Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

OP posted:

Charging is fairly quick in any case - a full charge only takes about 30 minutes or so.

Is this still true? My S4 is taking about three hours to go from 10% to 90%.

It's my first Apple Watch, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is it worth waiting for the Series 4 to go on sale?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Basically when Series 5 comes out

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

No just get one, the S4 is amazing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

Basically when Series 5 comes out

It’s too early to say either way. The series 3 went on sale probably by around Christmas , and definitely within 6-7 months. I love my Apple Watch, but it definitely does not retain its value like iPhones and iPads do.

Example: I have a series 3 Apple Watch, and I have a iPad Mini 2. I checked the trade ins on both on swappa:

Series 3: recently sold $240-250

iPad mini 2: recently sold for $140-150

The iPad mini 2 launched Nov, 2013. Aka it launched with the iPhone 5S. The Apple Watch launched Sept 2017.

That’s both a high depreciation for the Watch (for Apple product standards) and a really good value retention for the Mini 2.

rage-saq posted:

Rant that I just posted above, unless someone has a Watch Series 3 this is probably the right answer. The series 4 screen is really, really good. I may be very jealous.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rage-saq posted:

Not empty quoting.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Earliest would be around Christmas probably if you want to wait. Otherwise depending on your state's sales tax could save a bit by ordering from somewhere that you don't get taxed on (ordered from B&H in my case).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
You don't have to choose a carrier (or at least GSM/CDMA) when ordering the cellular-enabled models? :raise:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's been Black Friday sales on Apple Watches like every year, even if it's just like a gift card or something. It's certainly worth waiting for that unless you need a watch right now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Small White Dragon posted:

You don't have to choose a carrier (or at least GSM/CDMA) when ordering the cellular-enabled models? :raise:

The Apple Watch doesn't support CDMA.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve just restarted and am charging but there’s something definitely off with the battery on my watch right now. It’s down to 60% overnight when it was fully charged around 8-9pm. I could usually go 2 days between charges but the way this is using power I’ll be lucky to get a day.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ever since I paired my S3 to my new XS max, the notifications have been... spotty. A good chunk of the time theres no haptic buzz, and the ding is barely perceptible. About half of the notifications never sound at all on the watch, and the phone is silent as well since it's relying on the watch to signal for me. I have the prominent haptics turned on, and the extra buzz fires about 10% of the time.

Everything worked as expected before the shift to the new phone.

Anyone else experiencing similar? Genius time?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ever since I paired my S3 to my new XS max, the notifications have been... spotty. A good chunk of the time theres no haptic buzz, and the ding is barely perceptible. About half of the notifications never sound at all on the watch, and the phone is silent as well since it's relying on the watch to signal for me. I have the prominent haptics turned on, and the extra buzz fires about 10% of the time.

I feel like I have no proof and am maybe just being crazy, but yeah, I feel like I’ve noticed some notification weirdness since re-pairing my S3 to my new XS.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Before genius time, unpair and re-pair time.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Dick Nipples posted:

mm, right. I'll do that tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Got my new SSB and holy moley this thing is beautiful and fast. I think this is the version where everything has been figured out and they’ve been able to execute what they envisioned for the Watch all along.

My only complaint is that the watch doesn’t come in a fancy plastic box like my S0 did.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Got my new SSB and holy moley this thing is beautiful and fast. I think this is the version where everything has been figured out and they’ve been able to execute what they envisioned for the Watch all along.

My only complaint is that the watch doesn’t come in a fancy plastic box like my S0 did.

First gen Apple products always get the fanciest packages. I noticed they also greatly reduced the charger cord length from my S0 one.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’m glad I kept my S0 plastic box. The package for new SS watches is nice, I like the little foam sweater they made for it; but, the older style jewelry boxes were better.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

I have an s0 and a 7 and lately I won’t get alerts on the watch pretty often. I have the phone set to vibrate so the phone will vibrate in my pocket while the watch does nothing. I can’t remember if this started with ios12 or earlier, but it’s recent.

I’m hoping my inbound s4 fixes it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rage-saq posted:

I’m glad I kept my S0 plastic box. The package for new SS watches is nice, I like the little foam sweater they made for it; but, the older style jewelry boxes were better.
Aluminum got the sweater too.

The box was great this time around, although it bugs me that the band was given its own box.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I do wish you could buy without the band, especially since they have stopped giving any choices there. My wife bought the gold one but will never ever use that pink band it comes with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know perfectly well that if they sold it without a band it would still cost exactly the same.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Pants Donkey posted:

Aluminum got the sweater too.

The box was great this time around, although it bugs me that the band was given its own box.

I think that the band box was separate mainly to facilitate swaps. When I picked up my S4, the person ahead of me was swapping the default black sport loop to a bright pink/orange one.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The Series 4 is making me consider getting an iPhone but sadly I can not afford one :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just checked out the series 4 in an Apple store on my walk into the office...

...gently caress looks like I'm getting a series 4.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

64bit_Dophins posted:

The Series 4 is making me consider getting an iPhone but sadly I can not afford one :(

Get an SE. You can find them for pretty drat cheap and it’s still a capable phone.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

SeANMcBAY posted:

Get an SE. You can find them for pretty drat cheap and it’s still a capable phone.

Has the price not gone up since they discontinued it?

I've honestly always wanted to get an SE because it's the last of the good small Smartphones.

Looks like the going rate is about $150 which is for sure affordable imo.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 3, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

64bit_Dophins posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

6S is the Ur-iPhone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

Before un-pair and re-pair time is reboot both devices time.

I had the watch and phone (S2 and iPhone SE) not sync up some time last week, like no notifications came through and when looking at messages I guess all the contact data was gone too cause it only showed phone numbers. Rebooting worked for me but I've heard it not working for others so :iiam:, but whatever the case seems like a new bug with watchOS 5 and/or iOS 12.

Dick Nipples posted:

I think that the band box was separate mainly to facilitate swaps. When I picked up my S4, the person ahead of me was swapping the default black sport loop to a bright pink/orange one.
I'm hoping to do that when mine comes but considering I didn't buy from Apple I'm guessing it won't be an option :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress sake I can’t get Strong to activate companion mode on the watch anymore. It used to be I had to uninstall/re-install the watch app then repair in the options, but now even that and rebooting doesn’t work. It’ll open my routines, then give a loading wheel, then the app crashes. What a great phone app, but a hunk of junk watch app.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does anyone know if having two sleep tracking apps causes problems? I’d guess not, but sometimes this stuff is weird.

Wanna try Sleep Watch and see how it compares to AutoSleep.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I’ve been using Sleep Watch for a few nights now, and it’s way more accurate at tracking sleep, at least for me. Last night, my sleep was interrupted several times, and the Sleep Watch data showed the gap in sleep every time I woke up. The interface is also a lot more intuitive and simple than Autosleep. So far, I’m very happy with it, and it doesn’t seem to have any conflicts when installed in addition to Autosleep.

I know Autosleep is popular and highly rated, so I’m sure it works well for a lot of people. For whatever reason, it just wasn’t compatible with my messed up sleep habits.

Or maybe it tracked all too accurately, and I really do survive on 1-3 hours of sleep per night. :spooky:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I use Sleep Watch now after someone recommended it here and it's pretty great for me. It's the most accurate one I've tried, and the only complaint I have is that I wish I could see the detailed night view in the same screen that you use to edit/truncate your sleep (I have to truncate my mornings a bit cause I lay in bed for a bit after waking up even though I should't). But other than that, it's fine. By default it doesn't ask for Write permissions in Health, so if you're on the fence about whether or not the data is reliable you can just try it out first.

I've never tried using two at a time, but I'd imagine it's fine? They both just read passive data collected by the watch and use that to predict your sleep times.

e: I'm really surprised and amazed at how good this battery is. I've basically never had to "explicitly" charge the watch ever and I've been wearing it during my sleep and for at least 20m every day in the Workout app. The only times I take it off are in the morning before I jump in the shower and get ready for the day (~30-60m) and in the evening when I'm washing my face and getting ready for bed (also about ~30-60m).

e2: The workout app is pretty cool. I love seeing these charts like how my heart rate drops over time after a workout, or like how it slowly builds up.

The only buggy thing that I don't understand is why I don't get stand credits sometimes. Apparently it's not just standing up, you've gotta be "active" as well for 1m. Except, sometimes, it doesn't register. The other night I was frantically trying to get 12/12 stand credits before bed and even though I was pacing back and forth from my living room to my kitchen and back it just didn't want to credit me. The hour ended and I was still 11/12. I read a post somewhere that you can force it just by swinging your arms around in circles and that did the trick.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 4, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This picture isn't mine but …

What the gently caress is going on there? That's 121 hours or roughly four hours of exercise every single day in October. Who has time to exercise four hours every single day other than professional athletes?

I feel like I would just give up without even trying cause it's for all intents and purposes impossible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

This picture isn't mine but …

What the gently caress is going on there? That's 121 hours or roughly four hours of exercise every single day in October. Who has time to exercise four hours every single day other than professional athletes?

I feel like I would just give up without even trying cause it's for all intents and purposes impossible.
Mine just says "reach your daily Move goal 25 times". I'd guess that's a bug. Or maybe the person has some ridiculous goals and based it on that? :iiam:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

japtor posted:

Mine just says "reach your daily Move goal 25 times". I'd guess that's a bug. Or maybe the person has some ridiculous goals and based it on that? :iiam:

I get that the challenges are tailored to your own activities but I guess I expected there to be an upper limit. Being asked to do an impossible task isn’t exactly a motivator.

Anyway is there a way to get rid of the sunset time in the Siri watch face? I wanna keep the weather panel itself, just not the sunset panel.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
My wife broke her s2, so I just bought a new 44mm Nike s4 and she gets my s3. Everyone wins! Especially me!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get that the challenges are tailored to your own activities but I guess I expected there to be an upper limit. Being asked to do an impossible task isn’t exactly a motivator.

Eh, it's not that impossible if you walk around a lot and like you said, professional athletes shouldn't have any trouble achieving that. I sometimes think my custom monthly achievements are impossible but then I start working on them and they get a lot more reasonable. Upper limits would be kinda lame because everyone's different.

OTOH the activity app refused to track my Strava workouts last month so I couldn't even make the "do 4 workouts" achievement I got in September. v:v:v

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I should not have updated my s2 before going on holiday. The battery drain is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zwille posted:

OTOH the activity app refused to track my Strava workouts last month so I couldn't even make the "do 4 workouts" achievement I got in September. v:v:v

I'm kinda confused about which apps to use. For cycling I definitely wanna use Strava, so am I suppose to record the workout in Strava, in Workouts (and it gets transferred over to Strava?), or both?