Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rascyc posted:

The hard mode is prob one of the most balanced turn based RPGs I've ever played. Probably the only one in recent memory actually.

Hard mode goes between decent challenge to RNG bullshit. They really should have balanced each boss individually rather than slapping a flat stat buff for hard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Steve Yun posted:

Do you ever get high enough in levels that you can max out all skills

No

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mizuti posted:

IX made the mage class inexplicably terrible, and that impacted my enjoyment a lot.

Wait what was wrong with Mages in 9? I had one the whole game and she was consistently a powerful party member, and since I pumped her up with the Staff Tree MP was never an issue for her.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hard mode goes between decent challenge to RNG bullshit. They really should have balanced each boss individually rather than slapping a flat stat buff for hard mode.

After about lvl 20-25 or so, the RNG falls off sharply since you have more access to your toolbox. The first round can still be RNG poo poo before you get any turns in, but even that's pretty easily countered by just bringing in the backup team.

Act 3, on the other hand, has some fights that are either RNG hell or really expect you to completely retool for the specific encounter.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is there any way to limit characters being turned to gold? I'm on Trial of the Luminary battle and it's hard to complete it in under 40 moves when my characters keep getting turned to gold. I can win it easily, just having a hard time hitting the under 40 requirement.

I'm level 58.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kiefer and Maribel are just complete rancid vermin

Expect My Mom posted:

Keifer and Maribel own imo

Both of these statements are true. :devil:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Expect My Mom posted:

:hai:

My favorite is Ruff tho, a good boy through and through

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Do you ever get high enough in levels that you can max out all skills

A couple of characters max out well before max level, but the hero never does.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The real question to ask is: Is there a way to farm skill seeds? That would effectively reach the same goal.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

History Comes Inside! posted:

A couple of characters max out well before max level, but the hero never does.

This isn’t true, every character needs skill seeds to some degree

Jade and Erik for example need 3 seeds each to get everything, while the hero needs 14

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SettingSun posted:

The real question to ask is: Is there a way to farm skill seeds? That would effectively reach the same goal.

yes, it's in the google doc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pGQGO9M_OLNstXbY45t1_zMDCLpiw8pwB7y8fM3IKkA/htmlview?sle=true

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

This isn’t true, every character needs skill seeds to some degree

Jade and Erik for example need 3 seeds each to get everything, while the hero needs 14

They definitely don't, unless I've somehow managed to finish the game and miss skill tree extensions for half the roster? I've got over 100 skill points left for some characters, where other characters are indeed maxed and would need seeds to finish their trees.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A liquid metal slime dropped a Happy Hat and Im mad about it cause I'd have to ruin someone's outfit

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

A liquid metal slime dropped a Happy Hat and Im mad about it cause I'd have to ruin someone's outfit

to hell with the happy hat, fashion souls for life imo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Arboria Act 2: I can't believe Veronica is actually, seriously dead.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

This floored me too. They literally mashed her character into Serena. Bold move, game. I definitely didn't expect this.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

it's an amazingly well executed gut punch that you never see coming

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I kept waiting for the chance to change that and was surprised when it didn't come until the weird postgame that i still feel odd about

The start of Act 2 gave me a real sense of the protagonists at their lowest point that reminded me a lot of Final Fantasy 6. It really felt like it turned the game on its head.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Act 3
wtf don't casually drop act iii spoilers that you don't mark as such in the middle of a discussion about act ii

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
What on earth determines Erik's steal, I've been here for five minutes trying to get mats of enemies rather than hoping they drop and got nothing but Failed To Steal. I assume it's his deftness which is almost 200 but uhhhhh

e: lol whining on the internet does work

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 2, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

On the topic of Act 3, the whole time travel thing seemed weird and cheap at first but seeing Veronica's poo poo-eating grin again and listening to her scream WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! as she nukes everything is good for the soul so I'm willing to let it slide

Expect My Mom posted:

What on earth determines Erik's steal, I've been here for five minutes trying to get mats of enemies rather than hoping they drop and got nothing but Failed To Steal. I assume it's his deftness which is almost 200 but uhhhhh

welcome to stealing in dragon quest

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Expect My Mom posted:

Deftness and I swear he does it more when pepped up. Some enemies are also easier, he had like a near 100% success rate on grabbing serpent souls from whatever dragon holding an eyeball is in the act 3 battlefield

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Expect My Mom posted:

Divide increases his steal rate success. Also Robber Gloves, and one of his costume suits. And of course the pep power is a guarantee steal.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

This floored me too. They literally mashed her character into Serena. Bold move, game. I definitely didn't expect this.

Act 2 Arboria Yeah, after that the whole thing made way more sense, since everyone's gotten an Act 2 power-up and both twins' skill panels were suspiciously tiny. I just liked Veronica way more than Serena.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Deftness and I swear he does it more when pepped up. Some enemies are also easier, he had like a near 100% success rate on grabbing serpent souls from whatever dragon holding an eyeball is in the act 3 battlefield

you get 1% per 20 deftness

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I just finished the First Forest, how much of the game is left?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Duckula posted:

Depending what just happened, you're either right at the end of Act 1 or the start of Act 2.

So, quite a while.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

it's an amazingly well executed gut punch that you never see coming

Act 2 Arboria The follow up with how it affects Serena and how she grows as a character is also extremely well done. One of my favorite parts of the entire game

Act 3 spoilerWhich is why it's really frustrating that Part 3 somewhat undoes that. .

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 2, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Duckula posted:

Half way through main game, 1/3 of the way through the entire game including postgame. Or longer deciding how many of the side events in post game you do. Postgame is loooong if you do everything.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
good lord, dora-in-grey (lmao) was a difficulty spike. beating that on my first try feels so good. getting the Magic Key for beating her is such a great reward

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Expect My Mom posted:

good lord, dora-in-grey (lmao) was a difficulty spike. beating that on my first try feels so good. getting the Magic Key for beating her is such a great reward

My favorite part of that was Rab telling us not to bother running all over the world treasure hunting because mordegon is more important and me immediately ignoring him.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

theblackw0lf posted:

Is there any way to limit characters being turned to gold? I'm on Trial of the Luminary battle and it's hard to complete it in under 40 moves when my characters keep getting turned to gold. I can win it easily, just having a hard time hitting the under 40 requirement.

I'm level 58.
Snap crackle poof I think but it's a tough sell to maintain it on 4 people, and the AI will always hit two without it so you can use it to control the targeting. You can use turn skip protection for the dances and beguile for the charms though, all of that is handy.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Shugojin posted:

His Pep Mode increases his deftness, so yes, it does increase his stealing success chance.

I have had two sets of Robbers' Gloves and whatever the mid-act 1 headgear is that boosts stealing success rate glued to him for all of the game and by the start of act 3 I rarely have too much trouble getting a steal from enemies.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Expect My Mom posted:

Maribel owns but Kiefer is a dick imho.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

History Comes Inside! posted:

They definitely don't, unless I've somehow managed to finish the game and miss skill tree extensions for half the roster? I've got over 100 skill points left for some characters, where other characters are indeed maxed and would need seeds to finish their trees.

If this is true then I’ve been lied to by gamefaqs

I need to sit down...

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm doing this fight right now and she's absolutely loving destroying me. She goes first, charms the only dude who can remove charm (lol), crits Rab for 175, then fire breaths everyone for 80, killing Rab in the process.

Like, what the gently caress? Do I just have to get lucky, or do I need to grind levels?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

So you're not drifting

I guess not. I'm just not gonna do it, I don't enjoy minigames in RPGs anyways. They always end up being tedious dumb bullshit.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Mystery Prize posted:

I'm doing this fight right now and she's absolutely loving destroying me. She goes first, charms the only dude who can remove charm (lol), crits Rab for 175, then fire breaths everyone for 80, killing Rab in the process.

Like, what the gently caress? Do I just have to get lucky, or do I need to grind levels?

I ran into some steel Slimes in that area, some grinding wouldn't hurt.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mystery Prize posted:

A few extra levels aren't going to save you if someone gets crit at that point in the game. Just watch them die and swap them out for someone else and keep going.

Anyway same answer to the other guy: snap crackle pop. Use it on Sylvando