Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sanford posted:

I’ve got an Audible credit and roadworks have currently blessed me with an hour each-way commute, so I’ll give it a go. Thanks!

It’s actually one of my favorite King books, but I’d almost call it YA. Some really great characters and some genuinely terrifying moments (on a YA scale). Wolf! God-pound-it! Right here-and-now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Short story titled "The Black Hairs" or something very similar.

About a man who conspires with another man's wife to kill her husband who has a gross hairy back. They sleep together in his bed but keep finding traces of his hairs in the bed no matter how much they clean it. The couple slowly become emaciated and the woman eventually dies. Is the bed haunted? No, the "black hairs" are parasitic worms and every night the couple slept in the bed the worms would crawl up out of the horsehair mattress where they nested and drink the couple's blood.

Can't remember the author. Help pls.

He also wrote a story from a dog's perspective about trying to cross a road.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Almost sounds like the Stacy Keach Hair segment from Body Bags (1993), but then not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Bags_(film)#%22Hair%22

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

Almost sounds like the Stacy Keach Hair segment from Body Bags (1993), but then not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Bags_(film)#%22Hair%22

Yeah it's nothing like that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I think I asked about this before and there was no luck.

Guy called to his old professors/mentor/coworkers house. Turns out the other guy has invented a machine to prove life after death. Bad news is it's your psyche/soul travels outwards from earth till it lands in another living creature where it goes insane and you scream for all eternity as 'you' are now a monster. Think it ends with professor/mentor/coworker killing himself and them tracking the progress of the soul

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This is a long shot, but it's not really googleable and it came up in conversation today, so I figure I'll ask the thread:

I'm trying to remember the name of a children's book (not sure if it was a picture book or a chapter book that was read to me) that I was exposed to as a small child, sometime in the mid- to late '80's. It was about a group or family of characters (possibly bear-people?) who had come to Earth from space. One of the characters was homesick and would stave off her homesickness by looking at a collection of little knickknacks and mementos from home, which she/the book called her "cheerings."
(That's the part that sticks in the mind, because my mom still uses the word "cheerings" to describe that sort of knickknack, and today I caught myself using it and had to explain this weird family term.) Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I read it about 5 years ago, it was a short Sci-Fi story about a man who gets captured by aliens. His brain is removed from his body and put into a flight simulator, with the end goal to attack a human settlement and trigger a war. He used to be a computer programmer and manage to escape the simulator and reprogram it, and eventually turns on his captors. It seems that this story was part of a larger set of books I've been trying to find. I also believe it had War in the title.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mrens posted:

I read it about 5 years ago, it was a short Sci-Fi story about a man who gets captured by aliens. His brain is removed from his body and put into a flight simulator, with the end goal to attack a human settlement and trigger a war. He used to be a computer programmer and manage to escape the simulator and reprogram it, and eventually turns on his captors. It seems that this story was part of a larger set of books I've been trying to find. I also believe it had War in the title.

I put too much time into this... I think you have a confused story...

I think what you're looking for is "WINGS OUT OF SHADOW" By Fred Saberhagen. I think that story was in an anthology called 'The Berserker Wars' It's not quite that but it does have a guy captured by aliens with a flight simulator that turns it on the aliens but the details are vastly different. You can read the story online at http://www.baen.com/Chapters/0743498860/0743498860___9.htm and see if that's it or not.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Could also be Keith Laumer's A Plague of Demons, or maybe a mixed memory of both.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

No that's not it. Sorry Hugh.

Also probably not Plauge of Demons, would have to be more recent.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mrens posted:

its The End of All Things by John Scalzi, part of his Old MAns War series.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

That's it, thanks.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I read a short story ... sometime within the past decade, probably within the past five years. Definitely first encountered it online rather than in print.

It was a sort of fantasy horror story where a guy is like, starving in the woods and steals some food from some weird hunters only to find out he's been eating the flesh from the place where a centaur's horse part meets the human part.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I read a short story ... sometime within the past decade, probably within the past five years. Definitely first encountered it online rather than in print.

It was a sort of fantasy horror story where a guy is like, starving in the woods and steals some food from some weird hunters only to find out he's been eating the flesh from the place where a centaur's horse part meets the human part.

I remember this story. Once you ate it you could never enjoy anything else, it was so sinfully delicious, like a hosed up mermaid flesh thing.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

I remember this story. Once you ate it you could never enjoy anything else, it was so sinfully delicious, like a hosed up mermaid flesh thing.

Yes! That's the same one. I thought it was in Beneath Ceaseless Skies but I haven't been able to find it. At least someone else remembers it, if not the title.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
y'all need to read the bible or something god drat. your nice old preschool teacher didn't teach you to read so you could grow up to read about people getting sexually hosed up from eating centaur meat

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

NinjaDebugger posted:

This is an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NinjaDebugger posted:

This is me and soursop

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Esme posted:

This is an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Also the Fairy Fruit in Lud-in-the-Mist

chernobyl kinsman posted:

y'all need to read the bible or something god drat. your nice old preschool teacher didn't teach you to read so you could grow up to read about people getting sexually hosed up from eating centaur meat

Hey, no kinkshaming

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also the Fairy Fruit in Lud-in-the-Mist

it's from christina rosetti's the goblin market and its a metaphor for loving

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

it's from christina rosetti's the goblin market and its a metaphor for loving

I talked about that in the Lud-in-the-Mist thread!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
For a colleague:

Can you help me find a short story about New York about trash collectors not picking up trash so now New Yorkers just live on trash.

Sounds like a Barthelme, but I am no doubt wrong.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Trying to remember which book has a character who dislikes looking downstream when standing on a bridge because it makes them feel a sense of loss as the water flows away from them.

I think it may have been an Iain Banks book, but my wife recognised the idea and thought it may be from a movie or TV show, so I could be entirely off.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maybe The Crow Road? I feel like the landscape is a character itself in that book and it would fit in thematically.

But also it's not a super profound observation so it's probably in a ton of books.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Thank you for the avatar tweak, mystery person.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
When I was in kindergarten the teacher showed us a bunch of pitches by an author, not even short stories, but pitches they made. They were kinda spooky, one was about a woman who was gonna carve a pumpkin but it would get brighter when she got closer. Another story was a house taking off like a rocketship I think

there were more but that's all I remember

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

When I was in kindergarten the teacher showed us a bunch of pitches by an author, not even short stories, but pitches they made. They were kinda spooky, one was about a woman who was gonna carve a pumpkin but it would get brighter when she got closer. Another story was a house taking off like a rocketship I think

there were more but that's all I remember

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, by Chris Van Allsburg. Reprinted in 2011 as The Chronicles of Harris Burdick, with the illustrations/pitches turned into full short stories by Stephen King, Lemony Snicket, Gregory Maguire, et al.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, by Chris Van Allsburg. Reprinted in 2011 as The Chronicles of Harris Burdick, with the illustrations/pitches turned into full short stories by Stephen King, Lemony Snicket, Gregory Maguire, et al.

thanks

any particularly good ones that were made

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

thanks

any particularly good ones that were made

Chronicles is just one book. It has all the illustrations and text from the original but also the short stories they were adapted into. Haven't read it since it came out but I enjoyed it at the time. King's story in it was really good

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Dangit, this was finally one I knew and someone beat me to it.

In 4th grade our teacher had us all pick our favorite picture from that book and write a short story about it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Dangit, this was finally one I knew and someone beat me to it.

In 4th grade our teacher had us all pick our favorite picture from that book and write a short story about it.

Come to think of it K was too young. What state you go to school?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Alan Smithee posted:

Come to think of it K was too young. What state you go to school?

Montana.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nope

wonder if it was like, a teacher thing going around

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I'm trying to remember a scifi book that featured a detective from Earth who went to another planet, Mars I think but not positive, to solve a mystery (murder I think). Earth was overcrowded and this detective was real freaked out by all the open spaces. At one point he uses a bathroom that's all video walls an he can't handle it. I've been trying to find it for a few weeks now but have been coming up blank.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BallerBallerDillz posted:

I'm trying to remember a scifi book that featured a detective from Earth who went to another planet, Mars I think but not positive, to solve a mystery (murder I think). Earth was overcrowded and this detective was real freaked out by all the open spaces. At one point he uses a bathroom that's all video walls an he can't handle it. I've been trying to find it for a few weeks now but have been coming up blank.

Maybe one of Asimov's Elijah Baley books? Baley's agoraphobia is a major plot point, especially in The Naked Sun and The Robots of Dawn.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah, sounds like The Naked Sun.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm looking for the author of an urban fantasy book titled Underworld or Underground? It's set underneath New York City and was published in the 80s or 90s.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm looking for the author of an urban fantasy book titled Underworld or Underground? It's set underneath New York City and was published in the 80s or 90s.

Downsiders by Neal Shusterman?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Down Town by Viido Polikarpus and Tappan King? Came out in '85.

vvv Yay! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Runcible Cat posted:

Down Town by Viido Polikarpus and Tappan King? Came out in '85.

That's it!
Thank you.