Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Amppelix posted:

It is, in fact, what started the XV discussion this time around.

Although nobody probably watched it. I know I didn't.

It actually didn't, because I started this discussion! I brought up FFXV because I'm actually playing it and getting legit baffled by some of its problems!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It came up in the RPG thread which is easy to confuse for this one

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ah, yeah, that's exactly what happened.

I actually like watching incredibly long complaint videos about games I've already played and formed an opinion on, the only reason I didn't watch this one is because I haven't played XV and I do still plan to some day.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I didn't watch the video because, for me, FF XV wasn't a mediocre dissapointment, it was an expected enjoyment, and I've played it for a week straight after I've gotten it for Christmas, and was enthralled the whole way - and the ending still gets me. It had some incredibly frustrating parts, to be sure, but being with your Bros on the Road wasn't one of them.

The most I'd be able to say as to disappointement would be that I'd waited for the release since the incredible Versus XIII trailer, and what we had gotten is quite literally a different game - but for the amount of waiting and knowing what typically comes after I'd have to say it turned out surprisingly good.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Gologle posted:

Your young mind knew Disgaea before Disgaea knew ye.

In disgaea 1's defense, story mode levels are not overly inflated compared to post game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lobster22221 posted:

In disgaea 1's defense, story mode levels are not overly inflated compared to post game.

That's true of every Disgaea..and actually all of NIS' S/TRPGs.

where the gently caress is Soul Nomad Complete jesus christ

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's true of every Disgaea..and actually all of NIS' S/TRPGs.

where the gently caress is Soul Nomad Complete jesus christ

I believe it, I just never played any of them after 2, and couldn't remember if 2 was the same way.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

i spent many hours doing nothing but play that one disgaea map that's 9 enemies that give good exp standing in a 3x3 grid because it's the best for grinding, literally just starting the map and having laharl walk up and do a big AOE to instaclear the map for sweet sweet levels

I never did anything with those levels though because I could never be bothered to kill Baal and he's like the only person who actually requires you to do that

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I love SEW but he does this crime-podcast thing where he'll slow down his delivery at the end of a downer sentence to the point where he sounds like he's going to cry. I'm sorry the combat system is too basic, dude! You seem to be taking it worse than most.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Especially when they're 50+ minutes long.

Let me tell you my opinion after collecting literally every single solitary collectable in Mario Odyssey for 2 hours.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Space Fish posted:

I love SEW but he does this crime-podcast thing where he'll slow down his delivery at the end of a downer sentence to the point where he sounds like he's going to cry.

I notice that too but I think it's really funny.

I wished he focused more on the shittastic story though. I will never forget that they never explained why Ignis got blinded except via dlc.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I liked FFXV but I'll admit the Final Fantasy Americana aesthetic hits me just right so I'll overlook a number of problems for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Relax Or DIE posted:

I liked FFXV but I'll admit the Final Fantasy Americana aesthetic hits me just right so I'll overlook a number of problems for it.

There's something really good to be said about how Final Fantasy has made legitimately interesting and non-hackneyed fantasy settings out of so many different origins. It started off with conventional European medieval fantasy, but 6 made sort of an Industrial Revolution fantasy setting, 7 managed to pull high fantasy out of grungy cyberpunk and The Thing, 9 borrowed a lot from Southeast Asia to my understanding, 10 was the Polynesian Post-Apocalypse, the Ivalice games have a Renaissance feel to them, and XV somehow gave a high fantasy jolt to generally modern American countryside, which is interesting, if nothing else.

Sometimes you can definitely feel that they can do better--I think FFXV struggles a bit from a dissonance between the 'fantasy' and 'modern' parts of the setting, like it's just regular-rear end American roads, motels and cars dropped into a Final Fantasy landscape, they could've done better to fantasy-up some of that. But it's not like you can point at someone else and say they were doing it better, because they pick some real off the beaten path aesthetics to take one hell of a swing at.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 2, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cleretic posted:

9 borrowed a lot from Southeast Asia to my understanding

Wait what? Can you expand on that? I remember it being very european fairytale themed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tired Moritz posted:

I wished he focused more on the shittastic story though. I will never forget that they never explained why Ignis got blinded except via dlc.

I honestly stopped taking his arguments all that seriously when he spent several minutes building up a major problem that turned out to be... unimportant minor NPC models get reused. :geno:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I agree that the dissonance exists between modern and fantasy in XV but I think that's part if why it works for me, so I don't know that I'd change much. I probably have an essay about XV's world and my personal travel around the country in my brain somewhere but I haven't really put a ton of thought into it.

I will say that being at a regular rear end gas station knowing over the hill behind it is some coeurls or whatever rules for some reason.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

There's something really good to be said about how Final Fantasy has made legitimately interesting and non-hackneyed fantasy settings out of so many different origins. It started off with conventional European medieval fantasy, but 6 made sort of an Industrial Revolution fantasy setting, 7 managed to pull high fantasy out of grungy cyberpunk and The Thing, 9 borrowed a lot from Southeast Asia to my understanding, 10 was the Polynesian Post-Apocalypse, the Ivalice games have a Renaissance feel to them, and XV somehow gave a high fantasy jolt to generally modern American countryside, which is interesting, if nothing else.

Sometimes you can definitely feel that they can do better--I think FFXV struggles a bit from a dissonance between the 'fantasy' and 'modern' parts of the setting, like it's just regular-rear end American roads, motels and cars dropped into a Final Fantasy landscape, they could've done better to fantasy-up some of that. But it's not like you can point at someone else and say they were doing it better, because they pick some real off the beaten path aesthetics to take one hell of a swing at.

Even the very first game wasn't completely conventional fantasy, because you went to an ancient space station for the penultimate dungeon (later versions changed this to a boring old sky castle, bleh).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

Even the very first game wasn't completely conventional fantasy, because you went to an ancient space station for the penultimate dungeon (later versions changed this to a boring old sky castle, bleh).

Not to mention a wacky time travel plot.

One of the original hallmarks of Final Fantasy is the plot going absolutely batshit towards the end. I kinda feel like they’ve toned it down a bit in the more recent mainline games.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, I will admit that I hadn't actually watched that video before I posted it, because I made the (largely correct, I might add) assumption that it would literally just be the same complaints other people have about the game. And yeah, for the most part, it was. But that video should really be titled "FFXV was a mediocre disappointment (*for me)". While the majority of his points are valid and reasonable criticisms, some of them are pretty minor and some of them are misleading if not outright wrong.

The one that I remember in particular is him comparing the event that happens like...two hours, maybe even less depending on how fast you go through the story, or so into the game where you find out that Insomnia has fallen and Sean Bean is loving dead, and he compares that to climactic moments in other games like FF7 where Aeris dies. And its really weird, because like, your comparing something that supposed to set up the rest of the game to a climactic story point meant to crescendo everything that happened before that that occurs over like 20 hours into the game. Like, Insomnia falling to the empire and Aeris dying are not remotely the same climactic event. A much better example would have been Shinra dropping the plate on the lower districts, killing hundreds of people in not only a show of force but to snuff out a small terrorist organization that's not that big a threat to their global power anyway.

Both of those events happen early on in the story and establish that the villains are ruthless evil people wielding incredible power that they have no compunction with using on innocent people in pursuit of their goals. And then later in the video he puts forth a different scenario of the game (that I and many others agree that they probably should have done) where you spend more time in Insomnia at the beginning of the game and grow to love the city and its people over the course of a few hours and it begins to make sense. He had this strange fanfiction idea in his head of what FFXV should have been, basically just the beginning of FF7, and was disappointed when it didn't happen.

And then later on in the video toward the end he even points of the insane development issues that the game had, which all of us are aware of from Sunning's many posts and Tabata's own refreshing candidness about the subject, but whereas most of us can agree that that means that the game being as good as it is, which may not be that good mind you, you can clearly see the stitches in the thread here, is something of a video game miracle. However, he uses that as another negative point against the game. Like yeah dude, this game had massive issues in development and as such came out as a flawed product that, at least at launch, was clearly incomplete in many places, what did you expect from 7 years of wasted effort and 3 years of desperately trying to stitch a game together to ship?

But again, most of his points are valid and also nothing new, you can find them yourself just digging through this thread, they're all touched on.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Gologle posted:

OK, I will admit that I hadn't actually watched that video before I posted it, because I made the (largely correct, I might add) assumption that it would literally just be the same complaints other people have about the game. And yeah, for the most part, it was. But that video should really be titled "FFXV was a mediocre disappointment (*for me)". While the majority of his points are valid and reasonable criticisms, some of them are pretty minor and some of them are misleading if not outright wrong.

The one that I remember in particular is him comparing the event that happens like...two hours, maybe even less depending on how fast you go through the story, or so into the game where you find out that Insomnia has fallen and Sean Bean is loving dead, and he compares that to climactic moments in other games like FF7 where Aeris dies. And its really weird, because like, your comparing something that supposed to set up the rest of the game to a climactic story point meant to crescendo everything that happened before that that occurs over like 20 hours into the game. Like, Insomnia falling to the empire and Aeris dying are not remotely the same climactic event. A much better example would have been Shinra dropping the plate on the lower districts, killing hundreds of people in not only a show of force but to snuff out a small terrorist organization that's not that big a threat to their global power anyway.

I think he compared it to the escape from Midgar. Before Aerith's death.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Nope, I just went back through that hour long video to check. He explicitly compares it to Aeris dying.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gologle posted:

Nope, I just went back through that hour long video to check. He explicitly compares it to Aeris dying.

Which is explicitly as "this should be a memorable thing that people talk about" not "these two are literally equivalent"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'll always remember when Jared died. All those good times I had like going on message boards to ask who the gently caress that was, and then trying to find his story that was not in the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Even then, should it be something people talk about in FF15? It's in the first two hours man, it's not supposed to be a climactic moment that you get after trekking through multiple hours into the game. The memorable part of the story that everybody talks about in FF15 is the roadtrip with your bros (no homo).

EDIT: Again, in his vision of the game where you spend time in Insomnia at the start (which we can both agree probably should have been in the game) hearing about and later seeing the fall of the city would have been a climactic moment that people would have talked about, because you had time to experience the city and care about it and the people in it.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 2, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Ah my bad.

Played through FFXV at launch. Liked it despite it's faults. While i'm glad they are still continuing to develop FFXV. i kinda wish they'd be done with it. So I can revisit it again from scratch.
I heard they wanna a new (good?) ending? I liked the ending it currently has. It was powerful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
perhaps the bloviating youtube man is just a bit thick

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It already has one new good ending, its one of the DLCs and its explicitly an alternate timeline

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

Wait what? Can you expand on that? I remember it being very european fairytale themed.

Not SE Asian, but it was developed at Square's Hawaii headquarters and it borrows some Hawaiian elements, particularly the chocobo music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTd-OnrZCU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Have modders replaced Noctis with Lightning yet?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

Have modders replaced Noctis with Lightning yet?

Months ago

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1418419260&searchtext=

Also the girls from xenoblade, Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball, Sora, Stella, Lunafreya, 2B, and Astolfo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Not SE Asian, but it was developed at Square's Hawaii headquarters and it borrows some Hawaiian elements, particularly the chocobo music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTd-OnrZCU

Also, some of the places like Madain Sari and Conde Petie felt very distinctly non-European.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, some of the places like Madain Sari and Conde Petie felt very distinctly non-European.

Good point. I don't know if they felt Asian, but definitely not european. Other than the scottish dwarves. The kirkboat thing felt like it could be kind of european. Maybe
How did the dwarves in Conde Petie speak in the japanese version?

Edit: Madain Sari is apparently similarly named to an ancient city north of Saudi Arabia.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 2, 2018

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FF XV wasn't a mediocre disappointment, more like a mediocre surprise. My expectations for it were rock bottom and I didn't expect it to turn out nearly as good as it did. It's still mediocre but it does have a few high points that hit the mark and after FF XIII, I'm not sure how anyone could say XV unfinished as it is was worse.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
both of them are unfinished messes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FFXV was an unfinished mess I liked

Barudak
May 7, 2007

13 has a way better combat and leveling system. FFXV has everything else being better but some of them, like story and weapon upgrading, is damning with faint praise.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Not to mention a wacky time travel plot.

One of the original hallmarks of Final Fantasy is the plot going absolutely batshit towards the end. I kinda feel like they’ve toned it down a bit in the more recent mainline games.

You think ff13 is toned down compared to ff1???

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Tired Moritz posted:

I notice that too but I think it's really funny.

I really don't see why it needed to be explained at all. He got hurt during the battle and Noctis was helpless to prevent it and feels bad about it. That's all you need to know and the scene is stronger for it. They should have made it clearer just how bad it was though. I didn't realize until the train ride.

Anyway FFXV was worth it based on the strength of the soundtrack alone. It's so drat good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mandatory lesbian posted:

You think ff13 is toned down compared to ff1???

In general hell naw, FFXIII is way more off the deep end. I think the difference for me is I really enjoy how a plot starts off relatively normal, then hilariously derails. Your war-crazed kingdom is somehow compromised? It’s actually a moon ghost, to which you fly a whale to reach. A war-crazed country is somehow compromised? Let’s literally reboot the universe. A war-crazed country is somehow compromised (but this time medieval)? It’s the lead character’s evil twin from another planet, also you fight the concept of death itself for some reason.

XIII was full blast wtf from the very beginning, so there really wasn’t much of that ramp up. Granted, I am NOT counting the sequels, which do take the cake here. Just the main games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I really don't see why it needed to be explained at all. He got hurt during the battle and Noctis was helpless to prevent it and feels bad about it. That's all you need to know and the scene is stronger for it. They should have made it clearer just how bad it was though. I didn't realize until the train ride.

Anyway FFXV was worth it based on the strength of the soundtrack alone. It's so drat good.

yoko shimomura is and always has been a better composer than uematsu there i said it fight me you cowards