Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ImplicitAssembler posted:

There's multiple issues with this:
How do you determine if the quality of the 'hit' was enough? Even if people say 'I got hit', they're often not aware of the blade angle, arc of the swing, etc. Heck, I've seen plenty of HEMA practice on youtube where someone get hit with the side of the blade and gives up a 'hit'
Similarly the amount 'hits' we give up in kendo free practice, compared to the amount that actually gets awarded in competition is probably at a ratio of 20:1. We simply aren't good enough to be able to effectively judge ourselves.
We also really don't know how much it'll take to disable a person...and if HEMA is supposed to be realistic, how can you complain about someone hitting too hard? "Sorry, I cut to death too hard"

The fact is that there no real way of doing realistic sparring with swords. You can simulate some aspects of it, but it will always have the limitation that we aren't actually cutting/killing each other.

Granted, I come from a kendo background, where it's purpose has been clear for years. While it still maintains link to traditional Japanese sword arts, it's very much it's own thing and HEMA still needs to figure what it wants to be.

Its a fair point and unfortunately there isn't some codified system in place that explains it out to everyone. Personally, we try and use our 'assessment of techniques' freeplay periods with a minimum of padding & armor (and a lot of control obviously), so that we can get more fine feedback on the hits. I can tell you with certainty that I can tell the difference between the flat of a blade hitting me or the edge, and even when the edge hits my skin glancing or perpendicular. Additionally there is obviously a little more pain involved (though again the point is to have enough control in freeplay that you're pulling 90% of the force out of your hits before they land), which I find gives me some taste of real threat, so it helps solidify my opinion of assessments vis-a-vis the risks involved and how comfortable I feel executing various techniques.

DandyLion fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
This is a bit of a hail mary, but are there any Australia goons that have experience with gyms in Sydney? I'm going down there in a few weeks for some vacation and I wouldn't mind trying to get some training in with Muai Thai or Bjj.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Heh... Look at these guys thinking there is not people insane enough to do live sparring with sharp swords...

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

CommonShore posted:

E.g. IMO another big problem with TKD and Kyokushin is the "no head punches" rule. This doesn't really undermine the sport's offense, but it does create a big defensive flaw right in the middle of the athlete's comfort zone when that rule is taken away, because there's an inside position where they're accustomed to being able to attack but a major target doesn't need to be defensively covered.

In my gym - just a normal weights gym, not martial arts - there's a group who train muay thai with no head shots. They have no equipment beyond pads, no ring or heavy bags, they always just have two pairs at once sparring in basically the little stretching area. It's kind of a weightlifting/bodybuilding gym so the guys are absolutely loving stacked, but they have no idea how to box. It's actually fascinating how badly it screws up the mechanics of boxing. You can't keep distance at all without jabs and straights. Basically attack is just walking into close range without a care in the world, leaning way forwards with their hands down (so the torso's pretty well covered, but they seem to have no idea their chins are just hanging out there) and throwing body shots. Defence is basically just turning sideways a bit and covering your torso with arms, at which point body shots become completely ineffective, you're just bashing their shoulder and forearms. So every exchange is just two massively hench dudes swaggering up and throwing body shots and the occassional leg kick until they get tired and break apart, over and over.

It's incredibly bizarre.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Magnus Manfist posted:

In my gym - just a normal weights gym, not martial arts - there's a group who train muay thai with no head shots. They have no equipment beyond pads, no ring or heavy bags, they always just have two pairs at once sparring in basically the little stretching area. It's kind of a weightlifting/bodybuilding gym so the guys are absolutely loving stacked, but they have no idea how to box. It's actually fascinating how badly it screws up the mechanics of boxing. You can't keep distance at all without jabs and straights. Basically attack is just walking into close range without a care in the world, leaning way forwards with their hands down (so the torso's pretty well covered, but they seem to have no idea their chins are just hanging out there) and throwing body shots. Defence is basically just turning sideways a bit and covering your torso with arms, at which point body shots become completely ineffective, you're just bashing their shoulder and forearms. So every exchange is just two massively hench dudes swaggering up and throwing body shots and the occassional leg kick until they get tired and break apart, over and over.

It's incredibly bizarre.

Take a video, please.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Take a video, please.

I keep tuning out between sets and realising I've been staring at them for like 5 minutes in what they definitely assume is admiration

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Magnus Manfist posted:

You can't keep distance at all without jabs and straights. Basically attack is just walking into close range without a care in the world, leaning way forwards with their hands down (so the torso's pretty well covered, but they seem to have no idea their chins are just hanging out there) and throwing body shots. Defence is basically just turning sideways a bit and covering your torso with arms, at which point body shots become completely ineffective,

A few rounds of no head shots sparring is good for testing your gas tank because of that inability to keep distance. Wade in just try to do damage to the body and get hit in the body in return. Definitely not a good basis for your overall technique, though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody have any experience with kids boxing? My kids have been doing Muay Thai and it's just been body shots, kicks, pads, bags, and drills. Nothing to the head.

The coach told us (all the parents) to get our kids mouthpieces and headgear for full sparring.

Is this ok? My gut tells me that kids shouldn't be taking any kind of blows to the head.

kimbo305 posted:

A few rounds of no head shots sparring is good for testing your gas tank because of that inability to keep distance. Wade in just try to do damage to the body and get hit in the body in return. Definitely not a good basis for your overall technique, though.

I deffo don't do head shots with people I don't know. There's a couple of old dad's like me that have the control to not take people's heads off, but there are a lot of guys who treat sparring like it's a fight for their life. No thanks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How old are the students? Imo, for kids, they have to really really want to do the sport, and even then, I'd only be comfortable with a kid doing it once a month or so. Having seen <10yos doing full power competition, chances of getting hit with damage equivalent to getting tackled are pretty low, but it could still happen.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

How old are the students? Imo, for kids, they have to really really want to do the sport, and even then, I'd only be comfortable with a kid doing it once a month or so. Having seen <10yos doing full power competition, chances of getting hit with damage equivalent to getting tackled are pretty low, but it could still happen.

Mine are 10 and 13. My 13 year old is tall with a kick like a baseball bat. My 10 year old is already over 100 pounds and has been heavy into BJJ for years (and has submitted me for not taking him seriously in a roll before). Both serious fighters.

However, I just don't know about the head stuff. I know boxing is great for kids, but I assumed that's from an exercise/discipline thing. I just assume blows to the head would come once they moved up to adult classes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think the more seriously they're wanting to compete in striking later, and the more seriously you're entertaining letting them do it, the better the instruction needs to be.
Not questioning the current coach at all, just saying protecting your kids' brains is of the utmost importance, and you can't take any undue risks with combat sports. So if you're not comfortable like that with the coach (in terms of being able to regulate the students and take all precautions), don't let them do it now.

Is the gym's curriculum set up such that you've never seen the same kids class already striking to the head for your own evaluation?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Is the gym's curriculum set up such that you've never seen the same kids class already striking to the head for your own evaluation?

This class has been going on for 8 weeks. They've been learning the basics, and building up from there. So these kids are all new to it and have poor control right now.

I'm going to keep my kids away from the head stuff in class. We already roll/drill at home so I can do head strikes and keep it safe for sure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't ever see myself grooming my kid to be an amateur fighter, but if I were, I'd probably have 80% of his/her training be pad work and technique training. The fighters who take the least damage are those with the best technique (and accordingly the best defense).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

I don't ever see myself grooming my kid to be an amateur fighter, but if I were, I'd probably have 80% of his/her training be pad work and technique training. The fighters who take the least damage are those with the best technique (and accordingly the best defense).

I'm hoping to raise the next Sage Northcutt, I don't have any kids yet so I'm just doing a lot of steroids and cocaine for now

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

My kids can make their own decisions on fighting when they become adults. We just ended up falling in with an MMA gym instead of the normal karate place that families seem to go to. Outside of this, my daughter is a cheerleader and my son is on the math team.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Magnus Manfist posted:

It's incredibly bizarre.

What's weird about these practices is that no-headshot sparring can actually be a good practice if it's tempered with head-defense drilling. Prince Naseem's gym was apparently a no-headshots place and it certainly didn't do anything to undermine his abilities.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The two times I did HEMA-style sparring we used blunt swords and light welding-jacket style armor and when I got hit I knew I'd been loving hit. There were no illusions about it. Death had been thoroughly simulated as much as it is when I tap to a choke.

Besides, by the "rules interfere with simulation" argument an NCAA wrestler or Olympic judoka would not know how to "really" fight, because those sports exist in a framework to obtain points and win matches. Those frameworks are just a method of determining superiority in the absence of death.

SCA heavy's the same way. The weapons are poor simulators for live steel, but you know when you get hit and it quickly changes your attitude regarding throwing away defense to get the kill when that hit's going to leave bruises. Some of that comes back in tourney players, sadly, but that's not my scene because I'm not good enough to play on that level. :)

General Emergency posted:

Heh... Look at these guys thinking there is not people insane enough to do live sparring with sharp swords...

Hooo boy. Yeah, they exist, and nothing would make me run the other way faster than 'how about controlled sparring with sharps'.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Cross post from the grappling thread:

https://www.tatamifightwear.com/products/nova-plus-bjj-gi-blue-free-white-belt?variant=50200115284

I am about to order this Gi, I have no idea how to figure out the sizing. I am 6'0 and wight 180lbs +/- 5lbs

I think according to the size chart, I'm A2L?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

willie_dee posted:

https://www.tatamifightwear.com/products/nova-plus-bjj-gi-blue-free-white-belt?variant=50200115284

I am about to order this Gi, I have no idea how to figure out the sizing. I am 6'0 and wight 180lbs +/- 5lbs

Does your gym have a closet of spare gi's to try on? I did that. Also, might want to think about getting a larger size so it will shrink down to your size.

I like to be able to wash/dry my gi's without worrying about shrinking.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody have any experience with kids boxing?

I was involved when boxing canada dropped competition age from 11 to 8. As Kimbo was saying I think you definitely have to be comfortable with the coach. A run of the mill MMA place might not be great.

The young kids don't really have the power to cause traumatic brain injury. I think I've witnessed 11yos punching each other in the head for entire 1.5 minute rounds without harm. I wouldn't want to allow kicks to the head tho.

e: also see if you can dig up Dana Carvey on the Norm MacDonald show talking about his dad making him fight other kids in his back yard - and never, ever do that

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 30, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Electric Slug posted:

This is a bit of a hail mary, but are there any Australia goons that have experience with gyms in Sydney? I'm going down there in a few weeks for some vacation and I wouldn't mind trying to get some training in with Muai Thai or Bjj.

I'm pretty sure there's an Absolute MMA there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Electric Slug posted:

VT1 is good. Where will you be staying?

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

willie_dee posted:

I'm 6'0", 175lbs +/- 5lbs. The gis I own didn't offer an A2L, so they're all A3. They all fit well enough although a slimmer A2L might be nice if I were thinking about competing.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I'm 6'0", 175lbs +/- 5lbs. The gis I own didn't offer an A2L, so they're all A3. They all fit well enough although a slimmer A2L might be nice if I were thinking about competing.

Thanks

Scruff_McGee
Mar 11, 2007

Thats a purdy smile
Muay Thai coach is teaching me the hard way to square up more and keep my leading shin pointed at the opponent - with repeated kicks to the back of my leading leg. I need to start learning faster because the day after I am real sore. Having a great time though 3 weeks in.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Hooo boy. Yeah, they exist, and nothing would make me run the other way faster than 'how about controlled sparring with sharps'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn372yYgivA&t=17s

Obviously :nms:

Apparently someone else in this same group died because they're doing stupid poo poo like this.

We have some unarmored, full-speed "secret" fencing that happens around here, but it's done with blunt swords and they fight to first blood on the highest point of the body. They also wear mensur goggles and pull their strikes so they (hopefully) don't give each other concussions. It's invite only and practiced by fencers who actually know what they're doing, but it's still mega stupid.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Scruff_McGee posted:

Muay Thai coach is teaching me the hard way to square up more and keep my leading shin pointed at the opponent - with repeated kicks to the back of my leading leg. I need to start learning faster because the day after I am real sore. Having a great time though 3 weeks in.

Yes, you definitely need to build a way to avoid getting tenderized there. Obviously you'll get more used to lighter kicks over time, but the hard ones will still have you hobbling.
Being ready to check the kick from the squared stance is certainly the MT answer to that hazard. Keeps you in range with the most attack options.

Having a more side stance needs to be facilitated with anticipating kicks, moving in and out of range, and using your kick before they kick. It's a more generic kickboxing style that makes clinch range less accessible.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Apparently someone else in this same group died because they're doing stupid poo poo like this.

I have no words.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Hey maybe don't post/quote something where the thumbnail is a horrific wound with exposed bone, thanks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Top of thumbnail: GRAPHIC WARNING
Middle of thumbnail: the graphic poo poo
Thanks for the warning, video maker.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I really don't understand the need to play with sharp weapons against flesh in any sort of context, unless you want to kill some dude.

As far as I've read on the subject wooden swords have been part of military training since at least the Romans. I couldn't imagine a culture with fighting in it would do anything like sharpened steel on skin for training, or even blunt steel on skin for training at near half speed. It makes no sense militarily speaking, you'd lose close to half of your trainees to attrition in the first day of steel sparring.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

We have some unarmored, full-speed "secret" fencing that happens around here, but it's done with blunt swords and they fight to first blood on the highest point of the body. They also wear mensur goggles and pull their strikes so they (hopefully) don't give each other concussions. It's invite only and practiced by fencers who actually know what they're doing, but it's still mega stupid.

That is, to put it lightly, dumb as gently caress. I mean, even if you're going to be dumb enough to spar with sharps, which I have to reiterate is so dumb that I'm not sure how they have two brain cells capable of communicating with each other across the vast emptiness in their skulls, why the gently caress would you do it without even so much as a loving gambeson? Have none of these idiots ever used a knife on meat? It does not take that much force to cut flesh.

Swordplay is fun, but man does it draw some really loving stupid people.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My thought is that these guys are like those early 20th century German dueling clubs where the point is getting wicked scares.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

My thought is that these guys are like those early 20th century German dueling clubs where the point is getting wicked scares.

It's likely that if we went back in time and visited such clubs we'd find that everyone involved was a weird goober

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CommonShore posted:

It's likely that if we went back in time and visited such clubs we'd find that everyone involved was a weird goober

I mean the Nazis were big into mensur so yeah it checks out

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

I mean the Nazis were big into mensur so yeah it checks out

Mmmm? I know it was a thing amongst the officer corps, but that existed prior to the nazis.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Mmmm? I know it was a thing amongst the officer corps, but that existed prior to the nazis.

It did but when nazis started taking over/dismantling certain fraternities they maintained the traditions, though I think they banned them eventually. I have a book on mensur somewhere, if I can dig it up I’ll share some of the photos. It was from a collection of mensur photographs taken between the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, really fascinating stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Even the crazy Mensur dudes wore gambesons that generally restricted their injuries to Manly Facial Scarring and fought with the point alone.

Those flailing shirtless idiots are going to accidentally lop parts off of each other.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 3, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody have a recommendation on a good book/dvd for muay thai training regimens?

Going to an hour+ long class 3, or 4, days a week is ok, but I don't think I'll really improve unless I do something on my own too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Going to an hour+ long class 3, or 4, days a week is ok, but I don't think I'll really improve unless I do something on my own too.

4 days a week sounds pretty good to me, in terms of growth. What kind of fighters are the coaches at your gym putting out?