Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

If you're unhappy with the product they sold you, take it to the store and demand a fix. You paid a bunch of money for a flagship product so it's not unreasonable to want a perfect copy.

Yeah this thing costs as much as some used cars. I'd keep going back until I was satisfied I got what I paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh no doubt. I know it's within my right, I was just curious if people were being met with "Well, I don't know... blah blah, ok"
or
"Yes, absolutely, this is something we will immediately replace for you."

I may get around to it. It's not THAT big of a deal, but I mean, I do see it a good bit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If it's within the return window you can take it back for whatever reason you want, it doesn't matter what they say.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FCKGW posted:

If it's within the return window you can take it back for whatever reason you want, it doesn't matter what they say.

Also true. I just don't know if I want to do the first weeks shuffle what with some of the other issues folks are complaining about. Just wanted to know if I could take it in in a couple months for the issue if I decide to. It was kind of a dumb question, I had just woken up. Sorry. ;)

In other news, I went to my Wife's old phone (I posted last night about her Photos only going back about a month on her new phone instead of all the way back. I went to my wife's old phone and I see that the toggle for iPhoto backup in her iCloud settings is toggled off. I toggled it on.

What do I do now, just wait?

Do I need to force it to back up to the cloud?

If I do, do I have to actively force her new phone to restore from the backup, etc? If so will I lose any new photos she's done on her new phone, etc?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Feenix posted:

Also true. I just don't know if I want to do the first weeks shuffle what with some of the other issues folks are complaining about. Just wanted to know if I could take it in in a couple months for the issue if I decide to. It was kind of a dumb question, I had just woken up. Sorry. ;)

In other news, I went to my Wife's old phone (I posted last night about her Photos only going back about a month on her new phone instead of all the way back. I went to my wife's old phone and I see that the toggle for iPhoto backup in her iCloud settings is toggled off. I toggled it on.

What do I do now, just wait?

Do I need to force it to back up to the cloud?

If I do, do I have to actively force her new phone to restore from the backup, etc? If so will I lose any new photos she's done on her new phone, etc?

Did you turn on iCloud photos or did you turn on photos in her iCloud backup?

If it’s the first option you should connect the old phone to a charger and let it do its thing. Maybe open the photos app. There should be an “uploading” progress bar at the bottom of the app.

Then on the new phone do the same. It should download all the photos which might take a while.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bronin posted:

Did you turn on iCloud photos or did you turn on photos in her iCloud backup?

If it’s the first option you should connect the old phone to a charger and let it do its thing. Maybe open the photos app. There should be an “uploading” progress bar at the bottom of the app.

Then on the new phone do the same. It should download all the photos which might take a while.

I toggled "iCloud Photo LIbrary from off to on on her old phone. Yup I see the uploading on Photos app. Thanks.

I'll have her make sure it's on on her new phone and just let it slowly do its thing. :)

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Feenix posted:

I toggled "iCloud Photo LIbrary from off to on on her old phone. Yup I see the uploading on Photos app. Thanks.

I'll have her make sure it's on on her new phone and just let it slowly do its thing. :)

Glad it’s working :) you can also turn on an option to only download the most recent photos and cache everything from the cloud.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

It’s the “optimize storage” option which afaik is pretty aggressive in what it deletes from the phone and what it keeps locally. I only use “download and keep originals” since I got more than enough storage on my iPhone.

Oh and you said she already took some photos on the new phone. Those photos should upload automatically to iCloud as soon as she enables iCloud Photo Library on her new phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nice, nice!

Thanks!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

You guys put screen protectors on? Searching amazon just gives like 10 companies selling what I can only imagine is the exact same thing at randomly different prices. This is for the xs max, if it matters.

I've bought from like three different vendors* that had a lot of mostly-positive reviews on amazon and haven't noticed any real difference after the fucker was on. IIRC Spigen was the "nicest" brand I bought and it didn't come with extra stickers to help align the protector.

*all for older models, not current gen

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rio posted:

In that Unbox Therapy video that’s going around he showed that when he covered his eyes with his hand, making the facial recognition turn off, the effect would turn off. I’ve dealt with image stacking and never got results that somehow coincidentally looked like a beauty filter.
And if you read the article from folks who can do intelligent analysis of the camera's resulting output, they demonstrate it happening to non-human subjects. Anyone claiming that it's only happening with the front camera when it detects faces is full of poo poo.
To sum up, essentially, the XS' camera is more aggressive with shutter speed and ISO levels, so the resulting output is significantly noisier than the X's photos, likely because of how many photos Apple's pulling from to generate a single frame. Apple's attempting to curb that by being more aggressive with noise reduction across the board, both on the front and rear. Since the front camera's sensor is way, way smaller than the rear, the effects are more evident as it needs to do more to remove noise.
The benefit there is that Apple has been able to produce photos from both the front and rear cameras in much harsher light conditions and get a photo back that looks serviceable. The downside is that they've noticably changed the results you get, both with processed and raw photos.

Unbox Therapy's conclusion that it's applying a "beauty filter" because the color temperature of the photo changed when he covered up his face is weird and makes a bunch of assumptions. Yes, it's likely that Apple takes into account when it detects a face (a la the Note 9, P20, etc.), but it's been demonstrated by people who know what the hell they're talking about that it doesn't change its noise reduction process or selectively apply smoothing to faces.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 2, 2018

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

xzzy posted:

Holding up volume button and power button are much faster, it takes about a second and will require a PIN to unlock from that point.

Its either volume button and the power button (or all 3), you get the quick 3 vibrations knowing it worked. Easy to do in your pocket.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Does "hey siri, disable face ID" or some equivalent work?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

And if you read the article from folks who can do intelligent analysis of the camera's resulting output, they demonstrate it happening to non-human subjects.

no man but a youtuber who takes things out of packaging told me

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pivo posted:

no man but a youtuber who takes things out of packaging told me

Right?

To add onto why his conclusion is incredibly stupid: his "test" to see if there was a "beauty filter" being applied when it recognized a face was literally putting his hand over his face. Like, that's it. He didn't take a photo while his hand was covering his face and compare it to one where he wasn't, he obviously couldn't see what was on the screen while he was covering his face... He just saw the square show up around his face and decided "oh, it's only doing it when it detects a face!"

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Lou is kind of a hack.

I don't really care that he doesn't like Apple, but he's consistently skeevy. Remember when he said he was giving away a truck full of iphones, it got 10 MILLION views, then he was like "oops just kidding lol"

That dude takes clickbait to a new level and this is no different.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

pzy posted:

Does "hey siri, disable face ID" or some equivalent work?
Some people are claiming “hey Siri, whose phone is this?” will read off the contact info (if assigned) and turn off faceid or touchid.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It feels like the whole “gate” poo poo with every new iPhone is exacerbated by YouTubers wanting to be the first to have the scoop on some huge problem with the phones. Which leads to clickbait titles that blow the issue waaaaaay out of proportion.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

It feels like the whole “gate” poo poo with every new iPhone is exacerbated by YouTubers wanting to be the first to have the scoop on some huge problem with the phones. Which leads to clickbait titles that blow the issue waaaaaay out of proportion.

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735281634656669696

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

This is literally what it is. Idiots scrounging for issues because there is money to be made being the first to announce it.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I found a cool shortcut: select it on a youtube video in safari and it will download the file and put it in vlc! https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/36cad9d61e094035bff8d2d912185ab7

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

And if you read the article from folks who can do intelligent analysis of the camera's resulting output, they demonstrate it happening to non-human subjects. Anyone claiming that it's only happening with the front camera when it detects faces is full of poo poo.
To sum up, essentially, the XS' camera is more aggressive with shutter speed and ISO levels, so the resulting output is significantly noisier than the X's photos, likely because of how many photos Apple's pulling from to generate a single frame. Apple's attempting to curb that by being more aggressive with noise reduction across the board, both on the front and rear. Since the front camera's sensor is way, way smaller than the rear, the effects are more evident as it needs to do more to remove noise.
The benefit there is that Apple has been able to produce photos from both the front and rear cameras in much harsher light conditions and get a photo back that looks serviceable. The downside is that they've noticably changed the results you get, both with processed and raw photos.

Unbox Therapy's conclusion that it's applying a "beauty filter" because the color temperature of the photo changed when he covered up his face is weird and makes a bunch of assumptions. Yes, it's likely that Apple takes into account when it detects a face (a la the Note 9, P20, etc.), but it's been demonstrated by people who know what the hell they're talking about that it doesn't change its noise reduction process or selectively apply smoothing to faces.

I still don’t find it a compelling argument to show that they are not using it for skin smoothing or that they didn’t arrive at that result and say “oh well, people like beauty filters”. For reference the person who wrote the article probably doesn’t understand sensor size since they are calling the sensor the size of a pinky fingernail. That would be a much larger sensor and we are talking about around .2” long edge. I’m not discounting everything they are saying in the article but the article creator also mischaracterized raw in a reddit post. They make a camera app and know more than most but obviously this is not some ultimate authority when they are getting basic facts wrong so I am not going to let them spoon feed me every word in that article and take it without actually using my own experience to make a decision.

Now in terms of image stacking, you can test that right now and see that you will not get the results we see in the new iPhone (and of course still achieve lower noise which is one reason people stack images). I’ve dealt quite a bit with image stacking and on an extremely noisy image you might be able to intentionally create this look but the default would retain more detail. Hell, you can even get an app to do it, try it on an older phone and see more detail, one of them is called Cortex and will auto merge for you.

This in addition to the color balance being shifted quite simply make it look intentional. Whether they set out to do that from the start or if that is the result they got trying to lower noise and someone said “that’s fine, people will like it” I don’t know. But this is not the default look of an image stacked image. Also, using the amount of noise present in the article’s raw examples, that is incredibly heavy handed if they end up with what looks like a smoothed face with that amount of noise. I can’t prove apple’s intentions but at this point no one else has demonstrated that they can either.

But please do go stack some images in moderate light (to get a higher iso) - it is quite easy since the app will do it for you and combine something like 30 shots without you having to process them. You can see less noise for sure, and you can see a little loss of detail but you will not have a china doll face with Trump skin tone.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I scheduled a Genius appointment to get my iPhone SE fixed (cracked the screen a couple months ago) since they savagely killed off the phone. So instead of getting a new one I will just use this until the day it dies or becomes (more) obsolete.

There is dust behind the lens that must have gotten loose when I dropped it and now my photo/video quality is terrible. I see that they do have a full device swap for ~$259 which I am hoping they will go for over just the glass replacement since the chassis has some dings from being a naked phone the last few years. Anyone know if they will have a 64GB device to swap it with? I know they have only been offering 32GB SE's for the last while.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Your guess is as good as ours.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You can request the full swap and they will do it. As Jose said though, no idea about swap stock.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You might be better off just buying a used one someone had in a case. I just did that for the second time since last year. The first one really was like new, box and everything...that is until I cracked the screen and back glass, pitted the sides, and wore the battery into uselessness. No case krew what it dew

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What guts are in the SE again? iPhone 6?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

6S

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Depending on the carrier, you can usually score a 64gb for less than $200.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

FCKGW posted:

6S minus force touch

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Anyone else having CarPlay issues?

Specifically:

1. Spotify won’t show anything but a black screen on CarPlay, but is responsive and works fine on the phone.
2. NPR will not show anything on CarPlay nor will it play anything using the phone

Are these iOS12 bugs or bugs with the apps themselves or maybe my wireless CarPlay head unit?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

LPG Giant posted:

I found a cool shortcut: select it on a youtube video in safari and it will download the file and put it in vlc! https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/36cad9d61e094035bff8d2d912185ab7

Wow this loving owns

And I just bought the Softorino YouTube Downloader 🤦🏻‍♂️

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rio posted:

I still don’t find it a compelling argument to show that they are not using it for skin smoothing or that they didn’t arrive at that result and say “oh well, people like beauty filters”.
That's the entire argument, is it not?? Like, if the loss of detail is happening across all types of subjects on the front and rear facing camera, it's explicitly not a "beauty filter" or "skin smoothing."

quote:

For reference the person who wrote the article probably doesn’t understand sensor size since they are calling the sensor the size of a pinky fingernail. ... They make a camera app and know more than most but obviously this is not some ultimate authority when they are getting basic facts wrong so I am not going to let them spoon feed me every word in that article and take it without actually using my own experience to make a decision.
The "pinky fingernail" thing came off to me like it was just a clumsy way to say "it's small" rather than a literal descriptor of anything's size, but I've been known to reach dumb conclusions before.
I was also not attempting to claim that a blog post from a guy involved with Halide is some sort of unimpeachable truth, but it 100% has more behind it than Unbox Therapy's video which really shows... nothing, and concludes "it's selectively applying a beauty filter" without actually showing why he believes that's the case.

quote:

But please do go stack some images in moderate light (to get a higher iso) - it is quite easy since the app will do it for you and combine something like 30 shots without you having to process them. You can see less noise for sure, and you can see a little loss of detail but you will not have a china doll face with Trump skin tone.
Okay, but that doesn't actually tell me whether it's a beauty filter or whether it's aggressive smoothing across the board. Whether or not my face ends up smoother than it would've if I manually combined frames doesn't say anything about whether or not they're applying a beauty filter, it's whether or not everything ends up smoother.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 3, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

That's the entire argument, is it not?? Like, if the loss of detail is happening across all types of subjects on the front and rear facing camera, it's explicitly not a "beauty filter" or "skin smoothing."

The "pinky fingernail" thing came off to me like it was just a clumsy way to say "it's small" rather than a literal descriptor of anything's size, but I've been known to reach dumb conclusions before.
I was also not attempting to claim that a blog post from a guy involved with Halide is some sort of unimpeachable truth, but it 100% has more behind it than Unbox Therapy's video which really shows... nothing, and concludes "it's selectively applying a beauty filter" without actually showing why he believes that's the case.

Okay, but that doesn't actually tell me whether it's a beauty filter or whether it's aggressive smoothing across the board. Whether or not my face ends up smoother than it would've if I manually combined frames doesn't say anything about whether or not they're applying a beauty filter, it's whether or not everything ends up smoother.

I wish I had a new phone to test it because I am genuinely curious. Does the back camera adjust white balance and smooth faces to the same extent as the front camera? The excessive warm white balance in skin tones is certainly when it detects a face but is the smoothing more aggressive with the front camera? I know that the front camera would potentially have more noise as well but it would be interesting to compare how the back camera handles faces vs. the front camera when trying to figure out what’s going on. I don’t think the smoothing being across the whole frame would play into the investigation of their intent - people taking selfies aren’t looking at the background and I think Apple would realize that. I also don’t use those filters so I don’t know if other cameras will only smooth the face or if they smooth the entire screen when they choose to use a beauty filter.

One good test too would be use use Cortex to stack a selfie and see what happens with a new iPhone comparing it to the stock camera selfie. On the 8+ I can see a difference in processing but the stock camera doesn’t image stack so it isn’t a great comparison to compare with what is automatically being done to the image.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rio posted:

I wish I had a new phone to test it because I am genuinely curious. Does the back camera adjust white balance and smooth faces to the same extent as the front camera? The excessive warm white balance in skin tones is certainly when it detects a face but is the smoothing more aggressive with the front camera?

Just took two sets of two photos on an XS Max front camera while front lit in two separate rooms (both with relatively warm LED lighting), one with my face covered by my hand and one with my face uncovered. The phone recognized my face in the uncovered photos, did not recognize a face in the covered photos. I'm not posting my lovely, unshaven selfies so you'll have to take my word for it, but the skin on my cheeks that was still visible looked nigh indistinguishable (and smooth) and there's no noticeable change in color temperature. Unbox Therapy is sitting underneath a blueish light in his example. It's not adjusting white balance just when it sees a face, it's when it sees a face and sees "oh, that doesn't look like a normal skin tone." The back camera does the same face identification.
And again, the cameras smooth everything. The front camera is not doing anything special to faces, and it will smooth objects more as it'll produce noisier images than the back camera. The Halide blog posts says they took front-facing photos of multiple different types of objects and saw similar smoothing.

e: I'm not going to attempt to guess their intent, that's not at all what's being discussed. This is called "beautygate" because people believe (and the Unbox Therapy video that spurred this claims) Apple is specifically applying a beauty filter. I do not understand why people believe that, and there is very little evidence pointing to that being the case versus a change in Apple's camera pipeline resulting in aggressively smoothed images regardless of subject.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 3, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

Just took two sets of two photos on an XS Max front camera while front lit in two separate rooms (both with relatively warm LED lighting), one with my face covered by my hand and one with my face uncovered. The phone recognized my face in the uncovered photos, did not recognize a face in the covered photos. I'm not posting my lovely, unshaven selfies so you'll have to take my word for it, but the skin on my cheeks that was still visible looked nigh indistinguishable (and smooth) and there's no noticeable change in color temperature. Unbox Therapy is sitting underneath a blueish light in his example. It's not adjusting white balance just when it sees a face, it's when it sees a face and sees "oh, that doesn't look like a normal skin tone." The back camera does the same face identification.
And again, the cameras smooth everything. The front camera is not doing anything special to faces, and it will smooth objects more as it'll produce noisier images than the back camera. The Halide blog posts says they took front-facing photos of multiple different types of objects and saw similar smoothing.

e: I'm not going to attempt to guess their intent, that's not at all what's being discussed. This is called "beautygate" because people believe (and the Unbox Therapy video that spurred this claims) Apple is specifically applying a beauty filter. I do not understand why people believe that, and there is very little evidence pointing to that being the case versus a change in Apple's camera pipeline resulting in aggressively smoothed images regardless of subject.

That’s interesting - thanks for testing it. That definitely makes it shittier than a beauty filter since there’s no way to get away from it. One thing I’m really curious about is how and why it affects raw files from what that article said. What they’re doing should be post processing so I wonder what’s going on if raw files are affected too (even if it is less than a jpg)like the article implied.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Answer to my question: They will swap the device and had stock on the 64GB SE. It was $269 and well worth it. For some reason my phone has never synced over WiFi to my iMac when plugged in so my backup was old (by eight months). I had my phone plugged in for a backup for ~45 minutes and it never finished. That is a little surprising because I still have ~15GB free space.

So I am starting with a fresh phone. I have all my recent conversations on my iMessages for my Mac, and I have dumped all my photos on a couple of standalone hard drives so I am not too worried about my photos and videos I had on there. It is kind of liberating to start with nothing other than my contacts and calendars. I hope my SE lives forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rio posted:

That’s interesting - thanks for testing it. That definitely makes it shittier than a beauty filter since there’s no way to get away from it. One thing I’m really curious about is how and why it affects raw files from what that article said. What they’re doing should be post processing so I wonder what’s going on if raw files are affected too (even if it is less than a jpg)like the article implied.

You can get away from it by shooting raw. But it looks like the XS defaults to shooting at high iso, so the raw files have a lot of noise. You can get around that by shooting full manual.

The halide app seems to be implementing its own processing pipeline to get a file with better sharpness and less noise reduction.

What's more interesting to me out of this whole debacle is how much processing and how many frames the iPhone is doing for a single shot. There's got to be fun in there tweaking those algorithms.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

Specifically:

1. Spotify won’t show anything but a black screen on CarPlay, but is responsive and works fine on the phone.
2. NPR will not show anything on CarPlay nor will it play anything using the phone

Are these iOS12 bugs or bugs with the apps themselves or maybe my wireless CarPlay head unit?

I’m having #1 happen to me once a day or so. I usually click one of the invisible tabs or flip to the now playing screen until it shows back up. Some times I force quit it on the phone and restart

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Specifically:

I have 1 happen to me a lot but I feel like I've been having issues with the Spotify app on CarPlay and normal use. Sometimes it will say I have no connection until I reboot my phone or in CarPlay the audio will cut out but the song will still show as playing then 20 seconds later start back up again. Is Apple Music this buggy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sacred Cow posted:

Is Apple Music this buggy?

Not in my experience.