Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlphaDog posted:

If there's no scope at all to have "you beat him, he returns" happen, then yep, I'm wrong as gently caress.

He does eventually reform after a few months, but that's a problem for whoever was dumb enough to stay in Barovia and not the PCs, who either immediately left or stuck around and are already strong enough to defeat him.

The powers that keep Strahd bound to the land just want him to suffer, so they wouldn't give a gently caress if he's just constantly coming back to get his poo poo kicked in by a group of adventurers who decided to become the new Barovian lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ravenloft is so genre railroaded that having the Mists swoop in and kick out the PCs just as they're going to coup de grace Strahd is completely setting appropriate. Escaping is pretty much the best victory you can hope for.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

koreban posted:

missed opportunity to do the Symphony of the Night upside-down castle continuation with the "real" Strahd at the end.

That wasn't Strahd, that was his half vampire son Dharts, now you have to fight the real Strahd.

Also he wasn't there because he was out drinking with his friends, the medusa, Frankenstein's Monster and a giant eyeball bat, but dad's home now!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

He does eventually reform after a few months, but that's a problem for whoever was dumb enough to stay in Barovia and not the PCs, who either immediately left or stuck around and are already strong enough to defeat him.

The powers that keep Strahd bound to the land just want him to suffer, so they wouldn't give a gently caress if he's just constantly coming back to get his poo poo kicked in by a group of adventurers who decided to become the new Barovian lords.

Given that, could you have said mysterious powers adjust the respawn timer and make him return, stronger, for no obvious player-facing reason, every time they kill him, until the "right" final encounter? That'd probably be even scarier than "he shrugs your bullshit off completely and runs away again" anyway. (Dunno if those are spoilers, trying to be safe about it). I guess that's railroad-ish but it fits the genre and even the specific setting altering only the timing

Maybe I'm way off base, but that sounds like a fairly minor-effort rewrite?

I mean, obviously everyone do whatever they like, but I hate the idea of a reasonable use of a PC's ability just not working because oops we didn't think about that one and it can't quite be game over just yet.

e: Just thought of something that's maybe making me talk past people. Answer in spoilers if you gotta. The PC victory condition is still escape Barovia, right?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 1, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

hyphz posted:

That would break AlphaDog’s E2 principle above.

He's wrong on that. If the big bad shows up to taunt you and you own him unexpectedly, hooray! Now the DM might need a week off to figure out what happens with the bbegs power structure - who is now in charge? Is it the party? Do they gain incredible renown?

It's David vs Goliath and you hit the million to one shot. Own it

A similar example would be my last campaign wheee I asked for thoughts about fighting a near invulnerable king. One suggestion was to use the smallpox out break we'd quarantined off and spread it to his army , which is exactly what I did. I found out later that the DM absolutely had not expected that and instead of it not working, it caused a gigantic plague, ruined their homeland, and the king found out what had happened and went berserk and started lobbing plague corpses into the fortified cities he was besieging. My character
Ended up being a hated pariah who got thousands of people killed horribly just to try to stop a different king from being in charge .
Thats a massively better outcome than "the plague didn't work"

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 1, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

He's wrong on that. If the big bad shows up to taunt you and you own him unexpectedly, hooray! Now the DM might need a week off to figure out what happens with the bbegs power structure - who is now in charge? Is it the party? Do they gain incredible renown?

At a guess (my main groups don't usually do published adventures, over the last 10+ years we played maybe 3 or 4), people are particularly unwilling to say "ah, yeah, module's over" when they're only 5% through a 50 buck (or whatever cost, really) book.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexVC8vYABM

The answer to that is that Strahd doesn't lower himself to acutally *leave* his castle. He shows up in the flames to deliver his message and summon his minions to intimidate the party.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

koreban posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexVC8vYABM

The answer to that is that Strahd doesn't lower himself to acutally *leave* his castle. He shows up in the flames to deliver his message and summon his minions to intimidate the party.

I always feel like there's a certain disservice made by putting stats for a 'generic' vampire or lich down in a book. A vampire (or any other major intelligent undead) needs to be a template put on top of an existing character. Vampire thralls? Sure, whatever. But you don't just put generic stats down on Dracula.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlphaDog posted:

e: Just thought of something that's maybe making me talk past people. Answer in spoilers if you gotta. The PC victory condition is still escape Barovia, right?

Yes.

But so is Strahd's.

The Curse of Strahd is that for all his power he will never succeed. All he has left is regrets and spite, and the unfortunate souls trapped in Barovia alongside him that he can take out his frustrations on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

If there's no scope at all to have "you beat him, he returns" happen, then yep, I'm wrong as gently caress.

There's scope within the setting. Ravenloft as a setting won't let him stay dead because it isn't done loving with him yet. Most D&D players aren't really.looking for a setting like that, though.

I think the only Domain Lord that's ever actually managed to get out of Ravenloft was Lord Soth, and even then it was because the Dark Powers couldn't hurt him any worse than being back on Krynn where his own gods could screw him over for his own choices.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 2, 2018

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes.

But so is Strahd's.

The Curse of Strahd is that for all his power he will never succeed. All he has left is regrets and spite, and the unfortunate souls trapped in Barovia alongside him that he can take out his frustrations on.

In a situation where a choice is forced, Barovia itself will conspire to keep Strahd imprisoned and separate him from something that might allow him to escape, or 'escape,' from his torment. This could lead to the PCs escaping. It could also leave the PCs at the tender mercies of some other prisoner of the Demiplane. As far as I'm aware the only person who has ever escaped from the Demiplane when it had a place set aside for them was Lord Soth, who simply sat down and refused to play ball because he was too self aware.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I... think I might have remembered Soth's thing as Strahd's. It's been a long rear end time since I played any Ravenloft, and longer since I read any dragonlance.

Gearhead posted:

I always feel like there's a certain disservice made by putting stats for a 'generic' vampire or lich down in a book. A vampire (or any other major intelligent undead) needs to be a template put on top of an existing character. Vampire thralls? Sure, whatever. But you don't just put generic stats down on Dracula.

That's D&D for you though. Reduce the vastly complex story involving Perseus son of Zeus and Medusa the Gorgon to "a medusa, which you can run up and hit to death if you make your saves".

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

But I want to kill it. How can I kill it if it doesn't have a numbers :saddowns:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pollyanna posted:

But I want to kill it. How can I kill it if it doesn't have a numbers :saddowns:

Be a wizard

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

koreban posted:

Do you have an example in mind? Genuinely interested to see how it's handled in other systems.

Uhh, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but you know hes talking about D&D 4e right?

Also I've made all healing bonus actions, from potions, cure wounds, lay on hands etc. And god its made the back and forth of HP so much more interesting.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
One of my buddies who's a regular in my RPG's asked me to run a game for 4 of his friends from work who are interested in learning about tabletop RPG's, and D&D specifically. They have no experience with traditional gaming at all, besides the Milton Bradley kind, and maybe Cards Against Humanity. I'm happy to introduce people to roleplaying, so I accepted, but need a little help from you guys.

Things I know:
- They want to play D&D specifically, so I'm stuck with 5e despite liking SotDL, Strike!, Dungeon World and 13th Age more, each for a different reason.
- I don't want to lie to them and say we're playing "D&D" and run another system.
- I feel like "Lost Mines of Phandelver" is my best option for introducing a new group to D&D; I've run it before and I hated running "Horde of the Dragon Queen". Is there a better introductory adventure I could use instead? I have access to all of the first season of the Adventurer's League scenarios too.
- I'll be making a pregen of each class for everyone to choose from.

Things I'll change:
- Characters start at level 3. This should fix the "killed by a Goblin" issue at level 1 and actually give characters some mechanical identity.
- I'll be using gradenko's fixed monster table and his "Monster on a business card" formulas when necessary.
- Increasing the difficulty of whatever adventure I run to be fit for level 3 characters from the get-go.
- Milestone leveling instead of counting experience points.
- Maximum HP at level 1, average HP each level afterwards.
- Not rolling for healing during short rests, just giving the maximum possible. (I really want to use Healing Surges, but think that's too far of a digression.)

Things I'm unsure of:
- Giving all characters a Feat at Level 1, and another when their Proficiency Bonus increases, as suggested by this thread.
- Using the UA Ranger instead of the PHB Ranger. I'm pretty sure this is necessary.
- Anything that I've missed that "fixes" 5e to be a better experience for everyone involved.

Any help would be awesome, I really appreciate the discussions that happen in here so when I'm forced to play or run 5e by my friends I can make it tolerable.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Red Hood posted:

One of my buddies who's a regular in my RPG's asked me to run a game for 4 of his friends from work who are interested in learning about tabletop RPG's, and D&D specifically. They have no experience with traditional gaming at all, besides the Milton Bradley kind, and maybe Cards Against Humanity. I'm happy to introduce people to roleplaying, so I accepted, but need a little help from you guys.

Things I know:
- They want to play D&D specifically, so I'm stuck with 5e despite liking SotDL, Strike!, Dungeon World and 13th Age more, each for a different reason.
- I don't want to lie to them and say we're playing "D&D" and run another system.
- I feel like "Lost Mines of Phandelver" is my best option for introducing a new group to D&D; I've run it before and I hated running "Horde of the Dragon Queen". Is there a better introductory adventure I could use instead? I have access to all of the first season of the Adventurer's League scenarios too.

Horde of the Dragon Queen is bad. I would highly recommend that assuming your party finishes LMoP at level 5, you give them an opportunity to decide how they want to proceed. You can introduce ideas like "there are reports of the Giants up north acting up" (Storm King's Thunder) or "some villagers went missing recently, leaving nothing but blood and ash in their stead" )Curse of Strahd), or "Some clerics are going crazy because their resurrection spells aren't working any longer, and no one can commune with the dead" (Tomb of Annihilation), etc. You can also go off the printed path if they decide that they want to work towards something else.

quote:

Things I'll change:
- Characters start at level 3. This should fix the "killed by a Goblin" issue at level 1 and actually give characters some mechanical identity.
- I'll be using gradenko's fixed monster table and his "Monster on a business card" formulas when necessary.
- Increasing the difficulty of whatever adventure I run to be fit for level 3 characters from the get-go.
- Not rolling for healing during short rests, just giving the maximum possible. (I really want to use Healing Surges, but think that's too far of a digression.)

All but the last one are fine. Healing up entirely every rest period really mitigates risk for the players. It may work for some people, but if you want them to have to work and feel a little pressed for resources from time to time, don't use that system. Make it clear that retreat is always an option and sometimes going headlong into battle when you're not at 100% isn't the best idea.

quote:

Things I'm unsure of:
- Giving all characters a Feat at Level 1, and another when their Proficiency Bonus increases, as suggested by this thread.
- Using the UA Ranger instead of the PHB Ranger. I'm pretty sure this is necessary.
- Anything that I've missed that "fixes" 5e to be a better experience for everyone involved.

Any help would be awesome, I really appreciate the discussions that happen in here so when I'm forced to play or run 5e by my friends I can make it tolerable.

The feat thing is your choice. If your players are min/maxers, you can work yourself into a hole where they'll lock down encounters and just destroy stuff with PAM/GWM/Sentinel Deep Stalker tanks and CBM/WC warlocks and clerics and such. Adjusting encounter difficulty up should be something you look into if you go that route.

The PHB ranger is okay, especially with the Gloom Stalker and Horizon Walker archetypes from Xanathar's guide. Use UA ranger if they want to go BM, but otherwise, it's not a significant difference.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Just to toss this out there, do they want to play D&D, or do they want to play 5th Edition D&D? If they're not looking for 5th edition specifically, that's at least some flex room.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Not gonna comment on the published adventures or AL stuff because I mainly play home-made settings and adventures.

Red Hood posted:

Make pregens if you need to, but keep them customisable and listen to the players so you can suggest things and make changes that will be closer to what they want. (eg: Do they want to be a wizard or are they wanting the shapeshifting thing from legend and/or disney's sword in the stone?)

Red Hood posted:

All good. "Max hp at level 1" isn't even a change these days. Also, you probably know but it messes some people up: "Average" hp should be (for example) 5 on 1d8 like it says in the book, not 4.

A common suggestion for starting at level 1 is +10hp or even +20. We've done +10 starting at level 3 and it didn't make things easy by any stretch.

Red Hood posted:

If you mean "max of hit dice spent" then yeah, ok.

If you mean "heal to max hp", that's far too much free healing to keep the rest/resource structure anywhere near where it's supposed to be. (e

Red Hood posted:

Things I'm unsure of:

Yep, and yep.

Red Hood posted:

Something my groups do, that I would always do too, is to just make the rest/replenish thing happen. Won't suit everyone, suits us great.

Every 2 fights, recover your poo poo as if you had a short rest. Every 6-8 fights, recover your poo poo as if you had a long rest. Adjust the narrative to fit that, or ignore the narrative and just have the refreshes happen. I'll see if I can find my effortpost about it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 2, 2018

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

koreban posted:

Horde of the Dragon Queen is bad. I would highly recommend that assuming your party finishes LMoP at level 5, you give them an opportunity to decide how they want to proceed. You can introduce ideas like "there are reports of the Giants up north acting up" (Storm King's Thunder) or "some villagers went missing recently, leaving nothing but blood and ash in their stead" )Curse of Strahd), or "Some clerics are going crazy because their resurrection spells aren't working any longer, and no one can commune with the dead" (Tomb of Annihilation), etc. You can also go off the printed path if they decide that they want to work towards something else.

All but the last one are fine. Healing up entirely every rest period really mitigates risk for the players. It may work for some people, but if you want them to have to work and feel a little pressed for resources from time to time, don't use that system. Make it clear that retreat is always an option and sometimes going headlong into battle when you're not at 100% isn't the best idea.

The feat thing is your choice. If your players are min/maxers, you can work yourself into a hole where they'll lock down encounters and just destroy stuff with PAM/GWM/Sentinel Deep Stalker tanks and CBM/WC warlocks and clerics and such. Adjusting encounter difficulty up should be something you look into if you go that route.

The PHB ranger is okay, especially with the Gloom Stalker and Horizon Walker archetypes from Xanathar's guide. Use UA ranger if they want to go BM, but otherwise, it's not a significant difference.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

Yeah, I really hated HotDQ, especially after I realized that it was a giant circle and the caravan section is filler/unnecessary. I really appreciate the ideas of moving into another adventure with those segues.

RE: Healing up - I didn't mean giving everyone a full heal, just that when they spend a Hit Die, they get the maximum value of that Hit Die instead of rolling it.

RE: PHB Ranger - I'll just step around Beast Master entirely. If someone is dying to have a combat pet, we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it. \

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Just to toss this out there, do they want to play D&D, or do they want to play 5th Edition D&D? If they're not looking for 5th edition specifically, that's at least some flex room.

My buddy already let the cat out of the bag and told them the most current edition is 5e, so we're stuck with it. In a way I'm okay with it since balancing 3.0/3.5 is a chore to me and the learning curve for 4e is pretty high imo. I've accepted my fate.

EDIT:

AlphaDog posted:

Not gonna comment on the published adventures or AL stuff because I mainly play home-made settings and adventures.

Make pregens if you need to, but keep them customisable and listen to the players so you can suggest things and make changes that will be closer to what they want.

All good. "Max hp at level 1" isn't even a change these days.

Also, you probably know but it messes some people up: "Average" hp should be (for example) 5 on 1d8 like it says in the book, not 4.

If you mean "max of hit dice spent" then yeah, ok.

If you mean "heal to max hp", that's far too much free healing to keep the rest/resource structure anywhere near where it's supposed to be.

Yep, and yep.

Something my groups do, that I would always do too, is to just make the rest/replenish thing happen. Won't suit everyone, suits us great.

Every 2 fights, recover your poo poo as if you had a short rest. Every 6-8 fights, recover your poo poo as if you had a long rest. Adjust the narrative to fit that, or ignore the narrative and just have the refreshes happen. I'll see if I can find my effortpost about it.

Thanks for all this. I did mean "max of Hit Dice spent".

I really like the idea of just having the short and long rests "happen"; I'll keep an eye out for that effortpost since this was something I had forgotten about and was dreading on how to handle it.

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 2, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can understand the hesitance to just prank the campaign antagonist to death.

Though at this point Strahd is barely even a vampire when you get down to it?

He could walk out into the sun and go "It's cool, I'm loving STRAHD." Because he'll be back next Tuesday at the latest, if it even hurts him at all depending on your GM.

... Now I'm imagining a campaign based on Strahd just popping up CONSTANTLY, as a running joke, that a deliberately over leveled party considers an annoyance as they work towards leaving, or any other goals.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Red Hood posted:

I really like the idea of just having the short and long rests "happen"; I'll keep an eye out for that effortpost since this was something I had forgotten about and was dreading on how to handle it.

Can't find exactly what I was thinking of, but the gist is that you decouple "rest" from "refresh". "Refresh" becomes a purely mechanical thing that gives you back spells, abilities, and hit points, and then you fit it into the narrative (or not) as suits you.

Short rest = "small refresh", Long Rest = "big refresh". You get a small refresh every 2 fights. You get a big refresh every 6-8 fights. Each big refresh marks the end of an adventuring day adventure section.

It's best used as a heavily abstracted pacing mechanic, which means plenty of people will straight up hate it for not always "working the same" - because each adventure section always has 6-8 fights, you always get a small refresh every 2 fights and a big one at the end, but narratively the section could be a 6 month sea voyage, 5 weeks jungle trek, a week's caravan guard duty, 5 minutes room-to-room fighting in the dungeon, or whatever else.

The other way to do it of course is to bend the narrative to meet the mechanic, so you're building encounter chains 6-8 fights long with spaces for a 5-30 minute breather every 2 fights and space for "overnight" at the end. One of my DMs does it like this, and it's fine. Players won't even notice that there's "always" 6, 7, or 8 fights per day, especially if, for example, you occasionally chain (eg) fights 3 and 4 into one long fight with 2 parts.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
See, that sounds like it's basing off of the recommended encounters a day thing from the DMG. But I never, ever read that as meaning 6-8 fights but as a mixture of combat encounters and social encounters.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Red Hood posted:

My buddy already let the cat out of the bag and told them the most current edition is 5e, so we're stuck with it. In a way I'm okay with it since balancing 3.0/3.5 is a chore to me and the learning curve for 4e is pretty high imo. I've accepted my fate.

Do you know why they want to play D&D specifically? I get it's probably just the cultural cachet the game has, but who knows, maybe you can talk them into playing something else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Red Hood posted:

My standard recommendation is to convert Healing Hit Dice into Reserve Points.

You have Reserve Points equal to your Maximum Hit Points.
Whenever you take a Short Rest, you can convert your Reserve Points into Hit Points at a 1-to-1 ratio.
Whenever you take a Long Rest, you regain Reserve Points equal to half your maximum.

This both removes the unpredictability of the mechanic, while also removing the problem of trying to "fit" discrete amounts of healing into uneven deficits.

Arthil posted:

See, that sounds like it's basing off of the recommended encounters a day thing from the DMG. But I never, ever read that as meaning 6-8 fights but as a mixture of combat encounters and social encounters.

You're technically correct that an "encounter" does not need to be combat, per se, but a "social encounter" also needs to have stakes that involve the daily resources of a party (specifically, Hit Points).

If it does not, then it doesn't matter.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

As long as it uses up limited resources (hp, spells, etc), it counts.

But look on page 84 of the DMG - "The adventuring day". The context is that it's just been talking, for pages, about "encounters" in terms of monsters overcome and xp gained from that, and "might lose a few hit points" etc, and then it goes straight into 6-to-8 medium-to-hard encounters as a "day" and talking about using "how much XP can they earn" as a guideline for making sure your combat encounter building is right.

I don't know how you read that as anything other than "combat encounters, 6-8 per day".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 2, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Social encounters don't really use resources. You might spend cash and maybe a spell or two, but it's really not draining you on the level of a fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Section Z posted:

I can understand the hesitance to just prank the campaign antagonist to death.

Though at this point Strahd is barely even a vampire when you get down to it?

He could walk out into the sun and go "It's cool, I'm loving STRAHD." Because he'll be back next Tuesday at the latest, if it even hurts him at all depending on your GM.

... Now I'm imagining a campaign based on Strahd just popping up CONSTANTLY, as a running joke, that a deliberately over leveled party considers an annoyance as they work towards leaving, or any other goals.

That's just not something Strahd would do. One of his stated goals and the reason he is luring outsiders into Barovia is that he wants to find someone to succeed him as Lord of Barovia. Thinking he may have found a loop hole in his imprisonment. Namely that as the Lord of the Land he is bound there, but he can let others come and go, so if someone else was lord of the land he could likely leave. However Strahd still feels a sense of responsibly towards his domain, and won't just give it over to some random person, So he tests and observes newcomers he lures to his land to see if they could succeed him. ( Liking people most like himself as he views the traits he has as good in a ruler.) However in the end Strahd's arrogance no matter what happens, leads him to think that none of the party is worthy of his throne so he decides to do away with them. (Which is whenever the DM decides to swap from Strahd is toying with the party, to Strahd is going to murder the party.)

So Strahd despite having a feasible plan, won't enact it cause no matter what he will never consider another person worthy of succeeding him. He just does not realize this. Most of Strahd's problems are a result of things like this.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 2, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wrestlepig posted:

Social encounters don't really use resources. You might spend cash and maybe a spell or two, but it's really not draining you on the level of a fight.

I mean, it could, it just requires a reframing of mechanics in a way that's mostly up to the DM to conjure up themselves, the simplest being "if you fail, you take xd6 damage", justified however narratively

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Wrestlepig posted:

Does anyone actually use renown points out of p22 DMG?

I'm asking as I've resorted to those for the mechanic side of a maneuver affecting reputation, but really I've used renown points just to illustrate how the DM should think about it, rather than thinking it will literally be calculated in most games.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wrestlepig posted:

This is only true if you think of social encounters as conversations wherein players roll for persuasion or intimidation.

Instead think of social encounters where you might have to use calm emotions, suggestion, minor illusion, or have the rogue run off to purloin a macguffin while your bard keeps a guy distracted.

Diplomatic encounter have a place, but your default scenarios shouldn’t be “fight to the death” or “have the face character roll high persuasion”.

Make the people they’re interacting with have just as finely a tuned sense of self preservation *AND* not like your party. Like, at all. So you have to overcome their suspicions to even interact with you beyond telling you to get out. And even if everything goes well, they’re not going to be friends or give up information on one of their own.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

koreban posted:

This is only true if you think of social encounters as conversations wherein players roll for persuasion or intimidation.

Instead think of social encounters where you might have to use calm emotions, suggestion, minor illusion, or have the rogue run off to purloin a macguffin while your bard keeps a guy distracted.

Diplomatic encounter have a place, but your default scenarios shouldn’t be “fight to the death” or “have the face character roll high persuasion”.

Make the people they’re interacting with have just as finely a tuned sense of self preservation *AND* not like your party. Like, at all. So you have to overcome their suspicions to even interact with you beyond telling you to get out. And even if everything goes well, they’re not going to be friends or give up information on one of their own.

So, like Wrestlepig said. Doesn't really use resources, maybe just a spell or two at most but not resource draining on the level of a fight. I'm not sure what you are arguing against here.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

koreban posted:

Do you think that a battle and a social situation use up similar amounts of the same resources?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Make the murderhobos lose 1hp per civil word spoken as they eat themselves alive, from the inside out, suppressing their murderhobo ways.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

koreban posted:

I'm talking about resource consumption rather than Time Spent. It's pretty rare to have a social scene use up more than a couple of spells and maybe cash, since there's no resources tied to Bluff mechanically and the social spells can trivialize them, especially if you don't care about their reaction

E: there's also HP for traps and poo poo although those rarely make a big impact in your modern D&D

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 2, 2018

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

kingcom posted:

So, like Wrestlepig said. Doesn't really use resources, maybe just a spell or two at most but not resource draining on the level of a fight. I'm not sure what you are arguing against here.

I’m not arguing against anything. I’m arguing for more dynamic social encounters that require time, coordination, and resources beyond rolling for persuasion.

Strictly speaking, it shouldn’t be as resource intensive as a fight, but it doesn’t have to be resource neutral either.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Calm Emotions. Everyone knows it as the spell that keeps you from being frightened. But there’s another paragraph. You can cast it on someone to cause them to be indifferent to creatures it would normally take hostile action against. You can’t take hostile actions against his buddies, and generally he should know when the spell fades that it went down, but he may not, explicitly stated in the text of the spell.

Maybe your social encounter is to take a key from the desk of a jailer. The jailer wasn’t going to give up the key or take a bribe, regardless of how hard they rolled on persuasion.

Use Calm Emotions to make him not care, swipe the key, and get out before it breaks so you can get away.

It used a second level spell slot, which is fairly valuable through level 6 or 7. Maybe your players dropped a minor illusion on the way out to distract the jailer or guards. The rogue was hiding so when the jailer took off after the illusionary thief, the rogue could break the prisoner out.

Small resource cost, some risk for future trouble if they’re recognized, but a more fun way to do the event than the usual persuade or quest for a reward tropes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kingcom posted:

Uhh, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but you know hes talking about D&D 4e right?

Also I've made all healing bonus actions, from potions, cure wounds, lay on hands etc. And god its made the back and forth of HP so much more interesting.
No I'm talking about the FFG funny dice games :v: my page snipe was about 4e though.

koreban posted:

Do you have an example in mind? Genuinely interested to see how it's handled in other systems.
WFRP3 has the same "take a (critical) wound when you go down" mechanic, but cwounds all have minor mechanical impacts. You draw to see what wound you get, which will have a minor impact on your character for the duration of the fight. Then after the fight you roll to see which ones are sticking around to bother you until you get some proper medical attention. Crits against players and major enemies also draw cwounds instead of doing extra damage, while minor enemies just take bonus damage based on the severity of the cwound drawn. A PC or major enemy who runs out of HP is just out of the fight and will recover fine if left alone. You only die if you're on the ground and have too many cwounds, or someone actively murders you.

It's a neat system that ties into a whole bunch of game effects, including some stuff I haven't covered here. It's well integrated and addresses multiple gameplay issues. The P2E thing by comparison as described here is a weird little isolated subsystem that addresses a very narrow problem. In my opinion the bookkeeping to benefit ratio is not so good. The above system couldn't be ported directly into Pathfinder due to a number of system differences (tiered success dice pool vs binary roll over being the biggest hurdle), but I'd expect something of similar quality and system integration in a major studio publication.

koreban posted:

No, it was a continuation of the thought about your statement about a counter with little to no impact on the game other than to draw the combat out.
We've definitely got some crossed wires somewhere, I never talked about wounds drawing the combat out and you seem to be talking about legendary actions and legendary resistances. I think someone else said that about the health regen legendary action, but it wasn't me!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 2, 2018

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

at that point we're not playing a game, I'm being allowed to partially narrate myself through someone else's story.

Welcome to D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey! I see we had another derail so I wanted to post something.

A while ago, Covok put this rule about Z chat in the OP:

Covok posted:

And I'm following this up with a new thread rule: No More Arguing Or Discussing These Events In This Thread. Take It To The Industry Thread Instead, Where Such Arguments Are Expected.

I haven't really been enforcing it because I felt like it was something I should trust the thread to do on its own, so I've just been probating the most hostile posts and leaving it at that. But we're still having the same derail with the same posters over and over lately, and bunch of posts even acknowledge that it's a derail so I know you know better.

So, I queued up a bunch of probations. In the future please just take the topic to the industry thread, minus the really hostile parts. If it happens again anyway I'm just gonna start probating for it on principle.

Besides that, here are some other things I wanted to mention. I'm not naming names because this is useful to know for everyone and also who cares:
  • You don't need to post just to explain/justify another post you made. Post about Next, don't post about posting.
  • If your post is basically just "shut the gently caress up" or a crack about another poster's mental health, don't post that either.
  • As far as posts about victims of harassment go, "Well personally I would just shrug it off so this didn't happen" is not helpful in any situation.
  • Yes, it is true that the dude namesearches people talking about him and tells people to make posts on his behalf. It is also true that posts accusing other people of doing this are often wrong but definitely the worst!!