Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1047178147056295936

Oh baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah but so did lots of things.

Very few things ripped off Dune as completely as Wheel of Time. Like I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, but it's super point for point blatant.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

Very few things ripped off Dune as completely as Wheel of Time. Like I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, but it's super point for point blatant.

I've only read Dune once a while ago and I've attempted to read the other books but I don't see it, outside of like the Aiel (who Jordan said were based on the Freman and other sources) and the obvious hero-savior stuff. Can you expand a bit?

e: Oh yeah, and the Aes Sedai are intentionally similar to the Bene Gesserit too, I just remembered that.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 2, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

More info:

quote:

HBO has given a series order to The Righteous Gemstones, the Danny McBride-created half-hour comedy about a world-famous televangelist family with a long tradition of deviance, greed and charitable work — all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

John Goodman stars the patriarch Eli Gemstone, and the order comes as his other series, ABC’s Roseanne Barr-less The Conners, preps for its season premiere October 16. The plan is to shoot Gemstones after production on Conners is complete.

McBride also is the writer, producer and director/executive producer with his Rough House Pictures partners Jody Hill and David Gordon Green. The trio were behind the McBride-starring baseball comedy Eastbound & Down, which aired on HBO from 2010-13.

McBride stars as Jesse Gemstone, Eli’s eldest son and heir to the throne who walks in his father’s shadow while simultaneously blazing his own path. He also fancies himself a maverick in the ministry game, taking what Eli has built and expanding it for a more modern audience.

Edi Patterson is set as Judy Gemstone, the daughter of Eli and Amy Leigh; Adam Devine plays Kelvin Gemstone, Eli and Amy’s youngest who’s the edgy one; Cassidy Freeman is Amber Gemstone, wife of Jesse Gemstone; Tony Cavalero is Keefe Chambers, an ex-Satanist saved by Kelvin. Tim Baltz is Judy’s fiancé BJ, and GregAlan Williams plays Martin Imari, a conservative Kenyan and Eli’s right hand.

All in on this one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes more McBride/Hill HBO comedies forever please

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress yes more McBride/Hill HBO comedies forever please

yes

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

I can draw some surface parallels but you can do that with nearly any fantasy work.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’m in!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Walking Dead marathon just made it to season 2. RIP

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked season 2 a fair bit, but I binged it like two years after the fact. I bet it was torture watching weekly lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

I liked season 2 a fair bit, but I binged it like two years after the fact. I bet it was torture watching weekly lmao
IT WAS :negative:

I kept wondering when the gently caress they were gonna do anything at all and they just never did!

I'm glad I don't watch that show anymore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Season 2's finale was perfect, and then it kept going for 20 minutes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6UKGhiE_Nk

E: I figure those of you who miss the Melissa Joan Hart Sabrina can watch this instead.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 3, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tim Burton's daughter or someone that really loves Tim Burton/Hot Topic

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

IT WAS :negative:

I kept wondering when the gently caress they were gonna do anything at all and they just never did!

I'm glad I don't watch that show anymore.

Yeah same, I fell off a season or two ago. Just can't be bothered to care even if they hit the comic arc I'd been waiting for.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

Yeah same, I fell off a season or two ago. Just can't be bothered to care even if they hit the comic arc I'd been waiting for.
I was gonna say I lasted until Glenn died, but I just looked up when he died and that episode aired in October of 2016 and I definitely didn't make it that long. I think I stopped watching after they concluded the whole IS GLENN DEAD OR ISN'T HE?! arc, though I guess he actually died for real after I stopped watching? lol

I don't even know anymore. The first season was the best season. It was all downhill after that. There were flashes of brilliance here and there, like that episode where Rick meets up with Morgan again several seasons later and he's all hosed up from the PTSD of his wife dying and turning into a zombie, but mostly it just sucked the further along it went.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I kept watching because Jeffrey Dean Morgan is awesome, and also it was hilarious how they kept giving him plot armor

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I watch uhh 3 zombie shows now. No regrets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The previews for the Charmed reboot are not really doing anything for me

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Is ANYONE watching Get Shorty? I'm loving it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Christ on a loving cracker is the MST3K remake bad. I'm on my 3rd or 4th attempt to make it through the first episode and the only thing I've laughed at was a Fudgy the Whale joke that was clearly a recycled bit from Oswalt's standup from 15 years ago.

Get Mike Nelson back in to crack the whip, for gently caress's sake

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mike Nelson sucks hard.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Lurdiak posted:

Mike Nelson sucks hard.

i defy you to cite an episode that is funny on which he was not head writer

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I kept watching because Jeffrey Dean Morgan is awesome, and also it was hilarious how they kept giving him plot armor

fwiw Negan is still alive in the comic iirc, so he should have plot armour to an extent but lmbo the poo poo I've heard about the seasons with him he really should have died a fuckton of times

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

not a cult posted:

Is ANYONE watching Get Shorty? I'm loving it.

Yep I've been watching, it's pretty good! Any idea whether the show or the movie is actually similar to the book at all?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

olives black posted:

Christ on a loving cracker is the MST3K remake bad. I'm on my 3rd or 4th attempt to make it through the first episode and the only thing I've laughed at was a Fudgy the Whale joke that was clearly a recycled bit from Oswalt's standup from 15 years ago.

Get Mike Nelson back in to crack the whip, for gently caress's sake

Try the next one, Cry Wilderness. Reactions are mixed on whether Retilicus is crowded with quips or TOO crowded with quips, they even it out a bit as things go on.

And if you still don't like it, well, it's not like anybody's trapped you in a space station and is forcing you to watch them.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Yep I've been watching, it's pretty good! Any idea whether the show or the movie is actually similar to the book at all?

No idea, never read it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bruceski posted:

Try the next one, Cry Wilderness. Reactions are mixed on whether Retilicus is crowded with quips or TOO crowded with quips, they even it out a bit as things go on.

And if you still don't like it, well, it's not like anybody's trapped you in a space station and is forcing you to watch them.

All right, I'll give it another shot. Thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

olives black posted:

i defy you to cite an episode that is funny on which he was not head writer

They took all the MST3Ks off of hulu yesterday

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This Purge show is not very good. Like the movies aren't subtle but boy howdy this show is dumb

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why doesn't TV IV have a gimmicky Halloween name change?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Mike Nelson sucks hard.

So you’ve moved on to having the worst takes in every thread now?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

asecondduck posted:

It says TV RIP

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

asecondduck posted:

Mine says “TV RIP”

e: shut up mu zeta :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jennifer Goines is my fav new TV character of this decade

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Such an amazing show. Fantastic ending.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I finished it a few days ago and like its seriously one of my absolute favorite shows start to finish in a long time, maybe ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

So you’ve moved on to having the worst takes in every thread now?

It's not my fault your take-o-meter is broken.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Expanse spoiler... First episode name

New Terra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Tim Burton's daughter or someone that really loves Tim Burton/Hot Topic

Far more imaginative than that, being a real person doing their own thing, for one: https://www.myrecipes.com/news/get-to-know-christine-mcconnell