Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Do Payday 2 LMGs count?

https://i.imgur.com/Pm1H5Ek.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The family of Covert Ops mod & mutators was definitely awesome for how easy it was to get working with WoRM, ordinary levels, and the bot AI. Some of the weapon models were pretty drat crude--even for the modding scene in the early 2000's (just compare them to something like Tactical Ops, Night's Edge, or Combat Zone)--but the eclectic mix of realistic firearms was a nice change of pace: Suppressed SMGs, Thompson submachine guns, 12-gauge semi autos, AK47s, etc. Pretty much everything could wreck somebody super fast and turn the "no man's land" of CTF maps into another flavor of instakill, but it was worth it.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Strangely enough Operation Flashpoint has one level that is just indelibly inscribed in my brain. I remember some mission where you’re separated from everyone and you have to crawl through a forest for a million miles to reach some rendezvous point to group up with your squad. God knows how good that level (or game!) actually was but, man, that poo poo was more intense than any game I think I’ve played since. I haven’t touched OpFlash since it came out but that memory is still loving right there.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Ah hell now I'm remembering some HL1 mod that was as tacticool as possible. No HUD, instakill with almost any shot, different "tactical missions" like saving hostage NPCs from a cottage taken over by terrorists. Pretty cool mod that seemed to have a lot of it's better parts absorbed by future AAA fps titles.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BaconCopter posted:

Ah hell now I'm remembering some HL1 mod that was as tacticool as possible. No HUD, instakill with almost any shot, different "tactical missions" like saving hostage NPCs from a cottage taken over by terrorists. Pretty cool mod that seemed to have a lot of it's better parts absorbed by future AAA fps titles.

Remember the HL1 mod list in Steam that was, like, 80% mods that were abandoned in the ‘90s?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just in time for October, Monolith's Aliens Vs. Predator 2 gets a little love from the modding community:

https://www.avp2msp.com/index.html

The Master Server Patch team made an official site where you can snag the new patch, alongside a (maybe :filez: ?) full game download, complete with patches and the expansion.

So far it works swimmingly, though with my timezone I doubt I'll see much activity for multiplayer:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember the HL1 mod list in Steam that was, like, 80% mods that were abandoned in the ‘90s?

Hey, I remember you! You were an exceptionally bad fake leader for a bad outfit for a dead and gay game by a bad company!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Probably the tenth time someone said this in the thread, but the Soldier of Fortune games are out on GOG now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ChickenHeart posted:

Just in time for October, Monolith's Aliens Vs. Predator 2 gets a little love from the modding community:

The Master Server Patch team made an official site where you can snag the new patch, alongside a (maybe :filez: ?) full game download, complete with patches and the expansion.

So far it works swimmingly, though with my timezone I doubt I'll see much activity for multiplayer:

Very interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

Wow, other people who have even heard of Infiltration. Great game/mod, and I still remember the devs musing that they had no real path forwards into a U2 engine, with America's Army coming around the corner. Different times, man.

Mierenneuker posted:

I too enjoyed Infiltration for UT, much more than any of the other tactilol mods. My load-out of choice was a MP5 with two clips*, shotgun with no extra ammo and a single grenade. Being mobile and rushing at the start was great.

*Infiltration forums anno 2001 are triggered

Kadorhal posted:

The best part about Infiltration was, in the later versions that tried to be a whole separate game with its own gameplay mechanics and maps and everything - if you, like me, didn't quite have the patience to work with that, you could run the game normally and just spawn the weapons in through the console and play with them with bots who had an idea what they were doing (I didn't get into it until it was old news, unfortunately, so I never played it with other people).

Infiltration ex-players ahoy!
I think it's one of my most played games, it's very rough estimation, but I would say I played 500 hours.

I liked too the P90, and surprise people by rushing with it, as the 'meta' was to play around slowly and carefully. I also remember having fun with the Minimi and penetration...

Funnily enough, I tried to play some similar games, searching to replicate the experience, and nothing worked. I think I don't have the patience anymore for this kind of game.

The Operation Flashpoint mission of being the last surviving member of your squad, alone in a hostile area, having only a rough direction of the extraction point, it's one of the highlights of my gaming history.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BaconCopter posted:

Hey, I remember you! You were an exceptionally bad fake leader for a bad outfit for a dead and gay game by a bad company!

That’s me!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Luigi Thirty posted:

BaconCopter posted:

:confused:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I don't know either.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Aha hey I haven't seen you in a long while:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i thought dust got shut down

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

site posted:

i thought dust got shut down

Apparently it just did at the end of September but they're already talking about a new project called Nova or something and asking people to reserve names to get veteran awards.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wasn't CCP sold to some Korean sweatshop enabler?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ChickenHeart posted:

thanks for this

e: btw someone was asking about qzdoom a couple days ago, i was looking for new gz builds on drd and noticed that Q just got updated today for the first time in like months

site fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 3, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Can I play the Doom Tournament mod on GZDoom yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSDQLHp83E

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

That looks pretty neat.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
The secret behind the berserk pack REVEALED

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shadow Warrior 2 is free on GOG.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Christ, I thought that was an onion article at first. That whole cluster of sites has the same look.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The absolute nerve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i465zmhzOmg

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Love me some free games

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, this definitely has my attention...but the jerky framerate of the trailer is kind of off-putting, right?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Holy poo poo. If not for the HUD (and the framerate), I wouldn't be able to distinguish this from Overload at all. Is this as horrifically pathetic as I think it is, or am I being hyperbolic?

e; Okay, I guess rocky surface textures look a lot better, but everything else looks considerably worse. Still, it looks pretty similar at a glance.

treat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 5, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

treat posted:

Holy poo poo. If not for the HUD (and the framerate), I wouldn't be able to distinguish this from Overload at all. Is this as horrifically pathetic as I think it is, or am I being hyperbolic?

e; Okay, I guess rocky surface textures look a lot better, but everything else looks considerably worse. Still, it looks pretty similar at a glance.

You know Overload is just Legally Distinct Descent, right? Descent came first.

Anyway, the video looks like garbage. Bad contrast, bad framerate and slow movement makes it look super unappealing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

You know Overload is just Legally Distinct Descent, right? Descent came first.
I think the more important thing here is that Overload is actual former Descent developers making a new Descent game (only not using the license since they no longer have it), while this... presumably isn't.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
New Descent is the old license, new developers; Overload is the old developers, new license.

My point was mostly that of course new Descent is going to look like Overload, because Overload looked like old Descent.

However, Overload was also super silky smooth and very good, and there's something jarring about the video of new Descent that makes it look really unappealing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Descent Underground is made by ex Star Citizen devs, which should tell you all you need to know. And from that trailer alone, it looks like a janky, visual mess, completely at odds with Overload's simplistic but very clear look.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

RyokoTK posted:

My point was mostly that of course new Descent is going to look like Overload, because Overload looked like old Descent.

Neither game "looks" like Descent, or any game from more than 20 years ago for that matter. The graphical stylings, metalic reflections, bloom, and dynamic lighting of this new Descent do look identical to Overload, though. It comes across as a total ape on the visual style of Overload, but inconsistent and poorly implemented.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

More shooters need soundtracks like Descent 2's

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

BaconCopter posted:

This reminds me of the Frag.Ops UT2k4 mod, which IIRC was very tacticool and was a ton of fun. Man, I haven't thought about that mod in ages but I played the poo poo out of it back in the day.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Good soup! posted:

More shooters need soundtracks like Descent 2's

Does Overload have Steam Workshop support? It could use some soundtrack mods.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

Does Overload have Steam Workshop support? It could use some soundtrack mods.
No workshop support, but there's a level editor as free DLC. I think it only supports custom levels, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two things:

1) if this doesn’t have VR on PC, it’s dead to me because
2) Overload has VR on PC and is also made by ex-Descent devs

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know if it's funny or sad that my steam wishlist is this:

Next stuff on the list is Insurgency: Sandstorm, Pit People, Fight'N Rage, Inmortal Redneck and Prey. Most of this stuff are indie games that are throwbacks to 90's.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

BaconCopter posted:

Hostile intent maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Guillermus posted:

I don't know if it's funny or sad that my steam wishlist is this:

Next stuff on the list is Insurgency: Sandstorm, Pit People, Fight'N Rage, Inmortal Redneck and Prey. Most of this stuff are indie games that are throwbacks to 90's.

I'd say rejoice.