Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My big worry isn't whether or not Halkenberg will compromise his principles, but whether the war itself will allow him too. I've said this before, but it's worth reiterating: the succession war is all but explicitly confirmed to be a large-scale nen ritual; one which has continued since time immemorial. I've argued the case for this before - you can sift through my thoughts here - along with the obvious repercussions of Halkenberg failing to fulfill his duty.

Halkenberg and his siblings aren't just fighting to secure the prosperity of the nation, they're fighting to defuse a potential nen whiplash the size of which would be astronomical. It's worse than just "Kill your infant sibling or you can't fix the country;" we're hypothetically looking at "Kill your infant sibling or everyone in your country dies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

My big worry isn't whether or not Halkenberg will compromise his principles, but whether the war itself will allow him too. I've said this before, but it's worth reiterating: the succession war is all but explicitly confirmed to be a large-scale nen ritual; one which has continued since time immemorial. I've argued the case for this before - you can sift through my thoughts here - along with the obvious repercussions of Halkenberg failing to fulfill his duty.

Halkenberg and his siblings aren't just fighting to secure the prosperity of the nation, they're fighting to defuse a potential nen whiplash the size of which would be astronomical. It's worse than just "Kill your infant sibling or you can't fix the country;" we're hypothetically looking at "Kill your infant sibling or everyone in your country dies."

Ah, that is a pretty good concern to bring up; it seems to be implied that the country receives some sort of good fortune from the ritual, but something so powerful as to affect a country, even a small one, must also have some extreme conditions and/or vicious drawbacks, yeah.

This is also potentially a major problem with how Kacho, Fugetsu, and Melody's escape plan is about to be executed. All sorts of poo poo could go wrong there, and Kacho's nen beast is possibly the most mysterious one of them all; we haven't seen anything of it, unless those weird jellyfish things in the "nen beast parade" back at the start of this arc were from it, or even anything implied to be from it the way the first wave of blood-draining deaths were believed to be by Woble's beast before Silent Majority entered the scene. I'm not concerned about the beast being "evil", since they all since to reflect their masters in multiple ways and underneath her facade Kacho's still a kind girl, but it's a completely unknown factor in an already-dangerous situation.

Though on that topic, Fugetsu was able to leave the floor she was on through her beast without affecting the ritual, as far as we know. This raises the question of what "breaking" it might entail, since she got pretty far outside of the imposed battlegrounds before being returned, with her nen beast being what ferried her out no less.

I think this was brought up before too, actually, possibly by me even, but it seems like it's worth reiterating given how long the hiatuses are and how people might have forgotten a lot of this, etc.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 2, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think the ritual is always performed on a giant cruise ship. fugetsu temporarily got away from the site, but they are still on a vehicle and it wasn't that much physical distance. for that matter, who knows if physical distance is relevant to the ritual? it probably won't even come up since no one is leaving the ship.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As morally dubious as King Nasubi has been shown to be, the whole ship setup actually smacks of an attempt to minimize the damages. One can imagine a previous succession war with mass casualties and whole cities being turned into battlegrounds. Perhaps multiple cities in a row, as one prince fled and another prince followed.

They're risking the lives of everyone on board, but also only the people on board.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bad Seafood posted:

As morally dubious as King Nasubi has been shown to be, the whole ship setup actually smacks of an attempt to minimize the damages. One can imagine a previous succession war with mass casualties and whole cities being turned into battlegrounds. Perhaps multiple cities in a row, as one prince fled and another prince followed.

They're risking the lives of everyone on board, but also only the people on board.

Explains why hes willing to have the hunters on board as well. And if things go to poo poo and the pot turns into the nen equivalent of a nuclear bomb itll go off on the dark continent.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Just started watching the 2011 series in September, this poo poo is really good and I got a bit obsessed. Halfway through the Chimera Ant arc and whyyyy is this poo poo so long an horribly paced now? Why did we need to fully flesh out 40 different ants and a new assembly cast of characters? What feels like 50 episodes in and the Chairman finally started fighting the King at the end of the last episode I watched. Feel like twenty episodes worth of chaff coulda been cut if all the intra-ant politiking and being a jerkass was just alluded to and they were kept a bit more alien.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

no, its good.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the chimera ant arc is good specifically because of that stuff

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Chimera Ant arc's got a lot going for it, and when it's good it's really good, but it absolutely had bits that needed to be cut; especially during the first third or so.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Imagine if Sale-Sale wasn't confined to his own quarters for days while his nen beast was spewing smoke. The rate in which it could spread influence is technically exponential as it will snowball as people leave his presence to return to their families and other duties. Likewise the attempts of the other princes to take the lives of their siblings is heavily restricted as getting caught means arrest, and the means of acting against each other is heavily reduced to moving small numbers of people around. Outright civil war could have been the result if Nasubi hadn't put everyone into essentially a giant urn of their own to perform this Kodoku.

Something interesting to not too is how the bullet failed to kill Nasubi. It crumpled as if hitting a wall, while the bullet Halkenburg fired on himself was still intact and retained it's conical shape. I don't think Nasubi's nen beast was responsible for stopping the bullet, I think much in the way you cannot harm a Joystation once someone is playing Greed Island, or how Morel couldn't break the hourglass in Cheetu's game of tag, Nasubi being part of the ritual is a rule that is being enforced by the ritual itself. He literally isn't allowed to die until this is over and the succession war grants him physical immunity until such a time as it's completed, possibly because of his role in collecting and interring the bodies of those who have dropped out.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think my problem was I didn't realize princes could ever get in touch their Nen beasts so much as just be passively protected by their effects

we might see some poo poo if dudes keep "awakening" and unlocking their Nen beasts' abilities
I do think Halkenburg's Guardian Spirit is the most proactive of any we've seen, going so far as to knock out Benjamin's guard in preparation for the attack on the king. Tse's horse, which actively scouts vents looking for intruders is second most proactive and I think it indicates both Halk and Tse's paranoia as the former spent his formative years being targeted by people, and the latter has a blatant distrust of those around him.

However, I think Halk's hatsu is a pleasant combination of his nen beast's effect to basically create a giant well of aura to pull from, and Halkenburg's own personality to draw on the support of others to execute his own ambitions. I don't think this is a "level up" so much as what happens when you make your power after you know your Nen Beasts. However, I do agree with the notion that we have a spectrum of Guardian spirit abilities ranging from completely autonomous abilities (Momoze's free bear, Stoner Prince's traps (on paper)) and abilities that can be more directly utilized by their princes (Fuugetsu's doorway, Halk's feather tattoos).

I don't think necessarily think that nen beasts have secondary abilities unlocked over time so much as it's up to the princes to figure out how to use their singular abilities to their benefit. For the ones that already developed nen, their Guardian Spirit's abilities are still unknown and it's possible they could run counter the the princes own abilities. For the ones who haven't gained a hatsu, they can do like Halk and synergize with their own creatures once they understand the power of each of them.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

All Halkenberg needs to do is shoot all the other princes and they’ll become loyal to him. It’s a non lethal way to win the succession war... so you know it won’t happen.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Have we ever found out what the one sin is in Tysons love and peace philosophy?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Just started watching the 2011 series in September, this poo poo is really good and I got a bit obsessed. Halfway through the Chimera Ant arc and whyyyy is this poo poo so long an horribly paced now? Why did we need to fully flesh out 40 different ants and a new assembly cast of characters? What feels like 50 episodes in and the Chairman finally started fighting the King at the end of the last episode I watched. Feel like twenty episodes worth of chaff coulda been cut if all the intra-ant politiking and being a jerkass was just alluded to and they were kept a bit more alien.

Without spoiling anything for you, I think that the pacing of Ant arc makes sense when you view it as a whole, because the way it was done strongly ties in to the themes of the arc. I'd love to revisit this with you when you finish the arc and see what your thoughts are.

(Also as a random aside, it's really funny how much overlap I tend to find between people who like HxH/The Promised Neverland and people who play mastery-focused games like roguelikes and Battlerite. There's probably some sort of psychological profile we all fit.)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Have we ever found out what the one sin is in Tysons love and peace philosophy?

"Thou shall not wear white after Labor Day"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

God I havent read this in forever. Camilla coming back from the dead is a Hatsu because she knows Nen and doesnt have anything to do with her Guardian Beast right?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Meme Emulator posted:

God I havent read this in forever. Camilla coming back from the dead is a Hatsu because she knows Nen and doesnt have anything to do with her Guardian Beast right?

Yep. We still have no idea what her beast does.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive always assumed that once you learn Nen you can interact a little bit more with your Guardian Beast, Im really curious to see what happens when Tsendderreich can see his.

I wonder if the current rules of the succession war are the same rules that had been used in Kakin until antiquity. The only reason I say that is because the machine Nasubi stuck Momozes body in looks really modern and it looks like hes absolutely got to get 13 corpses to do whatever hes trying to do since there were exactly 13 pods.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 2, 2018

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

All Halkenberg needs to do is shoot all the other princes and they’ll become loyal to him. It’s a non lethal way to win the succession war... so you know it won’t happen.

halkenburg cant actually shoot any of his siblings with the nen arrows since the power is from the guardian beast

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive always assumed that once you learn Nen you can interact a little bit more with your Guardian Beast, Im really curious to see what happens when Tsendderreich can see his.

I wonder if the current rules of the succession war are the same rules that had been used in Kakin until antiquity. The only reason I say that is because the machine Nasubi stuck Momozes body in looks really modern and it looks like hes absolutely got to get 13 corpses to do whatever hes trying to do since there were exactly 13 pods.

There are 14 pods, actually. I assume the 14th is for Nasubi himself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it wouldn't be particularly surprising if cammy's nen beast shores up the weaknesses inherent to her hatsu.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't it stated that Cammy's Guardian Nen Beast is some type of manipulation type?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All connected to the user's personalities.

Cammy is utterly selfish and thinks it's unfair when the world doesn't go exactly how she wants it to.

Tubs is a scholar and seems to have an affinity for chemistry?

Laz is a druggie.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cheston posted:

Yep. We still have no idea what her beast does.

Well, not exactly; a little info-box told us it's a coercive Manipulator that takes people over once certain conditions are met, but that's it.

Meme Emulator posted:

Not being able to see the Nens beast is one of the conditions of the pot, actually; that's why Benjamin had to ask Balsalmico what his was like despite already knowing Nen, and why he didn't see Camilla's (or vice versa) when they were all together, etc. Which is also probably a big part of why most are autonomous or passive unless their masters' personalities and desires influence them otherwise (Halkenberg's revolutionary goals, Fugetsu's desire to reunite with her sister and escape the war with her). Which really just makes Halkenberg's beast all the more interesting, since they're clearly meant to be bodyguards for the princes and the future king. Then again, Halkenberg doesn't want to be king, so his Nen beast not fitting the standard of a "kingly" one is pretty appropriate.

Other important rules regarding the beasts, they can't attack each other or humans also guarded by Nen beasts (from the pot, presumably, though this wasn't explicitly stated). Just in case somenoe was wondering why none of the beasts have gone and tried to kill another prince directly or something.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TurkeyFried posted:

Fully expecting Luzurus, Tyson or Tubeppa to bite it before the next banquet.

Tubeppa has a very restrictive ability, the worst possible ally, and her guards haven't really stood out. In a meta level, she's had the least screentime of the remaining princes. She might be planning something though.

Luzurus has also had very little screentime, and his resources are more limited. He doesn't seem ambitious or smart. The only things he's got going for him are Bassho and the possibility that the other princes don't see him as a threat either.

Tyson has one of the more experienced hunters on her team, but neither him or the other hunter seem that invested in protecting her. The rest are under her spell and will probably go above and beyond to protect her. She could stay for the long run if her men learn nen and it gets enhanced by her beast.

Sale Sale's gonna die or get arrested at the banquet after doing something stupid.

Bet I end up being wrong on all counts

Im having fun reading through the thread and seeing what everyone is imagining will happen at or after the banquet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Togashi wrote the arc by expanding things beyond the scope that he was sure he was able to handle, and then challenging himself to see if he could nail the landing.

He was successful at doing so but it was a pretty close thing.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I agree with you. Once the assault on the King's Palace starts, the show moves to a painfully slow pacing. Everything starts to get narrated by an off-screen narrator (why?) and each episode feels like it only introduces 10-15 minutes of new material while the rest is recaps. I almost couldn't finish the show.

Which is a shame, because some of the best scenes of the show occur then.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

halkenburg cant actually shoot any of his siblings with the nen arrows since the power is from the guardian beast
It's a question of if Halkenburg making this his hatsu circumvents "Guardian spirits don't directly attack other people with a guardian spirit". This isn't his monster launching the attack, it's him firing the bow. But the energy is derived from his own spirit. I guess I would also ask if Tubeppa could use a synthesized poison to kill another prince.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

In the anime there are parts in the CA arc that are too slow, yeah, it's like they started to slow down the pace to do more episodes. In the manga it was better (once you could read all the volumes in one go, without hiatuses, lol)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually if you spend an episode narrating Ikalgo's thought processes that makes your anime Greatest Anime of All Time

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate-Senpai posted:

All connected to the user's personalities.

Cammy is utterly selfish and thinks it's unfair when the world doesn't go exactly how she wants it to.

Tubs is a scholar and seems to have an affinity for chemistry?

Laz is a druggie.

To continue from this, since I wanted to write about this anyway, all the beasts reflect their princes in power, aesthetics, and personality. Benjamin's is unknown except for appearance, and Kacho and Woble's beasts are complete unknowns, but for the others:

Camilla: Frilly polyp monster with a coercive Manipulation ability. Pretty and elegant, which hides its dominating nature. Pretty appropriate for Cammy, as we've seen.

Zhang Lei: Gold-plated dharmachakra mixed with Wanyudo. A Conjurer that creates one coin per day; the owner of a coin can receive different abilities when meeting different conditions. It reflects Zhang Lei's both Buddhist faith and outwardly peaceful nature, and his greed and opulence, and suggests ill intentions beneath the surface, among other things. As Shimano described him before, he's a man who's "both kind and cruel", genuinely preferring the path of nonviolence and being willing to deal with commoners and such directly, but also still prideful in some regards and perfectly willing to kill if necessary, both the beast and the man made up of seemingly contradictory qualities.

Tserriednich: Over-sexualized murder-horse, "marks" people by wounding them for some unknown ability. Tserriednich is a misogynistic serial killer who butchers women, so... Yeah.

Tubeppa: Frog-tank, a Transmuter whose ability requires a "partner", synthesizes chemicals within its body. Tubeppa is a scientist and seems to value cooperation, wanting to ally with Kurapika after realizing how clever he is, as well as seeking at least a temporary alliance with Tserriednich to deal with the upper three princes, so needing a "research partner" for her ability makes sense.

Tyson: Giant heart with little wings and one eye, and a massive sphincter from which it spawns tons of little gecko-tadpole things as part of its diffusive Emission ability. The "fairies" latch onto people who know about Tyson's teachings, taking aura from them and giving them happiness in return, those who've read/know/follow more of The Book of Tyson receiving proportionally more happiness. "Harsh punishment" is dealt to those who break her one taboo. It's a "cute" Nen beast that spreads happiness to those who follow her teachings, which seems pretty obvious, though there are some interesting implications here actually. Her beast developing a power to facilitate the spread of her teachings shows that she genuinely values them, rather than it just a strange whimsy of hers, while the bit about "harsh punishment" suggests a darker side we have yet to see in the naive, love-obsessed prince. We don't know what it's collecting aura for either, but her Hunter bodyguards speculated it might be a Spirit Bomb-like thing. (Man, how did Tyson end up being the one I wrote so much about compared to the others?)

Luzurus: As above, it's a giant earwig with a Conjuration ability that has semi-coercive Manipulation components, making traps for people by creating what they want. Seems to fit his drug use and whatnot, though his conversation with Basho suggests there's more to him than just being a druggie. We don't really know enough about him to read too much into it.

Sale-Sale: The party ballA giant, floating orb of flesh covered with mouths from which it often spewed smoke. This smoke was part of its Manipulation ability; those who breathed in enough smoke, quantity and time required depending on their initial attitude towards the prince, eventually had their dispositions changed to be more positive towards Sale-Sale, also spawning a tiny clone of the beast above their heads that similarly released smoke, albeit in a smaller radius. These in turn could infect others, further spreading the beast's influence. Besides looking really lewd, the beast reflected Sale-Sale's desire to indulge in pleasure and such. It was also the one beast that was completely passive, not even defending itself from Predator, just like how Sale-Sale did nothing but gently caress all day while his mother took care of everything for him.

Halkenberg: A feathered, cyclopean monster, possibly capable of shooting its feathers at people. An Enhancer with a joint-type ability, giving people markings that, if they're loyal to Halkenberg, remain on the subject; when more with marks gather together, their auras grow, and when they're all unified in their will it can reach "the absolute top" of Nen abilities, but there are also speculated restrictions, most likely being breaking Halkenberg's morals, with presumably heavy consequences. The ability also has Manipulation aspects, however; those who are marked can be made unconscious by it, and have their memories altered so that they don't remember being marked, whether or not they're loyal and the mark remains on them. Halkenberg himself bears a mark as well, and seems to be bound by the same conditions. The shared aura reflects Halkenberg's ideals and his goal of a revolution in Kakin, giving his followers strength if they're united in purpose, with the prince himself also bearing a mark reflecting how his final goal does not put him above anyone else and has him abdicating his royal title, and how he's participating in it directly himself. The Manipulation, meanwhile, stems from his paranoia and caution, and how despite his noble goals he is willing to use tricky and underhanded means (like how he managed to get to his father for his assassination attempt this last chapter).

Fugetsu: A giant worm-like creature that creates extradimensional pathways for Fugetsu to travel through, the door to which resembles the entrance to a playground structure, the "Magic Worm", she and Kacho used to play in as children. It's pretty much a living, actually-magic version of the Magic Worm, and a means by which she's been able to reunite with her sister, and possibly to even escape the succession war and save her. Not much to interpret here.

Momoze: The giant hamster-bear-mouse, whose semi-coercive Nen ability involved asking someone if they're "free"; those who responded were then possessed by a miniature version of the beast only they could see, which would repeatedly ask them if they're free until they responded in the affirmative, whereupon it hijacked their bodies. The one time we saw this used, it drove its victim to murder the other guards prince Woble. It's a cute monster whose appearance hides its bloodthirsty nature, much like how Momoze, despite being a child and seeming rather demure, intended to participate in the succession war, murder and all, and looked down on her mother and brother for not having the "strength" to become king. However, as one might expect from the Nen beast of a child, its short-sighted rampage against Woble's guards exhausted Momoze and left her without the energy to maintain consciousness or her Nen beast, leaving her vulnerable and causing her to be the first person eliminated from the succession war. (Interestingly, since it required people to acknowledge it, the beast's power could only affect Nen-users, and furthermore, since the princes can't see each other's beasts, it wouldn't be able to affect the ones who can use Nen as well either, though of course they're not supposed to affect the other princes anyway. Whether this was another short-sighted mistake, a restriction to make its control more powerful, or a deliberate feature to guarantee its ability to find powerful targets to capture, we'll probably never know, given that Momoze is dead now.)

Marayam: A dragon whose form has shifted more than once; initially it was a long, slender creature, like a fantasy dragon, that had some fins and looked kind of friendly and goofy, but grew considerably larger and thicker once the voyage was underway, and seemed wary of Biscuit and Marayam. After Momoze's death, it became much larger and bulkier, as well as quadrupedal, then later shrunk down a lot into something a lot smaller and more squat, but still proportionally bulky, now being covered in thorns, and is openly hostile to those who approach it. While any previous abilities it may have had are unknown, presently it has either a Conjuration or Emission ability that has isolated Marayam's chambers and those within from the rest of the world. As Biscuit and Hanzo pretty much explicitly spelled out, it's been reacting to Marayam's fear, confusion, and trauma, changing from a silly storybook creature to an aggressive beast, raising its hackles at anyone who approaches, so that it can protect Marayam, his mother, and possibly the others serving them as well. It's basically a manifestation of the poor kid's PTSD at this point.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the talking squid that doesn't wanna murk a giant man-eating jackass. I did, however, realize that these scenes go down much better with double speed. So that should hopefully prevent burnout. Also I thought for sure that Uvo wasn't gonna be actually dead given the way they framed a couple shots of his death + the whole 11th calendar rising part of the prophecy. The brain worms were pretty cool though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So in thinking how this banquet would play out for Kacho and Fuugetsu.

Melody is in a bad spot, her orders are to stop Kacho from escaping and the other hunter is in charge of it and seems unlikely to aid Melody. But she still has her performance and she did ask that if possible her solo should be played over the intercom. We know her nen abilities work by transmitting through sound so I can imagine she's going to attempt some form of mass hypnosis or hallucination.

Fuugestu is the key to all of this in leaving, her work has the potential to get everyone out of the area safely, however it's not an instantaneos transportation, and the sisters will be surrounded by people and their bodyguards even if the royal forces aren't present. The most obvious place to try and teleport would be in the exit to the banquet hall, but it's monitored by camera and the guards are close. They have their eyes set on some time during the performance which should give them enough space to open a door, wait for Fuugetsu to activate the second door, and then for both to make their escape. The timing of when and how is going to lie up to whatever Kacho comes up with and what time Melody can buy.

The problem is where the girls might end up. It's not known why Fuu ended up on the third Tier, maybe her worm has a distance limitation, maybe the worm itself can't move Fuu far enough away to not participate (that makes the least sense to me but is possible), or maybe Kacho told her to go that far as their first test which is why Fuu was so insistent to speak to her. Then again she's very dependent on her sister so it makes sense either way. What I think will happen is that the girls will actually make their escape and wind up on one of the lower levels again, this is important because they can't flee from the boat otherwise the entire ritual might get hosed and there goes that plot. But realistically it's because of some spatial limitation the wormhole might have or maybe kacho panics when choosing a destination and they just warp somewhere closer.

The other reason I want the two of them to make it to the lower level is because Morena and her cult are down there; and last time I checked each prince was 50 points. Meaning any one of them who can double tap two teenage girls gets to be their own patient zero in one fell swoop.

The last thing is some idle speculation on Kacho's Guardian Spirit. Fuu manifested a creature born from her desire to have her sister tell her what to do, as well as her desire for escape. She has spent the entire boat ride fawning over her sister's pictures and wishing to return to the time when they were just having fun. Kacho has been doing much of the same, but she's spent her time doing much in the same, but she's also been playing the role of the bitchy teen in order to draw aggro, as well as create a situation where if the choice comes down to her or her sister; the guards will choose Fuugetsu.

I think that can work for Kacho, in the scenarios I'm imagining if the girls do escape than it would prompt an immediate search of the ship and there isn't anywhere to hide. This could be postponed if maybe people think they are dead so maybe her Guardian Spirit is something that can create a body double that looks like Kacho and Fuu as a way to draw attention. Obviously the corpse's identity would be figured out, like if it doesn't trigger a flame when inserted into those ritual capsules. Whatever goes down during this banquet, I'm speculating a fake-out where it looks like the girls are dead and it turns out to be an illusion or something.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the talking squid that doesn't wanna murk a giant man-eating jackass. I did, however, realize that these scenes go down much better with double speed. So that should hopefully prevent burnout. Also I thought for sure that Uvo wasn't gonna be actually dead given the way they framed a couple shots of his death + the whole 11th calendar rising part of the prophecy. The brain worms were pretty cool though.
At this point I really would recommend just reading the manga because I never watched the anime, but if pacing is a problem nothing fixes that more than just reading as fast as you want and not having to hear sped-up audio.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I don’t want anything to happen to Melody

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

The other reason I want the two of them to make it to the lower level is because Morena and her cult are down there; and last time I checked each prince was 50 points. Meaning any one of them who can double tap two teenage girls gets to be their own patient zero in one fell swoop.

You monster.

Anyway, a few idle observations, one of which I think was already mentioned here:

Assuming it can be used on his fellow princes despite its relation to his Nen beast, Halkenburg's new power might be what beats Camilla; if she's not dead, Cat Name won't take effect. It'll definitely be good in his fight against Benjamin; even if it can't be used against Benjamin himself, being able to steal Benjamin's men without killing them and thus passing their abilities to Benjamin could make a big difference there.

Meanwhile, this was last chapter admittedly, but I just realized that the death of Sale-Sale's Nen beast itself is kind of odd. We've been speculating about the ritual nature of the succession war, and the Nen beasts are connected to it, but the party ball just died without any major effects. I suppose that, while they're created as part of the ceremony, their continued existence (at least until their prince also dies) isn't essential to it, and they have no special protections themselves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sale2 wasn't even the first to die, and the beasts die when their hosts do. weird poo poo probably happens after they are all dead, but there's nothing preventing their deaths (except for cammy).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nen beasts dying doesn't seem weird to me. the object here is to kill the other princes, so their nen beasts being immortal wouldn't make a lot of sense. the nen beasts are just another tool at their disposal

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i feel like there's no way to escape. this ritual has happened plenty of times before, some invisible wall is probably built in around the jar or something.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So... Don't read spoilers people.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Turin Turambar posted:

So... Don't read spoilers people.

Don't you loving Barbra Streisand me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The whole "big new cast of characters in each new arc" is one of the things I like most about HxH. Togashi is just very creative in the way he explores completely new and unique settings in each arc, and in a way that isn't even necessary given the popularity of the series (that is, he could just phone it in with a more stereotypical shounen plot at this point and it'd still sell, but instead he does stuff like remove the two main characters and introduce a zillion new ones in this boat killing game).