Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its October! Time to start this proper and good. As of now I’m discounting all my September watches for the end count (until I burn out or poo poo happens and I need them). The goal is, as always, 31 unwatched films in 31 days. Last year I made it harder by accepting the challenge of another poster and watching a film from every year from 2017 to 1987. 31 years in 31 days. I absolutely loved it because it made me branch out to places I never usually watch, check out classics I had never gotten around to, and just generally gave me something to tackle. So I’m bringing that back this year and just counting back. 1986 to 1956. 31 years in 31 days, TWO. While the first one forced me to go through the 80s, 90s, and 2000s I had lived through and knew many of the bigger classics and standouts this one will take me back to from before I was around and the 70s, 60s, and 50s. Decades I’ve always been kind of bad with filling my watchlist. I’ve got a lot of big names on my tentative list and I’m really excited, so lets get started with a bang!

1. Suspiria (1977)
Available on Hoopla and TubiTV

Dario Argento’s classic about an American who arrives at a prestigious German ballet school just in time for a series of horrible deaths under bizarre circumstances that eventually lead our ballerina where these films always lead us - a conspiracy of witches of course.

Obviously everyone knows this film’s reputation and not only have I never seen it before now, but I have been largely unfamiliar with Argento’s work in general. The last few years I’ve been trying to correct this but for some reason every time I thought I had access to Suspiria it would slip through my fingers just as I was about to watch. I finally got my chance this year and I wanted to put it up front and center as one of the films I was most intrigued by.

As a whole I’ll say it lived up to the hype. Do I think this was one of the greatest horrors of all time or “the closest thing to a nightmare?” Eh, I don’t know. Do I think this was a very good movie that uses sound, color, setting, and a very good performance form lead Jessica Harper to craft an eery tale of distress? For sure. There’s nothing new I can say here, I’m sure. I see what I’ve always heard and read about Argento as he absolutely has a way of using vivid changing colors and simple soundtracks and beautiful settings to create mood and atmosphere. I read a lot about how you should try and see this in a theater and I totally get that. I can only imagine how rich everything would look on a big screen with the best resolution or how the soundtrack would mesmerize you in surround sound, or freak you out with the whispers and cries. I didn’t have that but I had my little mini theater setup and I think I got the gist. But this is definitely one that I can see checking out a screening of or investing in a bluray for a big tv. And it kind of inspired me to look up how complicated and expenesive it would be for me to set up some speakers on my TV.

There’s less blow away stuff. The infamous glass ceiling scene didn’t do a lot for me. I imagine a lot of that is just changing sensibilities and technical improvements. I’ve seen worse that looked much better, but 30 years ago I imagine this would have shocked. Its tough to judge stuff like that with older films since you have to try and get it in context. That holds true for a lot of story elements and shots as well because you have to try and figure out if it was just one of many that did something or if they all did it because this movie did.

While the ceiling scene didn’t do a lot for me I thought the dog and barbwire scenes were still pretty effective. Not perfect of course, again given the 30 years of technical advancement, but they made me react outwardly.

Also I just hate that thing that happens with dialogue in movies around this time. I don’t know if its dubbing or bad audio mixing or what but everyone’s speech feels out of synch and it makes it all feel unnatural, especially in conversations. Luckily this film’s heavy reliance on other aspects meant it didn’t really take away. It just made exposition dumps a little distant.

Speaking of, exposition dumps, is it just me or was the shrink kind of a mansplaining douche?

Suzy: Dr, my friend Sarah has disappeared and she had your name and number in her things!
Dr: Oh yeah, I treated her when she lost it a few years ago when her mom died.
Suzy: Oh… that’s professional of you. I didn’t exactly ask or even know you were a shrink.
Dr: I’ve been hanging with my former patient socially for awhile in a totally appropriate deal but she was starting to lose it again lately. Talking about some crazy stuff a nutty friend told her. Oh, you’re not the nut, right?
Suzy: Uh… no… she got murdered by being stabbed 20 times and falling through a ceiling and getting lynched.
Dr: Oh good. Anyway Sarah was all freaked out about some nonsense just because her school was founded by some lady who called herself the Black Queen, had a bunch of followers, dabbled in the occult, and was chased out of multiple places by religious folk who just seemed to have some weird problem with her.
Suzy: Wait, a witch?
Dr: You know what, my drink is finished. Here, talk to the crazy old tenured professor in our department. He believes in witches.

Anyway, that’s kind of how I heard it.

I enjoyed it and feel satisfied with the wait. Definitely a film I want to see again on the bigger stage. And I think Inferno is probably on my list now for the rest of the month. A fine start for the month, an important cult classic finally seen, and 1 year of 31 down.

September Tally - New (Total)
1. A Cure For Wellness (2016) / - (2). Slither (2006) / 2 (3). Castle Rock (2018) / - (4). The Forsaken (2001) / 3 (5). The Night Eats the World (2018) / 4 (6). The Girl With All The Gifts (2016) / 5 (7). The Voices (2014) / 6 (8). Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) / 7 (9). Jug Face (2013) / 8 (10). Coherence (2013) / 9 (11). A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) / - (12). Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) / 10 (13). Excision (2012) / 11 (14). Spring (2014)

October Tally - New (Total)
1. Suspiria (1977)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #4: Worst of the Best:siren:

:ghost: Watch a highly regarded director's worst movie.

#8. Wes Craven's New Nightmare (DVD) - :ghost:/5

I am not a fan of this film, and I think it can all stem from one simple (and probably unpopular) opinion: I don't really like Heather Langenkamp, especially in the Nightmare on Elm Street series. I think she's way too broad, and not particularly interesting, in either of her NoES series appearances before this one. I also think that trying to make her, and her portrayal of Nancy, the film's core ends up working against it. Like, I can respect that she was willing to essentially make a stylized, idealized documentary about the rough time she had with stalkers after NoES 1, which sucks and shouldn't have happened. But I don't find it a terribly interesting thing to hang a story on (let alone the very California navel-gazing about earthquakes). This is to say nothing of Craven overreaching on the meta elements of the story, which never really gel against Langenkamp's weak acting and end up leading to a wet fart of an ending, with a terrible "Hansel and Gretel" rip in Extra Evil Freddy-ville. Oh, and the kid actor sucks too.

#9. The Return of the Living Dead (Vudu) - :ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Phenomenal setup, phenomenal set pieces, great turns by a really game cast, a fantastic and hilarious script, great zombie makeup, great gore fx, and a hell of a downer ending (with a fantastic, pitch black gag afterwards). I mean, is there anything this movie doesn't have? If you haven't seen this before, you need to rectify that immediately.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a horror movie with LGBQT+ plot or themes (directly or indirectly).

#10. A Nightmare on Elm Street, Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (DVD) - :ghost:/5

Hey, look, a Clu Gulager two-fer! He's sure in this movie. And the Freddy makeup is pretty good, when you can see it. That's about the nicest thing I can say about it. Everything else is just so drat inept. Like, they spend so much time trying to make me scared of the concept of heat, or exploding parakeets, and forget to make it a Freddy movie for like 3/4th of the runtime, it seems. (What is it with the lovely Nightmare movies trying to spend all their time avoiding putting Freddy on screen and making you scared of incidental stuff? Say what you will of the later sequels after Dream Warriors, but at least they knew where their bread was buttered.)

As for why this is an LGBT horror film? The thematic hook of the film basically is that Freddy is a manifestation of lead character Jesse's fear of his latent homosexuality. Like, Jesse keeps dancing around it (in one embarrassing scene, quite literally), doing weird things like going to obvious leather bars, and whenever it rises to a pitch, Freddy takes over and ends up piercing another male character with his very phallic weaponry. Being that it's an 80s movie, it still ends with a declaration of heterosexual love and "Freddy' is banished because of it. Hooray for stereotypes and the reinforcement of cultural norms!

#11. Murder Party (Netflix) - :ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

I kinda love this film, from the very student film intro titles to the ending gag with the cat finally vacating the chair. It's a very smartly made low budget film, and I thought it made great use of its cast, location, and limited effects budget. It's also really funny, and can be really tense when it needs to be. I already liked director Jeremy Saulnier's follow up film Green Room; now I'm excited to see what he ends up doing next.

Watched so far: Cat People, Halloween 5, Mom and Dad, Hell House LLC, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Beetlejuice, The Horror of Party Beach, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Return of the Living Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Murder Party

Butch Cassidy posted:

Movie may suck but that costume owns. :colbert:

Hard disagree. :colbert:

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

It Comes at Night, 2017

Instead of making the first proper full length movie of my marathon with something classic or fun, I went with slow and moody. It Comes at Night is that movie that all those idiots that like modern mainstream horror got pissed off at. The trailer made it look like one of those lovely jump scare fest with monsters, but instead they got a slow moving thriller. There's a plague that's lead to the collapse of society and we follow a family that have locked them selves in an house out in the forest. Some guy tries to break in one night, and the father let him bring his wife and kid over when he finds out they aren't sick. There's no zombies or mutants because to the plague. There's no psycho killers doing an home invasion. Just the horrible feeling of being in a miserable situation and not being sure if the people you let into your home can be trusted. It's a slow, dark movie that I get will be boring for a lot of people, but I loved every second of it. It does a fine job making you feel like poo poo, and often, that's all you want from a movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

STAC Goat posted:

Also I just hate that thing that happens with dialogue in movies around this time. I don’t know if its dubbing or bad audio mixing or what but everyone’s speech feels out of synch and it makes it all feel unnatural, especially in conversations. Luckily this film’s heavy reliance on other aspects meant it didn’t really take away. It just made exposition dumps a little distant.

Welcome to Italian cinema! You'll see this with nearly every Italian movie. They tend to have fairly international casts, and everyone speaks their respective tongues on set. Then the dialogue is dubbed over in post production. Someone better versed could probably fill in the whys and hows.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Placeholder post to keep track of films watched this month, reviews to come. Aiming to hit 31 by the end of the month. * indicates a rewatch.

#1. The Crawlers, a.k.a., Contamination .7, a.k.a., Creepers, a.k.a., Troll 3 (1993)
#2. Head (2015)
#3. Carne The Taco Maker (2013)
#4. Mind Ripper, a.k.a., Wes Craven Presents Mind Ripper, a.k.a., The Outpost, a.k.a., Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes 3, a.k.a., The Hills Have Eyes III: Mindripper (1995)
#5. Troll 2, a.k.a, Trolls, a.k.a., Monster Valley, a.k.a., The Return of Troll (1990) *
#6. Rumpelstiltskin (1995)
#7. Maniac Mansion, a.k.a., The Murder Mansion (1972)
#8. Cries in the Night, a.k.a., Funeral Home (1980)
#9. The Driller Killer (1979)
#10. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (2005)
#11. Metamorphosis, a.k.a., Regenerator, a.k.a., Reanimator 2 (1990)
#12. The Manster, a.k.a., The Split, a.k.a., Doktor Satan (1959)
#13. Death Ship (1980)
#14. Teenage Zombies, a.k.a., Teenage Torture (1959)
#15. Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
#16. Tomb of Torture (1963)
#17. Amphibian Man (1962)
#18. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) *
#19. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
#20. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
#21. Dolls, a.k.a., The Doll (1987)
#22. Nightbeast, a.k.a., Night Beast (1982)
#23. Ice Cream Man (1995)
#24. The Autopsy of Jane Doe, a.k.a., The Jane Doe Identity (2016)
#25. Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings, a.k.a., Pumpkinhead 2: The Demon Returns, a.k.a., The Revenge of Pumpkinhead: Blood Wings (1993)
#26. Basket Case 2 (1990)
#27. The Boogey Man, a.k.a., The Bogey Man, a.k.a., Spectre, a.k.a., The Boogeyman (1980)
#28. The Brain, a.k.a., Manipulations (1988)
#29. Splice, a.k.a., Chimera (2009) *
#30. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, a.k.a., A Nightmare on Elm Street 6: Freddy's Finale, a.k.a., A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Final Nightmare (1991)
#31. Psychos in Love (1987) *
#32. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
#33. Predator (1987) *
#34. Blood Dolls (1999)
#35. Basket Case 3, a.k.a., Basket Case 3: The Progeny (1991)
#36. Q, a.k.a., Bird over New York, a.k.a., American Monster, a.k.a., Q: The Winged Serpent (1981)
#37. Subspecies (1991)
#38. Fangs of the Living Dead, a.k.a., Malenka, a.k.a., The Vampire's Niece, a.k.a., Malenka, Niece of the Vampire, a.k.a., Bloody Girl (1969)
#39. Halloween, a.k.a., John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) *
#40. Madman (1981)
#41. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II, a.k.a., The Haunting of Hamilton High, a.k.a., Mary Lou (1987)
#42. Final Exam (1981)
#43. Scream Blacula Scream (1973)
#44. Don't Look in the Attic, a.k.a., The House of the Damned, a.k.a., House of the Cursed Spirits (1982)
#45. Critters (1986)
#46. Phantasm II, a.k.a., Phantasm II: The Never Dead Part Two (1988)
#47. Prom Night III: The Last Kiss (1990)
#48. Strait-Jacket (1964)
#49. Blood (2000)
#50. Halloween II, a.k.a., Boogeyman, a.k.a., Halloween II: The Nightmare Isn't Over! (1981)
#51. Dog Soldiers (2002)
#52. Hangman's Curse, a.k.a., The Veritas Project: Hangman's Curse (2003)
#53. Bloody Pit of Horror, a.k.a., The Red Hangman, a.k.a., A Tale of Torture, a.k.a., Crimson Executioner, a.k.a., Some Virgins for the Hangman, a.k.a., The Castle of Artena, a.k.a., The Scarlet Hangman, a.k.a., The Scarlet Executioner (1965)
#54. Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (1966)
#55. Misery (1990)
#56. The Mummy (1932)
#57. Critters 2, a.k.a., Critters 2: The Main Course (1988)
#58. Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil, a.k.a., Prom Night: Evil of Darkness (1992)
#59. Dracula (1931) *
#60. Critters 3, a.k.a., Critters 3: You Are What They Eat (1991)
#61. Halloween III: Season of the Witch, a.k.a., The Last Halloween, a.k.a., Halloween 3 (1982)
#62. The Invisible Man, a.k.a., H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man (1933)
#63. Critters 4, a.k.a., Critters 4: They're Invading Your Space (1992)
#64. Berserk!, a.k.a., Circus of Terror (1967)
#65. Incubus, a.k.a., Leslie Stevens' Incubus (1966)
#66. Robot Monster, a.k.a., Monster from Mars, a.k.a., Monsters from the Moon (1953)
#67. New Nightmare, a.k.a., Wes Craven's New Nightmare, a.k.a., Freddy's New Nightmare, a.k.a., Real Nightmare (1994)
#68. Frankenstein, a.k.a., Dr. Frankenstein (1931)
#69. The Erotic Witch Project (2000)
#70. Devil Times Five, a.k.a., The Terrible House on the Hill, a.k.a., Tantrums (1974)
#71. Guru, the Mad Monk, a.k.a., Garu, the Mad Monk (1970)
#72. Bride of the Gorilla (1951)
#73. Drive-In Massacre (1976)
#74. Grave Encounters (2011)
#75. One Dark Night, a.k.a., Entity Force, a.k.a., Mausoleum, a.k.a., Rest in Peace, a.k.a., Dark Night, a.k.a., Night of Darkness (1983)
#76. Revenge of the Radioactive Reporter, a.k.a., Atomic Reporter, a.k.a., Nuclear Mutant (1990)
#77. Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, a.k.a., Phantasm III: The Third Power (1994)
#78. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, a.k.a., Halloween 4 (1988)
#79. Dreams in the Witch-House (2005)
#80. Grave Encounters 2 (2012)
#81. Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)
#82. The Wolf Man (1941)
#83. Death Laid an Egg, a.k.a., A Curious Way to Love, a.k.a., Plucked (1968)
#84. Jeepers Creepers 2 (2003)
#85. Delirium (2018)
#86. The Abominable Snowman, a.k.a., The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas (1957)
#87. Sorority House Massacre, a.k.a., Death House, a.k.a., Massacre (1986)
#88. Trucks, a.k.a., Trucks - Out of Control (1997)
#89. The Minion, a.k.a., Knight of the Apocalypse, a.k.a., Fallen Knight, a.k.a., Lukas, a.k.a., Minion (1998)
#90. Grim (1996)
#91. Poor Pretty Eddie, a.k.a., Heartbreak Motel, a.k.a., Redneck County, a.k.a., Massacre at Redneck County, a.k.a., Redneck County Rape, a.k.a., Black Vengeance (1975)
#92. The Brain that Wouldn't Die, a.k.a., The Head that Wouldn't Die (1962)
#93. Horror House on Highway Five (1985)
#94. Haunts, a.k.a., The Veil (1977)
#95. Isle of the Snake People, a.k.a., Isle of the Living Dead, a.k.a., Snake People, a.k.a., Cult of the Dead (1971)
#96. Dracula, a.k.a., Horror of Dracula (1958)
#97. I've Been Watching You, a.k.a., The Brotherhood (2001)
#98. Death Valley: The Revenge of Bloody Bill, a.k.a., Death Valley (2004)
#99. 60 Seconds to Die (2017)
#100. 2 Bedroom 1 Bath (2014)
#101. The Tooth Fairy (2006)
#102. Splinter (2009)
#103. Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash, a.k.a., Bikini Bloodbath 2: Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash (2008)
#104. The Mad, a.k.a., Mad Zombies (2007)
#105. It Conquered the World, a.k.a., It Conquered the Earth (1956)
#104. Bride of the Monster, a.k.a., Bride of the Atom (1955)
#105. Killers from Space (1954)
#106. The Witch Returns to Life, a.k.a., The Witch (1952)
#107. Halloween 5, a.k.a., Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
#108. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
#109. Horror House on Highway 6 (2014)
#110. Puppet Master: Axis Termination (2017)
#111. Dance of the Dead (2005)
#112. Ghost (1990) *
#113. Hood of Horror, a.k.a., Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror, a.k.a., Gang of Horror (2007)
#114. Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th, a.k.a., Shriek 1, a.k.a., Scary Video, a.k.a., Scary Scream Movie (2001)
#115. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, a.k.a., Halloween 6, a.k.a., Halloween VI: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
#116. Trilogy of Terror, a.k.a., Tales of Terror, a.k.a., Terror of the Doll (1975)
#117. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
#118. The Fall of the House of Usher (1950)
#119. Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
#120. The Rainbow Man, a.k.a., 虹男 (1949)
#121. The Creeper (1948)
#122. Scream and Scream Again, a.k.a., Screamer, a.k.a., Doctor Diabolic (1970)
#123. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
#124. Theatre of Blood, a.k.a., Theater of Blood, a.k.a., Much Ado About Murder (1973)

Disqualified entries: The Clown Murders (1976), Guinea Pig: Devil's Experiment (1985)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 1, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

For anyone who somehow hasn't seen the first Halloween or is trying to rewatch it, Shudder just added it (and just 4 and 5 too?) and a whole bunch of Hitchcock stuff.

Also, FilmStruck just loving added The Devils, so I guess that's on my to-do list. No idea what cut it is.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 2, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#6. The VVitch (2015) (Commanded by DrunkBoxer) A 17th century Puritan family becomes beplagued by mystical doings, festering mistrust for each other, especially the eldest daughter.

This one has been talked up for a while for me, and I think I got the right impression of what it would be like--deeply realistic to the hard, miserable life settlers had trying to make this country livable for them. This almost seems more the point of the film than the occult influences, especially with how very little special effects to that end are seen. The film is incredibly bleak, with harsh, realistic lighting that chills you to the bone. Also, the film's script strives for accuracy in language of the time, living in the point where English was in-between its Middle and Modern structures, which can in fact make the film sometimes hard to follow.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:
(There actually WAS a horror movie filmed in my tiny town that only got a stop light last year, the very strange "The Carrier", which I recommend watching at least once, but it's not new to me so I can't put it here)

#7. The Rosary Murders (1987) Donald Sutherland plays a Detroit based priest, where a serial killer is slowly picking off area priests and nuns one by one, and leaving a black rosary chain in their hands. Halfway through, Sutherland discovers the identity of the killer through the Seal of Confession, and then begins attempting to discover the why of everything, as well as attempting to figure out how to stop the madman without breaking the seal and destroying the faith in the church.

It's funny, so many movies are set in New York, or LA, or whatever, and they may as well be a fantasy land as far as I'm concerned. However, this film being solidly a Detroit creature gives a strange feeling in me. I may not live in Detroit, but I live close enough that it's all quite familiar to me. As far as serial killer mystery-thrillers go, this film is also a little out of the ordinary. It's much more a character piece than it is a chase or a mystery. Most of the plot just falls into place while the protagonist struggles to make sense of it all--in fact, it stops even being a whodunnit halfway through the runtime. I did like the film, but it's very much an 80s melodrama at times, and those can be rough to get through with modern sensibilities.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

#8. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) (Commanded by Graventy) A father and son team of morticians are delivered an unidentified woman's body found at a crime scene and tasked with determining the cause of death as soon as possible. As the night wears on, more and more strange details start being discovered, and the danger for the pair of examiners grows more and more...

It's crazy how well Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch go together as a father and son team. They look close enough alike, they have close enough speech mannerism, and they have great chemistry together, and I could honestly believe they were family. Which is good, because this is a bit of a "bottle" story, mostly consisting of the pair working together within a small number of setpieces. If you're squeamish at all, I can't in good faith recommend this film, as it is extremely graphic in accurate detail of the inner workings, but like its main characters, much of it is shown in a highly analytical manner. The first half of the film has not really even any scary elements so much as the pair slowly trying to unravel the puzzle before them in a highly professional manner that is extremely satisfying. Once the spooky stuff starts up however, it ramps quite deliberately and continually. I enjoyed the crap out of this film, probably because it was so small scale yet detailed.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Here's my list. I'm going for 36 things. Some are short so they're getting grouped as double features. It's mostly just stuff I have around that I haven't watched yet, and it turns out that it's mostly low budget anthology J-Horror. There are some rewatches in there though.

code:
Psycho
Death Kappa
The Shining
Noroi RW
Hellraiser RW
Cult RW
Siren
Occult RW
Trick r’ Treat
Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan (1959) RW
The Stone Tape/Whistle and I’ll Come to You [DOUBLE FEATURE]
Yokai Monsters: Spirit Warfare
Halloween RW
The Mountain Incident
Savageland [Amazon]
Scary True Stories 1/2/3 (Written by Chiaki Konaka) [TRIPLE FEATURE]
Phantasm
Over Your Dead Body
Berberian Sound Studio
Evil Dead Trap
The Purge
Hide and Go Kill
The Omen
Pulse
La Herencia Valdemar
Haunted Campus
The Changeling
Bloody Scary Horror + Curse Death and Spirit [DOUBLE FEATURE]
Green Room
Honto ni Atta Kowai Hanashi 2012 + 2015
Ghostwatch RW
I'll put my reviews here.

I also plan to watch an episode of Yamishibai and Are You Afraid of the Dark every day with my films.

Adoomsdaygap
Apr 20, 2013
I feel like instead of lurking I should get in on this for the first time and since its still Oct 1 here, let’s go. I’ll try for 31 movies, and have 2 main goals.

Years ago I bought one of those 50 horror movie packs from Target and watched most of em, but I eventually stopped with 2 discs left. I’m gonna finish them this month. Will the movies I have left be good? Will they be bad? Let’s find out together! They’re probably gonna be bad. Second,I have not seen a single Universal Monster movie, and I’m gonna try and fix that. I also have a bunch of horror movies on my dvr that I haven’t gotten around to I’m gonna try and clear out. I am also gonna focus on movies that I’ve never seen before.

1 Rosemary’s Baby (1968) - A young couple moves into a new apartment and befriends their neighbors only to be groomed to birth evil itself. This is one of those famous films that I had never gotten around to but had absorbed the ending through cultural osmosis. I had even missed that Roman Polanski was the director until others mentioned it earlier in the thread and I had already decided to watch it. He may be terrible but this film was great. I was blown away by Mia Farrow’s performance. I also loved the cinematography, which grew more and more claustrophobic as Rosemary became more and more paranoid.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

17. The Boxer's Omen (1983). Directed by Chih-Hung Kuei.
Saw via super low-quality YouTube upload

Maybe my favorite discovery of the challenge so far? I don't think I've seen anything like this grotesque day-glo Buddhist body horror nightmare in my life and I want more of it. This movie is out of its drat mind. It's a shame every home release of this is either long out of print or looks like it was posted in 2006. I will gladly offer up one of my limbs to Criterion or Shout Factory if it means they'll track down a print and get the rights to release it on Blu-Ray.

Can anyone recommend more Shaw Brothers films like this?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wanna throw out some love for Tubi.TV, as I've used it for all of my entries so far this month. It's a free streaming service, and the movies in their catalog include Suspiria (1977), Peeping Tom, Deep Red, The Tenant, Spider Baby, May, Blood Feast, Shadow of the Vampire, A Field in England, The Stepfather, Alice Sweet Alice, Pieces, Simon, King of the Witches, High Tension, Prom Night, Honeymoon, Dagon, and more. If you have a taste for trashy horror, they've got that too, with a bunch of Ted Mikels and Troma.

Downside? It's free because there are commercial breaks. But they're inserted at well-picked scene transitions, their volume is reduced compared to the movie's volume, and they're short. I've been getting about thirty seconds of commercials after half an hour of movie.

To give this post some content beyond unpaid shilling of Tubi, here's something for fans of horror movies and sampling: Monkey Farm Frankenstein's Twitch of the Def Nerve: The Movie, in Part 1 and Part 2, a ~30-minute run through of cut-together horror clips chopped and spliced into musical form.

For those curious but wanting a more compact taste, here's their track built from the Evil Dead trilogy, and their audio-only Halloween sampler.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

5. I Bury the Living (1958) - DVD

The premise sounds stupid with a man suspecting that he can kill people by marking their burial plot with a black pin. But it's actually a very simple and small scale horror/thriller with some stunningly good shots and solid acting all the way around. Compelling from start to finish and my wife also loved it. More people should watch this.

6. Dead Men Walk (1943) - DVD

It's decent seasonal viewing and a quick runtime just over an hour. The movie is a nice twist on the vampire genre filmed during World War Two. Not going to suggest anyone go out of their way to see it bit would make perfect background viewing for a party, while doing house work, or to use as filler on a day with tight scheduling.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960), 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), I Bury the Living (1958), Dead Men Walk (1943)

E: Note to self. Tally movies into decades and include spread of years when this is over.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 2, 2018

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
Welp count me in this year for 31, first time in a few years I feel like watching any sort of horror films so I'm generally gonna keep it kinda light. No real theme, just a mix of ones I've seen or have heard good things about, so lets kick it off right:

1/31. Maximum Overdrive

Oh hell yes its Maximum Overdrive staring the always great Emilio Estevez fighting off a hoard of killer trucks from the cocaine addled mind of Stephen King. This movie is a treat for me, hard to separate the nostalgia I have for the film but drat if it wasn't a great time watching the film again in probably 15 years. Definitely a bit slow towards the last 3/4, and almost seemed like they had it in mind to be made for tv as all the gore is very quick and easily edited out for the TV cut, same with the few instances of real curses (not like the "eat my shorts" the main actress tells the slob preacher 2 years before Bart) and no nudity to be found. You also get a cameo not only by a Wire actor, but you get to see Lisa Simpson in real life, as the most annoying thing to walk on 2 legs put in a film, just eeegsh. Honestly it feels a little lacking in what the premise provides, way more time just hanging out at the truck stop filling up trucks than I remembered, but when the movie hits it hits fantastically; kids getting run over, killer soda machines, rear end in a top hat atms, its great and the times it moves away from the trucks seem way more creative, the plane at the end is great. Killer trucks are always welcomed and the goblin truck one of the all time greats of movie machines and gently caress yeah bazookas, gently caress yeah AC/DC, and gently caress yeah EMILIO! Also the kid actor they got is creepy handsome, like a living doll come to life creepy good looking.
So thank you the perfect culmination of the most 80's of conditions to create this cocaine fueled masterpiece, gently caress yeah Maximum overdrive: 4/5

2/31 The Car

Lets keep the killer car movies rolling, with the absolutely fantastic 1977 The Car. Man I don't think I've seen this since the 90's and man is this a great film. Staring Thano's sexy motorcycle riding cop daddy fighting a satan in car form in a 70's bell-bottom clad treat. The first thing is the cinematography is shocking good for a movie about a killer car in a small Utah town, so many long shots of soaring vistas and just scenic valleys. The opening with the kids on the bikes is just breathtaking beautiful, and there's a shot later on with shifting focus on a long shot across the plains that is just amazing, really makes me wanna go visit where they filmed this movie, so good. The car is evil, just evil to the point of being mean and it's great, you ain't safe old man trying to help an abused housewife, screw you sexy lady feeling safe in her own home, this car will gently caress you up and back up over your corpse. What's that, kissing your girls goodnight in your own home, nope the car is there and waiting for you in your house; yes the killer car sneaks into a cops locked garage, its great. How they made a car feel like the most slasher of slashers long before the slasher genre got any really footing is amazing, and the whole chase scene must be seen, its just so drat awesomely evil.
Really what a fun film with a surprising amount of skill put into making the whole film just shine. 5/5

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
1. Savageland (2008) Amazon Prime

Awesome mock-doc which features pictures as the main source of scares instead of video (except one poor choice right at the very end). Some questionable acting but the story is creepy and some of the pictures are terrifying. This is definitely one of the best "found footage" films I've seen so far.

4 spooks out of 5

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I was already planning to binge horror movies for October, but then I discovered this thread so I guess I’ll join in! I didn’t plan any list, so I’m picking just films (aiming for 31) as I go along.

1. The Witch (2015)

The trailers I’ve seen made me think this would be more blatantly supernatural, but it’s more psychological with its focus on the hardcore Puritan family all going insane as they strain to understand the collapse of their chances of survival and salvation through their strict Calvinist worldview, all carried on wonderful acting by the whole cast (even the little kids). Gorgeous cinematography too.
5/5 Black Phillips

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 2, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Random Stranger posted:

I find it hilarious that you identify Fritz Leiber by his horror novels, not his enormously influential fantasy stories.

In the Horror Challenge thread? Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-by.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Birds (1963)

I'm not well-qualified to review Hitchcock fully, because I've seen only four of his movies now and I don't make a habit of watching movies from before 1970, so it takes more time for me to process. Hitchcock seems to endure because there's always a double or triple meaning. If something is dull or bizarre in Hitchcock, it's very much intended as that, to be upset later by cosmic forces under Hitchock's control. To that end the birds seem like a plague set upon these caricatures of the film era. Hitchcock movies seem to contain a lot of momma's boys (with moms that are younger than the male lead), and Hitchcock seems to single them out for torment. Plot details are tongue-in-cheek to the extreme, with plainly ridiculous things presented matter-of-factly.

I can't say I honestly enjoyed this on first watch, but it has its moments. Amazing how rapidly the sixties changed filmmaking language.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:

Name Change fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 20, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

Question: Do MST3K movies/episodes count?

Yes.

As do Masters of Horror episodes, because they're all 59ish to 60ish minutes long.

To clarify what someone said: Only certain 'episodes' of shows can count as a single viewing.

For instance, for Castle Rock to count, you will have to have watched the entire series. It will only count as one film.

If an episode of Black Mirror is self-contained and is over an hour long, it qualifies as a film. The episode "Men Against Fire" is 60 minutes long, it counts. "The Entire History of You" is only 49 minutes. It does not count.

MST3k still shows the majority of the movie, and runs for 90 minutes. Those count as a single film.

My best advice: Just watch a movie instead. It's the intention of the challenge. There are hundreds you haven't seen. It saves you from having to ask "Hey, this episode of Black Mirror is only 58 minutes long, does it count?" I like to give as much leniency as possible, cuz this is for fun, but I have to keep it fair for everyone else.

You can also always read the FAQs in the 2nd post. Most of the questions are answered there.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 2, 2018

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

5. Fright Night ('85)
A simple and straightforward horror-comedy. Charley Brewster believes that his next-door neighbor is a vampire but has a hard time convincing his mom and friends.
Marcy D'Arcy's in this movie. So is Roddy McDowell, who I just saw play a completely different character in Legend of Hell House. He is definitely the best thing about this, but a close second is the suave and overbearing vampire (he's named Jerry) who terrorizes Charley. Occasional dodgy effects and a bit of a light plot hold this back for me somewhat, but i definitely understand all the recommendations this movie comes with, even if I wasn't as wowed.

6. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors ('87)
Now this is more like it. Funny special-effects kills, Freddy says 'bitch' a lot, the cast is entertaining all around - although Nancy is silly. For a little while the movie isn't quite up to par as the Dream Warriors go to fight Freddy, two of them are killed without any real good reason for why they failed, and they pretty much go unmourned after contributing nothing to stopping him. Anyway, fun movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: For everyone posting pictures and posters: Keep it up, but please try and keep the width around 1000. That's big enough. The size can be quickly adjusted on imgur before posting, and it will even maintain the ratio for you. It makes the thread easier to read and load, especially on a smart phone. Thanks! :siren:

I'm excited by all the fresh blood! Welcome new participants! I'm happy to see everyone soaking in the horrors.

I'm starting a new project in my spare time. It's going to be time consuming, but I'm very excited for it. It's going to hurt my movie count, for sure. :(

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

#8. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) (Commanded by Graventy)
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

Awesome, I'm glad you liked it! This was one of my favorite flicks that I watched last year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Netflix and Prime lists from the OP have been updated for the October additions. Prime in particular picked up some good stuff like Return of the Living Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Child's Play, Candyman 2(underrated), The Cell, and The Strangers. Netflix added less but a few great ones, like The Shining and Blade.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Netflix and Prime lists from the OP have been updated for the October additions. Prime in particular picked up some good stuff like Return of the Living Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Child's Play, Candyman 2(underrated), The Cell, and The Strangers. Netflix added less but a few great ones, like The Shining and Blade.

There's also a new version of The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix as of the 12th. 10 episodes, looks into the history of the house as well as the present day investigation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

There's also a new version of The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix as of the 12th. 10 episodes, looks into the history of the house as well as the present day investigation.

And that same day they're releasing a period horror film by the director of The Raid, it's called Apostle.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

In this perfectly reasonable Hammer/Shaw bros crossover, Dracula goes to China and together with the titular bloodsuckers terrorizes a small peasant village. Only Peter Cushing, his son, a buxom swedish lady, and Seven Samurai 8 Kung Fu masters can defeat them!
This isn't my first Shaw Bros movie but shamefully my first Hammer one, and I liked it! I did not expect either the gratuitous nudity nor the blood, which I assume comes from the western side of the crossover?
It barely passes as a B-movie, the costumes are worse than what you can see kids wearing around Halloween, but Peter Cushing is the absolute man, acting with gravitas even when everybody is kung fu fighting Draculas all around him.
While there's a huge disparity in acting skill between Cushing and the rest of the crew, the really interesting disparity is between the martial arts skills of the western and eastern actors. The choreography is nothing to write home about for Shaw standards, but everyone very obviously outmatches old man Cushing and his movie son. As a result Cushing is there mostly for moral support while the kung fu masters wreck armies of bad guys and his son gets his rear end kicked. Eventually Cushing, through his fencing skills, somehow racks up an impressive body count and saves the day, like a less hare-brained Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China.

Definitely will watch more Hammer movies for this challenge!

Previously:
Creepshow II, Monster Squad, Mandy, Shock, Devil Fetus, Black Cat, Suspiria

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #1: Love Something You Hate :siren:

The first challenge is Love Something You Hate.

:ghost: Pick a film that you have seen before that you hated, did not like or just didn't get. Rewatch it, and re-evaluate.

87- Hausu 1977 - PRIME

For the Love/Hate challenge, I've had a very hard time deciding on this one. To me, hate's a serious word that I don't use lightly and the one film I truly hate, I hate in that degree of 'From Hell's Heart I hate this movie' and I'd rather sit through all the August Underground films, A Serbian Film, AND Murder-Set-Pieces in one go with one of those set ups to hold your eyes open like I'm getting the Ludovico treatment than sit through that one film.

So, yeah, can't do the film I hate but I can do the film I didn't get the first four times I sat through it. I've sat through Hausu sober, stoned, drunk, and a combination of the three and still wasn't sure what the hell I sat through. What makes this attempt different is A) It's been years since my last sit through, B) I've watched other goon recommendations on similiar films and liked them, and C) I'm tackling this one like I'd do a research project for classes.

From what I can gather the story's a group of girls go to the one's aunt's home for the summer and everything goes off the rails there while on acid.

My take is that since the Aunt's been dead all this time, her spirit's been partially infused into the house. Considering how she died and all, she'd be very sensitive to her niece's upset and want to save her from it. Now as far as the friends go, either they really did go and the names we know them by are nicknames according to thier personalities, or they were never there as Gorgeous went alone and the movie starts she's already in the house and we're seeing her hallucinations as she's dying and their names are how Gorgeous thinks of them. It's said the house eats people, but I'm thinking we're not supposed to take that literally. Considering the girls' ages, I have to think back to Company of Wolves in how much we're seeing from Rosalea's perspective and think something similiar's going on here.

Whether it's just Gorgeous in the house or Gorgeous and her friends, I'm thinking more that the aunt/house might be subsuming them in not to eat as food but to spare them from having to feel the pain the aunt felt from losing those she cared about since at the end Gorgeous tells her step mother they'll be waking up hungry soon.

So, with all that said, I'm still not sure I'm getting it with Hausu, but I think I've definitely gotten a better hang on it which is more than I had before.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a film that takes place in the state* you currently live in

or

:ghost: Watch a film that was filmed in the state you currently live in.

88- Track of the Moonbeast 1976 - PRIME

For the Hometown Challenge, we've got this one, filmed in Albuquerque and takes place here.

Story is a geologist gets a chip of meteor stuck in his head and at night changes into the moonbeast in the title.

I will have to say it was fun trying to figure out locations with how they looked then to now. I'm pretty sure the guy on the motorcycle in the beginning is out on the West Mesa which has made the news with it turning out that it's a serial killer or two's dumping ground. St. Joseph's hospital is now Lovelace Hospital, Downtown. I'm pretty sure the campus they keep referring to is UNM and not TVI (which would later become CNM) since where I've been in the older sections of campus match the movie. Equally I'm not sure if the artifacts area we see on campus is the Maxwell Museum since I've only been in the academics only underlevel with the really cool stuff and never got around to seeing the public access areas. The coins and gun store featured in the movie is now a laundramat and the Hoyt's across the street that you see through the window is now a neon signage store. I've been trying to figure where the ending's located, but I can't make out the street sign for the life of me.

The stew that gets mentioned is common as anything. Meat, corn, chile, onions..etc.. They should've gone for Three Sisters stew if they really wanted to stand out with something fairly local.

I do wish they showed more of the city or campus since it was nice seeing how things looked back then.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

24. Daimajin (1966)

This was sweet film that gives fans of both samurai and kaiju something to find interest in. It's mostly a period drama about a village getting overthrown and forced into slavery by an evil lord, but is capped off by an angry mountain god helping the oppressed villagers. The design of Daimajin is awesome, he's a stone samurai golem with human eyes that just smashes his enemies. I really liked the movie, but I could see where someone could be disappointed if they came in expecting a ton of samurai action, or a ton of giant monster action. It's more of a slow burn with the conflicts tension as the driving force. With that being said, I fully recommend checking this one out.

25. Return of Daimajin (1966)

This is a children's adventure movie with incredibly high stakes. Four young boys set out to save their fathers from a slave labor camp and experience plenty of hardships on the way. I was surprised at the amount of violence, even towards children, that was present in this movie. Some of it doesn't hit very hard because of the acting from the main group of kids. One scene in particular I couldn't tell what actually happened because I felt that the boys reaction just didn't fit the situation at all, seemed like a robot responding to something painful happening. The finale with the titular mountain god wasn't quite as exciting as the first film, but it's good and I liked the whole package.

26. Wrath of Daimajin (1966)

For the shortest film in the series it felt the longest to me, probably because I watched it as a triple feature with the first two, and it's plot is quite similar to the first film. The finale in this one has some absolutely awesome shots of Daimajin mimicking Moses, and holding a giant crucifix. Overall, I was pretty happy with the entire Daimajin series, but I think the character could have been used a bit more throughout. This one in particular felt like he was only around for maybe 5 minutes, which is kind of a bummer for such a fun to watch vengeful mountain god.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
ALRIGHT FOOLS - Time to check in for October! This year I am going to be in night classes after work for many days during the week, so my time is limited. My reviews may come the day after while I am at work instead of the same evening. I am definitely at least doing one film a day, and if time allows I will fit as many in as possible. The goal here is 31 films watched for me though.

Here is my list of films for the month. I only chose movies I have not seen before. There are some classics, some exploitation, modern, etc. I tried to build a variety. If you need inspiration for a film to watch since you didn't plan anything out feel free to use this as a resource. I am looking forward to finally sitting down and watching some films I have been meaning to watch forever, or that it is shameful I have not seen yet. I plan on making an overflow list as well to pick from if I have time for extra movies, I will post that after I have drawn that up.
https://letterboxd.com/jhplexbox/list/31-days-of-halloween/

DAY 1 - THE LAST HOUSE ON DEAD END STREET (1977)

Wikipedia posted:

Last House on Dead End Street (also known as The Fun House, At the Hour of Our Death, and The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell[2][3]) is a 1977 American surrealist[4] exploitation horror film written, produced, and directed by Roger Watkins, under the pseudonym Victor Janos. The plot follows a disgruntled ex-convict (also played by Watkins) who takes revenge on society by kidnapping four strangers and filming their murders in an abandoned building.

Filmed in 1972 with a cast and crew of theater students working under pseudonyms, the movie was released in 1974 under the title The Fun House before being re-released under its more widely recognized title in 1977. The film's title is derived from the controversial Wes Craven film The Last House on the Left.

The true identity of pseudonymous director Victor Janos and the actors was largely unknown until Roger Watkins claimed on Internet message boards in 2000 that he had directed the film, a claim subsequently confirmed. The anonymity and refusal of the cast and crew to come forward about the film led many to believe that it had depicted real murders, a rumor which existed for decades.[2]

This has been one of those films that has been on my watch list forever and I never ended up watching for some mysterious reason. I am so glad I finally did watch it. You can absolutely tell it was made by meth heads who used their entire budget on meth instead of the movie. To which I say, bravo. The films manic vibe is almost exactly parallel with meth tweakers themselves. It amps up and crashes quite a few times. Where it really excels is making you feel uncomfortable; a rather realistic rape scene, the protagonists facial expressions for literally the entire film, the creepy as hell masks everyone is wearing, deer foot blowjob, whipping women in black face- All very uncomfortable. For me, the highlight of the film, and probably the source of the rumors that it was real snuff, was the death of the "slutty wife" character. Her death and dismemberment was reminiscent of the Guinea Pig films. Really the effects work wasn't too shabby for the $3.50 they spent. On the whole this was a 7/10 for me. The effects weren't strong enough for me to be satisfied, clearly low budget (though at the time apparently caused theater riots where one Chicago theater may have even been burned down). The surrounding acting and performances around the extreme moments is something to be desired. But the surreal vibe it creates, especially when they are "filming", is perfect. I highly recommend anyone who is big on exploitation to check this out. Side Note: This movie does not have anything to do with a house. It should be called "Last Abandoned Warehouse On Dead End Street"

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 2, 2018

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Darthemed posted:

Wanna throw out some love for Tubi.TV, as I've used it for all of my entries so far this month. It's a free streaming service, and the movies in their catalog include Suspiria (1977), Peeping Tom, Deep Red, The Tenant, Spider Baby, May, Blood Feast, Shadow of the Vampire, A Field in England, The Stepfather, Alice Sweet Alice, Pieces, Simon, King of the Witches, High Tension, Prom Night, Honeymoon, Dagon, and more. If you have a taste for trashy horror, they've got that too, with a bunch of Ted Mikels and Troma.

Downside? It's free because there are commercial breaks. But they're inserted at well-picked scene transitions, their volume is reduced compared to the movie's volume, and they're short. I've been getting about thirty seconds of commercials after half an hour of movie.

Quick PSA about TubiTV:

TubiTV is supported by the popular youtube/streaming scraper youtube-dl, which happens to come baked into some media players. This means that you could, for example, use MPV or IINA to watch TubiTV streams without commercials. It also means you can just download the file directly with youtube-dl and watch it in whatever media player you would like.

This method also works with all of these sites: http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

M_Sinistrari posted:

87- Hausu 1977 - PRIME

The subtext of House is intergenerational conflict in Japan. An older generation traumatized by war is destroying the younger generation. Meanwhile the younger generation has never experienced war, and if it thinks about it at all views it through a massively distorting romantic filter. The girls talk about the Autie's wartime experience like some kind of fairy tale, while we watch wartime flashback scenes of tragedy and death capped off with the atomic bomb going off. The mutual incomprehension is almost absolute, and results in total catastrophe.

The movie is pretty straightforward structurally, but layers on so much insane imagery that it's easy to lose the thread while you're watching it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Friends Are Evil posted:

17. The Boxer's Omen (1983). Directed by Chih-Hung Kuei.
Saw via super low-quality YouTube upload

Maybe my favorite discovery of the challenge so far? I don't think I've seen anything like this grotesque day-glo Buddhist body horror nightmare in my life and I want more of it. This movie is out of its drat mind. It's a shame every home release of this is either long out of print or looks like it was posted in 2006. I will gladly offer up one of my limbs to Criterion or Shout Factory if it means they'll track down a print and get the rights to release it on Blu-Ray.

Can anyone recommend more Shaw Brothers films like this?

The most likely company to release this on Blu-ray is the UK label 88 Films, as they have their "Asia Collection" and have already released a bunch of Shaw horror. I really need to see this one. I've enjoyed and can recommend the other Shaw horror I've seen: Hex, Black Magic, Black Magic part 2 (which I reviewed earlier in this thread), and Seeding of a Ghost. I'm not sure how they stack up to Boxer's Omen, but they're all wacky and gory and worthwhile.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll probably do a separate count for the films I watch in October, but I still have to catch up from this weekend first.

17. Candyman II: Farewell to the Flesh (1995)

I like Candyman a lot, so I should probably finish that series up, right? Oh, boy.

Candyman 2 falls into the same trap that many sequels do: let's flesh out the character with more lore and backstory! A lot of horror villains work because you can fill in the backstory, either in your mind or in your cool fanfiction versions. Too much backstory in horror is a mistake. You either reveal too much and the character becomes less scary as a result, or what you reveal is just too dumb.

Anyway we already knew about Candyman's tragic love and death. This movie takes us to New Orleans, where we find out that 1. he has descendants, and 2. he's killing them for some reason. I mean, the reason is partially because they candyman'd a mirror 5 times, that's on them I guess, but otherwise...why? It was ok, overall, lots of people getting hooked. Big letdown from the first movie.
:spooky:.5/5

18. The House With the Clock in its Walls (2018)

This is like a gayer Harry Potter. An orphan moves in with his uncle and magic happens.

It was ok, with a few genuinely creepy moments, but stuck very strictly to the kid movie plot outline. If I hadn't spent a good chunk of the movie mostly inventing a gay subtext I probably would have been bored.

I have a different movie that I'm using but this would totally count for Fran's gay movie challenge. The kid spends most of the movie pining after a cute boy at school, and lots of signs point to his uncle being gay too.
:spooky::spooky:/5

19. Candyman III: Day of the Dead (1999)

Ahh, direct to video. A sure sign of quality if there ever was one.

Here Candyman works to recruit his last living relative to be his...successor, I think? Maybe he's just looking to love someone who vaguely looks like his wife? Anyway Candyman forgot all of his flirting skills when he died, so here he kills a bunch of people and, because he is a myth, it looks like she did it.

It doesn't really make any sense, and it only has two good things going for it: Tony Todd, and a bunch of nudity.
:spooky:/5

graventy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 2, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

sean10mm posted:

The subtext of House is intergenerational conflict in Japan. An older generation traumatized by war is destroying the younger generation. Meanwhile the younger generation has never experienced war, and if it thinks about it at all views it through a massively distorting romantic filter. The girls talk about the Autie's wartime experience like some kind of fairy tale, while we watch wartime flashback scenes of tragedy and death capped off with the atomic bomb going off. The mutual incomprehension is almost absolute, and results in total catastrophe.

The movie is pretty straightforward structurally, but layers on so much insane imagery that it's easy to lose the thread while you're watching it.

I admit that I get really twitchy with deeply analyzing films. Comes from having dated a guy who the concept of watching a movie for fun or just a story was impossible. He had to deeply analyze everything from subtext to symbolism to the degree it just sucked the fun out of going to the show with him, and if you weren't doing the same thing then you were just being intellectually lazy so time for him to go another round of elaborating until you agreed with him to shut him up. He was capable of sucking all the humor out of a Mel Brooks film. To this day, I'm still surprised he never used the word 'sheeple'.

The lesson learned from this was: Don't date Philosophy/Film Studies majors.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I admit that I get really twitchy with deeply analyzing films. Comes from having dated a guy who the concept of watching a movie for fun or just a story was impossible. He had to deeply analyze everything from subtext to symbolism to the degree it just sucked the fun out of going to the show with him, and if you weren't doing the same thing then you were just being intellectually lazy so time for him to go another round of elaborating until you agreed with him to shut him up. He was capable of sucking all the humor out of a Mel Brooks film. To this day, I'm still surprised he never used the word 'sheeple'.

The lesson learned from this was: Don't date Philosophy/Film Studies majors.

I know you're not talking about me, but this hits a little too close to home.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I know you're not talking about me, but this hits a little too close to home.

I know from my description, it's probably got more than a few having that feeling. If anyone's posts here come closest to that same 'makes my eye twitch' his analysis rants he'd do, it's SMG's posts. That's why it took me so long to come to the horror threads, I read a SMG post and thought everyone here was like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know from my description, it's probably got more than a few having that feeling. If anyone's posts here come closest to that same 'makes my eye twitch' his analysis rants he'd do, it's SMG's posts. That's why it took me so long to come to the horror threads, I read a SMG post and thought everyone here was like that.

I think we can all agree that dating SMG would be a bad move.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Basebf555 posted:

Finally I can knock Return of the Living Dead off my list!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

7. Nosferatu (1922) - DVD

Finally ticked this one off the list. It's definitely aging and will have nothing but increasing trouble getting views from younger generations as time goes by. Which is a shame because it has some amazing shots, sets, acting, costumes, and a villain design that is still creepy to this day.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960), 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922)

Years Spanned: 66 (1922-1988)

Tally by Decade: 20s (I), 30s (0), 40s (I), 50s (I), 60s (II), 70s (I), 80s (II)

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 2, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Yeah, I'm taking a sick day.

89- The Baby 1973 - YOUTUBE

There's probably been about a handful of films I've seen that left me wondering 'What the gently caress did I just sit through??' as the end credits rolled. This is one of them.

In short, a social worker is assigned to the Wadsworth family who is dependent on the disability check they get for 'Baby', a man in his 20s with the mental capability of an infant. As the film goes on it goes completely off the rails. Right when I think things couldn't get more messed up, something more messed up happened. Even with the ending that had me thinking on the surface 'okay....messed up but not as messed up as the other stuff', I was still cringing in case the film pulled out something messed up during the credits.

I'll leave you with the trailer to get an idea on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAb3J7WONhE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh drat I'm a bit late to the party, no way I'm gonna make it to 31 this time :(

Last year I did manage to complete the 31 years challenge, which was pretty awesome experience. I noticed I haven't seen most of the staff picks so I'll just start with some of those, and perhaps with a few Scream Stream flicks I might get there.

• Locked thread