Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Selachian posted:

I like that she drew Kirby with a cigar jammed in the corner of his mouth.

Whenever anyone mentions Surge I still think of this guy:

Why the hell am I running into all these body deformities now? I'm not sure if that's a reverse pregnancy, or if it's a regular butt and the base of a tail (which didn't get completed for some reason).

I mean, as opposed to "normal" comics deformities of slinky spine, no feet, inflation (any parts), and suchlike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno how McKelvie got hooked up with Chvrches but I love the work he does for them

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1044150805551558656

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BLMNn0PrQ

He also did the art direction for their Bury It video and I don't think it quite works with the 3d models, especially since how flat his art tends to be, but there's a sequence at about 1:30 that looks great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sad to say that Norm Breyfogle has died. I picked up his collection during a big DC sale a couple years back and I love the way he drew Batman. Dark and moody, you get why the Bat terrifies criminals.

Incidentally those Legends/Tales collections of classic artists and writers are really good. They're like 500 pages, great value, and really enjoyable reads.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 26, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Sad to say that Norm Breyfogle has died. I picked up his collection during a big DC sale a couple years back and I love the way he drew Batman. Dark and moody, you get why the Bat terrifies criminals.

Incidentally those Legends/Tales collections of classic artists and writers are really good. They're like 500 pages, great value, and really enjoyable reads.

That really sucks. Breyfogle is up there with Aparo as the definitive Batman artist (so much so that I usually got their styles confused initially).
That really really does suck.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I've been reading the run of Excalibur lately. Pretty fair to say that the quality is inconsistent, but when it's good, it's really good. And by "when it's good," I mean "when Alan Davis is drawing," because those issues are a real delight:

I love Technet so much; they are loopy good fun and a great match for Davis' style.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues. Davis isn't someone you normally think of as a writer but I think he does a really good job of resolving everything that he and Claremont started but which Claremont seemed to have lost interest in (in favour of his Malory Towers/Belles of St. Trinian's pastiche which I'm reasonably sure existed largely as an excuse to put Kitty Pryde in a cheerleader outfit :v:).

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Carlos Ezquerra has passed away. I thought I'd post some of his art from Necropolis.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Excalibur #50 is one of my favourite single issues. Davis isn't someone you normally think of as a writer but I think he does a really good job of resolving everything that he and Claremont started but which Claremont seemed to have lost interest in (in favour of his Malory Towers/Belles of St. Trinian's pastiche which I'm reasonably sure existed largely as an excuse to put Kitty Pryde in a cheerleader outfit :v:).

Davis really has a good feel for eccentricity, which fits the book’s vibe. Agreed about Claremont losing steam- I can see what he was going for in that arc but teenagers in cheerleader miniskirts are really cringey- almost as cringey as Claremont’s attempt to write Ebonics in the same issue.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Disproportionation posted:

Carlos Ezquerra has passed away. I thought I'd post some of his art from Necropolis.

Oh poo poo :rip:

That reminds me, I haven’t bought any of the Strontium Dog compilations...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Davis really has a good feel for eccentricity, which fits the book’s vibe. Agreed about Claremont losing steam- I can see what he was going for in that arc but teenagers in cheerleader miniskirts are really cringey- almost as cringey as Claremont’s attempt to write Ebonics in the same issue.

Any time someone brings up white comic writers trying to write ebonics it reminds me of the yancy street guys trying to rap for Ben Grimm in tribute to everything he's done.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I've been reading the run of Excalibur lately. Pretty fair to say that the quality is inconsistent, but when it's good, it's really good. And by "when it's good," I mean "when Alan Davis is drawing," because those issues are a real delight:

I love Technet so much; they are loopy good fun and a great match for Davis' style.

I love Alan Davis' art so much. I've just been reading some of his run on Detective Comics, and ran across what I think is my favourite image of Jason Todd Robin.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

zoux posted:

I dunno how McKelvie got hooked up with Chvrches but I love the work he does for them

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1044150805551558656

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BLMNn0PrQ

He also did the art direction for their Bury It video and I don't think it quite works with the 3d models, especially since how flat his art tends to be, but there's a sequence at about 1:30 that looks great.

In a similar vein Blacksad and former Disney animator, Juanjo Guarnido produced this via Kickstarter a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vzBdIejVY

Traditional disney themed animation :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dsmif posted:

I love Alan Davis' art so much. I've just been reading some of his run on Detective Comics, and ran across what I think is my favourite image of Jason Todd Robin.

I think Davis's art really suffers from modern coloring methods, it's sad.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Dsmif posted:

Batman's tiny little pupils are freaking me out

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

I think Davis's art really suffers from modern coloring methods, it's sad.

Yeah, if you look at something like the covers for the Acts of Vengeance omnibuses he drew, it looks pretty flat.

Or compare the original series of ClanDestine with the second miniseries he did 10 years or so later.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Timotheous Venture posted:

Yeah everyone thinks the Robins are weird

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Timotheous Venture posted:

Professor Wayne posted:

Yeah everyone thinks the Robins are weird

:sbahj:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dsmif posted:

Jason looks like syndrome from incredibles,good pic though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I flipped through DK3 and was surprisingly impressed.

I didn't even know there WAS a DK3. For comparison, I went back and looked at DK2, which is one of the ugliest comics I've ever seen in my life ( if not THE ugliest) and couldn't believe how much better it looked. "Wow", I thought. "Miller took some time and care with this."

Then I realized that Adam Kubert and Klaus Janson did the art and, holy poo poo, they did a GREAT job aping Miller's best stuff, incorporating his storytelling skills, composition and use of contrast into something readable that held onto the spirit and style of DK1. It got me to wondering how much of Miller's impact can actually be attributed to Janson.

Anyone know if Miller storyboarded DK3 and Kubert and Janson polished it? I'd love to see some of the raw DD pencils too, that Miller did back in his heyday before Janson got those pages.

DK2 is so loving ugly it's impossible to even tell what's going on in half the panels which, regardless of what your think of Miller, was never the main problem with any of his stuff. Going over it again, I wanted to light box the whole book and re-draw it with a simple modicum of care and add a layer of detail. That looks like what was done here with DK3. DK2 looks like Miller drew it while sitting on the toilet.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when DC got some of those pages.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BiggerBoat posted:

I flipped through DK3 and was surprisingly impressed.

I didn't even know there WAS a DK3. For comparison, I went back and looked at DK2, which is one of the ugliest comics I've ever seen in my life ( if not THE ugliest) and couldn't believe how much better it looked. "Wow", I thought. "Miller took some time and care with this."

Then I realized that Adam Kubert and Klaus Janson did the art and, holy poo poo, they did a GREAT job aping Miller's best stuff, incorporating his storytelling skills, composition and use of contrast into something readable that held onto the spirit and style of DK1. It got me to wondering how much of Miller's impact can actually be attributed to Janson.

Anyone know if Miller storyboarded DK3 and Kubert and Janson polished it? I'd love to see some of the raw DD pencils too, that Miller did back in his heyday before Janson got those pages.

DK2 is so loving ugly it's impossible to even tell what's going on in half the panels which, regardless of what your think of Miller, was never the main problem with any of his stuff. Going over it again, I wanted to light box the whole book and re-draw it with a simple modicum of care and add a layer of detail. That looks like what was done here with DK3. DK2 looks like Miller drew it while sitting on the toilet.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when DC got some of those pages.

I've always felt that Janson had waaaaaay more to do with molding Miller's style back in the day than people consciously realize. Like I'm not sure that he so much "apes" Miller's style, as much as stuff like TDKR was a full merging of those two styles into something that gets largely accredited to Miller alone. Janson did art for a run on Wolverine in the mid-eighties, and if you track it down you would flat-out think that Frank Miller drew it. Like it is that identical. But nope, Janson's the sole credited artist on the run, and you're just used to seeing his inking style be synonymous with Miller's work from the same period.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I know too that Janson took over sole art duties on DD for a while, if I remember right and, yes, the transition was seamless. I just really dug the way the Kubert did a "draw like Frank Miller only good" sort of thing with DK3. Ditching Lynn Varley as colorist probably helped too, which is odd because, like Miller himself, her work used to be quite good.

I'm STILL not sure what was going on in DK2 but it's so loving garish and ugly that it feels downright intentional. It's not even good from a "thumbnail sketch" standpoint and the coloring does it NO favors AT ALL. People rag on Liefeld for his lack of backgrounds and lovely storytelling but DK2 makes Rob look like Kirby in comparison.

I defy anyone to read it and tell me what's happening in half the panels.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BiggerBoat posted:

Ditching Lynn Varley as colorist probably helped too, which is odd because, like Miller himself, her work used to be quite good.
I thought DK2 was Varley's first effort at doing digital coloring, and that's why it makes every amateur babbys-first-photoshop mistake.

DK3 was fine. Story wasn't great, but it did give the DK1/DK2 characters some nice arcs and a dignified sendoff (although I thought it was cheap that Bruce got his young body back after DK1 and DK2 were entirely about Bruce realizing and battling his old failing body.

There was a prequel with Kubert JRjr art (The Last Crusade) about Jason Todd's arc in the DK universe that was inessential, but made a nice companion to DK3.

e: corrected brainfart

FMguru fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 12, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought DK3 was so dull in plot and looks, which makes it much worse than DK2's bonkers-ness in my eyes.

FMguru posted:

There was a prequel with Kubert art (The Last Crusade)

*JRjr art. I liked that part the best.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WTF happened to Neal Adams? I can't find the article I read but his more recent poo poo was terrible.

I think we kicked around the influence of inkers and colorists before and how little credit they really get for the success and quality of finished art. There's a prejudice that still exists that all they really do is trace and color the pretty pictures between the lines but their impact is night and day. Pencillers get too much credit a lot of the time and, as good as some of are, a lot of them are real poo poo when it comes to storytelling, composition, contrast and breaking down panels and pages.

I don't think John Byrne's stuff ever looked quite right or as good without Terry Austin. Same for Miller/Janson and Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott. A change in inkers can lead to drastic shifts in quality of a penciller's work.

My high school artist buddy and I used to occasionally take turns inking each other's poo poo and neither of us liked the results on our pencils, for whatever that's worth. We also used to ink some of the pencils in "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" to compete as to who was the superior inker.

I wonder if pencillers inking their own stuff is better or worse overall? Or just dependent on the skill of the artist? I'd imagine it depends on the style and strengths of the penciller.

Coloring is a whole other matter and I doubt I could name 5 colorists, which is a shame and a mark against me.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Neal Adams went super crazy and not the cool your art gets better way

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He currently has the same disease Gil Kane suffered from at the end of his life. You know, where you ink with a thick point Sharpie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon. He's a million years old now and not continually working (e: or at least not in the same space as contemporary cartoonists making a living on monthly interiors.) He doesn't really need to keep up his craft.
Batman Odyssey's not great for being made by an old master at the top of his game. The unhinged out of touch nature is the selling point.
The only problem I have with him is that he approved of all of his old Batman art getting a terrible 'remastering' job for reprints.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 10, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guy likes money.

He still knows the Bucky O’Hare theme song, so he’s ok in my book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think John Byrne's stuff ever looked quite right or as good without Terry Austin. Same for Miller/Janson and Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott. A change in inkers can lead to drastic shifts in quality of a penciller's work.

Did Byrne do his own inking in his early FF run? I know Sinnott was involved at some stage and Ordway was doing most of the inking at the end of his run, but right at the start, was it just him?

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did Byrne do his own inking in his early FF run? I know Sinnott was involved at some stage and Ordway was doing most of the inking at the end of his run, but right at the start, was it just him?

Yes. He did that for the first three years of his solo run, plus during that time he also wrote/drew/inked a year of Alpha Flight before he stopped trying to outdo Jack Kirby�s monthly output.

The Sinnott stuff was from the short run before that when he was just doing pencils and not writing it.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 10, 2018

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Archyduke posted:

Larry Hama's run is very 90s but in a way that reminds you what appealed to people who lived through it-- it's over the top, colorful, kinetic, and ridiculous, throwing Logan indiscriminately from backwoods noir to time travel to half-incoherent international conspiracy in a way that hangs together way more elegantly than it has any right to. It gets a lot out of sheer energy and momentum, and it certainly isn't for everyone but I'd put it up there with Gen X for 90s X-stuff that remains readable.

Agreed - my cousin gave me this one, my first Wolverine comic, back in the 90's and it made a heck of an impression. I've read a handful of decent Wolvie solo stories since then (and I do really like the Miller/Claremont story), but nothing's ever really spoke to me like this one and the handful of issues before and after it that I've picked up since.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a nice big old picture of the Bronze Age Avengers, Alan Davis style:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's a nice big old picture of the Bronze Age Avengers, Alan Davis style:

It's probably weird of me to like this, but I love the Alan Davis "inside of the lips is just flat white, where the teeth are" thing. It always looks better than individual teeth.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've been reading old Spider-Man and Sal Buscema is doing some good stuff.

Also I love that nobody respects the Vulture.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

prefect posted:

It's probably weird of me to like this, but I love the Alan Davis "inside of the lips is just flat white, where the teeth are" thing. It always looks better than individual teeth.

It does look better for sure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

prefect posted:

Nah i feel ya, drawing the teeth usually ends up looking pretty janky

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

site posted:

Nah i feel ya, drawing the teeth usually ends up looking pretty janky

And yet he gives Iron Man teeth...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't tend to notice actual people's teeth when they're talking, unless they're particularly dingy or snaggly or they have a bit of broccoli in there. I think drawing the individual teeth calls attention to the teeth, in the same way that drawing the little facial wrinkles we all express when we emote draws attention to them as wrinkles and can make a comic character look older than they ought to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TheManWithNoName posted:

I guess it gives the mask character to build a gap in between some of the teeth??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheManWithNoName posted:

It's a vent!

Phy posted:

I don't tend to notice actual people's teeth when they're talking, unless they're particularly dingy or snaggly or they have a bit of broccoli in there. I think drawing the individual teeth calls attention to the teeth, in the same way that drawing the little facial wrinkles we all express when we emote draws attention to them as wrinkles and can make a comic character look older than they ought to.

Oh you mean Gary Frank Face?