Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

drat almost half of the caravan gone in an instant.

That's rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So the serpent nuking half your caravan is a hardcoded event?

that's loving stupid

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If half the caravan dies but the fights are balanced around that decimated number then it's fine, it's just numbers. From a storytelling perspective, all of creation is falling apart and the center is literally not holding, so that's the sort of disaster it's been hinting at for a while and then...it happens. Ragnarok is here, poo poo, it's not clear if there's any sort of haven for anyone be it human, varl, dredge, horseborn, or apocalyptic snake. The arc is clearly going to be "things are gonna get worse, until either it ends or it gets better. But you don't know what so you have to press on."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So the serpent nuking half your caravan is a hardcoded event?

that's loving stupid

It nukes your caravan, but the number you had remaining is dependent on the number you started with - it's not a fixed amount.
--
Back in the day I read some pre-release interviews done by Stoic about the Banner Saga, and it seems like the Darkness was originally going to figure into the first game a bit more as something visible. As is, there were just hints of it, and that the dredge were running from something. With Bolverk's chapter with the warped dredge and actually seeing the orb in the distance, we finally got to see it.

The map change is a pretty cool effect. You got to open the map UI since the start of TBS1, and for that entire game, and most of this one, it's entirely static. You read through all the bits of lore the first time you open it, and explore the fun map, and that's it. Now that it's updating real-time, you feel a bit of loss as all those lore tidbits that gave hints of more to the world beyond what you see are... gone, along with that world itself.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
So...my Rook game, I took the stone marker path. Glad I did so in hindsight.

I guess Eirik is never going to be his truly awesome bear summoning uber self, since evidently you only get his events on that path...

What a shame.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 1, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FairGame posted:

But We max out

: Steop these horseborn!

FairGame posted:

We briefly had Alette having visinos

Vez'nan was not their only god, but he became one of the most poweful

And do it with 15 strenth (plu whatever

You growl and instnatly

I screwed up here. THe goal

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FairGame posted:

6 clansmen leave so they can study flowers for the rest of their lives. Which I imagine will be fairly short.

Oh c'mon I befriended you guys!

Since you haven't seen them in any other battle. War bears have a lot of strength and also you have to take out their armor before you can do any strength damage. They're like Folka. Only dangerous.

Iver with the Gold Bridle is gonna be nuts. When he crits, he just absolutely mangles things.

Really not much to talk about in this fight. Just a bunch of overwatch.

Everyone's home is getting ruined by whatever's happening to the world.

Is there something missing here? Are those the kragsmen that we took in who are fighting us?

Also, things are really going to poo poo. Juno screwing with Alette's mind is not cool! I wonder if Iver actually volunteered to accompany them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine I went through this comic crossing out 'beartato' and writing 'eyvind'

As far as the witch tied to the tree event, if you take her with you she gives you a ton of supplies and then runs off, there are no negative consequences that I ever saw. Also, the thing in the cave where Dytch is talking to that woman? There is a second part that only triggers in the cave, and I had to look it up because it's total bullshit! She's a spirit. You're given a bunch of choices for dealing with her, all of which lose you a TON of morale and/or injure Bolverk, unless you make the correct raven choice, which is to headbutt her. Yeah. That raises morale, gives you renown, and is entirely in character. I love this game.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Eyvind what the gently caress did you do

megane
Jun 20, 2008

He even said "I," so apparently the world ending is his fault personally

Goddamn it Eyvind

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Black Balloon posted:

Eyvind what the gently caress did you do

He resurrected Yuno. Who broke and keeps breaking mender taboo by mind controlling people who are not Bolverk. (I'm assuming what protects him is his berserker madness)

True resurrection requiring breaking the universe is something I can see happening, and that taboo might have been there for reasons, so the interaction can't be good.

Oh, and either the resurrection or something Yuno did in the afterlife messed up with the World Serpent, because this wasn't enough of a mess already.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Gods dying was a retroactive effect. (To clarify: the Gods were always going to die, but maybe the schedule has been pushed up by a millennia or two)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The witch thing is a good case for knowing your characters! Yrsa is a pyromaniac, her advice for every problem is to set fire to it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm pretty sure the gods have been dead way before Juno and Eyvind were even born, if I have the lore correct.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm pretty sure the gods have been dead way before Juno and Eyvind were even born, if I have the lore correct.

I think they died somewhere between the first and second Dredge wars, if I recall correctly?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ibblebibble posted:

Yes, that's why I specified retroactive effect. Because apparently what Eyvind did broke the universe, so what's a little a-causality on the side?

I mean, odds are the Gods dying was standard Ragnarok progression, but if the game later said that Eyvind's screwup traveled back in time and accelerated the timeline I wouldn't bat an eye.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

All/nearly all of this will be explained. Those of you who’ve played the series, please no spoilers.

Those of you who haven’t, you’ve gotten some information and Juno is clearly acting weird and mind controlling people to avoid a topic she doesn’t like, so go nuts with conjecture.

The Kragsmen who attacked us were a different group, as we had the same number of fighters before and after. I guess they’re like horseborn—some clans are friendly and decide to join, others decide to fight.

E: I missed a screenshot that explains it, no wonder you were confused. Will edit it back in.

The Serpent wrecking the caravan is balanced. Depressing as heck, but balanced. Without spoiling too much, later events do not expect you to have a monstrously large caravan. Every single life matters, though. Not just from a narrative standpoint, but from a gameplay one.

A vote will come tonight. Basically you all get to determine just how hosed Bolverk and the Ravens are after exiting the underground.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 1, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm guessing the exact moment he genuinely tried to bring her back is when the sun stopped.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Not to spoil, but I did screw around before BS3 came out with an easy playthrough, because I was curious how huge your caravan could get and if you lumped in Varl & human fighters I had something like 1500-1600 people at this point.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Night10194 posted:

I'm guessing the exact moment he genuinely tried to bring her back is when the sun stopped.

I feel like the sun and the orb are related and Juno didn't go with Bolverk and the Ravens because she caused it. That and she can't mind control him. The sun is Eyvind's fault.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
The art for this game is so gorgeous, but the ~spooky forest~ is some of the loveliest visuals in a game that has a lot of those.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's odd, not spooky! Such slander.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm not doing a great job with the music, which is also great. The best tracks (the best of which is the one at the end of last update ) are getting mention, but pretty much everything is superb. Including what plays in The Old Wood.

But that's kind of the tradeoff in a screenshot LP and this wouldn't work as a video LP unless you wanted to watch a ton of combat

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Inserted the missing screenshot and made the typo corrections (though unless I didn't make any typoes on the most recent post, could use a pair of eyes on that too.

Working on the next post so I can get the vote up.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FairGame posted:

But that's kind of the tradeoff in a screenshot LP and this wouldn't work as a video LP unless you wanted to watch a ton of combat

This is quite a bit of effort, but you could record yourself playing, and take screenshots from that footage, and then you could split up the highlights (cinematics and stuff) and upload them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

UPDATE 24: PRELUDE TO A BLOODBATH

Well...that's not ominous given who's (metaphorically) caged in Bolverk's caravan...

The POV switches now use the updated map.

Bolverk remains closer to Arberrang than Alette.

: Don't tell me you're fine when you're not. You're still having those damned dreams.
You growl, feeling less like talking than ever, but knowing the shieldmaiden won't let it drop.
: I keep seeing dredge in different ways. We're eating together, then they're gone. Once, I was teaching them how to fight and they respected me. It's not me, but it feels like me.
Folka watches you, listening closely.
: In the dreams, I feel old, ancient, strong. But then the dredge disappear and I feel...
: What?

: Well, I happen to know all about loneliness among company.
When you don't laugh, she just shrugs it off.
: It's just strange that you're feeling kinship with dredge. Have you tried talking to that stonesinger we picked up?
: That would just get the faen Valka involved.
: Zefr'll get involved regardless. If the map's right, we'll hit Old Ford and be at the Valka tower in Manaharr soon.

: Juno, or whoever, mentioned a darkness coming.
: She also said the dredge would be running from that darkness too, but I don't see them.
You hold up your hand, sensing something amiss. Folka and you both scan the trees.
: There!
You point to an archer loosing her arrow and dodge it, roaring a battle cry.

As in the start of the previous Bolverk chapter, we don't get a chance to re-equip. It's Folka and Bolverk vs. a bunch of humans.

: You're trying to rob US?
: They won't live to learn their mistake!
We're grossly outnumbered, and given the way turn order works, they're at a huge disadvantage. Especially because Folka regenerates 2 armor per turn and can't take strength damage until all her armor's gone.

On easier difficulties, you can do this whole fight with one extraordinarily long Cull the Weak with Bolverk. Here they need to be softened up a bit. And I actually get greedy and Bolverk goes down before the fight wraps up. But in general this is a piece of cake.

...it's not like Bolverk getting injured will cause me problems.

Folka finishes the final 4 enemies on her own.

Cool, we killed a bunch of starving civilians.

Back in town, we can talk to Sigbjorn and Zefr. Zefr first.

: ...not forbidden, only rare for Valka to have children.
: So Nikels was...

: What did you do to him back in that cave?
: I did...the only thing I could do. The thing we never want to do.
The Valka's eyes fill with tears.
: I forced a skip in the pattern, which won't mean much to you. Suffice it to say that menders usually repair skips, or mistakes, in the woven fabric of our world. They cover powerful, exposed threads until all is right, and the pattern is whole. I did just the opposite.
You stare at her blankly.
: By skipping Nikels, I exposed a thread and used that power to end Eyeless' attack.
: And that cost Nikels his life.
: Yes. But it is a sacrifice every mender is prepared to make, should it be necessary.
: How do I know you won't try to skip me when we get to Manaharr?
: Because I can't. It is a conscious choice a mender is taught how to make.
Silence spans a few moments.

: The Ravens will remember him in a battle chant.
: I'm sure he would have liked that. Was there anything else you wanted to discuss?
: Any idea why Gaular would abandon its prisoners?
: I've been out of contact with the council since I departed for Bindal, but it can't be good. If the prisoners were telling the truth about everyone fleeing to Arberrang, King Meinolf will have a serious problem to handle.
: I wonder if that girl, Alette, knows what she's headed for.
: They're not our concern. Enough talking. Let's get moving.
: Agreed. We need to get this cart to Manaharr soon, and we're not far now.

Let's move on to Sigbjorn.

: What is it we're doing, Bloodaxe?

: To get paid, like always.
: Yeah? And then what? Look at the sky. This isn't some crone's story about stars falling. This is the end of the line.
: Maybe so, but none of us knows what that means. Whatever comes next, I want us facing it with plenty of coin to our name.
: Bah. I guess that's what life amounts to: centuries of fighting and hoarding money for the day you die.
You are about to walk away when Sigbjorn speaks again, quieter.

: Seeing a job through has always felt good.
: I suppose you're right. Getting paid feels good, but then I drink it away and need more money. Feels like and endless, worthless cycle when I think about it.
: Then quit thinking. And lay off the mead while you're at it.
You walk off, shaking your head.

Another nice scene. Sigbjorn, like Bak, is a relative nobody. But this does a nice job showing that the Ravens aren't a bunch of battle-crazy drunken loons. And also that Bolverk, rear end in a top hat that he is, genuinely cares about the well-being of his Ravens.

Ooh, look at that. I can't really afford it, but hey I've got 6 days worth of supplies and I can just have Bolverk sleep for a little bit, buy the Clasp of Kyn and just power through the rest of the game. What could go wrong?

Before we head out, we get this.
: I bet we'll need all the fighters we can get.
"I've got a suspicion you actually like humans more than any other varl alive," Sparr says, chuckling until he starts coughing and wheezing for air.
We gain some more fighters. We're dangerously low on supplies, but we're well armed at least.

For a world where the sun has stopped overhead, it's getting...ominously dark.

Random event.

: Show me the kid.

: If it's an omen, it's a good one. No one harms the child.

Morale improves. I'll play Bolverk like an evil mercenary, but he's no child killer.

: Forget this path. We'll find another way.
The scouts search in various directions but a day passes before another route is found. The clansmen don't seem to mind the rest, though.

Day 82. We're down to the last of our supplies. We're going to start starving if I can't resupply.

There are no supplies to be found at this godstone, but Bolverk intones as they arrive.
: I always respected Bygglaerer the Builder, but if he made those caves we went through, I'll...well, I'd have killed him myself.

You know the godstone routine by now.

The pieces of Bygglaerer's godstone, put together without mortar or daub, represent the mastery of the god's own skill. In life, he traveled the land, laying the world's cavernous foundations and raising mountains. He was ever regarded by the other gods with a wary respect, for one who knows how to put things together will also know how to take them apart.

Buzz off, kids. Bolverk is more a "take things apart" kind of guy.

Huh. Wasn't expecting that. I figured giving the kids a stone would be what got us the item. Anyway, it's another good item for armor break and I'll give it to Oli if ever he gets high enough to use it.

Hey, another banner. But Alette's too far away. Who's left that has a banner?

Whoever it is, they're in trouble.

Another random event.
: What's in the hole?
"We couldn't tell," a scout says. "No trees around, just a deep hole in the ground around four yox-length across. My arms were like chicken skin just looking at it.
: Let's have a look, you craven.
: Were you trying to be funny? Craven and Raven?
You ignore her and head for the hole.

: Someone get in there. Now!

Hah. Look at that. We get another Clasp of Kyn. A pity we have 0 level 10s in the caravan, much less 2.

Day 83. Our clansmen can't forage fast enough.

Bolverk's right, though. This is gonna be awful for everyone.

: Well, just that I was scouting around this place, you know. And I went up on a hill to watch the dredge. The, um, banner we saw? It's from Einartoft.
Einartoft. You grimace as the town's name floods your mind with images. A giant bridge. Hundreds of varl. Iver in your way. Your anger focused just beyond him.
(That's not Bolverk's memory, y'all.)

"Stick with him," you growl to the few fighters you allow to join. "If he's still as lucky as he claims, we'll grab the others and get back in one piece."

And so we set out to meet the Einartoft caravan. Normal setup. Folka tanks, Zefr lays down some Runic Gale, Bolverk picks it up and attacks, Krumr either follows up or gives Bolverk another turn, Dytch moves in front of Bolverk to block enemy movement, Oli softens up. What could go wrong?

For starters, "the enemy has a million gloomwardens" could go wrong.

As could "Runic Gale gives a bunch of willpower spots instead of something useful when the caravan is maxed out on willpower since the battle just started."

Let's also not forget "a gloomwarden is smart and drumfires on Folka and Bolverk so that she can't tank anything, and Bolverk will take 1 strength for every square that he has to walk on drumfire." That could go wrong too.

Not to be outdone by "another gloomwarden gets the same idea so that Bolverk is maimed before he even gets his second turn."

Short of leaving Bolverk back entirely there's nothing I could have done about this. I probably should have let him fall in order to get him out of the turn queue.

Krumr still has his strength, but gloomwardens have huge armor break and Folka can't get to Krumr easily thanks to there being an ENORMOUS hazard on the map.

Once Folka drops, it's all over. I don't have anyone left to absorb hits and there are several high strength units still on the map.

This helps a little bit and repairs Krumr's armor.

And, briefly, it looks like I might be able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

But Krumr crits someone to death by accident, which moves up this gloomwarden in the queue before Zefr can patch his armor back up. Now Krumr is maimed and I don't have anyone who can do sufficient damage. Oh well, maybe I can block pathing with Dytch and have Oli axe throw them to death?

loving smart AI uses drumfire on a stealthed Dytch. Very clever.

And that's gonna be that.

Everyone falls. Anyone die?

Amazingly, no. You can lose this battle and not take any deaths.
Once back in the village, the deep tones of the scarred varl utter curses you've never heard before. Then he sees you.
Hey, I know that guy.
: You the faen leader of these pathetic humans?
: These humans are the Ravens. And I'm Bello...uh, I'm Bolverk. Who are you and why do you look like you were spit out by a Cold Bear?
The varl stares at you and then cracks what might be a smile beneath all the facial wounds.

: We're all that's left of those who fled Grofheim and stood against Bellower at Einartoft. Kvig, run and get us some drat drinks and some meat. Bolverk and I need to talk.
Hey, Fasolt's not dead! Somehow.

: I need fighters and there's a lot more humans to choose from these days.
The scowl leaves Fasolts' face for the first time, a distant look in his eyes.
: I'm alive by luck alone. No skill with a weapon or desire to kill could have seen me through that. Einartoft was a massacre.

: Stick with us and you can get some revenge.
: What makes you think I'm interested in anything like that?
He holds you stare for a moment before laughing an unexpected, cruel laugh.
: The truth is, I could kill a hundred of these slags a day and not be fulfilled. There's more dredge than rats and after Grofheim and Einartoft, we...the varl are done.
: What happened back there?
: More death than I've seen in all my centuries combined. Bellower led an incredible force against us...with such precision. He moved his hordes of fighters around like his own arms and legs. And if we faen cut one off, he just grew another.
Why do you feel proud?
: Why didn't more of you flee?
: Jorundr. He decided to make stand. I was left for dead. Woke up to actual ravens pecking my face. drat near got my eyes.
: How did you make it through the fields of dredge?
: This stuff behind us? Faen easy. Those aren't all dredge warriors. They might all be armed, but they're mostly families. Most won't bother you if you leave them alone.
: Since when have dredge ever left us alone?

: Most. Seems to be a number of them hunting something or someone though.
: The Battle of Boersgard was a bloodbath too.
: Oh? What happened?
: The Ravens were called in to keep people from rioting. Trying to get those people to leave was useless. Then Bellower showed up with an army. A human took him down.
: A human? The immortal Bellower's dead?
His question makes you tense, though you're unclear why.
: Wait, which human?

The varl's demeanor changes. He's growling.
: Is Rook still alive?
: No, Bellower killed him before falling. His daughter is leading their group to Arberrang now. Why?
: Because I've come all this way with a faen message for her father from our former king...but she'll do.
Fasolt's eyes, accented by the torn skin, look deadly.
EDITOR'S NOTE: I think the flag for how the bridge of Einartoft fell is set incorrectly. Or read incorrectly. Fasolt seems to think Rook brought it down rather than Jorundr agreeing to it. Or maybe Fasolt, who was "dead" before the bridge fell, assumes that the humans did it. I don't know. In any event, he's pissed off.

You have more questions, but decide to leave the varl to his brooding thoughts.

So...here's the problem. All our best units are injured. Some for 6 days. Some for 4. There are very few worthwhile units elsewhere in the caravan. Even Fasolt, who is an incredibly good tank, starts at level 3 and we don't have the renown to promote him.

And we only have 2 days of supplies. I rest 2 days, and then we head out. Hopefully clansmen can forage the rest for us.

Except...I forgot that this is the last rest opportunity of the chapter.

Now it is time to outrun the dredge and the ever-encroaching darkness. While starving. And wounded. A death march indeed.

: Move out! And leave the fighting to those who know how!
(We need them to forage, if nothing else.)
The caravan responds to the command without complaint. You even see a few smiling at you as if you've done something good just by getting them moving. Stupid humans.

BGM: The Twilight Flight

And almost immediately we're accosted by dredge.
VOTE TIME! PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION!:siren:

Bluntly: we're not strong enough to fight off the dredge in most battles. I can try to get away with one here and there, and Folka, Dytch, and Zefr don't need strength to be effective. Mogun, Fasolt, and Bersi can probably fill in in a pinch, and Sparr's not bad either. If I play this really well I might be able to do all the fights without disaster striking. But the A team is injured to the point of ineffectiveness, and the B team, well...it's a rough fit.

So, 2 things to vote on.
A.) HOW DO WE HANDLE THIS EVENT WITH SPARR
1.) Let Sparr have his glorious moment with a few others. Old man has been through worse scrapes; maybe he'll survive.
2.) Send a dozen unnamed fighters to keep them at bay. Fighters before heroes!
3.) Do it ourselves, and drat the injuries.
4.) Not even sure what this does. But you can vote for it!
5.) Ignore them and see if Fasolt is right about being able to avoid fights with dredge.

B.) This will not be the last time that one of the Ravens tries to play hero. Some of the Ravens are more competent at leadership than others. If someone offers to lead a charge instead of the main force doing it, who should we let try? You can vote for multiple characters. If that character has a heroic event and you all vote in favor, we'll try it that person's way. If you vote against it, we'll do a standard fight and cross our fingers. This genuinely isn't a trap choice--some of the Ravens are more apt to leadership and war than others. This is like a "send Thane in the vents Mass Effect 2" kind of situation. There legitimately are correct choices.

WHO SHOULD WE SUPPORT IF THEY ASK TO LEAD A FIGHT THEMSELVES?
Folka
Sparr
Oli
Krumr
Zefr
Mogun
Bersi
Sigbjorn
Fasolt
Gudmundr
Dytch
Bak

FairGame fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 3, 2018

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
1. He's ancient and knows what's coming, let him have his glory.

I don't have strong feelings about the others except
Krumr should get to do what he wants. This varl doesn't seem to listen to Bolverk anyway.

edit:
Oli
Mogun
Bersi
Sigbjorn
Fasolt
Gudmundr
Dytch
Bak

can all go too. End of the world and all that.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 2, 2018

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

But the A team is injured to the point of ineffectiveness, and the B team, well...it's a rough fit.

So, 2 things to vote on.
A.) HOW DO WE HANDLE THIS EVENT WITH SPARR
3.) Do it ourselves, and drat the injuries.

B.) This will not be the last time that one of the Ravens tries to play hero. Some of the Ravens are more competent at leadership than others. If someone offers to lead a charge instead of the main force doing it, who should we let try? You can vote for multiple characters. If that character has a heroic event and you all vote in favor, we'll try it that person's way. If you vote against it, we'll do a standard fight and cross our fingers. This genuinely isn't a trap choice--some of the Ravens are more apt to leadership and war than others. This is like a "send Thane in the vents Mass Effect 2" kind of situation. There legitimately are correct choices.

WHO SHOULD WE SUPPORT IF THEY ASK TO LEAD A FIGHT THEMSELVES?
Oli
Mogun
Bersi
Sigbjorn
Fasolt
Gudmundr
Dytch
Bak

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A) 4, mostly because I can't resist a mystery result.
B) Sigbjorn seems competent, and Fasolt is shiny and new and also probably competent, so why not.

Also:

quote:

: I keep seeing dredge in different ways. We're eating together, then they're gone. Once, I was teaching them how to fight and tehy respected me. It's not me, but it feels like me.

quote:

: Well, just that I was scouting around this place, you know. ANd I went up on a hill to watch the dredge. The, um, banner we saw? It's from Einartoft.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A.5.) Ignore them and see if Fasolt is right about being able to avoid fights with dredge.

And as for B, Krumr is in the running for the oldest varl in existence. This big guy has seen more battles than generations of humans have lived years. He can lead.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Some clarification on the second vote: if you don’t vote FOR a hero, it is by definition a vote against that hero.

So the person who voted for Krumr leading is ALSO voting “no” for every non-Krumr hero, should they try and lead a fight.

Which is why you can vote for multiple heroes. Like Llama did.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That is a terrifyingly lovely effect on the world map.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

#4, Sparr, Krumr, Zefr, Fasolt, Gudmundr, Dytch, and I know he's not on the list, but if Kvig is important enough to join as a hero unit, let the youngin join the fight.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

5 and support all heroes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I suppose if you're on a horrible death march, there's nobody better or more qualified to lead it in the known world besides Krumr and Bolverk.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FairGame posted:

Once, I was teaching them how to fight and tehy respected me. It's not me, but it feels like me.

: THey won't live to learn their mistake!

Look at the sky. This isnt' s

THe clansmen don't seem to mind the rest

The pieces of Bygglaerer's godstone, put together without mortar or daubt,

In life, he traveled the land, laying the world's cavernous foudnations

ANd I went up on a hill to watch the dredge.
I forget - did we ever have a brief explanation of what gloomwardens actually do?

Is there supposed to be a question prefacing Fasolt's "I am alive by luck alone"?

Also, there's a bunch of "/" signs which... I dunno, are they supposed to be there as some sort of "and so on"?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 2, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

FairGame posted:

Inserted the missing screenshot and made the typo corrections (though unless I didn't make any typoes on the most recent post, could use a pair of eyes on that too.
You didn't make any typos in that one. Kudos!

Nah, just kidding.

FairGame posted:

What in the dephs am I looking at, Valka?

I'm not sure about hte horseborn

"We're a rough crowd, right? But we'll keep our distance," he says before whisling

The stone path, by the way, is a kragsmen cemetary. They get real upset at us defiling their cemetary
The woods keep us busy and are unfortiving

: I should get hte clan ready

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I forget - did we ever have a brief explanation of what gloomwardens actually do?

He's got a mix of Direguards and Gloomwardens in there, (or rather, one Gloomwarden and a million Direguards,) so here's and Official Banner Saga Wiki entry for each:

FairGame's in hard mode, so the listed numbers are lower than he was dealing with.

aegof fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 2, 2018

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

VOTE CLOSED so that I can keep things moving.

We have a tie for the first choice. I'm going to break it with "Fasolt said they might not want to fight" and we'll see what happens.

For "who gets to go fight if they ask for it": Fasolt and Krumr get to for sure. Oli, Zefr, Gudmundr, and Dytch are all tied, I think.

We'll generate 4 random numbers for them: odd numbers mean they get to go off and do their thing, even means we refuse

Oli, Zefr, Gudmundr, and Dytch will go in order: 10, 2, 4, 1

Dytch will go fight if he gets an event. Everyone else stays home.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

FairGame posted:

: I need fighters and there's a lot more humans to choose from these days.
THe scowl leaves Fasolts' face for the first time, a distant look in his eyes.
: I'm alive by luck alone.
"The" scowl, and I'm still not sure that that's how the conversation should go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Xander77 posted:

"The" scowl, and I'm still not sure that that's how the conversation should go.

It is.

e: it's also possible that the conversation flows weirdly because losing the fight failed to trigger something. But I certainly didn't skip any dialogue

FairGame fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 3, 2018