Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I'm 6'2"ish and a normal roof SJ was fine for me.

Also, just found this at a convenience store:

http://amzn.asia/d/2ZG3E0n

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Femtosecond posted:

Hey KakerMix could you give your impressions of what your Jimnys are like to drive? What would be the closest comparable? Like a Jeep Wrangler is somewhat similar in style.

I remain pretty curious about importing a Jimny. I wonder if there could be a market for them here in Vancouver BC. People like to go camping and Jeep Wranglers are super prevalent on the streets.

Jimnys are great, but I have to mention that I am in a nice part of Florida which means our roads are smooth, flat, and hills are rare. I'll also never see ice or snow, so take that into consideration as well.
They are slow but feel fast. When you get on them you run out of first gear immediately, starting from second is common. When you turn corners and downshift, you go into third rather than second like on a normal manual transmission car. The turbo is critical to getting speed and you can feel and hear it once it kicks on. At cruising speed (40-55 mph) the turbo is spooling and on, so the sensation is a tiny change in your throttle is magnified pretty dramatically, giving a sort of on-off switch-like feeling while accelerating. I wouldn't ever take one out on the interstate but I'm hesitant to take the AZ-1 out there anyway. JA11s (post 1990) Jimnys are quicker and smoother than the pre-1990 ones (JA71). Top speed is 60mph maybe, and that would really be pushing it. Assume 55mph, max. My wife is dailying the blue 89 one and has fell in love with it, wants to sell her yellow tracker and just thinks it's the best thing ever. Lots of attention and thumbs up too, and many people going "Woah nice Samurai!"
Power steering is not required in the least with these, assuming you have stock tires anyway.
For comparisons uh, a go-kart crossed with a Jeep? It's very unlike any Jeep I've driven or ridden in, Jimnys are incredibly nimble and light and dart and skip around rather than any sort of wallowing or lurching. Everything feels purposeful and efficient. There is a dome light, but it's on the driver's side B pillar, and there is no sensor for the passenger door. If you open the passenger door, the light won't come on. Only the driver's side door triggers it. Suspension is harsh, leafs all around means that when you hit anything close to washboard you bounce like a motherfucker. Being that you are in Canada you can get the newer ones, I imagine those are much more car-like and pleasant. However the darty harshness is a whole lot of character so shouldn't be seen as a total negative.
Both my wife and I work from home so we don't commute in these at all, that probably would color someone's perception of trying to use one of these as their only car. For inner-city stuff and offroad stuff though? They are fantastic.

This isn't going anywhere for me :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

Looks like around 5,000 USD, final price is listed as 4890 but then 'sold by nego'

Sometimes when the highest bidder doesn't meet the reserve the seller might start a negotiation. Hell of a deal for a 4 door, 2003, diesel Toyota Hilux with AC and 57000 km. Seats look trashed but hey so what :v:

Cool, I'll hang onto my dad's 2003 Hilux a bit longer and get a massive profit from it :D

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Jimnys are great, but I have to mention that I am in a nice part of Florida which means our roads are smooth, flat, and hills are rare. I'll also never see ice or snow, so take that into consideration as well.
They are slow but feel fast. When you get on them you run out of first gear immediately, starting from second is common. When you turn corners and downshift, you go into third rather than second like on a normal manual transmission car. The turbo is critical to getting speed and you can feel and hear it once it kicks on. At cruising speed (40-55 mph) the turbo is spooling and on, so the sensation is a tiny change in your throttle is magnified pretty dramatically, giving a sort of on-off switch-like feeling while accelerating. I wouldn't ever take one out on the interstate but I'm hesitant to take the AZ-1 out there anyway. JA11s (post 1990) Jimnys are quicker and smoother than the pre-1990 ones (JA71). Top speed is 60mph maybe, and that would really be pushing it. Assume 55mph, max. My wife is dailying the blue 89 one and has fell in love with it, wants to sell her yellow tracker and just thinks it's the best thing ever. Lots of attention and thumbs up too, and many people going "Woah nice Samurai!"
Power steering is not required in the least with these, assuming you have stock tires anyway.
For comparisons uh, a go-kart crossed with a Jeep? It's very unlike any Jeep I've driven or ridden in, Jimnys are incredibly nimble and light and dart and skip around rather than any sort of wallowing or lurching. Everything feels purposeful and efficient. There is a dome light, but it's on the driver's side B pillar, and there is no sensor for the passenger door. If you open the passenger door, the light won't come on. Only the driver's side door triggers it. Suspension is harsh, leafs all around means that when you hit anything close to washboard you bounce like a motherfucker. Being that you are in Canada you can get the newer ones, I imagine those are much more car-like and pleasant. However the darty harshness is a whole lot of character so shouldn't be seen as a total negative.
Both my wife and I work from home so we don't commute in these at all, that probably would color someone's perception of trying to use one of these as their only car. For inner-city stuff and offroad stuff though? They are fantastic.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like they could be a good fit for around the Vancouver area where you have a fair amount of accessible wilderness nearby and there's enough highway traffic that you can hang out in the slow lane while getting there and people wouldn't be too annoyed about your speed.

quote:

This isn't going anywhere for me :(

Doh Japanese characters seemed to have mangled that link... Try this one: http://amzn.asia/d/2ZG3E0n

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Yo

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Saw a jimny today with a 5l metal fuel can in a carrier instead of the spare wheel :3:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
OK, time to actually get serious about this!

What do you guys know about the L400 type Delicas? There's a '95 turbo diesel Charmonix (:krad:) for sale near me, might be able to talk them down to AU$6k based on an almost identical one for sale in the north part of the state. Is an auto unfortunately, manuals seem to be rare as hen's teeth. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sorell/cars-vans-utes/for-sale-delica-chamonmix-1995/1196526212

Would mostly be using it for weekend trips (I usually take either my bicycle or KLR to work), and hopefully a big lap of the country before shipping it to the US in 2020.

Colorado has apparently made it more difficult to register an overseas vehicle as of last year - need a bond release letter from DOT/NHTSA. Has anyone had to deal with that before? Does that mean doing stuff like changing lights/indicators and things like that? I do remember reading about the headlights for RHD L400s being made of unobtanium.

I do wonder if I couldn't sneak it in by titling it in Florida first (where I am currently a resident) then doing it as an out of state registration...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Saw a jimny today with a 5l metal fuel can in a carrier instead of the spare wheel :3:

:3:
Jimny Talk:
Received another one the other day, real nice and clean. Immediate issues are the rear door wouldn't open and the shifter was real sloppy. Door was easy enough, crawl in the back, pop the access panel, grease up the mechanism, bam, started opening smoothly, no issues.
The shifter issue involved lifting up the floor carpeting, unscrewing the shift knob, taking off 4 bolts, lifting the cover, another 3 bolts and lifting the whole stick out of the transmission linkage box.

Oh.
On the diagram, the bolt I am holding in my hand is 22, bolts right into the hole on the bottom of that circle. The whole point is to keep the gear shift pivoted to keep it from flipping about. Beaten flat on either side which is wild because this thing doesn't have any miles or wear of any other kind on it. Common enough issue though, lots of OEM parts here in the USA for the Samurai but just as well for the Jimny. That second piece looks to be something they attempted to put in there to make up for the fact that the bolt wasn't round anymore, the bolt itself is still in once piece. Put in an order on eBay for 10 of them (can only get a bag of 10 from Suzuki I guess) and I'll put it back together, clean and grease it up when it gets here. Then it's off to do the cosmetics, wheels need to be repainted (but the tires are from 2017) but otherwise it doesn't need anything at all. Just a good scrub. Might see about what I can do about that bottom dent on the left side but I'm not too worried about it.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Colorado has apparently made it more difficult to register an overseas vehicle as of last year - need a bond release letter from DOT/NHTSA. Has anyone had to deal with that before? Does that mean doing stuff like changing lights/indicators and things like that? I do remember reading about the headlights for RHD L400s being made of unobtanium.

No comment on the Delica itself, but any vehicle you legally bring into the USA has a bond release from the Dept of Homeland Security, DOT/EPA/NHTSA exemptions are a requirement for getting the vehicle released by them.

To get this (filled out for your vehicle you are importing) you have already had DOT/EPA forms filled out, (DOT being the NHTSA form). You don't actually interact with them at all for the import process though, just their forms filled out for Homeland Security. It sounds like you are talking about bringing in something that doesn't fall under the 25 year rule. That doesn't stop people from bringing stuff in before then, but whatever it is won't ever be legal, and if you are looking at a car already here in the states ask to see the 7501 form. If they won't let you or don't know what you are talking about, walk away. Even not-titled vehicles will have this form.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 1, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

gotta have that spare shovel ready

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

No comment on the Delica itself, but any vehicle you legally bring into the USA has a bond release from the Dept of Homeland Security, DOT/EPA/NHTSA exemptions are a requirement for getting the vehicle released by them.

To get this (filled out for your vehicle you are importing) you have already had DOT/EPA forms filled out, (DOT being the NHTSA form). You don't actually interact with them at all for the import process though, just their forms filled out for Homeland Security. It sounds like you are talking about bringing in something that doesn't fall under the 25 year rule. That doesn't stop people from bringing stuff in before then, but whatever it is won't ever be legal, and if you are looking at a car already here in the states ask to see the 7501 form. If they won't let you or don't know what you are talking about, walk away. Even not-titled vehicles will have this form.

Ahh, so the bond thing is basically them making sure you've filled out those forms (came across them in general import paperwork search)? I was assuming it meant you had to get everything up to US spec (aside from steering wheel placement), that sounds less intimidating.

Not 25 years yet, but it will be by the time I'm ready to leave for the US. Basically my plan is to drive it the next two years or so living in Australia (where I live now) and then bring it back with me when I move.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ahh, so the bond thing is basically them making sure you've filled out those forms (came across them in general import paperwork search)? I was assuming it meant you had to get everything up to US spec (aside from steering wheel placement), that sounds less intimidating.

Not 25 years yet, but it will be by the time I'm ready to leave for the US. Basically my plan is to drive it the next two years or so living in Australia (where I live now) and then bring it back with me when I move.

The 25 year mark is key, and they go by manufacture date. It just turned October, so all vehicles manufactured in October of 1993 are now legal to enter the USA. When November 1st hits, all vehicles made in November of 1993, etc. From Japan it takes around a month and a half from purchase to getting the vehicle to the US so you can buy a bit ahead as while it's on the boat it's fine. It just can't enter the country (or leave the port once it gets there) till it turns 25 years old. Federally. States are weird and odd, but if you are a resident of Florida then yeah just do it through there, that's where I am (and what the OP is written toward) so just use that. The USA doesn't care where the vehicle comes from, one from Japan follows the same rules as from Russia as from China from Australia.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Snowy posted:

gotta have that spare shovel ready

That's the key to wind up the big rubber band. :dadjoke:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHpTolmXO8oERL4.htm

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If anyone sees a good low mileage Beat, Sera, Soarer, TT Fairlady, or similar next 2 weeks message me. Has to be manual. Would like to get something else on the way but I’m at the beach next 2 weeks don’t have much time during day to check auctions.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

OK, time to actually get serious about this!

What do you guys know about the L400 type Delicas? There's a '95 turbo diesel Charmonix (:krad:) for sale near me, might be able to talk them down to AU$6k based on an almost identical one for sale in the north part of the state. Is an auto unfortunately, manuals seem to be rare as hen's teeth. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sorell/cars-vans-utes/for-sale-delica-chamonmix-1995/1196526212

Would mostly be using it for weekend trips (I usually take either my bicycle or KLR to work), and hopefully a big lap of the country before shipping it to the US in 2020.

The lights aspect is worth looking into. I feel I paid a great deal for the LHD L300 lights I needed to pass British Columbia inspections. The local Delica importers have probably cornered the market. Not to say that the lights can't be found, but I bet you'll pay for them.

Edit:

Accordingly as much as I'd like to get a Beat and some other weird cars that were never released in NA, I'm a bit uncomfortable doing so unless I am comfortable knowing that there are LHD lights available and I can pass British Columbia inspections.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 2, 2018

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Oh god I bought a thing

Check out dem sweet seat covers.

1992 Subaru Sambar Van, probably paid too much for it but I'm pretty excited! Read the OP but I'm worried about what to do once it hits state side. Do I need an import broker? I have a friend who works at a logistics company and is going to arrange transport from Tacoma to Denver. I'm looking forward to buzzing around town in this but I feel pretty confident I could sell it quick considering Subaru's are the state car of Colorado.

I already had a buddy of mine offer to buy it if I can't get it registered. He intends to use it as a golf cart on his local course :smuggo:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

johnnyonetime posted:

I already had a buddy of mine offer to buy it if I can't get it registered. He intends to use it as a golf cart on his local course :smuggo:

Tell your buddy he needs a kei deck van if he wants to use it as a golf cart:

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Riller posted:

Oh that's perfect. I'm kinda surprised a market hasn't opened up for stuff like this on golf courses. Especially in the south during summer when the heat is oppresive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

johnnyonetime posted:

Oh god I bought a thing

1992 Subaru Sambar Van, probably paid too much for it but I'm pretty excited! Read the OP but I'm worried about what to do once it hits state side. Do I need an import broker? I have a friend who works at a logistics company and is going to arrange transport from Tacoma to Denver. I'm looking forward to buzzing around town in this but I feel pretty confident I could sell it quick considering Subaru's are the state car of Colorado.

I'd seriously suggest an import broker. Transport is a separate thing, but the money you pay to have the broker do all the paperwork is worth it.

Sambar looks rad too, and while you don't have to I would be curious as to how much you paid. If it's under 2k USD you should still be free and clear to make a decent profit.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I'd seriously suggest an import broker. Transport is a separate thing, but the money you pay to have the broker do all the paperwork is worth it.

Sambar looks rad too, and while you don't have to I would be curious as to how much you paid. If it's under 2k USD you should still be free and clear to make a decent profit.

Awesome, that is great advice. I just spoke to an import broker and they are getting me a Customs Power of Attorney form emailed to start that process.

I don't mind sharing what I paid. It was just under $1000, apparently a good price since it came from a smaller auction house. I got the notification I won the auction at 10:30 MST last night.

I plan on enjoying the vehicle for awhile but I'll have a dollar amount in mind if someone really wants to take it off my hands. It will definitely stand out from the sea of Foresters, Imprezas and Outbacks.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Make sure you file the forms when you get notice from the boat and send them their $8 money order

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Riller posted:

Oh, look, another thing I didn’t know I needed, but apparently do now.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

johnnyonetime posted:

1992 Subaru Sambar Van, probably paid too much for it but I'm pretty excited! Read the OP but I'm worried about what to do once it hits state side. Do I need an import broker?

Sweet van and seat covers! I'm oddly delighted by the dipping glass back windows.

KakerMix posted:

+1 Especially if you don't know what you're doing, they make the process much easier. The trouble is that any little problem is a disproportionately huge pain in the neck, and can run much more $ than the broker would cost. There's no need to risk it unless you're already an expert.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

Electric Pigeon posted:

Sweet van and seat covers! I'm oddly delighted by the dipping glass back windows.

+1 Especially if you don't know what you're doing, they make the process much easier. The trouble is that any little problem is a disproportionately huge pain in the neck, and can run much more $ than the broker would cost. There's no need to risk it unless you're already an expert.

Thirding this. My broker cost like $350 with all the fees/bonds/taxes and in return I did absolutely nothing but fill out a few forms where they told me to and waited for them to email me that the van was at port and released by customs and the steamship company.

Love the Sambar! My girlfriend saw an Acty parked up somewhere a few months ago and has made it very clear that if I import something else it needs to be a kei van.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

johnnyonetime posted:

Oh god I bought a thing

Nice, and please keep the thread updated! Interested to see how registering in CO goes since I'm aiming to do same in the future :)

johnnyonetime posted:

Oh that's perfect. I'm kinda surprised a market hasn't opened up for stuff like this on golf courses. Especially in the south during summer when the heat is oppresive.

They've been selling kei trucks/vans (mostly the trucks) as offroad vehicles for ranches, etc for a while now, but it's a pretty small market.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my sambar is on the way to texas now. Can anyone recommend me a customs broker to help with getting it out of the port and to my home? 1st time doing this, going in totally blind

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

my sambar is on the way to texas now. Can anyone recommend me a customs broker to help with getting it out of the port and to my home? 1st time doing this, going in totally blind

Sent you a PM

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Riller posted:

I've been looking at '90s compact trucks for a while to handle runs to the dump and other things I'd rather not be throwing in the back of my Fiesta, but now that I know sliding doors and a pickup bed can be had on the same vehicle I'm very interested.

Do any other manufacturers offer this body style or is it just the HiJet/Atrai? Seems there aren't very many of these out there compared to the full van and flatbed variants, I've only found a few looking at the auction sites and most are new enough that they're not going to be US legal for a while, at least not for full road use.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Good older deckvans are incredibly rare. Your best bet is to buy off a dealer lot.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

super clean jimny

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-n1aZbBYuPJmhcFS.htm

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HELLO SCOTT

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hell yeah that looks great, a minor lift (looks like?) but they left the OG bumpers and seats. If I had the money right now I would be bidding on that, expect to pay 2500~ or so USD at auction for it, if any of you guys are looking at it. Could go lower too. I don't know what the 'SCOTT' package is, but it's a trim level thing like WILD WIND or SUMMER WIND. All are black with yellow details, most I've seen have also been automatics too. Just noticed the seats say 'SCOTT' on them too, awesome.

The 14 TE37s are just too big for the autozam. Rubs up front, rubs in back, spacers made it jiggle at speed. No bueno. Took the ratty silver 13s that were on it originally, had them blasted and powdercoated white, put some new tires on it, and now I don't cringe when approaching dips in the road. Seems like 'make your wheels white' works 100% of the time.
The powder coating was 100 bucks a wheel and they can do all sorts of colors and even light metallic flakes. When I get that Rugger in I'm going to be seriously tempted to get them to powder those wheels in gold/bronze since it's going to need new tires when it gets here anyway.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 4, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a good resource for Jimny info? I’ve been googling but if there’s good sites I’m missing them.

Also sweet Mitsubishi keep plus trailer, auction just ended, kinda wonder how much it went for. Pretty awesome combo.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-lHox7QdE1Eu8pW3.htm

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah that looks great, a minor lift (looks like?) but they left the OG bumpers and seats. If I had the money right now I would be bidding on that, expect to pay 2500~ or so USD at auction for it, if any of you guys are looking at it. Could go lower too. I don't know what the 'SCOTT' package is, but it's a trim level thing like WILD WIND or SUMMER WIND. All are black with yellow details, most I've seen have also been automatics too. Just noticed the seats say 'SCOTT' on them too, awesome.

I am bidding 2500

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

I am bidding 2500

You got an inspection on it yeah? I just noticed it has C3 in the rear wheel wells and if you look you can see some sort of imperfections on the fender edge back there. Now that I see that I personally wouldn't be bidding, that rust is tooo much for me. I'd ask the inspector to check the rust areas in more detail to get a good idea of just how bad it could be. I get real ancy about that stuff, if there is rust there then where else could be it, you know?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You got an inspection on it yeah? I just noticed it has C3 in the rear wheel wells and if you look you can see some sort of imperfections on the fender edge back there. Now that I see that I personally wouldn't be bidding, that rust is tooo much for me. I'd ask the inspector to check the rust areas in more detail to get a good idea of just how bad it could be. I get real ancy about that stuff, if there is rust there then where else could be it, you know?

No inspector yet, just put in a bid.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Pretty sure it’s a reference to:

https://www.scott-sports.com/

Their logo used to look like that. Beyond that, no idea. Probably came with a pair of glasses.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.

wargames posted:

No inspector yet, just put in a bid.

you know they'll inspect the car before you bid on it right

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

you know they'll inspect the car before you bid on it right

they will if they have enough time, the az1 i bid on there wasn't enough time to send out an inspector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I saw a fair number of those double cab pickup keis in a Hokkaido fishing village, I guess because the cargo they need to carry would stink out the inside of a van body one.

Suzuki do a Carry with an extended cab (like a king cab style) too.