Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uncanny has three writers though. Brisson, Rosenberg, and Thompson. And Jessica Jones isn't a regular ongoing. It's on hiatus for a bit because it's on that new online to trade model they're trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Apologies, as i'm sure this comes up a lot, but I got a free month of Unlimited with Spider-Man. The last time I seriously read comics was around Secret War. I also read Ultimates and Ultimates 2 after that, Bendis's X-Men, and have mostly kept up with events.

What's come out in the last few years that are worth checking out on Unlimited ?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
So I know it might be annoying how I use this thread as a running plug for stuff I have coming out and I'm sorry, but I have a backup in Superior Octopus #1 tomorrow drawn by Mark fuckin' Bagley!!!!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

So I know it might be annoying how I use this thread as a running plug for stuff I have coming out and I'm sorry, but I have a backup in Superior Octopus #1 tomorrow drawn by Mark fuckin' Bagley!!!!

Holy poo poo, that’s the dream for any Spidey fan and/or writer - congrats!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Seriously, how many concurrent comics are that? This, Mr. & Mrs. X, West Coast Avengers, Jessica Jones, I think there was another upcoming X-men book, the Nancy Drew book. Am I forgetting something here?

Jessica Jones has an unusual publishing schedule and I'm willing to bet one or both of either Mr. and Mrs. X, or West Coast Avengers doesn't last longer than her Hawkeye did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I like hearing about your stuff, it'd be annoying if Kelly Thompson came into this thread every time she had a new issue, but until you're writing five different monthlies don't worry about it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I like hearing about your stuff, it'd be annoying if Kelly Thompson came into this thread every time she had a new issue, but until you're writing five different monthlies don't worry about it.

I would welcome Kelly Thompson into this thread anytime.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I've just now realized that it might not be in Ock #1- I thought it was, but I can't seem to find any official confirmation on that. Might be Spider-Geddon #1 next week instead.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
/\/\ F

Codependent Poster posted:

I would welcome Kelly Thompson into this thread anytime.

Yeah totally, one of my favorite writers.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That's dope as hell. Congrats!!!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Well loving done V2.

BSS doesn't have a great history of Writers visiting here though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well maybe if we try super hard we can just not be assholes?

Oh who am I kidding he'll be gone in a month

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

Well loving done V2.

BSS doesn't have a great history of Writers visiting here though.

Gail wouldn't stop signing her posts!

-Rhyno

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 3, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If I ever score a job writing comics you bet your bacon I'm going to start signing my posts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The mod at the time asked her very nicely to stop signing her posts and she continued to do so because as she said, that's just how it is on every other forum and then SgtRock burned her books in his sink.

-Rhyno

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 3, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what forum asks you to sign your posts

sounds...awful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think any do but it was a thing for a long time. Hell this forum still supports sig banners.

-Rhyno

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

site posted:

what forum asks you to sign your posts

sounds...awful

If you don't sign your posts, how can anyone be sure who wrote it?? Everything of that?

- Brett Kavanaugh

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enigmahfc posted:

If you don't sign your posts, how can anyone be sure who wrote it?? Everything of that?

- Brett Kavanaugh

I'm calling a vote to ban.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

enigmahfc posted:

- Brett Kavanaugh

clearly this post is a clinton hit job, ignore

-FFFFF, Bart

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Gail Simone used to run her own forum on comic book resources. Everyone signed their posts there. I think it’s a hold over from people having different user names than names for shilling their books so if Vulpes or Hyperactive want us to buy their books they have to start signing their posts. Sign your posts Vulpes!

Also if X-O is editing Rhyno’s posts to sign them he should be signing “-John Byrne”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I refuse to buy the books of artists that mingle among the common rabble.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This is the kind of thing that should be advertised on the cover.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

TBF I've lurked SA since like 2002 so I know the score

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 4, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have been here half my life.

HALF MY LIFE. ON THESE DEAD GAY FORUMS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

I have been here half my life.

HALF MY LIFE. ON THESE DEAD GAY FORUMS.

Shut up Gatts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I really dug the Flash Thompson Spider-Man issue of What If this week.

The X-Men What If? Uh... that was a comic that happened, yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I asked about Identity Crisis in the DC thread, I considered following up with this question there, but it's probably a better fit for this thread.

I feel like with DC, there are a few comics that cast a very long shadow and were widely emulated but, arguably, not necessarily for the better, and in the company's history since they were published there have been conscious attempts to adopt the thematic and aesthetic features of those books across all or at least a larger part of the line. Watchmen, Killing Joke and Identity Crisis are the three big ones in my mind.

My question is: does Marvel have any big equivalents?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Since I asked about Identity Crisis in the DC thread, I considered following up with this question there, but it's probably a better fit for this thread.

I feel like with DC, there are a few comics that cast a very long shadow and were widely emulated but, arguably, not necessarily for the better, and in the company's history since they were published there have been conscious attempts to adopt the thematic and aesthetic features of those books across all or at least a larger part of the line. Watchmen, Killing Joke and Identity Crisis are the three big ones in my mind.

Civil War, Avengers Disassembled as a story arc?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Age of Apocalypse maybe?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Gavok posted:

I really dug the Flash Thompson Spider-Man issue of What If this week.

The X-Men What If? Uh... that was a comic that happened, yeah.

Yeah that one was hot garbage.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Claremont's run on Uncanny cast a shadow so wide that it changed how DC wrote comics, too. Wolfman's Teen Titans and Batman and the Outsiders were direct reactions to the gigantic success of Uncanny X-Men.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Onmi posted:

Civil War, Avengers Disassembled as a story arc?

In terms of being well regarded by some, but actually being pretty bad? Yeah Avengers Disassembled fits the bill. Came out at around the same time as Identity Crisis too.

I still like Civil War, but can freely admit it has some really bad parts too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Shut up Gatts.

Still love you too, bro.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Secret War, Born Again, Death of Gwen Stacy, Dark Phoenix

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Android Blues posted:

Claremont's run on Uncanny cast a shadow so wide that it changed how DC wrote comics, too. Wolfman's Teen Titans and Batman and the Outsiders were direct reactions to the gigantic success of Uncanny X-Men.

Yeah, I feel like Marvel has its share of influential books and arcs, but they aren't quite as clearly defined as DC's. You can point here to Walter Simonson's Thor, Claremont's Uncanny, and stories like "The Death of Kraven."

Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye is getting up there if not already there. I feel like within the last few years I've seen a lot of books that are playing with the format the way Aja did, mostly indies like 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Secret War, Born Again, Death of Gwen Stacy, Dark Phoenix

Would add Days of Future past to that as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Would add Days of Future past to that as well.

Days of Future Past is literally just two issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The actual core Dark Phoenix storyline is only about six issues. There was definitely a lot of set up before that, but you also had a fair few stories where Jean is just a member of the X-Men as Phoenix and there's not necessarily a lot that's cosmically portentous about it.