Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

EdibleBodyParts posted:

In World of Warcraft, there is a quest to get 200 enemy bullets. The quest giver says, “I’m sure they’d be willing to give them to you one at a time, but finding crates would be faster.” Every time you get shot by the enemies, you do indeed get one more bullet toward the quest count.

I don't remember this quest. Care to be more specific? Quest giver name?

Hell, even a zone or expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Necrothatcher posted:

I love the spectrograph minigame in Spider-Man and wish there was more of them (and that there were more difficult puzzles). Not sure what's do compelling about it, but I couldn't get enough of it.

I do also like how the game lets you skip the puzzles with no downside (you still get the xp)

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't remember this quest. Care to be more specific? Quest giver name?

Hell, even a zone or expansion

I figured no one would really care about that much detail, but They Build a Better Bullet from Mountain-Lord Rendan in Searing Gorge, added in Cataclysm. One of the rewards is a K'Vlar Vest.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Skyrim does that too with arrows. Enemy shoots you with an arrow? That's your arrow now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you defend an arrow with your shield in Asscreed Origins you also get to keep it

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Playing The Bard's Tale Remastered and having the sound of your Bard's music change depending on what instrument they have equipped is a nice touch.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In FF14, when you first show up to Ishgard at the start of the Heavensward expansion there are these street urchins:

They would throw snowballs at you if you approach. But presumably after beating Heavensward...

They salute you!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I only just started playing Life is Strange 2 and I'm not done with episode 1 yet, but there's an interesting little thing the game does to differentiate itself from LiS1.

In LiS1 (as well as Before the Storm) there were 'sit points' that you never had to touch. If you did, Max (or Chloe) would just take a seat, and the camera would pan around to show the scenery as they thought about their current situation and what their options were. Regardless of how 'urgent' a particular scene was, you could always take as much time to sit as you needed.

In LiS2, you're playing as Sean Diaz, 16 year-old brother to the nine(?) year-old Daniel Diaz.
So when Sean goes down to take a seat, he starts narrating his inner monologue as the camera pans, as you're used to... and then Daniel will tackle him or hug him or bring something up or otherwise interrupt him, stopping the monologue. After a moment he might quietly sit beside you too, or he might bring up something that you immediately need to deal with.

It's a neat way to highlight the difference in protagonists between games - Max had all the time she needed (literally thanks to time powers), but Sean has other responsibilities that demand his attention.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I started reading LP of King of Dragon Pass, which through a couple of mental leaps had me want to play Patapon 2 again, and there are a few neat things in that game.

1) Bosses drop materials when staggered or when they die, so the best way of getting materials isn't by beating the bosses quickly, its to turn your little eyeball dudes into the class with the highest stagger rate in the game. This class is like the third one available to you, so its easy to get rolling. Plus once you've gotten the hang of it you can pretty much stagger lock bosses, and get enough items in a single run to potentially lock the game.

2) One of the early bosses requires you use a specific juju, a thing that has an effect on the battle for a limited time, in order to even harm it. This boss seems to have less health than other bosses up to that point as compensation.

3) Your little eyeball guys will make a remark about whatever song you used last while carrying out their orders, things like declaring an advance or excitedly shouting "To Earthend! To Earthend!" when you command them to move forwards, or complaining that they want to be on the offensive when defending. If you give an attack command when there's no enemies in range they'll ask you what you're talking about since there's nothing there, or just flatly tell you there's nothing to attack. The debuff cleansing song is called the party song, and all your eyeballs dance and sing whenever you play it, which feels nice, especially when you do it to stop half your army from running around on fire.

E:something from 3 that's nice, Treants are enemies in that game, and they are durable bastards who have health regen, but don't attack very hard. Set them on fire and they suddenly become much more dangerous, but their health regen becomes negative because they are burning down.

Ashsaber has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Oct 1, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Stealth Challenges in Spider Man really show off in a good way how much free-form and mobile Spider Man is than Batman and those games. They're actually good challenges as opposed to many of the others who are way too random

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The Stealth Challenges in Spider Man really show off in a good way how much free-form and mobile Spider Man is than Batman and those games. They're actually good challenges as opposed to many of the others who are way too random

Most of the other challenges are too hard. Even when I took no damage, and maintained a combo for the entire time of a combat challenge, I didn't get a gold rating. If Insomniac was going to make the challenges this hard, they probably should have included a leaderboard for them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Most of the other challenges are too hard. Even when I took no damage, and maintained a combo for the entire time of a combat challenge, I didn't get a gold rating. If Insomniac was going to make the challenges this hard, they probably should have included a leaderboard for them.

A few of the Drone challenges are unnecessarily tight. You can make a perfect run and still wind up just a few hundred points short. With a score of 39,500+/40,000.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CzarChasm posted:

Skyrim does that too with arrows. Enemy shoots you with an arrow? That's your arrow now.

Even better in VR with motion controls- if an enemy shoots an arrow at you and you block it with your shield, the arrow gets stuck there and you can turn the shield around and pull it out with your other hand to collect it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, you're left with figuring out what to do based on how the score breaks down. You can actually take a bit of damage when getting Gold in a combat challenge because time is much much more important. Enemies have to be taken down with maximum speed and efficiency.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The non-combat challenges were not designed with mortal capabilities in mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bewilderment posted:

I only just started playing Life is Strange 2 and I'm not done with episode 1 yet, but there's an interesting little thing the game does to differentiate itself from LiS1.

In LiS1 (as well as Before the Storm) there were 'sit points' that you never had to touch. If you did, Max (or Chloe) would just take a seat, and the camera would pan around to show the scenery as they thought about their current situation and what their options were. Regardless of how 'urgent' a particular scene was, you could always take as much time to sit as you needed.

In LiS2, you're playing as Sean Diaz, 16 year-old brother to the nine(?) year-old Daniel Diaz.
So when Sean goes down to take a seat, he starts narrating his inner monologue as the camera pans, as you're used to... and then Daniel will tackle him or hug him or bring something up or otherwise interrupt him, stopping the monologue. After a moment he might quietly sit beside you too, or he might bring up something that you immediately need to deal with.

It's a neat way to highlight the difference in protagonists between games - Max had all the time she needed (literally thanks to time powers), but Sean has other responsibilities that demand his attention.

LiS1/BtS: Centers around a pair of teenagers stuck in one place who would do anything to leave.
LiS2: Centers around a pair of brothers on the run who would do anything to be back home.

My favorite little detail in the first episode was when the racist convenience store owner's PC still had that Windows 95 screensaver. My wife and I were playing together and both said "of course" at that point.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that couldn’t get 3 stars on any of the drone or bomb challenges. Thought I was just getting older.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ubisoft knows when you give a big statue a penis, you have to acknowledge it:
:nws: https://clips.twitch.tv/FitDaintyShingleRaccAttack

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
There's no way that isn't a response to the fuss about penises in discovery mode.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mierenneuker posted:

Ubisoft knows when you give a big statue a penis, you have to acknowledge it:
:nws: https://clips.twitch.tv/FitDaintyShingleRaccAttack

I expected a trophy to pop or some other kind of hat-tip from the game :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

I expected a trophy to pop or some other kind of hat-tip from the game :(

They already gave you more than the tip.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's not any part of gameplay in particular, but Anno 2205 is just really, really pretty. It's one of the few games with a day/night cycle where I like to set the game to night just because it all looks so pretty.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that couldn’t get 3 stars on any of the drone or bomb challenges. Thought I was just getting older.
Yeah, the bomb ones are loving insane because you have to be incredibly close to them to grab them and the drone ones basically require absolute perfection which is just crazy considering how random web movement is at times

I genuinely wonder with those if it's just best to skip the combo and fly directly to the end and try and get time bonuses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the bomb ones are loving insane because you have to be incredibly close to them to grab them and the drone ones basically require absolute perfection which is just crazy considering how random web movement is at times

I genuinely wonder with those if it's just best to skip the combo and fly directly to the end and try and get time bonuses

You can zip to the bombs instantly using web zip.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Each bomb is a Zip Point so you can zip right to it once you're in range if that helps.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Honestly it's not like you need 3-stars on all the challenges anyway - getting a single star counts as beating them, which is pretty easy to do, and even if you're a trophy hunter you can just get a bunch of 2-star ones and that should be enough for the trophies.

I got a few three-star ones, notably most of the combat ones and a couple of the others, but yeah it's not really something that needs to be worried about. I kind of like the challenge being there if you want to chase it, but completely unnecessary to do so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DQXI changes a few things but some things still stay the same sadly. One thing I've picked up on is that using Zoom- the teleport spell- no longer uses MP nor do you smash your face on the ceiling if you're not outside. I'm '42' hours in but only just now noticed that you don't lose MP on that anymore.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

DQXI changes a few things but some things still stay the same sadly. One thing I've picked up on is that using Zoom- the teleport spell- no longer uses MP nor do you smash your face on the ceiling if you're not outside. I'm '42' hours in but only just now noticed that you don't lose MP on that anymore.

There is nothing sad about dragon quest eleven.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I think Lonalulu was, personally. Also when I say sad I mean the shop UI still being kinda difficult and them not embracing modern gaming's 'costumes anytime you wanna' instead of needing to actually put them on. I think the Dragon Quest 8 outfit is pretty good still, I wish I could just put it on and wear it- apperance wise- whenever I wanted to but I can't because that would leave me with about 40 defense while most of my team is in the 92 to 132 range.

Edit: I like how Dragon Quest 11 is treating monsters now. I'm slow to actually notice things but sometimes monsters will be interacting with each other- but not really- on the overworld. Just walked by a Professaurus looking like it was giving a couple of monsters a lecture and standing around and looking at it. And another one looking at a Living Statue and doing the same.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Oct 3, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GelatinSkeleton posted:

The soundtrack is pretty sad

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Impactman in Megaman 11 is hilarious. His voice actor is hammy as hell and his boss fight is just him screaming, charging into walls, and transforming into massive impact drivers.

CRUMBLE, PUMMEL, TUMBLE~!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really appreciate that Yakuza 0 has enough of a sense of humour about its cabaret club minigame to let you recruit a cantakerous old lady as a hostess among all the pretty young girls. I appreciate even more that she's a genuinely good hostess and has a really good stat spread that will get you out of a tight spot many, many times. Imagine all those super-rich businessmen coming in expecting an amiable young lady, getting presented with this purple-haired old battleaxe, and ending up having the time of their life with her.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's a hostess in Yak2Kiwam whose bio states that she can't speak Japanese.

Her Talk stat is (at the point of the game I'm at) the lowest in the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really appreciate that Yakuza 0 has enough of a sense of humour about its cabaret club minigame to let you recruit a cantakerous old lady as a hostess among all the pretty young girls. I appreciate even more that she's a genuinely good hostess and has a really good stat spread that will get you out of a tight spot many, many times. Imagine all those super-rich businessmen coming in expecting an amiable young lady, getting presented with this purple-haired old battleaxe, and ending up having the time of their life with her.

iirc her strength is almost entirely in her Conversation stat, because she might not be much of a looker these days but there is nothing that passes an evening quite like a bawdy old lady with a few drinks in her

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

She starts with a high Talk and nothing else, but her Party stat goes way the gently caress up as she gains levels, too. Talk/Party + Funny seem to be combinations that gets requested frequently, and more often than not she's the one in the lineup that fits the bill best. Better than the platinum girls in many cases, judging by the guests' emotes.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Oct 3, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

She was my second best earner behind Yuki by the time I was done with that mini-game. I wish we could play dress up with her like the platinum hostesses.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

She was my second best earner behind Yuki by the time I was done with that mini-game. I wish we could play dress up with her like the platinum hostesses.

I started nodding along to this and now I need to go rethink my life

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If you havent already, y'all caberet club loving motherfuckers need to play Yakuza Kiwami 2. Shes still around, still cantankerous, still bawdy, and still wanting to play hostess to pass the time. Her funny/talk/party combo is still valuable as all gently caress

I would play the gently caress out of a mobile game that was just the cabaret club management minigame from Yakuza zero/kiwami 2.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I was not expecting Yuri Lowthernal to give a voice performance stuffed so full of rage, sadness and compassion in a game where you run around wearing spandex. He really goes all in with his performance during Spodwrman's final boss battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yuri Lowenthal is also pushing 50 and he can voice a 23-year old.