Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
detective

is it too much of a spoiler to ask if there are bad ends that happen earlier on than the "normal" good endings or the best ending? in which you screwed up so bad you won't even be seeing the climax because you died or something, i mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
From the start I wanted us to show some ambition!

Let's do the detective work

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Flac posted:

detective

is it too much of a spoiler to ask if there are bad ends that happen earlier on than the "normal" good endings or the best ending? in which you screwed up so bad you won't even be seeing the climax because you died or something, i mean.

Fair question. No details, but people concerned about gameplay spoilers even in the vaguest terms might not want to scroll over this.

All of the ends are on Day 4, but all three non-standard game over routes avoid the climactic plot elements entirely. Standard game over is making it to the climax but failing there.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Only thing I'm beginning to regret about the style of the thread is that the emphasis on voting detracts from discussion of the game's story. Anyone have anything to say about our encounter with ??? or the challenge to Utena? After all, I remember people here asking how the dueling and such would get involved into the game's plot.

I find that a lot of LPs that I've read with audience participation on important choices at least the majority of posts are just voting.

As for the story, it's kind of at an odd point right now. We know ??? exists and I feel like it's reasonable to assume that they're the one who is issuing the challenge to Utena given the threat that she won't be engaged to the Rose Bride much longer. I guess it's also possible that ??? is issuing the challenge and is manipulating things to the we (Patter Song) are going to be the one to duel? We haven't exactly been set up as a fantastic swordswoman, but then neither was Utena when she defeated the Captain of the Kendo team.

I'm pretty baffled at what ???s goal is or who they are. Even though due to height ??? seems like they should be older, we mistake them for being a member of the student council, so my best guess would be maybe a half-sibling on our father's side who dislikes us because he left their mother to have a child with and marry our mother?

Also what kind of confuses me is:

??? posted:

...You will disappear.

The way it's written in english seems to mean that we're going to disappear, but the structure of the conversation makes it feel like it might be aimed at Utena instead?

All in all, I'm just confused and excited to see where this all goes. My best guess is ??? wants the power to revolutionize the world as inherited revenge for their discarded parent.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Detective mostly because I don't want to ruin our chances at learning things this early in the game.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

It's clear to me that the student council badly needs a laugh after all the worrying events of earlier in the evening

so we should vow to bring the culprit to justice

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
To clarify something real quick, the anime itself seems kind of confused on the issue of where exactly Utena came from. End Of The World specifies that a new duelist will be "arriving" in a letter in the first student council meeting, indicating that she was originally studying elsewhere, but during her altercation with the teacher about her clothes in the same episode, the teacher says something like "Are you intending to make a fool out of me for another year?". Further, Utena is clueless about Ohtori High's campus, but Wakaba is completely clued in from day one and expresses some confusion that Utena isn't; the first episode of the series also implies that a few days at least have passed since the start of semester (as Wakaba's letter to Saionji was apparently something she slipped to him days prior).
Putting all that together, and considering that Ohtori has a connected middle school campus (that Nanami's secretary attends), the explanation that's probably most congruent with the facts is that Utena was attending the middle school and completely ignoring everything going on at a high school level (which is pretty in-character for her).

Also, to an earlier remark about the Black Rose arc being where the anime goes off the rails from the manga - while it is pretty filler (but really good filler!), my understanding is that it was pulled in at the last second, because Takehito Koyasu (Touga's VA... also Zechs Merquise in Gundam Wing, Takahashi Ryosuke in Initial D, Shuu in Super Robot Wars, and Dio in the modern JJBA anime) was unavailable for a period (I've heard rumors he was busy with Initial D but that seems uncharacteristically unprofessional).

I'm not going to go into it until later because it's actually heavy spoilers for like, episode 9 or so, but Touga referring to himself as a "knight" instead of a "prince" is actually really important for his take on Utena's backstory, and once you learn certain other things about him much later it throws his interactions with Utena into a very different perspective.
Speaking of Touga, with regards to the 'Touga and homosexuality' talk from earlier, it's worth pointing out that while it only happens once, early in the show, Miki bumps into Kozue at the door to the piano room and after she shrugs him off, he finds Touga in what is heavily implied to be post-coitus on the piano, at which point Touga obliquely but plainly propositions Miki as well (although he passes it off as a joke).

Quick edit because I left something out that's important: Jury is the captain of the fencing club and it's with good reason. She utterly obliterates Utena when they duel, and even dismisses Utena's attempt at finishing the fight when blessed with the Power of Dios (something that other characters only succeed by doing through trickery; Jury simply parries the strike and leaves Utena sprawling); in both the series and the movie, she only loses because she takes the opportunity to talk smack to Utena and creates an opportunity for something bad to happen. Considering the reveal about what happens with Ruka, it's entirely possible that Jury's duel with him is how she interprets Shiori's betrayal, as her losing to and being unable to measure up to a man Shiori chose.

Also I unironically and unabashadly adore the movie so if you want to know anything about that I'll be happy to give my view on it.

It's definitely a good time for jokes though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ace of Aces fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 2, 2018

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

We need to take this game seriously, and make our decision based on what is in character for Patter Song based on the choices she's made so far. I think it's fairly well established that, in moments of high stress, Patter Song is compelled to tell a joke.

I'm really enjoying the LP so far, very interested to get a little further into the action and find out what's going on.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

We are Ohtiro's greatest detective!

We will CATCH the Culprit

No Miracles.

Although given the range of our investigative skills so far, this is a trick poll. because both are clearly Joke options!

Interesting to see the game actually having the student council involving Utena in duel related discussions. Rather than her just getting randomly accosted by people.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Potsticker posted:

quote:

You will disappear.

The way it's written in english seems to mean that we're going to disappear, but the structure of the conversation makes it feel like it might be aimed at Utena instead?
Oh, it refers to the protagonist.

Veloxyll posted:

We will CATCH the Culprit

Although given the range of our investigative skills so far, this is a trick poll. because both are clearly Joke options!
Could this masked person be the same person we talked to in the fencing hall? :thunk: Now if only we could figure out their biological sex.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

Could this masked person be the same person we talked to in the fencing hall? :thunk: Now if only we could figure out their biological sex.

More to the point, could the person with the 25th circled on her calendar be the person who wants to duel Utena on the 25th?

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Patter Song posted:

More to the point, could the person with the 25th circled on her calendar be the person who wants to duel Utena on the 25th?

That's pretty fuckin' thin. Anorexic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dallbun posted:

Oh, it refers to the protagonist.

Yeah, the translation has been on point so I understood it as being the protagonist, but I consume/produce a lot of-- less well translated media so sometimes a line like that is way more vague and that was just sort of where my thoughts were going as I was reading.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vote is currently 15-14 for Catch the Culprit. I will call the vote when I go to sleep tonight, so get any of those straggler votes in. I'll play update tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, because the vote is so close and because the update is super-short, I will include a "what happened if we picked the other way" in the update.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I want to see where maxing the joke counter takes us

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Catch the Culprit, Battler Song!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, that'll do it. 16-15 for catching the culprit. Calling it.

I will be showing off the joke, though. Don't worry.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I will be showing off the joke, though. Don't worry.
Well, maybe worry a little.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dallbun posted:

That's what we like to hear

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dallbun posted:

Worry a little? I'm sure there can be nothing—

Dallbun, February 2010 posted:

It also deserves to be burned, scoured from the internet, all traces of it wiped away and never spoken of again. :gonk:

—oh. This is going to be one of those updates.

Update X: Sleep Alone Or What?

The vote last time was 16-15 for detective work over joke. Because the vote was this close, I'm going to show the joke first, in a non-canon what-if. Just so we're clear, what follows is not thread-canon.

Soundtrack: Nova https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm-Cez-qu70

Patter Song: (Alright...to break up all this tension, I'm going to have to break out my special gag!)

Special...gag? You mean that dual duels nonsense or the Miki Miki nonsense was you joking...normally? Is this a level beyond mere dad jokes?

:what:

:what:

OK, points for not transliterating the crane martial arts call as "Achoo." Also, Dad Joke point achieved...but at what cost? :ohdear:

Touga: We should just each display due caution.

Can't...conclude? Surely you don't think it's me, Touga-senpai! But we danced together! :ohdear:

Miki: Alright.

Jury: As if we wouldn't have done that regardless.

Saionji: Yes, such words are irrelevant to someone like me, who's always on his guard. :jerkbag:

Saionji is obligated to be the worst person in any scene he's in unless he's wearing an apron. It's the Iron Law of Utena.

Patter Song: (Well, it looks like the conversation turned away from me. My method wasn't very stylish, but I guess it worked.)

For...certain values of worked, I guess. You just humiliated yourself in front of Utena and the entire Student Council on the first day of school and they're all suspicious you sabotaged their masquerade ball and are challenging Utena for possession of the Rose Bride, but sure, count it up as a success.

:siren: Canon Update Begins Here :siren:

Once more into the breach, dear friends, once more.

Patter Song: (I just transferred here, so my words won't carry any weight...I guess I'm going to have to have to catch the perpetrator myself.)

Jury: Oh? You will?

She sounds extremely sarcastic in this voice clip, for good reason.

Touga: The real culprit?

We are going to dedicate the rest of our lives to catching the real killer...until we write a book titled (If) I Challenged Utena and make a killing off of it.

Saionji: Uh...sure.

OK, Protagonist-Us, why do you need this jackass' validation to feel better about yourself?

Patter Song: Under the circumstances, it's natural for you to doubt me, but I didn't do it.

Of course a staunch feminist like Touga believes the woman.

Jury: No matter who did it, we'll find out on the 25th.

Why are we even holding an investigation, again...?

Miki: Anyway, we probably don't have enough information from this event to draw any conclusions. We should just each act as we think best.

That's what we were going to do anyway, right?

Patter Song: (Good. At least they haven't decided that I'm guilty. But should I really have said to leave the matter of the true culprit to me...?)

Unless you want to mention to them that you danced with a strange person who looked a lot like the strange person you saw earlier, that this strange person said she will duel Utena Tenjou and will soon possess the Rose Bride for herself, threatened to make us disappear, and owns a creepy mural with herself and lines to every other person involved in this conversation, who has a calendar with the 25th circled...no, no you shouldn't have. Because if you don't have a suspect already, you're not going to be a good detective.

And here's our reward for vowing to uncover the truth: affinity bumps with everyone but Saionji (who presumably still suspects us). I know some of you are disappointed about missing out on the Joke Point And I'm reasonably certain that you don't need to get every single Joke Point in the game, just past a certain threshold, so you're not out of the running yet if that's your goal, but this is very helpful if your goal is to get onto pretty much anyone's path...except Saionji's, and who cares about that?

Look at that change just since last update!

Soundtrack: Heart's Dice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4WjOy1Bw28

This room looks...very, very empty.

Patter Song: Man, just after transferring, I got caught up in some serious stuff...[yawn] Well, it's alright. At times like this it's best to just collapse and go to sleep...hey, wait.

Ah, just sleep on your trunk. It builds character!

:eyepop:

OK, does young Patter Song Sleep Alone, or does she...um...:blush:

Get your votes in! Until next time, The Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Let's sleep with utena because if hopping in someone's bed is the done thing in this game, then sleeping alone leaves it up to chance who hops in ours.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Sleep alone because we don't know anyone well enough to sleep next to them.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Go see Utena.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
In case it isn't obvious, this is the last vote of Day 1. We've made it a quarter of the way through the game!

Things open up somewhat in Day 2 and Days 2 and 3 are where the real meat of the game is.

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

slumber party!

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Azza Bamboo posted:

Let's sleep with utena because if hopping in someone's bed is the done thing in this game, then sleeping alone leaves it up to chance who hops in ours.

Sleep with Utena and this is the best reason why.

Also because I want to see Utena's reaction to finding another strange girl in her bed. Utena flusters surprisingly easily and it's always hilarious.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

(the Slippery Mambo)
This loses something without the audio. Mostly I'm proud of retaining the general flow of the song chant monstrosity.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Obviously we Sleep with Utena

Was not aware that we were even remotely a suspect.
Edit: Aside from having a suspect sense of humour.

Though we DID get thrown into the Duelist's building, so I guess it makes sense.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really want to vote for sleeping alone, but sleeping alone without a bed is just too harsh. Plus Utena is a nice person and won't mind that we don't want to sleep on the floor. Let's Get in a good night's rest in Utena's bed with her.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I vote for getting in bed with Utena because A: I want to see the logic behind this play out, and B: If we sleep alone there's a 70% chance Akio will just spontaneously appear in the protag's room. Shirtless. I don't think her heart is ready for something like that...

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.
Utena had a Visual Novel?! Well this is a lovely surprise! : D
I got into the series back when I was in high school, so it's fun to see all the love here.

Also, we should sleep alone. This may be an anime game but we don't jump into people's beds willy nilly!

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Sleep alone

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sleep alone, because we don't deserve to sleep with anyone after that bad joke, even if it only happened in an alternate timeline.

Also, because we don't know how possessive people are about other people yet, and sleeping with anyone at this point may result in organs being perforated by sharp objects.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Just blitzed through this thread in one sitting. Utena is likely my favorite thing ever. Seriously was mind blowing to watch copied vhs tapes of early fansubs with a friend of mine when they came out here.

Go see Utena

Additional question: What is Mikage doing in the opening video? Does he even show up? He is my favorite character.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 7, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Sleep with Utena before someone else jumps on us

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's see if Akio spontaneously manifests in our room if we sleep alone

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So glad to see new readers!

lokipunk posted:

Additional question: What is Mikage doing in the opening video? Does he even show up? He is my favorite character.

No comment.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My assumption, and this is a complete guess and not a spoiler but I'm blacking it out anyway, is that Mikage is there to foreshadow that spooky lady is a g-g-g-g-ghost. Also assuming that spooky lady was in love with Patter's mom and is going to erase Patter as a result of making the relationship between her parents not happen.

EDIT: Also, sleep with Utena. Sleepovers are fun, right?

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Sleep alone. It's what we deserve for not lightening the mood with a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sleep with Utena. Sounds like an amazing sleepover. :toot: