Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well in that case they definitely don’t rhyme unless you’re saying one or both in a danish accent that I’m not imagining properly

Even french spelling isn’t so hosed that peugeot rhymes with monsieur. It’s pøʒo

That is correct, Peugeot (o) and Monsieur (ø) do not rhyme.

However, a lot of Danes pronounce the former as if it rhymed with the latter, ie. both with ø. That is what I've been saying all along.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve now piqued my own pedant interest: do more people read “zh” with a silent h or as the sound from Jacques or Zhukov?

I’ve defaulted it to being Jacques because it makes sense compared to sh, but is that a spelling rule or something I made up?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Like in a vacuum? If I was suddenly shown only the letters "zh", I would probably say https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GioBjltdUnU

(or the jacques sound but that might be because ive only seen that letter combination in transliterations where it means that sound)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Sep 29, 2018

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This Aussie ad for Peugeot shows how it's generally pronounced in Aus and in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adrxt6aXJzY

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Zh always means that soft J sound to me (native speaker of American English)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Questionable etymology itt. Again.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
sh makes a /ʃ/ sound

/ʒ/ is the voiced equivalent of /ʃ/ and z is the voiced equivalent of s, so it makes sense that you'd write it out as "zh"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

Questionable etymology itt. Again.

None of this is etymology.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Splendid posted:

sh makes a /ʃ/ sound

/ʒ/ is the voiced equivalent of /ʃ/ and z is the voiced equivalent of s, so it makes sense that you'd write it out as "zh"

the letter(s) "_" make(s) a different phoneme /_/ depending what language you speak, so it makes sene that you'd write whatever the heck out as "zh"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just wanna know if zh is an english thing or something I made up/got from russian classes

E: questionable pronunciation itt

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Sep 29, 2018

Silmarildur
Jan 30, 2005

Thats what I'm Tolkien about.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just wanna know if zh is an english thing or something I made up/got from russian classes

I am almost certain I picked it up from studying Russian and it being the romanization of 'Ж'. As an aside, I always thought it was sort of neat that lacking a hard 'J', Russians write the sound as 'дж', or 'dzh'. It works surprisingly well. джаймс джойс.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think you need to look up transliteration because Ж can be transliterated however you like

Example: 周 is transliterated in english as zhou. Within Chinese, there are at least 3 different ways to pronounce that same "zh"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I know how transliteration works, I just want to know how the average anglophone reads "zh" because it's been "Ж" to me for a long enough time that I've used it in casual writing and want to know if it's normal to read it that way because if not, it's a Thing I Can't Believe I Just Figured Out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I... I don't know what normal is either.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*prompted because I was playing a goony sperg video game and my partner read Georgiy Zhukov's name as "Zoo"kov.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i am like 99% sure there has never existed a language where zhu is pronounced zoo

tell your partner theyre wrong forever

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

None of this is etymology.

I know.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I recall hearing of a guy called Gerta who wrote a lot like the guy called Go-eeth

Goethe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx for the final hint otherwise i dont think we woulda gotten it

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

gleebster posted:

I recall hearing of a guy called Gerta who wrote a lot like the guy called Go-eeth

Goethe

... Oh. poo poo.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Krankenstyle posted:

the letter(s) "_" make(s) a different phoneme /_/ depending what language you speak, so it makes sene that you'd write whatever the heck out as "zh"

I was quite clearly talking about English.

Conundrum solved.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Conundrum solved: everyone sucks at english, except the danes, who suck at svensk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

men fan det är ju tÿdligen inte erotiskt

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Silmarildur posted:

The experience gave me a lot more sympathy for Japanese people and their rubber/lover difficulties.

I know what you mean, but when I think of Japanese rubber/lover problems...

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I always thought it was "sword", when in fact it is pronounced "sword"

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Bogan Krkic posted:

This, but unironically.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
Bats are apparently not blind at all.

Welp.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Bogan Krkic posted:

:shuckyes:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ok, now do "mischievous".

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

No soap, radio!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

bell jar posted:

No soap, radio!

Lol! That goonsir is very funny.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

numerrik posted:

Lol! That goonsir is very funny.

Thanks a lot, [now I have to clean Mountain Dew off my keyboard/I actually didnt want to sleep tonight]!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you forgot "gently caress the ocean"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
road near me in america: spoede
I have no idea how I am supposed to pronounce it
I say "spöd" because it is fun to say but I'm probably wrong. It's probably just "spode"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

I say "spöd" because it is fun to say but I'm probably wrong. It's probably just "spode"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYWRu8uT8z8

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

you forgot "gently caress the ocean"

Nuke hygiene from orbit it's the only way to POOP SOCK! :byodame:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bell jar posted:

No soap, radio!

Mexican Radio?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Aleph Null posted:

That's usually how an umluat is transliterated in English, yes. CF u-Boat Admiral Dönitz's name is pronounced in English as "Durnits" or "Donuts" when actually it's halfway between, a vowel native English speakers can't quite get right. I assume "spöd" is the same and is halfway between the American colloquial word for taters and "sperd," phonetically.

Edit: I often go to south Louisiana for work, snd every time have to explain to my copilot that "Rue Lois IV" is French for "Louis the 14th's street."

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Oct 3, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chillbro Baggins posted:

That's usually how an umluat is transliterated in English, yes. CF u-Boat Admiral Dönitz's name is pronounced in English as "Durnits" or "Donuts" when actually it's halfway between, a vowel native English speakers can't quite get right.

Which is silly because most anglophones pronounce Ö just fine in words like... word, for instance (of course some gently caress it up with adding an r sound in there but even they produce the Ö just fine before the r sound).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Which is silly because most anglophones pronounce Ö just fine in words like... word, for instance (of course some gently caress it up with adding an r sound in there but even they produce the Ö just fine before the r sound).

There's already an r sound in word.