Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

The best way to sell stuff on ebay is to not, because you're going to get scammed, repeatedly.

This. I was selling comics and got burned a few times and said gently caress it, I have a dude coming sunday to pick it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Speaking of selling on ebay, any advice?

Craigslist and a police station parking lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well gently caress :(

[edit]

Can any of you electrical engineers tell me if I can get an ebay charger to work with this electric skateboard?

The one they sell on the board's website is $40 here:

https://www.benchwheel.com/collections/patrs/products/electric-skateboards-charger

And I found this one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Char...dAAAOSwiFtbm6Fg

And this one on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Batt...s=25.2v+charger

According to the board maker's website you can ONLY use the one they sell, but I have a feeling that's not the case?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 2, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You're trying to profit off vape stuff. Just do the world a favor and throw that trash away.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Throw that trash away.

Yeah I just might, more trouble than it's worth.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Alternately -- Facebook Marketplace or preferably Nextdoor.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

One on ebay seems to match the voltage rating as the OEM one. But ask yourself, do you even want an electric scooter? Or will you use it once and then it'll take up space in your garage?

ergo:

Suburban Dad posted:

throw that trash away.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Yeah honestly unless you intend on selling THC concentrate in the near future they are pretty much worthless (assuming you're not as broke as I am).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

One on ebay seems to match the voltage rating as the OEM one. But ask yourself, do you even want an electric scooter? Or will you use it once and then it'll take up space in your garage?

ergo:

It's a skateboard, and I ride skateboards so i want to get it to work. Between my son and i we own probably 8 boards, having an electric powered board would be nice to add to the collection, no way it's getting tossed.

Worst case if I don't like it I can sell it for a couple hundred bucks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The offbrand chargers will probably be fine, but the point is more how cheaply they're made. If they're poorly made there's a good chance they'll wreck the battery/charging circuit on the skateboard.

Honestly, $40 for an adapter is not expensive, I'd just buy the name brand for the peace of mind. If you don't like it in the end having an original charger for it will help with the sale.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
For real, if you can sell it for a couple hundred just get the OEM adapter to preserve that value.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, I figured they were just re selling poo poo like the one on ebay since they look very similar and are both made in China.

Don't wanna risk damaging the batteries tho.

[e] although I'm not sure what condition the batteries are in to begin with, the thing was outside for a day or two in the hot sun and humidity....Maybe even some rain. The battery unit isn't showing any signs of life as it is, any way to test them with a multimeter or something?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 2, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have bought and sold easily 200k on eBay. Sure I’ve been scammed in past 20 years but it happens rarely. So rare I don’t even think about it. Vape crap might attract worse. My buddy has been killing it on Facebook marketplace with cars and boats. I’m going to try it out when I’m back from vacation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

I have bought and sold easily 200k on eBay. Sure I’ve been scammed in past 20 years but it happens rarely. So rare I don’t even think about it. Vape crap might attract worse. My buddy has been killing it on Facebook marketplace with cars and boats. I’m going to try it out when I’m back from vacation.

I just got sick of non paying buyers. I read a thing where there's guys who will bid poo poo up on purpose just to keep people from winning and never pay and Ebay doesn't do poo poo. You can't even leave negative feedback anymore.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just got sick of non paying buyers. I read a thing where there's guys who will bid poo poo up on purpose just to keep people from winning and never pay and Ebay doesn't do poo poo. You can't even leave negative feedback anymore.

Yeah I’m sure that poo poo happens all the time, I only sell with buy it now and payment required past 4-5 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Yeah I’m sure that poo poo happens all the time, I only sell with buy it now and payment required past 4-5 years.

BIN doesn't work so well for comics (the majority of what I sell) when you actually want them to move. I as straight up 7 day auctions. Made about a grand in Aug-Sep but there was $250 of unpaid stuff i had to relist and got half the original sale for. Just peaced out, done.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

everdave posted:

This is key.

Also with listed worst-case shipping cost with insurance figured in. Mostly I was flipping old paintball gear, though, so the people buying generally knew what they were getting.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of my buddies wants all the vape poo poo so I'll let him deal with it :v:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

One of my buddies wants all the vape poo poo so I'll let him deal with it :v:

:2bong::350::420::2bong::350::420::2bong::350::420::2bong::350::420::2bong::350::420::2bong::350::420:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jesse James has that "pay up" tattoo on his palm with a dollar sign.

Maybe get that.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

BraveUlysses posted:

we should make this a game for october: find the absolute worst vape store names within 200 miles of your house

GodFather Vape
Godfoggers Vape Casa
Vape-O-Rama
Ooh Vape
Strictly Vape
Vape on the Beach (:eyepoop:)
O Vapor Ballard
Xhale Vapor N Smoke
Mister Cloud's Extraordinary E-Juices
Stache Vape
Vapor St8
Steampunk Vapory Lounge

There's one within two miles of me called spinners vapes

Yes, fidget spinners

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

slothrop posted:

I'm guessing here...

Statutory Vape

Vape Van

I'm going to tie you to a radiator and Vape you in the mouth

Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavapenaugh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
E-Clectic Vape, Foggy's Vapes (TWO of them), Nicotine Nirvana, and NS Computers and Vapour (yes, a shifty computer store that sells vape supplies) are all within 10km of me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They need to hurry up and regulate that poo poo so I don't have to see all these stupid storefronts when I drive through town.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

They need to hurry up and regulate that poo poo so I don't have to see all these stupid storefronts when I drive through town.

Not an emptyquote.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

Not an emptyquote.

A brief look tells me there are 9 vape stores in the city and 4 more in towns just outside the city limits. And the head shops also all carry this crap. I really just want to see the mass freakout when the hammer falls.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

A brief look tells me there are 9 vape stores in the city and 4 more in towns just outside the city limits. And the head shops also all carry this crap. I really just want to see the mass freakout when the hammer falls.

The hammer has been slowly falling for years, but JUUL might be pushing the limit. I have yet to meet someone in high school who doesn't have one

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

jonathan posted:

Jesse James has that "pay up" tattoo on his palm with a dollar sign.

Maybe get that.

Weird I was just mentioning this today to a coworker. Can't even remember the context.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

The hammer has been slowly falling for years, but JUUL might be pushing the limit. I have yet to meet someone in high school who doesn't have one

How many highschoolers do you meet? 🤔

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

I don't know what the laws are in Florida but in Indiana you have to hold their poo poo for a period before throwing it away or selling it. We've gotten some badass stuff from eviction clean outs here. Chest freezer, pre built kegerator (sold) and tons of tools.

In TX, once a writ of possession is granted, you and your poo poo are getting tossed on the curb once the sheriff shows up (you have 24 hours to get your poo poo out from the time the court finalizes everything), unless it's raining, sleeting, or snowing. The landlord can't personally remove you from the property, that requires the sheriff. But once you're officially out, the landlord can toss your poo poo on the curb immediately.

The only catch is they can't block any sidewalks or pathways.

Texas is a very tenant-unfriendly state.

That said, I've had leases that stated that if I was evicted, the landlord was to store my property for 30 days before disposing of it. My last apt had that clause, but I saw plenty of eviction notices on doors, with a pile of furniture and belongings in front of the nearest dumpster the next day (maintenance was too lazy to actually put the poo poo IN the dumpster.. but they tossed refrigerators in the dumpster all the time [which is very illegal unless the refrigerant is recovered first, AFAIK]).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

"for outdoor freaks"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I was gonna say, I immediately recognized that vape stuff as being weed related. I know a few people with them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"People". :v:

I have a single AA powered "herbal" vape instead. It takes plain old ground up "herbs" instead of expensive oils/waxes/etc. Not effective for getting your herb dosage in a hurry, but it does the trick.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ok, I figured they were just re selling poo poo like the one on ebay since they look very similar and are both made in China.

Don't wanna risk damaging the batteries tho.

[e] although I'm not sure what condition the batteries are in to begin with, the thing was outside for a day or two in the hot sun and humidity....Maybe even some rain. The battery unit isn't showing any signs of life as it is, any way to test them with a multimeter or something?

I'd go with the cheap ebay one, since it looks identical it probably is. I bet all those cheapy board manufacturers just buy whatever generic stuff anyway. It's not worth spending more money on something that you don't even know works, IMO.

I'm concerned that the voltage is that specific, though, because that implies that there is no/minimal battery charging/regulation circuitry in the board, and it just relies on the voltage at the power adapter. I guess another possibility is that the power adapter is actually a proper charger, which I have seen on the old lead acid scooters (e.g. Zap). However, lithium batteries are a lot more particular about their charging circuitry than lead acid, so that's still less than ideal.

So, if the board does work, it might be worth popping it open to see what is going on in there. If the battery does have a separate charging circuit onboard, it's probably not too particular about what charger you use anyway. The battery probably won't last super long if it doesn't, but heck, the thing was free.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LloydDobler posted:

Weird I was just mentioning this today to a coworker. Can't even remember the context.

I actually respect the guy mostly. There was the cheating on Sandra Bullock thing which was lovely, but the dude is good at his crafts and certainly works hard.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Raluek posted:

I'd go with the cheap ebay one, since it looks identical it probably is. I bet all those cheapy board manufacturers just buy whatever generic stuff anyway. It's not worth spending more money on something that you don't even know works, IMO.

I'm concerned that the voltage is that specific, though, because that implies that there is no/minimal battery charging/regulation circuitry in the board, and it just relies on the voltage at the power adapter. I guess another possibility is that the power adapter is actually a proper charger, which I have seen on the old lead acid scooters (e.g. Zap). However, lithium batteries are a lot more particular about their charging circuitry than lead acid, so that's still less than ideal.

So, if the board does work, it might be worth popping it open to see what is going on in there. If the battery does have a separate charging circuit onboard, it's probably not too particular about what charger you use anyway. The battery probably won't last super long if it doesn't, but heck, the thing was free.

The benchwheel one and the eBay one look pretty much identical. Both are 25.2v @2A DC output. Both are made in China, and let's be honest, probably came from the same factory. DC power supplies like this are pretty simple and there isn't much special about them. Some laptop chargers talk with the laptop but I seriously doubt this would, as the label appears to be a standard power supply. I'd just try the cheap one.
(I'm actually an EE if that matters)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BraveUlysses posted:

How many highschoolers do you meet? 🤔

Too many. All of the dishwashers and bussers are in high school, and my fiance's brother and sister are still in high school too

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

we should make this a game for october: find the absolute worst vape store names within 200 miles of your house

The one that comes to mind is Avail Vapor, which sign is in all caps so it always looks like ANAL VAPOR at a quick glance.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All the vape shops around here are dodgy phone repair shops that branched out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

fridge corn posted:

All the vape shops around here are dodgy phone repair shops that branched out

Mkes sense.
:lol: vape shops are illegal in WA*, though they exist in other states of Australia. Also no nicotine juice is legal and most of those eastern state shops are pushing the law with order here, eg collect our nic juice by mail from NZ if you can't work it out for yourself.

*E: technically don't know much beyond one was raided and prosecuted, so the rest shut down, moved to mail order or premises in other states.

The worst thing about vape culture is not the ...clouds... It was turning people into Nigel Farage fans.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 3, 2018

• Locked thread