Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i think it was in this thread we made fun of natural cycles the smartphone app + thermometer contraceptive that obviously didn't work at all. well it got fda approval this month so everyone keep an eye out for the scootenfruity over the coming quarters. apparently it's the only method of birth control beyond abstinence they're allowed to mention in title x clinics. unbelievable.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-unlikely-politics-of-a-digital-contraceptive

those title x changes were announced and completed the public comment period, but no final rules have been published

it’s expected that they’ll announce an end to hormonal contraception, but until the final rule is out there has not been any change. who knows, maybe they’ll just quietly walk away from a move that every mainstream medical association has condemned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i still love that we live in a time when some euro physicists were able to make and app and get funding for Catholicism :allears:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

was hoping for an amazon link

best I could find was https://www.amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Prisoner-Punishment-Stretched/dp/B07H1DK7HF which is a nice amazonic listing

you were looking in the wrong department

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCWVSJQ

or a more modern version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HC9QX58

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i think it was in this thread we made fun of natural cycles the smartphone app + thermometer contraceptive that obviously didn't work at all. well it got fda approval this month so everyone keep an eye out for the scootenfruity over the coming quarters. apparently it's the only method of birth control beyond abstinence they're allowed to mention in title x clinics. unbelievable.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-unlikely-politics-of-a-digital-contraceptive

it was, also a person from sweden or something informed us that actually it's fine, and totally respected as a valid birth control method out there, and we're just being weird about calling the rhythm method "birth control".

also please ignore the class action lawsuit being brought by women who used the app and ended up with unwanted pregnancies. they were just doing it wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

it was, also a person from sweden or something informed us that actually it's fine, and totally respected as a valid birth control method out there, and we're just being weird about calling the rhythm method "birth control".

also please ignore the class action lawsuit being brought by women who used the app and ended up with unwanted pregnancies. they were just doing it wrong.

my favorite part of that story was where the app gave the author a green light, she had sex, and then later that day it re-calculated and decided actually no, today is a fertile day, don't have sex

and then she got prangent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
look, the method is sound, you just need perfect information about your body to use it properly and any changes caused by diet or stress or temperature or whatever will make it completely invalid.

it's perfectly functional birth control, for robots

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rhythm method only works well if the woman takes plan b after having sex, i thought this was well known. not feeling a lot of sympathy for anyone having unprotected sex and thinking pregnancy definitely won't happen because an app said so

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...yes inducing a period after sex probably will go a long way towards preventing pregnancy.

i do believe you've cracked the case mitnick!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

one of my dad's friends is this very gregarious old italian guy who would come over for dinner regularly when i was a kid. in his spare time he had a pretty decent stand-up comedy act where he'd tell stories about growing up as an italian-canadian and so on.

one time he came over when i was 13 and just about to start high school. he asked where i was going to go and i said $catholic_school.

"CATHOLIC SCHOOL! Oh, oh ho oh, ho, I know aaaaaallll about the Catholics!"
(I was pretty shy so I probably just kind of stared while he grinned)
"Well! Let me tell you one thing I learned in Catholic school. Do you know about the Rhythm method?"
"n...no...."
"Well, you will soon. And when they teach you about the Rhythm method, just remember, there's a word we use for people who use the Rhythm method!"
(I have no idea what he's talking about. Silence for a beat as he takes a gulp of wine)
"PARENTS!!!!" (boisterous laughter)

great guy. he got testicular cancer but beat it and made a lot of jokes about balls as a result.

anyway, yep, I would love to tell him about this app

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ladies absolutely love it when you suggest they take a plan b

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

rhythm method only works well if the woman takes plan b after having sex, i thought this was well known. not feeling a lot of sympathy for anyone having unprotected sex and thinking pregnancy definitely won't happen because an app said so

just dont pee in their butts. thats how girls get pragnent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

just dont pee in their butts. thats how girls get pragnent.

well now you tell me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

look, the method is sound, you just need perfect information about your body to use it properly and any changes caused by diet or stress or temperature or whatever will make it completely invalid.

it's perfectly functional birth control, for robots

what’s really cool is that it’s all predicated upon the lady accurately taking their temperature immediately upon waking up every morning and carefully tracking that for at least a month

and ofc there’s a huge margin of error even if you’ve got training

hope u liek forming babby

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah, i knew of a couple appcessory startups that were just a BLE thermometer in a bra

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Roosevelt posted:

ladies absolutely love it when you suggest they take a plan b

perhaps you do not broach the topic with sufficient delicacy, Roosevelt

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
IUDs/vasectomies should be available for no charge to anyone in the US who has their doctor's go ahead. there should even be cash incentives to get them. there's nothing quite as destructive to a young person's life (both parent and child) as an unplanned/unprepared for pregnancy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stringent posted:

IUDs/vasectomies should be available for no charge to anyone in the US who has their doctor's go ahead. there should even be cash incentives to get them. there's nothing quite as destructive to a young person's life (both parent and child) as an unplanned/unprepared for pregnancy.

ya, also alternatives should also be free for those not medically able to use those specific methods.

but apparently common sense policy == brave new world comes to fruition tomorrow and the world ends or something.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the boomers need more laborers to help prop them up in their dotage.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
that's something that shits me off consistently. ppl want others held to stricter standards for dog ownership than having children.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the freedom to reproduce (but not necessarily prevent such) is viewed by many as a basic human right. not so much pet ownership.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

President Beep posted:

the boomers need more laborers to help prop them up in their dotage.

hey you know what can prop people up? the frame of a guillotine, temporarily

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jit bull transpile posted:

ya, also alternatives should also be free for those not medically able to use those specific methods.

but apparently common sense policy == brave new world comes to fruition tomorrow and the world ends or something.

bring this world of warm prophylactics to me now

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Munkeymon posted:

hey you know what can prop people up? the frame of a guillotine, temporarily
:hai:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i hope they use my femur as a support joist

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

i hope they use my femur as a support joist

happy halloween motherfuckers. :spooky:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

its very cool to chat about what kinds of people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce and... hold on, gently caress, we're in eugenics country now. when did this happen? aw beans

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

CommunistPancake posted:

its very cool to chat about what kinds of people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce and... hold on, gently caress, we're in eugenics country now. when did this happen? aw beans

right, this is where a lot of people go, but i don't understand why? how is preventing unplanned pregnancies eugenics?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Stringent posted:

right, this is where a lot of people go, but i don't understand why? how is preventing unplanned pregnancies eugenics?

I’d guess it’s probably the part where you suggested cash incentives for poors to not breed

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

I’d guess it’s probably the part where you suggested cash incentives for poors to not breed

My idea was that the incentive would serve to motivate young people, who are rather notorious for not taking care of stuff like this without incentive. Where do you get your image of an adult who would forgo having a child they wanted and were prepared to care for in lieu of a bit of ready cash?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i wonder if peter thiel does dialysis :thunk:

before injecting the fresh blood of youths, why strain ur organs when a machine can do it for u???

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
just inject their blood and urine all at the same time

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

qirex posted:

this isn't really rech bubble but monster cable is a consistent source of funny computer

they were banking on winning the beats lawsuit and when they lost they hired a literal criminal to launch a bunch of scummy ventures like an ico [which as far as I can tell they never managed to launch] and online gambling

How can you be too much of a scammer even for telemarketing?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Stringent posted:

nudge nudge

ur too poor for kids

nudge nudge

i know what u need, its sterility

nudge nudge

P.S. freal tho it sucks theres no iud-alike for men

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stringent posted:

My idea was that the incentive would serve to motivate young people, who are rather notorious for not taking care of stuff like this without incentive. Where do you get your image of an adult who would forgo having a child they wanted and were prepared to care for in lieu of a bit of ready cash?

those wicked poors, always having children they aren't prepared to care for in their vain shortsightedness

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There was a male hormone pill but it was discontinued in human trials because it had too many side effects about half of what a woman's pill has

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

have 2 two kids at 18 so you can go to doc and say "doc im done having kids snip the poo poo out of my vas deferens". and then at 36 kick those turdlings out and enjoy ur life

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bhodi posted:

There was a male hormone pill but it was discontinued in human trials because it had too many side effects about half of what a woman's pill has

there's the other one where you put it in a man's shoe and it makes him limp.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

the problems with those is that they're way more sensitive because the dosage is much smaller and needs to be taken uninterrupted for much longer. but there are a few in human trials right now still

from what i understand it's a much more sensitive system in general which is where all the problems come from and why vasectomy has been a thing for so long

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4762912/#!po=6.61765

seems like it’s significantly less effective than female hormonal contraceptive - up to 4.5% or more compared to 0.3%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my computer has nexplanon so i can gently caress and cum in it without worry :thumbsup: