Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

along with the pay raise they’re also taking away stock grants and replacing them with a stock purchase program

quote:

In another change, Amazon will phase out its Restricted Stock Unit program for order fulfillment and customer service employees who are paid hourly. Those workers currently receive shares of stock if they meet certain conditions. But the company says the employees have said "they prefer the predictability and immediacy of cash to RSUs."

For those hourly workers, Amazon plans to replace its RSU grant program with a direct stock purchase plan by the end of 2019. The net effect, the company says, will mean "significantly more total compensation" for the workers.

At the new pay rate, an Amazon employee who makes the new minimum wage would need to work more than three weeks (133 hours) to buy one share of the company's stock, which currently sits above $2,000. And that's before taxes and other expenses are taken into account.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

keyboard vomit posted:

Watch them make this $15 minimum be a boost for "legacy employees" and all new workers get started at federal minimums a year or so from now

it also includes all the whole foods employees

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

getting lovely rear end people to do what you want for their own terrible reasons is called politics

and do you really want to hate bezos so much as to oppose a raise in the federal minimum wage just because he supports it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
no but i'm gonna push back against this framing that the benevolent bezos givith when organizing those workers could get more

https://twitter.com/ceodonovan/status/1047161415390220288

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FCKGW posted:

along with the pay raise they’re also taking away stock grants and replacing them with a stock purchase program

I'm sure the hourly workers were getting massive amounts of rsus and it wasn't all getting eaten by taxes and brokerage fees

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

yeah but their stock grants program was something like needing to stay in the warehouses for 3 years before you got any stock grant you could actually sell, and even then it was like, 1 share or two shares

and part time/contractor/temp employment didn't count towards getting things vested.

basically no one could use it but since it was there it was used as an excuse to not pay real money

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fishmech posted:

joff p`zone

mods???

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
jeff pozzos

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
do they still make the pizzone?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no but i'm gonna push back against this framing that the benevolent bezos givith when organizing those workers could get more

https://twitter.com/ceodonovan/status/1047161415390220288

whos saying benevolent, not me. im just not interested in what could be. more money for workers = better. bezos could do lots of bad stuff too and when that happens i'll call it bad. in the meantime the workers are getting more money

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

more money for workers but also unionize them and tax bezos at 98%

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

do they still make the pizzone?

they only sell it in canada now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

whos saying benevolent, not me. im just not interested in what could be. more money for workers = better. bezos could do lots of bad stuff too and when that happens i'll call it bad. in the meantime the workers are getting more money

no one's opposing the raise dumdum

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the ultimate move of lee sending his fail son to negotiate with dr dre and jimmy iovine
that might my favorite story in the annals of tech bubbel

monster was the ruthless terror of the tech industry, but they were effortlessly filleted, boned, and devoured when they brushed up against the real sharks of the entertainment industry

dre and jimmy sized up the failson in an eyeblink (inexperienced, desperate to make a deal to prove himself to dad, and easily starstruck by celebrities and pretty girls) and just absolutely took him to the cleaners

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no one's opposing the raise dumdum

sorry i didnt get enough sleep and i am pretty dumb today

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

yeah but their stock grants program was something like needing to stay in the warehouses for 3 years before you got any stock grant you could actually sell, and even then it was like, 1 share or two shares

espp for them would also be pretty screwed up. i don't know amazon's espp program but at apple it's 6 month periods, capped at 10% of salary, 15% off the lower of the two end-point prices. someone working 30hr weeks at $15/hr would be putting in a max of $1170. amzn has gone from $1370 to $2000 over the last six months, and 85% of $1370 is $1164, so if the program had exactly those endpoints and someone was already making $15/hr and maxing out their contributions the entire time, they'd just barely be able to afford a single share. but going forward, to get to 85% of $2000 at 10% of $15/hr you have to be working 42 hour weeks. to afford even a single share of stack with this plan you'd have to roll forward contributions for an entire year, and even that wouldn't be good enough if you were only working 20hr weeks

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
you'd also have to tie 10% of your salary into the program which is probably going to be difficult if you're living off of 15/hr

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
instead of an employee stock purchase program they should have an employees get jeff bezos's stock for free plan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the only bezos stock i'm interested in is the fragrant water you get from boiling him alive

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

joke greenpos

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

GenJoe posted:

you'd also have to tie 10% of your salary into the program which is probably going to be difficult if you're living off of 15/hr

yeah that's also true. espp can be a really good deal if you can afford to chip in, especially if you can hold for a year to get the preferred tax treatment, but both of those are pretty unlikely for hourly workers

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the only bezos stock i'm interested in is the fragrant water you get from boiling him alive

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'd be okay with these jeff bezos stocks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Endless Mike posted:

was hoping for an amazon link

best I could find was https://www.amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Prisoner-Punishment-Stretched/dp/B07H1DK7HF which is a nice amazonic listing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Endless Mike posted:

yo, can i get those prime? my bezos keeps bezosing into things. busted up my toilet pretty bad.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Soricidus posted:

was hoping for an amazon link

best I could find was https://www.amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Prisoner-Punishment-Stretched/dp/B07H1DK7HF which is a nice amazonic listing

high quality stuff there home comforts

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
35 bucks for that thing drat

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
35 bucks for a small wall print of a stocks

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
so is this a bubble yet, is it gonna go ahead and collapse so i can buy a house and stop living in places w holes in the roof

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
once it collapses well all be living in places w holes in the roof

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

shovelbum posted:

so is this a bubble yet, is it gonna go ahead and collapse so i can buy a house and stop living in places w holes in the roof

when the housing bubble pops all cheap houses are getting bought up by investors to rent out, sorry

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

FCKGW posted:

when the housing bubble pops all cheap houses are getting bought up by investors to rent out, sorry

:capitalism:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also amazon is obviously doin this as a union busting method

this shows how effective unions are since you can get some of the benefits simply by having execs think about them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

shovelbum posted:

you can buy cheap real estate in loads of places nobody wants to live. prices where people want to live will always be expensive.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

this shows how effective unions are since you can get some of the benefits simply by having execs think about them
As much as Bezos hates his workers, he would probably literally rather pay them $100/hr than have to ask a union for permission to do stuff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mystes posted:

As much as Bezos hates his workers, he would probably literally rather pay them $100/hr than have to ask a union for permission to do stuff.

yeah but there are a bunch of worse things he's willing to try first

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

yeah iirc even after the last pop, people that were willing to sell at a lower price were flooded with offers from all kinds of people because suddenly they could afford it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i think it was in this thread we made fun of natural cycles the smartphone app + thermometer contraceptive that obviously didn't work at all. well it got fda approval this month so everyone keep an eye out for the scootenfruity over the coming quarters. apparently it's the only method of birth control beyond abstinence they're allowed to mention in title x clinics. unbelievable.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-unlikely-politics-of-a-digital-contraceptive

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

they awesome graft was all the investors would meet outside the courthouse before the auction and divvy up the foreclosures so they wouldn't bid against each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i think it was in this thread we made fun of natural cycles the smartphone app + thermometer contraceptive that obviously didn't work at all. well it got fda approval this month so everyone keep an eye out for the scootenfruity over the coming quarters. apparently it's the only method of birth control beyond abstinence they're allowed to mention in title x clinics. unbelievable.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-unlikely-politics-of-a-digital-contraceptive

well we've gotta do somethin they're not makin white babbies anymore!!!1