearsal space: (front end) T.C. Polytune Mini Noir, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Xotic BB+, Electro-Harmonix The Glove, Devi Ever Aenima, (FX loop) Fender Chorus Pedal, Line 6 Tap Tremolo, Line 6 DL4, MXR Micro Amp (what ties them together) T.C. Sentry. As an amp, if I'm not using a backline, I usually bring my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Plus.
Out of that whole list, the only thing that's sorta uncommon is the Aenima and that's because Devi decided to make them a one-time deal. That's it. Out of +400 pedals and almost 40 Amp-heads/Combos, I use a Multi-FX Pedalboard, 10 Pedals and two amps. And while I'm at home? A Yamaha THR10x.

I am Wark Say and I invite you to my glasshouse of stupid music poo poo. :mmmhmm:

Post that wall of amps. Or maybe walls in your case.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man: No joke it took me like close to 3 hours to take 4 semi-decent pictures of my current guitar lineup (quoted below).

Wark Say posted:

Hey, honorable goons! Are you interested in seeing a cautionary tale?

I am a lefty but still have way too many electric guitars, ama
If I try to take pictures of everything in my recording studio I'm gonna literally go mad. For reals, I'm the loving worst at photography.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

An interesting facet of the Big Muff is that it is fairly agnostic as far as which transistors you use in the 4 gain stages. The major changes that separate the different versions are the filtering (cap value changes), clipping diodes, whether it uses an IC or not for those gain stages and whether it has 3 or 4 gain stages (the Little Big Muff, which doesn't get talked about much, has 3 vs the standard 4).

I say that to say this: vintage Big Muffs do not inherently sound better than new ones do because it's the circuit architecture of it, and only that, that lends it those magical qualities.

P.S. Yes, I know some people sub in Germaniums and get funky with it but that was never apart of originals.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

It's worth trying out the ic muffs, i could never get the transistor ones to sound like my favourite muff records.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty confident Boss are announcing a wazacraft metal zone this week which is extremely stupid music poo poo/hilariously Rad.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Malaria posted:

Well now I just looked up the JHS Muffuletta, and I think I need one of those too.

I think my ever growing pedal collection is becoming stupid music poo poo at this point.

I have like ~40 something, and I maybe use 8 or 9 of them regularly. Most just sit around collecting dust. I don't have any crazy rare or expensive vintage ones though.

My wife is a ridiculous nutbar fan of The Edge, so our collection is as thus:

Digitech Whammy 4
Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
Dunlop Crybaby Q95
Kay Fuzztone clone in Crybaby housing
Big Muzz Pi clone (germanium diodes)
Pigtronix EP-2 Envelope Phaser (really similar to the Lovetone Meatball)
DOD Gonkulator ring modulator
BOSS DS-1 (JHS Synth Mod)
Moog MF Boost
Moog MF Chorus
Moog MF Delay
Red Witch Titan
KORG SDD-3000

And then into her AC-30. I'm usually content with my Eleven Rack, but I also have an old tube Harmony that I recapped and added a polarized plug to so as to not kill myself. The pedalboard setup is ridiculously flexible in the amount of tones we can get out of it, but we barely use it for probably even half of its ability. I mean, like four or five of those pedals have expression pedal inputs and we don't use them because we only have one and it's usually in a drawer or something most of the time. Both clones were built by my wife.

My PERSONAL favorites are the Big Muff clone, the EP-2, and the Titan. If I were into making a noise band (lol), the JHS DS-1 would be my favorite, hands down. That thing makes fuckin' WEIRD noise.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

I'm pretty confident Boss are announcing a wazacraft metal zone this week which is extremely stupid music poo poo/hilariously Rad.

It'd be cooler if it was an HM-2 that had an actual working dist control that did...something.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chalupa Joe posted:

It'd be cooler if it was an HM-2 that had an actual working dist control that did...something.

Just change it to a toggle switch imo

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The HM2 benefits a lot from a precense knob like some of its clones because the hi knob is basically EDGINESS rather than an effective EQ

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you people with 50+ pedals should send me some tbh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3228104&perpage=40&pagenumber=104#post488525702

get the stupid while it's hot

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
hell yeah i love slapfights

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
So I cleaned out a room to put all my music stuff in one place. Got it all setup. Decided to play guitar. Shook a picture off my wall and into a glass table almost as soon as I started. Felt pretty stupid while cleaning up tons of glass. Music room is looking good though. Lots of poo poo piled high.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So, this is technically awesome music poo poo, but I feel like this is the right thread anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPkz_ippXfw

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wugga posted:

So, this is technically awesome music poo poo, but I feel like this is the right thread anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPkz_ippXfw
Nyango Star(r?) is loving awesome. Yes. :kimchi:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPjE-_h6A7I

still sounds like a metal zone

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The sweet boutique tone of a highschool music room at lunchtime circa 1995

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't have time to sit through the whole video, and I'm wondering what it is exactly that makes this different from the regular MZ

like, I know the fancypants chorus they put out (that I actually want) has an additional mode that recreates their original chorus box

this just seems to be the same thing as the MZ, which is fine, but...

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

hexwren posted:

I don't have time to sit through the whole video, and I'm wondering what it is exactly that makes this different from the regular MZ

like, I know the fancypants chorus they put out (that I actually want) has an additional mode that recreates their original chorus box

this just seems to be the same thing as the MZ, which is fine, but...

It has a "custom mode" knob which I suspect probably makes it switchable to one of the common mods that make it sound less like a wasp nest in an aluminum shed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8zJ7AEbu8

Ola Englund did a video showcasing the new thingy

however his production always sounds amazing so it could still sound like a swarm of angry bees for all I know

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he's also got it plugged straight into the power amp return which avoids the folgers can full of apoideans tone beloved by so many

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he's also got it plugged straight into the power amp return which avoids the folgers can full of apoideans tone beloved by so many

I'd definitely agree that the best way to improve the sound of a metalzone is to disconnect it from the input of your amp, I probably wouldn't bother with the rest though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he made another video a couple weeks ago with the plain ol metal zone doing the same thing and it wasn't half bad

of course plenty of other pedals sound way better going straight into a power amp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTellLC5Djk

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
But the Metal Muff is literally EHX's copy of a Metalzone with some mods anyway.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

well gently caress vpicks then

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i am absolutely shocked a middle aged small business owner into guitar stuff is a chud

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Malaria posted:

I have a dozen right now, but out of those there are only 3 I know I'm keeping for sure. I try not to hang on to anything I'm not currently playing, unless I'm pretty sure I'll have a use for it in the future. I also don't like having more than one pedal of the same type; I'm fine with owning more than one fuzz, but I don't need more than one Big Muff.

I've had a pretty easy time selling and trading pedals through craigslist, so anything I don't like gets flipped as quickly as possible.

As for stupid music content, I bought a used Fuzzrocious Demon today that had some kind of animal hair wound around all the control pots.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

You better have left that poo poo in there...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The guy playing the sweeps and fast runs sounds like Rusty Cooley; which isn't a good thing. Of all the crazy bullshit Rusty can do he still can't get a decent tone.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only one with a good idea of how to get some halfway decent tone out of the pedal is Rabea. :cmon:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The bearded dude with the natural wood finished guitar made it sound ok. Andy James made it sound pretty good too, but he always sounds great so whatever.

Ola Englund's "review" showed it's a really misunderstood pedal. The Metal Zone is much closer to a full-on preamp than a gain boost pedal, which is kind of why it always sounds like complete poo poo into the front of an amp. Same thing would happen if you plugged a 5150's FX loop send into a Recto's front input or something. Going straight into an FX loop makes it sound better but it's still a sterile sounding, solid state thing. Either way though it's not all that great.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 8, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The other thing is that cabinet power amp and speaker sound matters a lot and the first time you use a metal zone you're probably using it into a Line 6 Spider to play Nirvana covers. And by the time youve got a better amp you've ditched the metal zone. The goal of a good metal tone is generally to get crushing focused lows and that requires a lot of effort from the power section but the actual preamp could be SS clipping who cares.

Most of those guys sounded like the were getting usable tones except the headless guitar guy who clearly has questionable taste in several aspects.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 8, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Brian finally did something about his fb group being full of misogynist dicks and the replies instantly went nuclear. Jokes are banned forever! The PC hordes have won!

I’m glad he did it. That poo poo is beyond tiring.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did anyone post "oh man, i gotta give my husband so many blowjobs after this one"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
"oh jeez, this new 2018 AAAAA flametop LP is totally gonna make me give a blumpkin. Glad I'm not in that ska band anymore cause there's only so many rusty trombones in this world"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol he just alienated 90% of his customer base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol he just alienated 90% of his customer base

No he didn’t, just the loud rear end in a top hat segment, which is less than 5% even estimating generously. Most people don’t read Facebook groups about pedals let alone give a gently caress about what they do or don’t say.