Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The real solution is to kill him faster, I pretty much aim to delete walz immediately on all maps because that loving machine gun on his tank fires when he’s moving and deletes everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i keep telling myself that this time i'm going to play this mission like a wargame but ugh there's only a sniper in that one base all across the map and i've got an apc right here and i cant stop myself please send help

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

i keep telling myself that this time i'm going to play this mission like a wargame but ugh there's only a sniper in that one base all across the map and i've got an apc right here and i cant stop myself please send help

Eventually they start putting tanks and turrets in the bases and making bosses and reinforcements show up when you capture them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nanomashoes posted:

Eventually they start putting tanks and turrets in the bases and making bosses and reinforcements show up when you capture them.

Well that just means you put grenadiers and Lancers inside. This is also the secret to walz. Dan gets the grenades close enough to nail the radiator and claude body blocks the mg for them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Overall I have found it a lot easier to get A rankings on missions without having to go for cheesy strategies. I am also a big fan of the map diversity as it has made me change up my squad composition (beyond just bringing in different units to unlock their unique potentials).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nanomashoes posted:

Welp, looks like Jean is getting more rides in the APC (and for the love of God woman, stop getting that Sloppy Debuff and drop all your goddamn ammo, I don’t like any of the other lancers but Jesus)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

MechaX posted:

Welp, looks like Jean is getting more rides in the APC (and for the love of God woman, stop getting that Sloppy Debuff and drop all your goddamn ammo, I don’t like any of the other lancers but Jesus)

Look at this monster that doesn't love Jimmy Death Flags.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
You're both wrong it's all about the Battle Mom.

All single mothers should be issued anti tank weapons as a matter of course.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My only complaint with the APC is that you can't tell everyone to get out with a single action point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

For all the hate the Lancers get as a class mechanically, the only bad one is the boring friend of curtis who was so devoid of character I don't even remember his name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that trio isn't worth using since it requires a lancer to hang out with a scout

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
is there a way to get the game to not auto equip whatever weapon you last developed in R&D? It keeps switching my loadouts and it's really annoying to have to go back to the command room to fix it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

One small question about R&D progression: Do I ever get equipment/ upgrades that A. Boost vehicles AP so they can travel farther and B. Does the APC ever get a capacity upgrade? Feels like 2 units is just a bit too tiny.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

InequalityGodzilla posted:

One small question about R&D progression: Do I ever get equipment/ upgrades that A. Boost vehicles AP so they can travel farther and B. Does the APC ever get a capacity upgrade? Feels like 2 units is just a bit too tiny.

Yes to both.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What is great is that there is an Ace Tank upgrade for the APC to boost its AP which is easy to get as it is in a mission where your tank will have very little to do for the last couple turns and can get into a great position to shoot at the radiator.

I do love the command system as not only does it make it so much easier to reposition slower units and make more effective use of your command slots, it also completely refreshes your AP. My favorite way to abuse it was to allow a commando to sneak up behind the boss squad infantry units and kill them both in three attacks.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Do I need to get people up to corporal to get their postwar blurb? I'm not really looking forward to shuffling a bunch of lancers and mortars around to get them up, but I need to know what happens to them, dammit.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
God, I hate Raz. It's not just that he's a bullying, misogynist prick, but the way Claude/Kai make excuses for him and no, no, we need your strength because you are valuable to our team despite being a creep that literally almost gets us killed for stupid reasons and he once put Claude in the hospital for TWO WEEKS? WTF.

Anyway I'm someone who liked VC1 and missed the next two and this is pretty fun so far. The Woman in the Iron Mask just mowed down an entire squad of reinforcements by herself.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

What is great is that there is an Ace Tank upgrade for the APC to boost its AP which is easy to get as it is in a mission where your tank will have very little to do for the last couple turns and can get into a great position to shoot at the radiator.

I do love the command system as not only does it make it so much easier to reposition slower units and make more effective use of your command slots, it also completely refreshes your AP. My favorite way to abuse it was to allow a commando to sneak up behind the boss squad infantry units and kill them both in three attacks.

Actually that brings up another question about the command system. I got how it works for the APC but how exactly does it function for infantry? Do they have to be the same class, do I use it from the command screen rather than on the field, etc?

I’d also ask about last stands but to be honest I’m really careful about keeping my units from ever getting dropped.

ultrachrist posted:

God, I hate Raz. It's not just that he's a bullying, misogynist prick, but the way Claude/Kai make excuses for him and no, no, we need your strength because you are valuable to our team despite being a creep that literally almost gets us killed for stupid reasons and he once put Claude in the hospital for TWO WEEKS? WTF.

I’d be willing to excuse the misogyny and the hospitalization because it seems like absolutely nobody tolerated the former and he seems to have grown past the second and it seemed to have knocked Claude out of a deep funk that he was in. The constant “we need your strength” stuff I kind of interpreted as those two basically talking him up because that’s really all he has and if they started making GBS threads on him he’d probably lose all motivation. That said all the times he nearly gets people killed because of his ego is almost insufferable. If t sounds like I’m defending him, I’m not, he’s probably my least favorite character in the game so far, but he does at least seem to have a little going for him character wise.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 2, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Actually that brings up another question about the command system. I got how it works for the APC but how exactly does it function for infantry? Do they have to be the same class, do I use it from the command screen rather than on the field, etc?

I’d also ask about last stands but to be honest I’m really careful about keeping my units from ever getting dropped.

With infantry you activate it from the command screen and can grab two units of any class.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

You get it pretty soon, to memory.

Unrelated spoiler; I never really used the APC when a gatling tank was availble. Not that I used it to often either, but being able to park Glory in the center of the map and burst down a bunch of enemy CPs as they run by was better then just shuffling a bit down the map. Especially given Minerva is around.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

^^^^
I’ve been spoiled that you get a second tank already, so is it a dedicated Gatling tank, or does it have multiple equipable weapons? I seem to remember the Shamrock from the first game being able to equip different stuff but I’ll admit it’s been nearly a decade since I played the first game.

Hunt11 posted:

With infantry you activate it from the command screen and can grab two units of any class.

I’m assuming they have to be near each other? And actually come to think of it I’m not super sure what it does. I’ll admit I was pretty drunk when the tutorial came up but from what I understand it basically leads to two units following the leader as they move about and presumably providing co-op fire once the main unit attacks?

Also, I’m remembering that orders were super useful in the first game (never played 2 or 3) but i don’t think I’ve used a single one in 4 so far. Should I be getting on that?

Man, looking back at these last few posts I should probably re-read the tutorials since I’m probably missing out on a fair bit of gameplay depth.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You do have to grab people but it is quite easy to just pick them up as you move forward. As you can imagine this makes command scouts amazing in their ability to get units into position.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orders are super useful for boss killing. also, when you absolutely need a lancer to kill a tank and it isn't close enough to touch, accuracy boost is better than risking multiple missed shots.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It’s like the Shamrock. I never used it though cuz gotta go fast and put everybody in the APC.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, for direct command minerva even has a potential that specifically only works while using it. there's very little reason to use direct command with anyone except her.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

certain orders are actually great, some are eh

the defend order has obvious applications and it only costs one CP, so it's good to go ham with. Demolition boost replaces lancers by just letting shock troopers one burst radiators of any kind, though it does cost two cp but that isn't really a big deal.

All other orders are just kinda eh. Though there is a resupply order which in theory could be great, but it's both in the back 2/3 of the story and outside of your local sniper's grand adventure in a tower you'll probably be okay.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kai got retaliated by a sniper that almost killed her, let me get my engineer up there to pa-

*Potential activated: Conservationist, unable to use ragnaid*

You fokin wot Teresa? The ONE loving use I was able to find out of an engineer and YOU WONT DO IT?!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

LuiCypher posted:

I wish that also happened when I took down Minerva like a chump on Turn 2 during the Bacon-Bread Battle, given how much time the game invested into making her and her subordinates seem like tactical geniuses with their poorly-executed tank rush. That being said, winning on Turn 3 still gave me an A rank, so I'll take it.

Just got to this part too. Minerva tried to waltz through Raz and Viola with her entire Scout posse like a badass, immediately gets mowed down by grenade and machine gun fire the next turn.

And a literal drunk just joined the squad

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

MechaX posted:

Just got to this part too. Minerva tried to waltz through Raz and Viola with her entire Scout posse like a badass, immediately gets mowed down by grenade and machine gun fire the next turn.

And a literal drunk just joined the squad

I am glad to hear that you have been blessed by The Best Shocktrooper. Use her power wisely.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

I am glad to hear that you have been blessed by The Best Shocktrooper. Use her power wisely.

i'm sorry no unit that can potentially end its turn randomly can be good, even if that might go away

now lily on the other hand

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:psyduck: Ok game, what do you want from me? Would killing the 2 scouts who dodge 99% of every attack, including explosives, end this map early enough for you to get me an A rank? You can't throw a defense mission at me and penalize me for time!

You must not simply outlast the siege

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 3, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
to kill enemies that dodge too much, either hit them from behind or use explosives. surprise attacks are very important, which is why fleuret is the worst shocktrooper by far.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

If they're the two scouts I'm thinking of?

Hit them with your tank until they get up facing the wrong way.

They die real good.

(I did only get a B, though. I thought it was because I let a couple bombs sneak through.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But they always lay on the floor when I use explosives on them, from mortars to grenades to tank mortars. I don't know HOW this lets them dodge shrapnel and ragnite fire but they DO.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AFashionableHat posted:

If they're the two scouts I'm thinking of?

Hit them with your tank until they get up facing the wrong way.

They die real good.

(I did only get a B, though. I thought it was because I let a couple bombs sneak through.)

This is what I did actually, for some reason one of the 2 just decided they didn't want to move (actually, they both decided they didn't want to move until I get to the part where they complain about the Hafen and start using the demolition order). So I just kept running her over to push her away from the rest of my troops, then backing the hafen back up. Annoyingly it is where I learned they don't get flung by mortar interception fire nor do they get the speed debuff.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You just need to kill the bombs quickly; I did it the first turn they spawned. Basically you want to secure the bottom right camp and then get snipers up on the high ground closest to your base and also on the right side upper ground.

After that they can shoot all the bombs, use resupply orders / potentials / engies to keep them stocked with ammo. In my playthrough they rushed the right side and shot up Minerva a bit then triggered their must-kill hafen stuff and ran off without trying to kill anybody else, so I just bodyblocked the north entrance to the base at a space a bit north so they couldn't randomly run through and murder my randoms in the back.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In that mission they always run straight at my tank and I just sneak around back and shoot them in the head with an order boosted shock trooper.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

that mission was also the mission i realized the 3 shot sniper, while great, has a lot less range then the other ones

which isn't usually a problem

except in that mission

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This game must be perfect for the Vita Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

This game must be perfect for the Vita Switch.

Mostly. The joycons kinda suck for aiming though between aim snapping and using the d-pad it's not too bad, and there's some maps that REALLY chug (the top right corner of the Dan/Aulard/Miles squad story holy poo poo) but it's fine otherwise.