Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

If you fail a defensive cast, you just fizzle the spell, you don't get attacked. People getting AoOed due to casting is because they're casting something like Scorching Ray or Acid Arrow in melee - spells that have a ranged attack roll, and anything with a ranged attack roll provokes. Or because of a very specific high level fighter exclusive feat I'm not certain is even in the game (haven't looked).

As for the numbers... I'm not certain if the game is using the exact numbers (probably, but I haven't noticed defensive cast rolls in the combat log) then the check is a DC 15 plus double spell level, with the roll being a d20 + caster level + relevant ability score (usually INT for maguses) + other bonuses. So you have a pretty good chance of getting your spells off even at lvl 1 in melee, and it very quickly ramps up into being nearly irrelevant.

There is some both hard and soft railroading, but the more direct version is only present in act 1 (as far as I'm aware) - a magical fog the Stag Lord summoned means you can't travel outside a predefined area, though said area is still fairly extensive. The soft railroading after that is mainly due to encounter tables differing in various areas, along with the monsters in the actual locations as well - so yes, you can travel anywhere you feel like, but if you wander too far out too soon, you'll probably get squashed.

There are also various encounters off the beaten path you can run into as well even in early areas that you'd probably be best off avoiding until later I'd imagine. Best example I can think of is that a location just east of your capital (once you start act 2) that has a cave on that map... and inside the cave is a Crag Linnorm. Now I'm not certain if it has the full stats or not, because I didn't attack it to find out, but that's a loving CR 14 monster by the original rules.

I attacked it once for shits and giggles. It has 36 AC and a breath weapon than did 70 damage, so yea, stay away.

EDIT: and on diffculty, I feel it's mostly the attack rolls/AC of most monsters which are boosted. Damage is usually fine, but with stuff like BAB 8 leopards in the middle of Act 1 for no reason, it's just too many attacks that hit to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What is the relationship between Demoralized (caused by Intimidate checks) and shaken, frightened, and panicked? Good old 3.X and its ten thousand status effects.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nothingtoseehere posted:

EDIT: and on diffculty, I feel it's mostly the attack rolls/AC of most monsters which are boosted. Damage is usually fine, but with stuff like BAB 8 leopards in the middle of Act 1 for no reason, it's just too many attacks that hit to deal with.

One of the superbandits in the surface map of the mites and Kobalds map in Ch1 does 2d6+14 per hit on normal. The 2d6 is from the greatsword, ok fine, what the gently caress is his str?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Normal should probably be without any insane boosts for anything and then harder difficulties with all the magical bonuses from nowhere. If they had gone with that and an extra harder setting I doubt everyone, myself included, would have complained so much.

Keeshhound posted:

One of the superbandits in the surface map of the mites and Kobalds map in Ch1 does 2d6+14 per hit on normal. The 2d6 is from the greatsword, ok fine, what the gently caress is his str?
+9 modifier? So 28. Seems reasonable for level 3ish. He might be using power attack.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Poil posted:

Normal should probably be without any insane boosts for anything and then harder difficulties with all the magical bonuses from nowhere. If they had gone with that and an extra harder setting I doubt everyone, myself included, would have complained so much.

+9 modifier? So 28. Seems reasonable for level 3ish. He might be using power attack.

28 seems pretty nutty for a bandit at level 3. What are they the hulk?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

What is the relationship between Demoralized (caused by Intimidate checks) and shaken, frightened, and panicked? Good old 3.X and its ten thousand status effects.

Demoralizing someone is just a usage of Intimidate that causes the Shaken condition, it's not a condition itself. Shaken gives a bunch of -2 penalties to a bunch of stuff but they're still in the fight, frightened is "run away if you can," panicked is "run the hell away screaming, dropping anything held as you go, or curl up into a ball if you're stuck." I'm not sure if there's actually a mechanical difference between frightened and panicked in the game.

Keeshhound posted:

Assuming 20 STR, you can do it with a 5th lvl fighter with just one feat. +7 from STR for two handing a weapon, +6 for Power Attack, +1 for Weapon Training. If he's only got 18 STR you can actually do it at 4th lvl fighter with two feats - +6 from STR, +6 from Power Attack, +2 from Weapon Specialization.

If he's not a fighter... eh. Probably possible but don't want to go through the various permutations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

willing to settle posted:

Someone give me a cool build that doesn't depend as much on resting constantly as a wizard but can still do interesting things outside of hitting for big numbers.

Aasimar Angelkin Monk (Scaled Fist) 1\Paladin (Divine Hunter) 2\Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline) 2\Dragon Disciple 8\Eldritch Knight 7

16 Str, 14 Con, 14 Dex, 10 Int, 7 Wis, 19 Cha

Key feats are power attack and crane style.

While this doesn't get access to 8th and 9th level spells, it does let you buff yourself and toss around crowd control with okay numbers, while still hitting stuff with a 2 hander for almost lol-damage and having good defensive stats. Because you max charisma, you get to be persuade monkey and rock a super good UMD score, opening up lots of options for consumables if you want to do that.

Edit: Normal difficulty is basically regular pathfinder, but with ~4 extra to all relevant derived numbers. Setting Enemy Difficulty to weaker is closer to PnP stats than Normal difficulty.

And no matter what difficulty you set it to, all the enemies have more feats than they do in PnP.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 2, 2018

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Keeshhound posted:

A full-BAB class who is level 4 and has 18 strength, using Power Attack with a greatsword, does 2d6+12 damage. If he's a raging barbarian or is a fighter with weapon specialization, there you go.

Edit: beaten, and with more math to boot

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 2, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
My point was that it's not really appropriate for an area where the +14 alone is likely to be about 1/3rd the HP of one of your frontliners.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly the game is designed for grognards. Please lower the difficulty in regards to enemy ability and DC checks to affect enemies. Leave damage alone if you want a challenge but don't want to delve deep into the nuance of Pathfinder mechanics, especially when the game doesn't exactly explain things to you.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The fact that it inflates stuff over raw is kinda weird for normal. I'm used to most P&P games slightly nerfing stuff compared to raw P&P on normal instead.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I can agree with that. You would think that the default would not have 18 strength bandits as an 18 strength for humans represents the near pinnacle of that attribute. An average bandit should have a 10 or 12 and top out at a 14 or maybe higher if it's representing a relatively unique threat.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

It's Perception. If you cheat it up to absurd numbers, you discover lots of stuff from further away.

So it just uses highest passive Perception in the party or makes individual rolls for each member?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

Demoralizing someone is just a usage of Intimidate that causes the Shaken condition, it's not a condition itself. Shaken gives a bunch of -2 penalties to a bunch of stuff but they're still in the fight, frightened is "run away if you can," panicked is "run the hell away screaming, dropping anything held as you go, or curl up into a ball if you're stuck." I'm not sure if there's actually a mechanical difference between frightened and panicked in the game.

Thanks, you're a good dude. Anybody further know if Dazzling Display makes one Intimidate check and compares it to each enemy's defenses, or if it makes one check per enemy?

I think I want to be an Inquisitor with Dazzling Display / Cornugon Smash / Dreadful Carnage. The Glory domain would let me crank my Persuasion even farther but it's only really a synergy if Display makes one check. That way I could Glory myself before rooms, open fight with a Display, and have fun.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
On that subject, you're not really supposed to build standard enemies with the rules used for players, anyway. This is getting into amateur game design a little bit, but the role of the player characters (or party npcs) are drastically different from that of the enemies, to the point that they really shouldn't be using the same rulesets except in special cases.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 2, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I noticed that in the ending of the tutorial when you defend yourself from the purple gnome's slander with diplomacy he is the one making the skill roll if his skill is the highest (which it likely is). Lmao.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I just found the enraged owlbears. Holy heck those guys hurt even on easy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Keeshhound posted:

On that subject, you're not really supposed to build standard enemies with the rules used for players, anyway. This is getting into amateur game design a little bit, but the role of the player characters (or party npcs) are drastically different from that of the enemies, to the point that they really shouldn't be using the same rulesets excepr in special cases.

I feel like this is how we ended up with Pathfinder: Kingmaker enemies.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Glenn Quebec posted:

I feel like this is how we ended up with Pathfinder: Kingmaker enemies.

Well, the other part of it is that the whole exercise is predicated on the assumption that one of the two groups is going to survive the encounter more often than not, and it's not supposed to be the bandits.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I thought 3.x/PF were pretty big on using the same rules for enemies and players unlike 2e which just kinda eyeballed numbers that looked good and didn't really apply them to anything else and 4e which had pretty strict formulas for how strong enemies should be.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
So apparently you can get instantly killed if someone lands a hold person on you and you fail a save against a dexterity poison. Hold Person sets your dexterity to 1, and the poison takes it to 0, killing any character instantly.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks, you're a good dude. Anybody further know if Dazzling Display makes one Intimidate check and compares it to each enemy's defenses, or if it makes one check per enemy?

I think I want to be an Inquisitor with Dazzling Display / Cornugon Smash / Dreadful Carnage. The Glory domain would let me crank my Persuasion even farther but it's only really a synergy if Display makes one check. That way I could Glory myself before rooms, open fight with a Display, and have fun.

I strongly suggest taking at least 1 level of Rogue Thug archetype for Frightening feature which lets you push past shaken condition into, well, frightened. 2nd level can also give you skill focus in Persuasion and 3rd is Dex to damage if you swing that way. Also keep your eyes on Shatter Defenses feat.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just the feat I was wondering about :yeah: Got any idea about Dazzling Display one check or several?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

On that subject, you're not really supposed to build standard enemies with the rules used for players, anyway. This is getting into amateur game design a little bit, but the role of the player characters (or party npcs) are drastically different from that of the enemies, to the point that they really shouldn't be using the same rulesets except in special cases.

yes that's good game design, this is a Pathfinder game, heir to the legacy of D&D 3.x which largely took the opposite approach

the game having a retrograde "grognard adversarial DM"-vibe seems like part of the fun though

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 2, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gorelab posted:

I thought 3.x/PF were pretty big on using the same rules for enemies and players unlike 2e which just kinda eyeballed numbers that looked good and didn't really apply them to anything else and 4e which had pretty strict formulas for how strong enemies should be.

Yeah, this is kind of the thing. "Players and NPCs have different roles and should be designed differently" is one of those newfangled game design principles that Pathfinder (as a tabletop ruleset) was created specifically as a backlash to. 3.x was one of the more "simulationist" versions of D&D and Pathfinder followed very closely in those footsteps, because its audience demanded that it do so. The idea is very much that there should be rules describing and governing all sorts of situations, and they should be generally applicable when possible, so monsters have the six basic stats and alignments and skill checks and sometimes even class levels that work just like the players' do.

All of which is to say that yeah, monsters and players aren't really supposed to be under similar stat frameworks, but in 3.x they generally were. The reason that Kingmaker's enemies got weird buffs is, I can only assume, because the translation to the PC ended up with things being too easy and it was somehow not acceptable to just add more monsters to encounters.

Or because all their beta testers were munchkins that do char-op in their sleep and the feedback was skewed.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

So apparently you can get instantly killed if someone lands a hold person on you and you fail a save against a dexterity poison. Hold Person sets your dexterity to 1, and the poison takes it to 0, killing any character instantly.

Isn't only Con supposed to kill a character at 0? 0 Dex should just immobilize you.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, this is kind of the thing. "Players and NPCs have different roles and should be designed differently" is one of those newfangled game design principles that Pathfinder (as a tabletop ruleset) was created specifically as a backlash to. 3.x was one of the more "simulationist" versions of D&D and Pathfinder followed very closely in those footsteps, because its audience demanded that it do so. The idea is very much that there should be rules describing and governing all sorts of situations, and they should be generally applicable when possible, so monsters have the six basic stats and alignments and skill checks and sometimes even class levels that work just like the players' do.

All of which is to say that yeah, monsters and players aren't really supposed to be under similar stat frameworks, but in 3.x they generally were. The reason that Kingmaker's enemies got weird buffs is, I can only assume, because the translation to the PC ended up with things being too easy and it was somehow not acceptable to just add more monsters to encounters.

Or because all their beta testers were munchkins that do char-op in their sleep and the feedback was skewed.

I'm going to guess it's the beta testers, just because in general the type of people who are loudest about games like this are those who are really really good at them. Like PoE2 PoTD being undone on launch sucks, but it also probably affects a very small minority. Who are very loud.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Agnostalgia posted:

Isn't only Con supposed to kill a character at 0? 0 Dex should just immobilize you.

Yupp. Kingmaker kills you at 0 no matter which attribute it is.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

This game is objectively worse than PoE and DOS in more or less every way, but... But... I can't help but love it. I love it a lot. I definitely love it more than DOS. PoE, I don't want to say it's true... but it might be.

I think I had D&D brainworms all along and I just didn't know it.

Pray for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xalidur posted:

This game is objectively worse than PoE and DOS in more or less every way, but... But... I can't help but love it. I love it a lot. I definitely love it more than DOS. PoE, I don't want to say it's true... but it might be.

I think I had D&D brainworms all along and I just didn't know it.

Pray for me.

I don't know why you gotta act like it can't also be a good game. It's weird yo

In particular a lot of things are better than in Pillars, especially the whole kingdom management thing--the fort in PoE is really lame and forgettable, I think

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The kingdom management stuff is the main place where I'd say it excels, because honestly most CRPGs just kinda do it at a very cursory level.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

World Famous W posted:

So is Magus just hosed and doing combat casting just going to cause attacks of opportunity forever? Cause I'm about to drop mine and reroll again.

As mentioned above, use touch attacks but not ranged touch attacks.

Personally I didn't even bother with spell combat at low levels. My 1st level slots were exclusively for casting Shield.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I think I might be bad at rules.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

LGD posted:

yes that's good game design, this is a Pathfinder game, heir to the legacy of D&D 3.x which largely took the opposite approach

the game having a retrograde "grognard adversarial DM"-vibe seems like part of the fun though

Tbh the grognardiness is a huge part of the appeal to me. Feels like a modern MS-DOS game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I made several Magus until I settled on an aasimar with the bestial type. Eldritch Scion and the undead bloodline.

Primary stats:

All feats concentrate on survivability. Toughness, Dodge, armor focus. Then weapon focus. Once I get to medium armor I'm gonna start leveling in fighter, at least twice to get the legit fighter stuff.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
waiting for the hot fix to the hotfix.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah i love this dumb game now fix it so i can play more and have my kingdom destroyed by trolls again

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also this game made me inspired to check out the actual pathfinder campaign it's based off of and wow it has way cooler monsters in it

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There were also a lot more weirder classes to play like being a literal stone mummy, a bloat mage and Ooze Activists THE SLIME LORDS. Course, those are third party classes so they'd probably be costly to put in.

Also, out of all the versions of a hotfix to not work, it had to be the Windows Version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Can anyone tell me off hand if harder difficulty means you get more EXP? I haven't noticed it so far but I'm curious if by rerolling and blitzing through the early game on Story Mode to get back to where I was, if I'll be losing out on EXP.

E: On experimentation, no, it does not. Good.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 3, 2018